GamerGate - and it's continuing aftermath.

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
orange808

Re: GamerGate - and it's continuing aftermath.

Post by orange808 »

Social media is for people that need a hobby or some structure in their work environment.

Also, this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imbehPQ08ZU

Yep. It's a joke. Get over it.
We apologise for the inconvenience
BIL

Post by BIL »

I don't care if social media stays or goes, as long as this multi-million dollar bunfight causes the cultural neuroses driving stuff like this:

To recede a little.

I'm dumb too, I don't want to get my knackers nailed to the floor IRL because I called someone the wrong colour a racist cracker asshole. :shock: (that's POC erasure AND cultural appropriation)
Zen
Banned User

Post by Zen »

BIL, "The Butcher", enjoying his visit to Disney World.

BIL

Post by BIL »

ty zen but I ain't messing with that furry mouse fuck :shock: all we can really do is contemplate the smoking crater where ol' JG once stood :oops:

I might take an eye out in a hellish DIY corridor beatdown if that Gummi Ship bollocks brings a fresh horde of scrubs knocking on the farm door, mind Image
Durandal

Post by Durandal »

meow
Xyga wrote:
chum wrote:the thing is that we actually go way back and have known each other on multiple websites, first clashing in a Naruto forum.
Liar. I've known you only from latexmachomen.com and pantysniffers.org forums.
Jonny2x4

Post by Jonny2x4 »

It's funny that the same people who were calling Ghostbusters fans sexist manbabies for not liking the all-female version are now campaigning against Black Buffy. You reap what you sow.
linko9

Post by linko9 »

Sorry, I have no idea what's going on in this thread, but "I urge you to retract your woof" said (I assume) entirely earnestly is hilarious/surreal. What a time to be alive.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

linko9 wrote:Sorry, I have no idea what's going on in this thread
A chronicle of the rise of modern day facism.
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

BIL

Post by BIL »

I cannot believe JUANITA-CHAN turned out to be just another...

GAMING RACISTS (・`ω´・)

This is clearly a perfectly woke production, and certain to repair Joss Whedon's catastrophically blown-out justice sphincter!
Spoiler
THATS THE FRESHEST MOVE I'VE EVER SEEN
Zerst

Post by Zerst »

I understand highlighting toxic self-promoters. But as far as the larger movement itself goes though, do you guys think more generally that there isn't actually a problem with people being total shitters towards women in particular, or is that kind of separate from all of this in your view?
Zen
Banned User

Post by Zen »

What "movement" do you refer to, Zerst?
Zerst

Post by Zerst »

Got my answer; thanks.
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

any internet movement is full of exceptional individuals because normal people don't worry about this kind of shit
and that's not even counting the people who jump on this shit and act like clowns for money like milo or whoever else was there
BIL

Post by BIL »

Zerst wrote:I understand highlighting toxic self-promoters.
Thank you Zerst, I'm glad someone out there understands our plight. (;`ω´;)

To fight to the end for Revolution 60's betrayed fanbase. (・`W´・)

TO THE VERY END (;`W´;)
But as far as the larger movement itself goes though, do you guys think more generally that there isn't actually a problem with people being total shitters towards women in particular
I don't think it's a hatred of women, or hatred in general, at the heart of the bunfight. Seems like revenge of the nerds meets standard-issue fuck you mom and dad tbh.

I could be wrong, I've made no secret of my bemusement at the whole thing. I'm unclear as to its exact scope and configuration too. I'm sure there's some real cunts out there under the general umbrella of "Jesus fuck, why are they shilling Depression Quest at us? I survived FMV gaming for this?!" But then I'm pretty sure they'd call both of us faggots for objecting to some of the ranker GG-affiliated material, like that gross "beat up Juanita" game (to name something I found offputting). Just like their opposite numbers would no doubt call me a misogynist for pointing out documented scams, and question your character for even discussing this. I don't care about those types either way, although admittedly the latter do amuse me.
or is that kind of separate from all of this in your view?
I believe women as a demographic are being used as cover for a bunch of scammers and miscellaneous shitty people. Some of whom are women, like Zoe Quinn and Jessica Price, and others who are simply ripoff artists with a nose for human shields, like John Flynt. The latter I distinguish from bonafide snake oil salesmen like JUANITA-CHAN, who I think was treated kinda harshly at first! Less so later on as she became more of a racketeer, eg the infamously piss-poor, swiftly-disavowed UN speech alongside Scammer #1.
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

