Fighting Game Hype Thread

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Blinge

Re: The Fighting Games news thread

Post by Blinge »

but what about mash square to combo / even combo into super? :|
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
Pretas
Banned User

Post by Pretas »

I couldn't get into P4U at all. I don't like the style of fighter where every action feels like an elaborate special move and too much of the control is automated.

UNIB may also have single button autocombos, but they're easy to ignore as they don't produce any unique attacks like they do in Persona. Of course, UNIB has its own problems with Gordeau and Merkava completely running the show.
ACSeraph

Post by ACSeraph »

What people don't seem to realize about P4A is that at high level play those auto-combos are utterly useless for almost every character. They are garbage compared to what you can do if you actually learn to play, and someone relying on them has no chance against someone who doesn't. With my Akihiko I basically never use them.
<STG.1cc> 死ぬがよい <ACT.1cc>
null1024

Post by null1024 »

Landing UNIB's autocombos is fairly hard anyway, since hitting cleanly with your A attack so you can mash the autocombo is fairly hard [by design, because the autocombo does a respectable amount of damage].

or at least that's what it seemed like in the 5 hours I was able to spend playing the game with my friends
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
Pretas
Banned User

Post by Pretas »

Part of the P4U autocombo sequence still gets used in plenty of "manual" combos, though.
Doctor Butler

Post by Doctor Butler »

The auto-combos are actually dial-a-combos, producing unique attacks, like Pretas said. The specials and supers damage are scaled pretty significantly when triggered via auto-combo.

That said, even playing Arena at mid-level, I have to kinda force myself to enjoy it.

Arcana Heart is the shit, though.
ACSeraph

Post by ACSeraph »

Pretas wrote:Part of the P4U autocombo sequence still gets used in plenty of "manual" combos, though.
It's a pocket combo same as MvC2. After two hits you are locked out from canceling into your heavy basic attacks, so it basically makes no sense to go past that hit unless you don't know what you are doing. It's like jabbing twice before going into your main combo, I don't really see what feels automated about that.

The complaints about auto-combos only ever come from people who don't understand the game, to be totally frank.
KAI

Post by KAI »

Capcom and Dimps working on a new title
Rumble Fish 3? A new Darkstalkers?
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

ACSeraph wrote:
The complaints about auto-combos only ever come from people who don't understand the game, to be totally frank.
Guilty as charged. So the pro's don't use them evar?
I used think they should've added an option to turn them off, like stylish/technical modes from BB. But i guess after what you've said it makes sense.
KAI

Post by KAI »

Elfeldt, new "Gunner" "DLC" character for Guilty Gear Xrd
Bunnywaifu will be the Noel of the GG series.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

ACSeraph wrote:^My DLC had damn sure better carry over.
Looks like you're covered.

Though this makes me even more suspicious of the console developers' insistence that downloadable games and such you bought for their prior-gen systems couldn't possibly transfer to the newer ones...
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

SF2 Championship Edition on the Genesis / MD is being patched to fix voice sample playback, by the author of the Gens emulator:
http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.p ... 561.0.html
BIL

Post by BIL »

^Very cool. Maybe worth posting in the MD thread too. :mrgreen:

Too bad Capcom screwed the Z80 coding pooch back in the day. I think roughly 98.5% of EGM et al's Genesis SCE/SSF2 coverage consisted of variations on the word "laryngitis."
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Incidentally there was some sideways reference in that thread to the SNES' own sample problems: Apparently the system suffers similar sample size problems (what's a Nintendo console without something terribly hampered by a critically too-small buffer somewhere?) but offered the "fix" of filtering it, washing out some of the details. Afraid I don't have a better technical explanation, but it is suggestive at least.
null1024

Post by null1024 »

