FALCOM Thread

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
gameoverDude

Re: FALCOM Thread

Post by gameoverDude »

Mischief Maker wrote:Lemme know if the port runs like shit!

Also, is the HD footprint really 30 goddamn GB?!!
Just checked & it's 21 GB. As for the mini-map, a user on the GOG forums has posted a fix for that. If you copy that file over to your pcshader/usershd directory the MM will work correctly.
Kinect? KIN NOT.
Goompaolo9500

Post by Goompaolo9500 »

This is coincidential for The Leged Of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel 2:

At Xseed Games Website:Now on Windows PC
At Falcom Website:April 26 2018 ON SALE.
At this rate, I won’t be interested into shmups anymore. I am no longer going to be active in this forum from now on. I am more interested into Kemono Friends, rhythm games, D4DJ, Puzzle Games, Hololive, and Pretty Cure.

Farewell.
Durandal

Post by Durandal »

Ys: Memories of Celceta to be ported to Steam on July 25th

On another unrelated note and to nobody's surprise, the Ys VIII Switch port is absolutely buggered.
Xyga wrote:
chum wrote:the thing is that we actually go way back and have known each other on multiple websites, first clashing in a Naruto forum.
Liar. I've known you only from latexmachomen.com and pantysniffers.org forums.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

I heard one of the patches for the switch version is a translation patch? Is this on top of the one that is on PS4 or was the switch version released with the old translation?
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

Holy crap, I really should have put money down for that bet.
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

An oligarch walks in and grabs nine cookies for himself.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
KAI

Post by KAI »

gameoverDude

Post by gameoverDude »

Ys Origin is now on Xbox One, released by DotEmu back in April. Here's Cubed3's review of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYPogtjdHI8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBXGy1b1llo
Videos of the Xbox One version running on XOX. Doesn't look too bad.
Kinect? KIN NOT.
KAI

Post by KAI »

Now I'm officially hyped about Sen no Kiseki IV
Spoiler
gameoverDude

Post by gameoverDude »

KAI wrote:Now I'm officially hyped about Sen no Kiseki IV
I was sure they'd be there. Falcom just wanted to save them for last with the launch date not so far away. Glad to be right about it. :mrgreen:
Kinect? KIN NOT.
Obscura

Post by Obscura »

Finally dared to start Ys 8 PC. So far, after about 5 hours, I haven't had any major issues. Against the turtle boss, I had an occasional issue where I'd press forward on the stick and a character would just run in place instead of moving.

The game itself though... I'm really feeling the "meh". A lot "looser" in design than older Ys titles, with seemingly endless healing items that it looks like they want you to just spam, and actual dodging seems to have been replaced with "flash guard EVERYTHING", with tons of tracking attacks and flash guard itself giving you huge bonuses to everything and being seemingly strictly better than the roll since it has, like, a billion more I-frames.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Yeah, the combat gameplay is pretty superficial, even on hard (haven't tried any easier settings). The game really took a long time to grow on me (as evident in this thread), but overall I really liked the entire package a lot.
Obscura

Post by Obscura »

I'm going on Nightmare, and it doesn't seem to add much other than the irritation of "my character that is the only one that can damage about half of the enemies in this dungeon goes down in two hits, so I have to be suuuuuper careful to never mistime a flash guard".
gameoverDude

Post by gameoverDude »

Celceta on PC is out today- regularly $24.99 with 10% off til August 1, both on Steam & GOG.
Kinect? KIN NOT.
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

Ys 8 : Just Spam

Sums up the game pretty well.
Damn Tim, you know there are quite a few Americans out there who still lives in tents due to this shitty economy, and you're dropping loads on a single game which only last 20 min. Do you think it's fair? How much did you spend this time?
null1024

Post by null1024 »

Strider77 wrote:Ys 8 : Just Spam

Sums up the game pretty well.
I can't deny this one bit. Find the one special move you like, repeat forever. I've had absolutely no reason to be fancy.
I'm also kinda annoyed at how much the game seems to encourage flash guarding everything rather than just not being there and dodging.

The health recovery system seemed like it was going to be strict at the absolute beginning with the bottles... and that went straight out the window, since there's so much other shit you can carry that heals, and that's before you get into cooking.
really, if/when Ys 9 comes around, if they're not going to backtrack on that [and they probably won't], some of the cheesiness could be abated by making healing items take time to use or add enforced time between item uses [the Tales of series does this]
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
Obscura

Post by Obscura »

It's funny you mention the Tales series, I've spent so much of my playtime in Ys 8 so far thinking the game feels like a watered-down version of Berseria.
gameoverDude

Post by gameoverDude »

null1024 wrote: The health recovery system seemed like it was going to be strict at the absolute beginning with the bottles... and that went straight out the window, since there's so much other shit you can carry that heals, and that's before you get into cooking.
really, if/when Ys 9 comes around, if they're not going to backtrack on that [and they probably won't], some of the cheesiness could be abated by making healing items take time to use or add enforced time between item uses [the Tales of series does this]
Beside raising enemy stats & aggressiveness, Inferno mode does lower the item carry limits. Bottles vanish after you drink what's in them. You can carry just one of each kind of cooked meals, & no more than 9 of each fruit or status healing item at once.

