shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum
 
* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:23 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1011 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: FALCOM Thread
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:59 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 12 Jan 2013
Posts: 5741
I would say Seven at least (and MoC, since according to Durandal it's almost identical to 7) is a very, very different beast from 8.

Seven is basically just Felghana/Origin if you took out everything that made those games fun. It's got the same overall game structure as those titles: an almost entirely linear procession of simple combat/terrain gauntlets punctuated by returning to town for some story and shopping. They're all really more like tight action games pretending to be rpg's than anything. The problem was that Seven ends up being a boring version of Felghana/Origin due to losing jumping and flash guarding simplifying everything, in addition to a number of little minor nitpicks throughout. It's a decent game if you don't mind something mindless, but otherwise I don't recommend playing it even once tbh.

8 on the other hand is structurally more akin to a legend of zelda or metroid or a 16-bit jrpg. It's still technically linear in the sense that you go from point A to point B to advance the story, but there's more emphasis on discovering the way to Point B, the world is bigger and more interconnected with more nooks and crannies to explore along the way, you have much more side stuff and content to discover on the side, and you're frequently re-exploring old areas to find new paths or just new stuff etc. I honestly think the world design in 8 is straight up fantastic, it really channels that oldschool "big and open enough to be interesting, small and tight enough to avoid being boring and aimless" feel of classic 16 bit rpg's and adventure games. So if you think of it as a fast paced answer to classic zelda/metroid/jrpg's, I think it works extremely well (in spite of the repetitive boss fights).
_________________
RegalSin wrote:
Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.

Aeon Zenith - My STG.


Last edited by Squire Grooktook on Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: FALCOM Thread
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:26 am 


User avatar

Joined: 09 Jul 2017
Posts: 1980
Location: Eating the Rich
I didn't mean they were identical for gameplay. Definitely some differences. I was just saying neither blew me away like some of the previous games did.
_________________
I'm a prisoner in my own mind. I feel like these walls talkin' to me. I feel like these walls talkin' to me (in my own mind).


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: FALCOM Thread
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:37 am 


User avatar

Joined: 18 Feb 2011
Posts: 5474
Location: Denmarku
HELLEPHANT wrote:
Big fan of the older games (especially Oath and Origin)



Image


Top
 Online Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: FALCOM Thread
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:14 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 09 Jul 2017
Posts: 1980
Location: Eating the Rich
We are now elderly at this point Sumez.
_________________
I'm a prisoner in my own mind. I feel like these walls talkin' to me. I feel like these walls talkin' to me (in my own mind).


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: FALCOM Thread
PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:47 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 21 Jan 2010
Posts: 4472
Location: Joker Star Galaxy, Argentina
This must be the Falcomest day ever:

New trails game announced
Image
https://gematsu.com/2019/12/the-legend- ... ed-for-ps4
and the main visual confirms (?) that Nayuta Endless Trails is canon to the main kiseki universe


Zero and Ao no kiseki are getting rereleases on ps4
Image


there's a new game teased on the portal site of the series
https://www2.falcom.co.jp/kiseki/


The pc port of Cold Steel 3 was leaked by NISA and apparently will be announced at PAX 2020



Perfect timming since I'm halfway through Cold Steel 2 right now and I'm starving for more Kiseki.
_________________
Image


Last edited by KAI on Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: FALCOM Thread
PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:50 am 


User avatar

Joined: 11 Apr 2012
Posts: 823
Location: Germany
Hopefully we will get Trails of Cold Steel IV, Ys IX soon and also announcements for western releases of Ao and Zero on PS4.
Just finished Cold Steel III 2 days ago at 71 hours playtime, as massive game.
_________________
My PCB Collection (12): Cyvern, Akuu Gallet, Fire Shark, Truxton 2, Dogyuun, Vimana, V-V, Outzone, Phelios, R-Type Leo, DoDonPachi, Daisenpuu


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: FALCOM Thread
PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:17 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 01 Apr 2009
Posts: 1369
Location: England
^^ I broke 100 hours yesterday and I just started the 4th chapter :o


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: FALCOM Thread
PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:35 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 12 Jan 2013
Posts: 5741
Great news, very interested in the Ao series.

Will take me a while to get back into the series, since I want to finish some TRPG campaigns first. But looking forward to it.
_________________
RegalSin wrote:
Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.

Aeon Zenith - My STG.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: FALCOM Thread
PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:11 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 09 Jul 2017
Posts: 1980
Location: Eating the Rich
Mero wrote:
^^ I broke 100 hours yesterday and I just started the 4th chapter :o


Yiiiiikes.

I need to get caught up on Cold Steel but the length kinda puts me off it. Did enjoy the first one though.
_________________
I'm a prisoner in my own mind. I feel like these walls talkin' to me. I feel like these walls talkin' to me (in my own mind).


