The Pinball Thread

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
BrianC

Re: The Pinball Thread

Post by BrianC »

At least it's not based on the recent reboot.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Might as well just ship the tables straight into a landfill .. :lol:
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

lol. One thing I liked about the new Star Wars table is how it used a LED screen instead of the standard DMD.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Still need to at least watch some footage of that one. And yeah, Stern took way too long to jump on the LCD train. I heard they actually saved money on manufacturing by using cheap LCDs compared to DMDs which are harder to source.
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

At the 2017 California Extreme show, there were a grand total of nine Stern 2017 Star Wars pinball machines set on "Free Play". It was quite popular during the show's two day run. In fact, Stern donated a brand new SW pin as the grand prize raffle with the winner claiming it at the end of the CAX show on Sunday evening (I was the very last person to play it before the winner came to collect it as his very own).

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Ugh, I think I found a table I actually really can't stand. Avatar. What went wrong with this table? Just shooting the targets causes your ball to drain right down the middle almost every time. Seems like the complaints are mirrored in reviews I've read online. First time I tried a simulation of it, I honestly thought it was busted or just poorly recreated. Then I tried another one, and it was the same thing. lol

Also there's a TMNT table I didn't even know existed, it's not that bad but honestly I'm beyond terrible at it. I can't get a single shot into a ramp 9 times out of 10. This time it's entirely my own failings .. lol
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Udderdude wrote:Ugh, I think I found a table I actually really can't stand. Avatar. What went wrong with this table? Just shooting the targets causes your ball to drain right down the middle almost every time. Seems like the complaints are mirrored in reviews I've read online. First time I tried a simulation of it, I honestly thought it was busted or just poorly recreated. Then I tried another one, and it was the same thing. lol
I remember the table not being so hot as well. I played it at the Baltimore Pinball Museum.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

There was another Iron Maiden stream, this time they actually saved it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=456THtyKy7s
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Sweet. Another table with full color screen!
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Yeah, I don't think Stern is going back to old style DMDs. The new stuff they came up with looks a little rough around the edges, but still better than stock reused movie footage.

Also, I found this vid and just have to share .. :lol: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpdZQ2--h9I
boagman

Post by boagman »

I've been spending some more time on Game of Thrones, and it's better than I thought it was.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Iron Maiden table sighting - Barcade on St. Marks in NY.

It has one volume, loud as fuck. Didn't play it yet, but it more than looks worth a trip back just to play it.
My lord, I have come for you.
wgogh

Post by wgogh »

Good to see that this thread lives! I was in a Pinball club just yesterday and they got some rare ones. I played a simple Conan table that is similar to the ones Taito used to do. Not a single recent table, but some modern ones like Monster Bash. Always great fun.
We also had a Galaga tournment.
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

Pleased to see more and more tables finally doing full color screens. Yeah, I like DMDs, but I also like alphanumerics... and I also liked Pinball 2000. Frustrating to think it took this long for anyone to really try their hand at it.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
caldwert

Post by caldwert »

It took Jersey Jack coming in, to kick Stern in the ass to do anything different than what they'd done for the past 20 years. Ironically, Stern's use of a video screen is much easier to follow than JJP's.
ikaruga007

Post by ikaruga007 »

boagman wrote:I've been spending some more time on Game of Thrones, and it's better than I thought it was.
Same here. Somewhat ugly artwork and a play field that looks a bit stripped of interesting features, but it really feels good to shoot and has nice flow and rules. Really enjoying it now.
poptart

Post by poptart »

Despatche wrote:Pleased to see more and more tables finally doing full color screens. Yeah, I like DMDs, but I also like alphanumerics... and I also liked Pinball 2000. Frustrating to think it took this long for anyone to really try their hand at it.
I dunno why tbh, screens add nothing to the game as witnessed by the pinball 2000 tables all being garbage.
orange808

Post by orange808 »

poptart wrote:
Despatche wrote:Pleased to see more and more tables finally doing full color screens. Yeah, I like DMDs, but I also like alphanumerics... and I also liked Pinball 2000. Frustrating to think it took this long for anyone to really try their hand at it.
I dunno why tbh, screens add nothing to the game as witnessed by the pinball 2000 tables all being garbage.
The screen is a nice touch on the Jersey Jack The Wizard of Oz table, so it depends...
We apologise for the inconvenience
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

ikaruga007 wrote:Somewhat ugly artwork and a play field that looks a bit stripped of interesting features, but it really feels good to shoot and has nice flow and rules.
I feel like this describes a lot of licensed Stern tables .. :lol:
Last edited by Udderdude on Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

poptart wrote:
Only two were released. Phantom Menace having a limited ruleset was more the fault of Lucasfilm. I found Revenge from Mars to be very nice, myself, even though it doesn't quite live up to the original.
604_degrees