Estimated delivery Feb 2017
$85000 well spent
why people defend that middle aged jobless ghoul pretending to be 20 and hip is beyond me
or god forbid say she's an important game developer
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

Zerst wrote:I understand highlighting toxic self-promoters. But as far as the larger movement itself goes though, do you guys think more generally that there isn't actually a problem with people being total shitters towards women in particular, or is that kind of separate from all of this in your view?
There is no tangible problem of people being “total shitters towards women in particular”, no. There are some people who are “shitters” generally, both male and female, whose behaviours impact both men and women. This has always been the case. It’s how the imperfect world works. Just be comfortable knowing that improvements in society, either by free will or government doctrine, has made western women the strongest and most empowered in the world today. They are not nearly as downtrodden as certain campaigners would have you believe.

There is, however, a beleaguered and desperate want by certain groups for there to be a genuine conglomerate of “shitters towards women” because it gives them sudden purpose. They can leap to a moral high ground atop a fabricated hay bail of imagined indignation and outrage and back-pat themselves for the good feels they feel for being so righteous. Helluva drug, moral superiority.

And to answer your question, I don’t think any of this is separate; it’s all one enormous, crappy, embarrassing mess of humanity, the same as the messes we’ve seen before and undoubtedly will see again.

I also implore people to stop using “toxic” to describe everything. It’s one of those buzzwords that grinds to the bone.

Durandal

Post by Durandal »

Skykid wrote: I also implore people to stop using “toxic” to describe everything. It’s one of those buzzwords that grinds to the bone.
Better rescind your words, bucko, else I'm going to be toxic at you!
Xyga wrote:
chum wrote:the thing is that we actually go way back and have known each other on multiple websites, first clashing in a Naruto forum.
Zerst

Post by Zerst »

BIL wrote:I don't think it's a hatred of women, or hatred in general, at the heart of the bunfight. Seems like revenge of the nerds meets standard-issue fuck you mom and dad tbh.
That's probably part of it, yeah. Though with the echo-chamber nature of Internet media consumption, wouldn't you say there's the risk of dysfunctional people taking the angst seriously and escalating from there?
BIL wrote:I believe women as a demographic are being used as cover for a bunch of scammers and miscellaneous shitty people.
True, but at the same time, I would argue that the scammers and shitty people are, themselves, providing noise cover for more general unhealthy behavior from a demographic that has cultivated socially-maladjusted sectors (e.g. MOBA, Call of Duty, Battle Royale games). I think at least part of the frustration from the left comes from this part being largely ignored in favor of giving all the attention to the former.

Skykid wrote:There is no tangible problem of people being “total shitters towards women in particular”, no. There are some people who are “shitters” generally, both male and female, whose behaviours impact both men and women. This has always been the case. It’s how the imperfect world works. Just be comfortable knowing that improvements in society, either by free will or government doctrine, has made western women the strongest and most empowered in the world today. They are not nearly as downtrodden as certain campaigners would have you believe.
Do you think there's an equivalence of men being spammed day and night with unsolicited notifications from thirsty individuals in a society that is becoming increasingly dependent on social media? If not, what's the analogue?
Last edited by Zerst on Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zen
Banned User

Post by Zen »

