Recommended Youtube Channels

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
vol.2

Re: Recommended Youtube Channels

Post by vol.2 »

Possibly the best furniture restoration videos on all of youtube. AT Restorations out of Estonia. Great production values, interesting furniture choices, good personality makes the videos as entertaining as they are technical.

https://www.youtube.com/c/ATRestoration/videos
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

Guy named Ben who does awesome resto-mods out of mostly vintage japanese kei cars and trucks (and also some VW stuff).

It's Ben Modified
BIL

Post by BIL »

ScottishTeeVee - guy's personal archive of 80s-00s VHS recordings, mostly live music performances, uploaded with considerable TLC. Bit of tape hiss as to be expected. :cool: Lots of goodies! Here's The Sugarcubes on The Word with "Hit." Heed the lyrics, lads, and for the love of Christ: rubber it up! You don't want to drunkenly spunk up some crab-ridden slapper behind the kebab shop, then spend the rest of your good years getting ass-fucked for child support!

Oh! Speaking of deadbeats who should've rubbered up, or better yet, suck-started a sawed-off decades ago - it's Darrell Brooks! US President Joe Biden has really outdone himself, editing each day of the Waukesha parade murderer's trial down to reasonable runtimes. Now, Waukeshans may have rapped Ol' Joepedo's knuckles for his lackluster response after the parade massacre - but I think it's safe to say he's redeemed himself twice over with this project. Image
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

BIL wrote:ScottishTeeVee - guy's personal archive of 80s-00s VHS recordings, mostly live music performances, uploaded with considerable TLC. Bit of tape hiss as to be expected. :cool: Lots of goodies! Here's The Sugarcubes on The Word with "Hit." Heed the lyrics, lads, and for the love of Christ: rubber it up! You don't want to drunkenly spunk up some crab-ridden slapper behind the kebab shop, then spend the rest of your good years getting ass-fucked for child support!
cooool 8)

Haven't listened to the 'cubes in forever and a day.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Bjork was such a cutie BITD with them. I mean she's a cutie even now in a grandma way, but this some Janis Joplin no panties hippy broad shit :cool:

I'm such a dirty old man :shock: Image That little "thankyou!" at the end after shrieking and keening like a rockabilly banshee Image

Speaking of cuties, adorable glasses MILF battles her True Crime addiction by ripping on the crooks - like my favourite, a one Mr. D Brooks!
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

BIL wrote: Speaking of cuties, adorable glasses MILF battles her True Crime addiction by ripping on the crooks - like my favourite, a one Mr. D Brooks!
lol. That looks hilarious; I'll check it out.
Lander

Post by Lander »

Stumbled across this Quintet Retrospective from Indigo Gaming earlier; one for the long-form crowd.

Similar vibes to GVMERS in that it's (presumably) a core writer shopping out the narration work - which can result in a few dry reads - but it seems well-researched, and has high production value.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Anton Daniels presents the strongest blackman conversation in MURICA, tackling questions such as: What to do when little kids roll up strapped? How to reckon with the legacy of slavery and Jim Crow? And just who could support Darrell Brooks? (spoiler: exactly who you'd think!)

Godspeed these thoughtful men. ;-;7 And Jay Prince, too. He's a funny dude. I hope he leaves his racism and misogyny behind! Or at least stops picking up homeless chicks with chlamydia, fuck's sake man... 3;
Vexorg

Post by Vexorg »

Fire Department Chronicles - A firefighter green screens himself into scenes from some of the various popular fire/emergency drama shows and promptly rips 'em all a new one, pointing out the countless actions that would get them fired and/or killed if they tried that stuff in real life.
We want you, save our planet!
Xbox Live: Vexorg | The Sledgehammer - Version 2.0
BIL

Post by BIL »

Bruce Rivers The Criminal Lawyer tries to put a stop to all the self-snitchin. Funny dude! Also this is a TCAP crossover so I could not resist. :cool:
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

I watched this video today about an old guy in Japan who ages coffee in oak barrels for years and sells it for $1000 a cup. I saw in a TikTok video that you can also just get a teaspoon for like $25 if you want to try it. I really want to try it.
rapoon

Post by rapoon »

I’d fork over the $$$ to try it. Not expecting the perfect cup of coffee (it looks delicious), but a kick ass experience you can’t get anywhere else. I also want that gorgeous Meissen cup and saucer.
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

I have been watching this excellent series of short overviews/commentary on the James Bond films by Big Beak Entertainment. Highly recommended if you like Bond (or even if you don't they are incredibly entertaining).
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

Tim Hunkin spent the first half of 2020 remastering his excellent series, The Secret Life of Machines

Here's his episode on TV https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEW8QoJ ... =timhunkin
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

AI Lost Media is hard to look at sometimes, but it's the kind of thing we deserve.