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: FALCOM Thread
PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:28 am 


User avatar

Joined: 21 Jan 2010
Posts: 4472
Location: Joker Star Galaxy, Argentina
Fxxxing finally!!

Durante fixed Ys Dana
https://www.siliconera.com/ys-8-multipl ... nts-added/


And NISA announced Cold Steel 3 for Steam and GoG
https://www.siliconera.com/classes-begi ... h-23-2020/
_________________
Image


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: FALCOM Thread
PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:09 am 


User avatar

Joined: 08 May 2008
Posts: 3438
I was thinking of giving VIII another spin anyway! Too bad I'll have to wait seven months for the patch to hit GOG.
_________________
A wealthy oligarch and two working-class dudes, one black one white, sit at a table with ten cookies.

The oligarch grabs nine cookies for himself then says to the white dude, "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: FALCOM Thread
PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:16 am 


User avatar

Joined: 08 May 2008
Posts: 3438
Just DL'ed the newly patched version tonight. This patch is legit, the game does look significantly better with the improved shading:

Image

My waifu Laxia's hot pants benefit significantly from the new HBAO post processing.

No crashes or obvious bugs so far, but I'm only just past the first boss.
_________________
A wealthy oligarch and two working-class dudes, one black one white, sit at a table with ten cookies.

The oligarch grabs nine cookies for himself then says to the white dude, "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: FALCOM Thread
PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:22 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 07 Nov 2005
Posts: 1837
Location: Finland
Picked up Ys VIII PC because of the patch & finished a inferno playthrough today. Game looks really nice and runs smooth. Didn't encounter any kind of bugs. Some typos in the journal but that's about it.

Really great game, though I wish the later bosses were less of a flash guard fest (long active attacks just allow the player to mash it). Seems like you get less XP on the higher difficulties.. I ended up grinding a bit for the very last boss because of.. things. But most of the time being underleveled by ~5-10 levels on endgame was totally playable. Gameplay (and maybe story-telling?) wise I think I enjoyed Dana's sections the most.

A friend recommended going with inferno since it speeds up enemy attack animations & that did seem like the right call. Both more engaging experience and the fights go faster since you spend less time waiting between counterattacks. For what squire says about rebalancing combat.. I think evading has less cancel windows than guard so you could take that difference further. Evade is already better than guard in many situations especially if bosses have short openings. Some late-game equipment have crit modifiers making flash guard a little less important too.

I played through Zero and Ao translation patches some years back. But Trails SC still the overall favorite for me probably because of the character dialogue / story. Ao takes the mechanics further (better combat, convenience features) and has a lot going on but the world didn't grip me as much. Can't go wrong with zero & ao though, it might have just been the order in which I played the games.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: FALCOM Thread
PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:01 am 


User avatar

Joined: 12 Jan 2013
Posts: 5741
Speaking of surprise updates, Oath in Felghana updated to include optional use of the psp games english voice acting as well as the pc-88 and x68 soundtracks.
_________________
RegalSin wrote:
Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.

Aeon Zenith - My STG.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: FALCOM Thread
PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:52 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 01 Feb 2018
Posts: 87
Location: Brazil
Squire Grooktook wrote:


And what a fantastic surprise it is! Can't believe they managed to make that game even better.

That soundtrack is top-tier Falcom stuff, one can never have too much of it.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: FALCOM Thread
PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:10 am 


User avatar

Joined: 28 Jan 2005
Posts: 1442
Location: USH
Thanks for the heads up. Looks like GOG has the Oath update as well.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: FALCOM Thread
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:16 am 


User avatar

Joined: 12 Jan 2013
Posts: 5741
Image

Completed an Inferno Mode playthrough of Felghana a few weeks ago. Overall loved it. I still think YS Origin is a slightly better and more consistent game with better bosses at the cost of never having a "high" quite as exhilarating as Valestein Castle.

I wrote up a "rating scale" of each area and boss at the time, if interested:

Spoiler: show
Mines 1 = 7/10 <- solid intro stage
Dularn 1 = 6/10 <- his homing knives are kinda not fun to dodge without a speed boost or double jump, but otherwise fine
Mines 1 Boss = 7/10 = fight's a little simple, but charmingly so.
Ruins = 9/10 = great enemy variety and music
Chester 1 = 6/10 = fun boss but taken down massively on nightmare/inferno due to second phase becoming luckshit
Lava Cave = 6/10 = Most of the enemies here are kinda boring
Lava Worm = 7/10 = takes a little bit of time and can be frustrating to figure out his tells, but otherwise a fun fight
Fire Wyvern = 0/10 = worst boss in the game
Mines 2 = 8/10 = Very fun, intense dungeon crawl. Lots of platforming and solid enemy variety
Mines 2 Boss (Crystal thingy) = 7/10 = has some fun danmaku-esque patterns, though I find punishing the tentacle on the first phase with the slippery blood is annoying and not fun.
Icy Mountain = 6/10 = It's not bad but I find the enemies here a liiiiiil boring and the place feels like a slog situated as it is between Mines 2 and Valestein Castle
Harpies = 8/10 = Cool boss. Not too much memorizer bullshit and a lot of tough but fun to dodge patterns and variety
Icy Caves = 6/10 = Same as mountains. Just kinda eh imo. Also worst visuals in the game, it's just a big sloppy mess of bluish-white.
Ice Dragon = 5/10 = almost fun but too much of a memorizer hate fuck and too much finnickiness in dealing with him. Always glad to get past this guy.
Valestein Castle = 10/10 = BEST STAGE EVER. Platforming! Incredibly fun enemies! It's got it all.
Death Falcon = 7/10 = Cool boss tho his ultimate charge attack is really cheap and will always hit you if he does it when you're in a bad spot. Take some points off for that
Wolf = 7/10 = not nearly as hard as death falcon, though the sidescrolling format for the fight is a little boring, and it's mostly just a fight of attrition and punishing him in the corner. Innofensive.
Clockwork Knight = 8/10 = Hated this guy on first playthrough but had a much easier time with him this time. Pretty fun to run around him dodging his shit, and aside from the uber fast random laser, not too much bullshit
Chester 2 = 9/10. Incredible danmaku battle in the second phase. Absolute balls to the walls. Subtracting 1 point for a few minor annoyances
Dularn 2 = 7/10 = Much more fun to dodge her normal stuff with the double jump and speed boost, but the lasers on last phase have a bit too much depth perception wonkiness for my tastes.
Final Dungeon = 8/10 = Enjoyable last dungeon. Lots of platforming, but the enemies are overal less fun to fight than the ones in Valestein Castle (should have put in the giant lizards and skeleton knights earlier, you spend too long fighting fucking bats and jumpy bugs in the first half of the dungeon)
Galbalan = 9/10 = To giant monsters what Chester 2 is to single duels. Absolutely crazy platforming hell and the scope and creativity of the fight is insane. Loses a point for some depth perception issues on his purple bullets attack


It cannot be understated how garbage the Fire Wyvern fight is on Inferno (rng can make him flip every platform thus making it literally impossible to dodge), or how fantastic Valestein Castle is with its wicked platforming and killer, creative enemies that are all ludicrously fun to fight.

Still, one of the best games ever made.
_________________
RegalSin wrote:
Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.

Aeon Zenith - My STG.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: FALCOM Thread
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:36 pm 



Joined: 29 Sep 2019
Posts: 9
Squire Grooktook wrote:
It cannot be understated how garbage the Fire Wyvern fight is on Inferno (rng can make him flip every platform thus making it literally impossible to dodge), o



Nah, it's possible, albiet very difficult (what did we expect, it's called "Nightmare" XD)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWPpddBo-xY

There's a way to dodge the fire wave attack too but I don't have a video for that :twisted:


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: FALCOM Thread
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:01 am 


User avatar

Joined: 01 Feb 2018
Posts: 87
Location: Brazil
Squire Grooktook wrote:
Image

Completed an Inferno Mode playthrough of Felghana a few weeks ago. Overall loved it. I still think YS Origin is a slightly better and more consistent game with better bosses at the cost of never having a "high" quite as exhilarating as Valestein Castle.

I wrote up a "rating scale" of each area and boss at the time, if interested:

Spoiler: show
Mines 1 = 7/10 <- solid intro stage
Dularn 1 = 6/10 <- his homing knives are kinda not fun to dodge without a speed boost or double jump, but otherwise fine
Mines 1 Boss = 7/10 = fight's a little simple, but charmingly so.
Ruins = 9/10 = great enemy variety and music
Chester 1 = 6/10 = fun boss but taken down massively on nightmare/inferno due to second phase becoming luckshit
Lava Cave = 6/10 = Most of the enemies here are kinda boring
Lava Worm = 7/10 = takes a little bit of time and can be frustrating to figure out his tells, but otherwise a fun fight
Fire Wyvern = 0/10 = worst boss in the game
Mines 2 = 8/10 = Very fun, intense dungeon crawl. Lots of platforming and solid enemy variety
Mines 2 Boss (Crystal thingy) = 7/10 = has some fun danmaku-esque patterns, though I find punishing the tentacle on the first phase with the slippery blood is annoying and not fun.
Icy Mountain = 6/10 = It's not bad but I find the enemies here a liiiiiil boring and the place feels like a slog situated as it is between Mines 2 and Valestein Castle
Harpies = 8/10 = Cool boss. Not too much memorizer bullshit and a lot of tough but fun to dodge patterns and variety
Icy Caves = 6/10 = Same as mountains. Just kinda eh imo. Also worst visuals in the game, it's just a big sloppy mess of bluish-white.
Ice Dragon = 5/10 = almost fun but too much of a memorizer hate fuck and too much finnickiness in dealing with him. Always glad to get past this guy.
Valestein Castle = 10/10 = BEST STAGE EVER. Platforming! Incredibly fun enemies! It's got it all.
Death Falcon = 7/10 = Cool boss tho his ultimate charge attack is really cheap and will always hit you if he does it when you're in a bad spot. Take some points off for that
Wolf = 7/10 = not nearly as hard as death falcon, though the sidescrolling format for the fight is a little boring, and it's mostly just a fight of attrition and punishing him in the corner. Innofensive.
Clockwork Knight = 8/10 = Hated this guy on first playthrough but had a much easier time with him this time. Pretty fun to run around him dodging his shit, and aside from the uber fast random laser, not too much bullshit
Chester 2 = 9/10. Incredible danmaku battle in the second phase. Absolute balls to the walls. Subtracting 1 point for a few minor annoyances
Dularn 2 = 7/10 = Much more fun to dodge her normal stuff with the double jump and speed boost, but the lasers on last phase have a bit too much depth perception wonkiness for my tastes.
Final Dungeon = 8/10 = Enjoyable last dungeon. Lots of platforming, but the enemies are overal less fun to fight than the ones in Valestein Castle (should have put in the giant lizards and skeleton knights earlier, you spend too long fighting fucking bats and jumpy bugs in the first half of the dungeon)
Galbalan = 9/10 = To giant monsters what Chester 2 is to single duels. Absolutely crazy platforming hell and the scope and creativity of the fight is insane. Loses a point for some depth perception issues on his purple bullets attack


It cannot be understated how garbage the Fire Wyvern fight is on Inferno (rng can make him flip every platform thus making it literally impossible to dodge), or how fantastic Valestein Castle is with its wicked platforming and killer, creative enemies that are all ludicrously fun to fight.

Still, one of the best games ever made.


Good one, Squire. But what about Garland? You forgot about the poor evil wizard.

How's the damage scale and enemies/bosses HP when compared to Nightmare mode?

Quote:
Clockwork Knight = 8/10 = Hated this guy on first playthrough but had a much easier time with him this time. Pretty fun to run around him dodging his shit, and aside from the uber fast random laser, not too much bullshit


Fire Wyvern and his platforms are top-tier bullshit, but this guy is my 2nd least favorite boss fight. There's simply too much going on at the same time in that fight, with his attacks and projectiles having some really weird hitboxes - not to mention that giant laser, which is just insane.

Quote:
Lava Cave = 6/10 = Most of the enemies here are kinda boring


This area is one of my favorites tbh. It's when the game ramps up the challenge and the journey becomes more dangerous, with you having to survive after being dropped into the volcano and having so little resources at that stage; the superb A Searing Struggle perfectly captures that feeling.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: FALCOM Thread
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:28 am 


User avatar

Joined: 26 Jan 2005
Posts: 7331
Location: MD
Garland the evil wizard? He was bad


Last edited by BrianC on Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: FALCOM Thread
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:20 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 12 Jan 2013
Posts: 5741
HELLEPHANT wrote:
Squire Grooktook wrote:
It cannot be understated how garbage the Fire Wyvern fight is on Inferno (rng can make him flip every platform thus making it literally impossible to dodge), o



Nah, it's possible, albiet very difficult (what did we expect, it's called "Nightmare" XD)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWPpddBo-xY

There's a way to dodge the fire wave attack too but I don't have a video for that :twisted:


Nice, will have to remember if I replay.

bottino wrote:
Good one, Squire. But what about Garland? You forgot about the poor evil wizard.

How's the damage scale and enemies/bosses HP when compared to Nightmare mode?


Ah ha, woops! I'd give Garland a nice...7/10. Maybe an 8. Feels like a breather situated between Chester and Galaban, but a fun fight. Fairly straight forward fight once you figure out how to consistently get past his vacuum into instant death combo thing. Lot of movement as is proper for a YS fight.

As for damage scaling / leveling, it's about the same across difficulties. The general flow of both games is "kill everything from point a to point b, then maybe farm for like 1-2 levels before the boss, and it'll be fair and not too long". I don't think hard/nightmare actually changes stats too much, mostly just adds new moves and tightens up the existing ones to be a lot more unforgiving.
_________________
RegalSin wrote:
Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.

Aeon Zenith - My STG.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1011 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BareKnuckleRoo, Bratwurst, BulletMagnet, CIT and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Space Pilot 3K template by Jakob Persson
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group