Post by 604_degrees »

I recall this game I've played back in a day on my DOS machine, but can't trace it. At all. I've googled a ton of texts, pics and vids for the past month, every game database I could, even for the consoles, and still got no clues! Literally, I thought that video games are much more better documented nowadays, I was so wrong.

I can't say anything 100% sure (as my memory probably has retouched the details), but it was space-themed, with blueish colors, very tall table design (two or maybe even three 'storeys'), triggable ufo enemies and mini-bosses, and tons of bonuses (multi-ball, door block), features and mini games.

Psycho Pinball ('The Abyss' table) is the closest reference (feature-wise and by overall impression), but the overall feel was much more like in 'Battle Pinball' on SNES or 'Dragon's Revenge' on Genesis due to all this enemies and more dense atmosphere).

If you heard anything about this game I will appreciate any help/info.

boagman

Post by boagman »

ikaruga007 wrote:
boagman wrote:I've been spending some more time on Game of Thrones, and it's better than I thought it was.
Same here. Somewhat ugly artwork and a play field that looks a bit stripped of interesting features, but it really feels good to shoot and has nice flow and rules. Really enjoying it now.
Agreed, especially on the Pro. That thing *really* looks spartan when compared to others of its ilk, but playing the Pro is, indeed, a lot of fun. Fortunately for me, I also have either a Premium or an LE on location relatively close to me that I can play as well, and that, in contrast, isn't spartan *at all*...but plays vastly different from its Pro companion.
boagman

Post by boagman »

poptart wrote:
You want to call SW:E1 a piece of garbage? No one is going to argue with you...no one. Well, *almost* no one. I guess every game is someone's favorite out there, but SW:E1 is generally viewed with disdain by everyone. Even the design team won't defend it all that much, but I don't really blame them for all of its ills. Back then, Lucas was absolutely, completely, and in all stinking ways *TERRIBLE* for licensees to work with, and the whole design team was sequestered in the building away from all the other pinball people, and the software team lived in fear of every little thing they did being rejected by Lucas' people (they couldn't *believe* that they got approval for Jedi Musical Chairs, if you can believe it...). The whole thing, stem-to-stern, was just awful, and the WMS team just got crippled too much.

But RFM? Dude...RFM is pretty good, and that's coming from someone who *HATES* AFM.
boagman

Post by boagman »

Udderdude wrote:
ikaruga007 wrote:Somewhat ugly artwork and a play field that looks a bit stripped of interesting features, but it really feels good to shoot and has nice flow and rules.
It can be the case, especially on the Pro versions. Some of the Premium tables are worth the, er, premium. Ghostbusters would be a terrific example of that.
boagman

Post by boagman »

BrianC wrote:
poptart wrote:
Only two were released. Phantom Menace having a limited ruleset was more the fault of Lucasfilm. I found Revenge from Mars to be very nice, myself, even though it doesn't quite live up to the original.
Sorry I missed this before I made my statement. Our views are very similar.
poptart

Post by poptart »

boagman wrote:
But RFM? Dude...RFM is pretty good, and that's coming from someone who *HATES* AFM.
Well that's certainly not a common view but i respect it, AFM is a classic, the table is well balanced, satisfying shots (middle can be a bit of a troll) the modes are great etc where as i felt RFM never lived up to it and doesn't have the flow or the balance of the original (not quite BoP tier inbalance though) but fair enough everyone has their taste. Addams family and twilight zone are my hated tables that everyone seems to love.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

boagman wrote:
Udderdude wrote:
It can be the case, especially on the Pro versions. Some of the Premium tables are worth the, er, premium. Ghostbusters would be a terrific example of that.
Yeah, Ghostbusters has some nice artwork for sure, I'm thinking more like The Sopranos, which has to be one of the ugliest, lazy, most garrish tables ever.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Some Deadpool footage is up. https://youtu.be/L4RLFqdFf4U?t=16m23s
boagman

Post by boagman »

And the Deadpool Pro I played was absolute *GARBAGE*...