Maybe I'm just a little fascinated by Jonathan Frakes.
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

lol. That's great. I've been watching similar stuff on TikTok
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

Today really enjoyed Josh Strife Hayes' "Was it Any Good" series. He did Deathtrap Dungeon, an oldie but baddie.
Lemnear

Post by Lemnear »

vol.2 wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 4:20 am Today really enjoyed Josh Strife Hayes' "Was it Any Good" series. He did Deathtrap Dungeon, an oldie but baddie.
:o i remember this game (never played but there was a trailer in Euro Demo 25).
Only later did i find out that was based on a Single Player RPG board game, around one of many campaigns.
Spoiler
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

TIL that Classic Game Room is back on Youtube as of 2024. It's not exactly the same as it used to be, but Mark is still fun to watch, and I really actually like his music that he's been putting out in the time he was gone. It's really fitting to have it instead of the video game music, which he can't have and still monetize his videos.

This episode contains a rather lengthy explanation of what's he's been up to. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10hYQtiu6RQ

In any case, it's light years better than any of the newer AVGN stuff, and I'm enjoying it so far. Help keep Mark on YT!
null1024

Post by null1024 »

Here are a bunch of channels that I regularly watch.

I like Usagi Electric a lot. Really cool restorations on extremely old computers. He's got a Bendix vacuum tube computer he's restoring, he semi-recently completed a restoration of a Centurion minicomputer [like, I genuinely never expected the project to go quite as well as it did], he's making his own vacuum tube computer for funsies, it's fantastic. Out of everyone I'm mentioning, he's probably my favorite to watch.

Ordinary Sausage is a living disaster and I love it. He makes "sausage", as in, he throws whatever the hell exists under God's domain into a sausage casing. There are a few times when I'm genuinely disappointed that he went for the dumb option either out of actual ignorance or desire for engagement vs making something properly edible.

I think FutureCanoe is pretty good. Just some guy who cooks, really. He has an obsession with not using a stand mixer, and some of his ingredient substitutions are... suspect at best, but it's just fun to watch. In a world of highly over-produced cooking channels, this is just some guy in a tiny apartment trying to make shit, and he's entertaining. You will absolutely see him screw up a recipe for literally no reason, however. He's not unskilled, although the complete lack of color grading on his video and the terrible lighting in his apartment means that nothing he makes looks like you'd expect in a cooking video.

Tasting History with Max Miller is 10/10 stuff. Easily my favorite cooking channel. It's a historical cooking channel that basically talks about history and uses food to connect us to it. Top notch presentation, the food is generally something you'd want to make [unless the episode is specifically about something unpleasant that was eaten in the past], I love it. I also watch too many cooking channels now.

I'm fairly fond of Kentucky Ballistics. He shoots cool guns. He's got a few goofy [and potentially annoying] gimmicks, like how he destroys a folding table every episode, but he's fun to watch and shows off some pretty rare stuff.

Sensei Seth is an interesting martial arts channel. He's a karateka who spends a lot of time interacting with other martial arts, promoting them and showcasing brief glimpses into how they work. Some of his presentation is a little odd to me in a way I can't explain, but in general, his videos are enjoyable and informative.

Ballistic High-Speed is stunningly cool. Excellent slo-mo gun and explosives footage, the presenters are entertaining, it's just great stuff. One of the presenters recently had a fairly rough incident with an RPG failure [they did a debriefing bit that really seems to indicate that it wasn't user error], but he's okay, and they've enhanced their safety protocols to avoid getting screwed by random chance when testing dangerous shit.

Chess Simp does various chess challenges against low-level players. Fairly fun to watch. Uses a TTS voice.

I absolutely love Retro Game Mechanics Explained, which goes into very technical dives into the code and mechanics of various classic games and console hardware features. The presentation is top notch, making what is otherwise extremely dense technical content much more manageable to understand. Extremely highly recommended.

Planet Clue is a neat channel that talks about random stuff from like 20+ years ago [at least nowadays, the oldest videos are about Animal Crossing].

Casual Geographic is a very good pop-zoology channel. Lots of interesting facts, the presenter is funny, it's well presented [at least, now -- his older videos are TikTok compilations, and suffer pretty badly in YouTube format]. I highly recommend this channel.

Daniel Thrasher's channel is funny, he does skits where he acts out all the parts. Lots of music related ones, but he's been branching out lately to general humor.

There's probably more [I follow a few strongmen like Eddie Hall and Thor Bjornsson, there are a few gaming channels I occasionally bother to watch, etc], but these are the channels I actively watch that aren't mega-staples like LGR.

tl;dr: watch Usagi Electric, Tasting History, and Casual Geographic, those are the three I like the most here.
Vexorg wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 7:46 pm Fire Department Chronicles - A firefighter green screens himself into scenes from some of the various popular fire/emergency drama shows and promptly rips 'em all a new one, pointing out the countless actions that would get them fired and/or killed if they tried that stuff in real life.
Ooh, I forgot about this guy, I love his stuff. I really like his reenactment of stuff that actually happened in particular, like this one.
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

null1024 wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:48 am Here are a bunch of channels that I regularly watch.

I like Usagi Electric a lot.
I watch Usagi. He was at VCF East in NJ Last Year and he gave a talk, it was fun. Also, Marc is pretty great and sort of up the same alley if you haven't checked him out yet. https://www.youtube.com/@CuriousMarc