BIL wrote:I believe women as a demographic are being used as cover for a bunch of scammers and miscellaneous shitty people.
In my opinion (I don't presume to include BIL in my misogyny :wink: ) you have just defined "Feminism" and indeed, all of "Social" - Justice, in one succinct sentence.
Bananamatic wrote:why people defend that middle aged jobless ghoul pretending to be 20 and hip is beyond me
Because they are masochistic paypiggies?
Skykid wrote:There is, however, a beleaguered and desperate want by certain groups for there to be a genuine conglomerate of “shitters towards women” because it gives them sudden purpose. They can leap to a moral high ground atop a fabricated hay bail of imagined indignation and outrage and back-pat themselves for the good feels they feel for being so righteous. Helluva drug, moral superiority.
A sense of Moral superiority, sure, but fundamentally it gives them a sense of identity that they invariably lack.
I call these people "Vampire Hunters". The apex of their self worth is based on the Monsters that they create, to fill the vacuum of their soulless existence.
They live very exciting lives, what with Nazis, Racists, Misogynists around every corner.

Its not all fun and games, though. They end up actually creating the Monsters.
These fantasists, are the type that embrace "Communism", to further their self interests.
The very same "Communism", that effects a "Far Right" antidote, each . . . and . . . every . . . time.

Skykid wrote:I also implore people to stop using “toxic” to describe everything. It’s one of those buzzwords that grinds to the bone.
Stop resisting the (not at all fascistic) Newspeak, you fucking . . . Fascist!
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

Zerst wrote:from a demographic that has cultivated socially-maladjusted sectors (e.g. MOBA, Call of Duty, Battle Royale games)
the demographic is 15 year old kids and games being f2p and more accessible than ever
teenagers have always been socially maladjusted assholes with an inflated ego, they just moved from being assholes outside to being assholes online
Zerst wrote:Do you think there's an equivalence of men being spammed day and night with unsolicited notifications from thirsty individuals in a society that is becoming increasingly dependent on social media? If not, what's the analogue?
it's funny that the dudes beating themselves over being male and apologizing for everything are the ones who are scared to even talk to girls...usually because they're thirsty too
maybe even this whole nonsense started for the very same reason
the only solution to thirsty dudes is a final solution because they ruin everything
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

Do you think there's an equivalence of men being spammed day and night with unsolicited notifications from thirsty individuals in a society that is becoming increasingly dependent on social media?
No, but don’t inflate the issue. I’ve been verbally “harassed” by children in online gaming purely because they’re just that: children. It’s not something you dwell on for the rest of the day.

I firmly believe that women are harassed online to a greater degree than men because of their gender, and I don’t think that’s ok. I also don’t think it means the sky is falling, either. The internet is a world of faceless non-boundaries where you put yourself into a virtual space to interact. Some amount of distastefulness comes with the territory. I don’t suppose that if I walked down a high street and attempted to interact with every busy denizen that every one would be cordial to me. Quite the opposite.

You need to remember that online “harassment” has been boiled down to its lowest common denominator too - even making compliments can be perceived as a harassing action.

The point is, grow thicker skin. The world is complex and aggressive. There is no way to cotton pad every nook or wider extremity. And it’s not a global conspiracy to harangue women out of job roles and off of the internet; that’s a figment put forth by those selfishly seeking higher stature with weaponised moral designs.

BIL

Post by BIL »

Zerst wrote:
BIL wrote:I don't think it's a hatred of women, or hatred in general, at the heart of the bunfight. Seems like revenge of the nerds meets standard-issue fuck you mom and dad tbh.
That's probably part of it, yeah. Though with the echo-chamber nature of Internet media consumption, wouldn't you say there's the risk of dysfunctional people taking the angst seriously and escalating from there?
There are undoubtedly latent Mark David Chapmans lurking in all sorts of fandoms. Being perhaps charitable to GG, however, it seems unreasonable to hold a potential lunatic over the heads of dissatisfied gamers. Sounds a bit too close to indulging Brianna Wu's flagrantly manufactured home evacuations and Massachusetts Death Races.
True, but at the same time, I would argue that the scammers and shitty people are, themselves, providing noise cover for more general unhealthy behavior from a demographic that has cultivated socially-maladjusted sectors (e.g. MOBA, Call of Duty, Battle Royale games). I think at least part of the frustration from the left comes from this part being largely ignored in favor of giving all the attention to the former.
These jokers can't generate that level of noise unaided, though, and again being charitable to GG: I don't think they were the movement's target. Rather, it was their enablers in the press. The old party line, yes, but the media's unquestioning promotion of these characters and their narrative remains. See the ongoing Jessica Price incident, sneering abuse spun with all the press's might into a heroic stand against the patriarchy. Zoe Quinn has yet again taken the money and ran, as her recent DC Comics deal receives glowing coverage. Wu remains a celebrated game developer and the world's foremost expert on cybersecurity. Surely she'll patch her uncompletably broken game for its upcoming second anniversary. To borrow a since-unemployed journalist's term, the megaphone is real, and four years on it's still being used to push one frowzy bill of goods.