I'm guessing the next Ys could be a new Ys V, just as Celceta followed Seven.
Kinect? KIN NOT.
Obscura

Post by Obscura »

gameoverDude wrote: I'm guessing the next Ys could be a new Ys V, just as Celceta followed Seven.
And Oath followed VI. :wink:
gameoverDude

Post by gameoverDude »

Obscura wrote:
gameoverDude wrote: I'm guessing the next Ys could be a new Ys V, just as Celceta followed Seven.
And Oath followed VI. :wink:
That too. Really sure it'll be Ys V.

Just played Celceta on PC for a little over an hour. I'm pleased with it so far. The visual effects that got cut from Joyoland's Chinese port (which include Beast Plain cloud shadows & a lot of lighting) are in this version. All I could ask for would be some HD textures, but on the Steam forums I notice someone's already been tinkering with that using Kaldaien's Special K mod. I wouldn't doubt an HD texture pack showing up within 3 weeks to a month.
Kinect? KIN NOT.
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

Hello Games screwed the pooch by leaving multiplayer out of the No Man's Sky "Next" update for gog customers. GOG decided to offer free (store credit) refunds to EVERYONE who bought that awful game. With 60 virtual bucks burning a hole in my pocket, I pulled the trigger on Ys VIII...

...and was surprised to find the game in a totally playable state as of its current patch (7). I cleared Chapter 1 and just built my first camp and so far I haven't run into a single bug, save for a shadow that glitched out a bit when looked at from a certain angle. They took care of the 4K rendering problem so the game runs as silky smooth as a Vita game should run on a PC.

I get the feeling I'm going to like the game but wow, Oath in Felghana really benefited from being shackled to the more grounded setting of a 1989 game. By that I mean Ys VIII is the most anime thing ever. The game starts with Adol barging in on the Tsundere bathing and gets slapped. Then she regains her dignity by changing into an insane necktie, bustier, daisy dukes, and thigh-highs fetish costime, finds a similarly ridiculous outfit for Adol, then says in every single conversation, "Hmph! I want to make it perfectly clear that I'm not soaking my panties whenever I'm near you, Adol!"

Fingers crossed I continue to avoid the bugs I just know are lurking beneath the surface Blue Velvet-style!
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

I'm just skipping all the plot. I've found it's MUCH better that way. Didn't take me long to reach that point either. Ymmv.
null1024

Post by null1024 »

Mischief Maker wrote:By that I mean Ys VIII is the most anime thing ever. The game starts with Adol barging in on the Tsundere bathing and gets slapped. Then she regains her dignity by changing into an insane necktie, bustier, daisy dukes, and thigh-highs fetish costime, finds a similarly ridiculous outfit for Adol, then says in every single conversation, "Hmph! I want to make it perfectly clear that I'm not soaking my panties whenever I'm near you, Adol!"
Part of me wants to say that it's not that bad...
...but everything you said happened exactly as you said it.
It doesn't stay like that the whole run [well, Laxia's gonna stay tsundere for ages, and character design remains as anime as possible]... but where the plot heads might be dumber. :lol:

Also, I'm expecting next Ys to be a Ys V update.
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

I just want the next Ys games to be ports of Oath and VI on PS4... like Origin.

Actually I'll take 1/2 complete/eternal before VI. I'll settle for Oath though.
Damn Tim, you know there are quite a few Americans out there who still lives in tents due to this shitty economy, and you're dropping loads on a single game which only last 20 min. Do you think it's fair? How much did you spend this time?
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Mischief Maker wrote: I get the feeling I'm going to like the game but wow, Oath in Felghana really benefited from being shackled to the more grounded setting of a 1989 game. By that I mean Ys VIII is the most anime thing ever. The game starts with Adol barging in on the Tsundere bathing and gets slapped. Then she regains her dignity by changing into an insane necktie, bustier, daisy dukes, and thigh-highs fetish costime, finds a similarly ridiculous outfit for Adol, then says in every single conversation, "Hmph! I want to make it perfectly clear that I'm not soaking my panties whenever I'm near you, Adol!"
Laxia is as awfully cliche as it gets, but over the course of the story I ended up really liking her character.
The fetish costumes get much, much worse though.
Durandal

Post by Durandal »

Mischief Maker wrote: I get the feeling I'm going to like the game but wow, Oath in Felghana really benefited from being shackled to the more grounded setting of a 1989 game. By that I mean Ys VIII is the most anime thing ever.
Oath is pretty much generic clichéd fantasy, though the 90's fantasy tropes come off as oddly refreshing when played nowadays because of all the anime tropes one is forced to endure in most modern Japanese supposed-fantasy RPGs. Playing the older Ys games is like reading a pulp fantasy novel, they're enjoyable enough in their simplicity. Back when manly men were doing manly things and fair maidens were there to be rescued from evil wizards or demons and left behind in safety as you set off towards a new adventure.