Ed Oscuro wrote:Incidentally there was some sideways reference in that thread to the SNES' own sample problems: Apparently the system suffers similar sample size problems (what's a Nintendo console without something terribly hampered by a critically too-small buffer somewhere?) but offered the "fix" of filtering it, washing out some of the details. Afraid I don't have a better technical explanation, but it is suggestive at least.
The SNES has all of 64kB for all song related data -- the sound CPU is pretty much a separate system from the SNES. You upload your samples to soundram, you upload your playroutine to soundram, and you have some sort of system to trigger samples for SFX [not entirely sure on the details of that, but I've made SPC tracks].
64kB isn't enough space to store both music samples and sfx. One or the other? You've a decent bit of room. Both? That's why voice samples sound so ass on the SNES. Not nearly enough room for decent quality voices. Like, you'd use all of the soundram with one nice sounding voice.

oh, and the samples are compressed to 4-bit ADPCM, which does affect the sample quality too
The filter really helps. Played back cleanly, there's a horrifying amount of aliasing in the samples.

The Genesis has you do all sample playback in software [kind of like the GBA, but the Genesis has far less CPU power going for it], so almost all quality issues are the fault of the developer [which is why this neat hack is possible]. One of the CPUs streams PCM audio to the DAC, where it's played back as is.
That being said, I have the raw SF2CE Genesis samples extracted [I can't remember where I got them from, heh], they aren't exactly high quality in the first place [understatement of the century].
hmm
She doesn't look too much like a GG character [as far as I can tell, that image is tiny and it doesn't seem like anyone has a better scan].
It's weird how normal she looks by GG standards.
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

That sounds pretty familiar now. That 64KB would be a lot of room to play with *if* the SNES sound system was synthesis based like the Yamaha, right? But, as you say, everything has to squeeze in there - bit of a shame.
Frenetic

Post by Frenetic »

West Coast Warzone was so hype (you were missed JelloMan581 and GDLKScrub!) Check out the archives at http://www.twitch.tv/leveluplive . It's one thing to watch it streaming but another to actually be there live! I was able to make it down there only after work (only 10 minutes away!) Though I missed the tournament, I was able to get in some casual matches. This salty guy who I had played at UCI who forced a runback because it was his setup after I bodied him with Dan was there.

I promptly went up to him, selected Dan and then proceeded to body him again. The sweet part was I did a frame trap into Dan's Ultra Shisso Buraiken. So sweet. I went for the handshake and said good game. All he did was stand up and shook his head no saying it wasn't a good game. Hotheads, people that lose their temper a lot really make gaming communities look bad, shmups included. Let's all have a good time, gosh darn it!

He couldn't immediately run it back because there were some nice girls waiting to play me. I chatted with them for a bit during the matches (ended up winning, one of the girl's Cody was quite good). I ended losing to another guy who was nice and had a good Cody. In all of the matches I shook their hands and said "Good Game."

I left the area not wanting to play Mr. Salty again and tried to setup Touhou PoFV but I didn't have Xpadder on my laptop at the time. So I ended up playing the My Little Pony fighting game with a nice guy who taught me the game and we ended up trading matches.

Good times, good times,
--the F-man
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Haha but dude when sodium levels increase to dangerous levels it's difficult to hold back a salt eruption. I threw my controller after playing friendlies with someone and getting bodied at the last smash bros tourney i went to.. Not my proudest moment but I apologized to the guy after a few minutes and he said he's seen a lot worse.

Is there any footage of this Dan beatdown?
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Frenetic wrote:I promptly went up to him, selected Dan and then proceeded to body him again.
Any Saikyo-ryu devotee is a friend of mine; I shake my arm approvingly in your general direction. :)
Frenetic

Post by Frenetic »

Oh yeah, I definitely can understand the salt eruption. I'm all for being ruthless in game, but out of game it's like be a gentleman. Have some sportsmanship...(shmupsmanship?) You're in the moment, but later you apologize.