As a detached observer I find it bleakly amusing, especially Wu - a vaporous eldritch nothing, bred of utter journalistic dereliction - but I can imagine how frustrating this gets for anyone invested in current gaming. Surely there are also those of no ulterior motives or ingrained hatreds who simply find witch rubbing games skeevy, and they have my sympathies also. I hope I've not become part of that megaphone and made their lot worse with my shitposting, even in our tiny corner of the internet. Sheeit. Image

Unsure what can or even should be done about COD miscreants. Not making excuses for bad behaviour, it just seems endemic to anonymous online communication, and an issue well beyond this bunfight's scope. TBH I'm not certain they are part of this divide, so much as an idly feral third party. The only documented SWATting victim I know of is pro-GG's harmless, boneless Mundane Matt.
Zen wrote:In my opinion (I don't presume to include BIL in my misogyny :wink: )
Sadly I think we've all long since hit Doritos Code Exterminatus: Spicy Haraam and must live out our days as marked men, but much obliged regardless Image
Last edited by BIL on Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

These threads' constant use of spicy doritos, cheetos and other shit and other such shit makes my bowels undulate.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Do you like it?! (・`ω´・)

Wait, what the -

Spoiler

Image Image Image

"Or you can just leave it broken, like my game." Buckle up Massachusetts District 8! Great CYBER SECURITY for all is coming!
orange808

Post by orange808 »

BIL wrote:Do you like it?! (・`ω´・)

Wait, what the -

Spoiler

Image Image Image

"Or you can just leave it broken, like my game." Buckle up Massachusetts District 8! Great CYBER SECURITY for all is coming!
Wow. That's classic.

People that don't hold an accredited degree in computer science shouldn't ever comment on coding safer software.

There's no such thing as computer security; it can't be done. If you want secure information, lock it in a file cabinet and hire armed guards. Don't leave your personal information laying about on your computer.

I'm not an engineer, so I don't go round telling people how to design bridges and roads. I would appreciate the same courtesy.
We apologise for the inconvenience
Durandal

Post by Durandal »

Xyga wrote:
z0mbie90

Post by z0mbie90 »

Too be fair, he probably had a hard time getting past the tutorial, so if he can't get further he had no other choice! 8)
BIL

Post by BIL »

z0mbie90 wrote:
Too be fair, he probably had a hard time getting past the tutorial, so if he can't get further he had no other choice! 8)
Somebody get that pigeon on the phone, the motherfucker's earned his shot. :lol:

EDIT:

OMG

PLS HALP :O

MUNDANE MATT IS GOING 2 KILL HE SELF!!! Image

Back from the old school. A real full circle (jerk), naw mean. :cool:

BAH GAWD STAHP
Zen
Banned User

Post by Zen »

BIL wrote:Back from the old school. A real full circle (jerk), naw mean.
Yes.

Yes I do.

Let me tell you of the days of high conspiracy and manufactured outrage -
(Wherein, a phantom enemy was created for clicks, lols and cultural war) ; https://youtu.be/5ZY2mRG5mzg?t=62

And so; the riddle of GG becomes myth and will eventually be lost.
Sly Cherry Chunks

Post by Sly Cherry Chunks »

BIL wrote:Image
Did Matt Loter get him?
The biggest unanswered question is where is the money? [1CCS]