It's just exchanging one set of tropes for another, though the newer anime ones are infinitesmally more grating.
Xyga wrote:
chum wrote:the thing is that we actually go way back and have known each other on multiple websites, first clashing in a Naruto forum.
Liar. I've known you only from latexmachomen.com and pantysniffers.org forums.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

That said, I really enjoyed the anime based on the original two Ys games (and I have the DVDs) :P It's probably not interesting if you aren't a fan of the games though.
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

Okay, textures got really screwy with the turtle boss. Not 100% stable yet.

Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

Obscura wrote:As someone who really likes Seven (it's my third favorite modern Ys game, would be my second favorite were it not for that obnoxious material-grind that's mandatory before fighting the final boss), I have to defend it a bit.

The key to the party system is to think of it like a battery character/meter-using character team in Marvel. The faster-attacking characters (Aisha, Elk) build SP faster, so you'll want to use them for your basic attacks (there's a very good reason why, in the final boss battle, they pair Elk with Mishera and Aisha with Geis). Because using skills is the fastest way to fill your gauge for your ultimate attacks, it's *not* a given that you're going to want to use your biggest/most-expensive specials; in particular, a lot of Aisha's multi-hit linear specials are relatively cheap and very good for building up ultra gauge. As such, you need to take into consideration what you're fighting, and what they're weak to. Is this something you can build ultimate gauge on well with their weaknesses, or do you want to sacrifice some gauge building to use skills from a slower-building but heavier-hitting character to match damage types efficiently? This also adds an additional element to choosing what order you'll kill enemies in (Dogi and Cruxie have garbage normal attacks but amazing specials, so you'll want to go after blunt-weak enemies when you've got some gauge to blow; Elk has weak specials, but his normal attacks are super-fast and build gauge like crazy, so if he's in your party, you'll want to go after slash-enemies when your gauge is low and have Mishera in your party to use her powerful spells on pierce-weak enemies; etc). If you understand how this works and play accordingly, you'll find that skill upgrades basically take care of themselves, even without training rings.

Charge attacks aren't really great for building SP. Opening with a charge attack and following through with a normal combo is a better way of building SP for most characters, especially the fast ones (that is, the ones whose normal attacks you should be using).
Okay, was Ys VIII just created with Nightmare or Inferno difficulty in mind? I restarted on Hard and still I almost never want for SP. If I do manage to run dry, I just pause for a split second to auto-charge my normal attack then a single hit, without any flash dodge/guard, refills half my SP.

I'm gonna have to restart yet again, aren't I? Anyone have feedback on whether Nightmare or Inferno is the way to go?

Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

It is pretty damn easy. I was able to kill the trex when I first encountered it, way under leveled... Of course, that doesn't actually net you anything.
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

*sigh* I think I'm done with Ys VIII, despite an entire year of frustrated anticipation. I'm happy I essentially got this game for free. It's got the second best music of the series, the island is absolutely gorgeous, and it's got that Ys series emphasis on speed...

...but it's still building off the inferior blueprint of Ys 7 instead of the superior mechanics of Oath and Origin.

How can such a shallow combat system be so convoluted? This game demands more buttons than my Xbox 360 controller can provide, and I can't find a button arrangement that's comfortable. The combat rhythm is essentially: flash guard, spam active skills until your SP is empty, flash dodge, spam basic attack until your SP meter refills, GOTO 10. Switching characters to match enemy weaknesses is just annoying busywork. And the fact that you're leading a team turns combat into an absolute clusterfuck which screws with the system's emphasis on cafefully timed counters, or you set the AI to defensive and they become useless decoration. Then on top of that you have to level each and every one of your active skills by spamming them hundreds and hundreds of times before they execute fast enough to be usable in anything resembling a combo.

Note that I've been playing on Nightmare and quit at the Turtle boss in Chapter 2 that causes the entire screen to glitch out. I've also had one honest to goodness crash to desktop. The game is not bug-free yet.

Note that all of these complaints apply equally to Ys 7 and I assume Celteca. If you like those games you're gonna love Ys VIII because it's those games but prettier and with better music.

More than anything, playing this game gave me a hankering for some Dragon's Dogma.