But what really got me is when I was playing the other people is he was still so salty and being passive aggressive. One of the girl's arcade sticks wasn't working and as he reached over to reconfigure the driver he was all like, "IF YOU KNEW WHAT YOU WERE DOING YOU WOULD HAVE DONE THIS" and I was just like, whatever. He was also talking smack about me while I was playing to one of the onlookers. "Blah blah, he's spamming." The other guy was like, "Uhhh, Dan doesn't have many good moves." I love fighting games, but man, I'm almost 40 years old and I have some young guy literally talking s*** right behind my back.

I should have taken him aside and maybe just ask him to calm down and maybe given him some tips on chilling out and how to be more of a mature gamer. I could have told him that I've put in hours in the Saikyo dojo. I've been playing since Street Fighter 1 and I'm one of the top ranked Dans on Steam, etc. But I like to think of myself as a chill and happy dude and I am taken aback by people who can't control their tempers--I'd rather just avoid them and avoid the danger of escalating the situation.

No footage unfortunately. My dream is to get on the stream and show everyone the power of Saikyo in the next major.

Saikyo Forever,
the F(ail)-man
Blinge wrote:Haha but dude when sodium levels increase to dangerous levels it's difficult to hold back a salt eruption. I threw my controller after playing friendlies with someone and getting bodied at the last smash bros tourney i went to.. Not my proudest moment but I apologized to the guy after a few minutes and he said he's seen a lot worse.

Is there any footage of this Dan beatdown?
Last edited by Frenetic on Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:41 am, edited 4 times in total.
Frenetic

Post by Frenetic »

Thanks man, this means a lot!

Yahoo!

--the F-man
BulletMagnet wrote:
Frenetic wrote:I promptly went up to him, selected Dan and then proceeded to body him again.
Any Saikyo-ryu devotee is a friend of mine; I shake my arm approvingly in your general direction. :)
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

@Frenetic I think there's an argument that the death of the social gaming venue influences this kind of behaviour. I grew up in arcades, and there was always a handshake and often a brief chat when standing shoulder to shoulder.

Nowadays when I'm playing KOF in the arcade I always pop around to the other side of the Blast City or whatever to say a quick "good game", win or lose. It's very uncommon to do that in Asia (even in Tokyo playing Zero 2 the guy looked surprised) but it's a good habit to practice. I enjoy playing games and playing games with people, so it's more a 'thanks for playing this game with me' than any kind of judgement about the match itself.
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

KAI

Post by KAI »

soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

Wow, now i don't have to play them on a ps2 emulator. Great news.
ChurchOfSolipsism wrote:I'll make sure I'll download it illegally one day...
Khan

Post by Khan »

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuck! I already have 02um on live and was going to buy 98um since i just added some funds into my live account guess steam will be the way forward now, if they get the netcode right hot damn its going to be a good year for fg fans on steam BB,KOF13,GG:Isuka+x2Reload pretty soon I might have to throw my consoles away :D
RegalSin wrote:America also needs less Pale and Char Coal looking people and more Tan skinned people since tthis will eliminate the diffrence between dark and light.

Where could I E-mail or mail to if I want to address my ideas and Opinions?
KAI

Post by KAI »

Formless God

Post by Formless God »

GG already has May and Dizzy and this is what you call "moeshit"? Looks like a crossdresser to me. That manface.
Videos when?
RegalSin wrote:Then again sex is no diffrent then sticking a stick down some hole to make a female womenly or girl scream or make noise.
Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

Formless God wrote:That manface.
I think it's just the art style gives people triangular chins at that angle.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Out of curiosity, what's the general consensus on the Jojo's Bizarre Adventure HD port that was released a whille back? Or just the arcade game itself? Is it thought of as good by most fans but too 'weird' and the source manga/anime too 'niche to have mainsteam appeal?
ACSeraph

Post by ACSeraph »

^I can't get into it personally, and it's not the weird factor. Something about the fighting itself, combos and such, just doesn't feel good to me. Fast but stiff like VS. I think it isn't showing it's age well.