FALCOM Thread

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
gameoverDude

Re: FALCOM Thread

Post by gameoverDude »

Mischief Maker wrote:Then in April the day before release, "We want to apologize to our wonderful fans eagerly awaiting Ys VIII but..."
I would hope there are no further delays. They've had so much time to work on Ys VIII that this may well be it.
Kinect? KIN NOT.
WelshMegalodon

Post by WelshMegalodon »

FinalBaton wrote:
WelshMegalodon wrote:
FinalBaton wrote:Yeah I discovered last month that Ys 1 had a dos port. Pretty cool!
Too bad it's garbage. Even the music is butchered.
Oh. Well, that sucks :(

Reminder that there was at least a worthwhile DOS release of Ys II... in Korea. (Screenshots in ASPECT RAIDOU mode shamelessly stolen from HG101)
Spoiler
Spoiler
Indie hipsters: "Arcades are so dead"
Finite Continues? Ain't that some shit.
RBelmont wrote:A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

gameoverDude wrote:
Mischief Maker wrote:Then in April the day before release, "We want to apologize to our wonderful fans eagerly awaiting Ys VIII but..."
I would hope there are no further delays. They've had so much time to work on Ys VIII that this may well be it.
I'm just going off the facts that:

1) They've already burned through three official announced release dates.
2) This was an offhand promise by some asshole who probably has no idea what their latest crop of nerds in the coding dungeon are up to.
3) They've yet to un-fuck their PC port of Disgaea.
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

An oligarch walks in and grabs nine cookies for himself.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
Durandal

Post by Durandal »

https://gematsu.com/2018/03/ys-memories ... -pc-summer
Ys: Memories of Celceta coming to PC this summer

XSEED Games is bringing Ys: Memories of Celceta is to PC this summer, the company announced.

Ys: Memories of Celceta was first released for PS Vita in 2012. A China-only PC version was released in 2015.

The newly announced PC version of Ys: Memories of Celceta will be ported by the same team that handled the PC port of Ys Seven. It will receive “numerous enhancements,” including improved visuals with a wide range of HD resolutions, unlocked frame rates, fully customizable control bindings, mouse support, and more.

Here is a full overview of the game, via XSEED Games:
Knowing nothing but his name, Adol Christin awakens to find himself in the town of Casnan, a bustling frontier village at the edge of an endless sea of trees and untamed wilderness. Bereft of past and purpose, he is left to wander the town until a thief who claims to know him winds up joining him on a sudden mission to rid the local mine of monsters. This unexpected quest reawakens Adol’s instincts as an accomplished swordsman, and together with the thief Duren, his adventures attract the attention of a Romun Army general stationed in the town. Impressed with their skills, she enlists the pair to assist in mapping the Great Forest of Celceta – a task which many have attempted but none have ever returned from. Far from the frontier’s edge, Adol and Duren will have to brave the dangers of Celceta while constantly keeping an eye out for any clues that may help Adol recover his lost memories. More importantly, he must use his best judgment to decide whom he can trust and who is using his memory loss in order to deceive him…

Revisit the setting from the Japanese cult favorite Ys IV and explore the land and characters of Celceta in a whole new way with Ys: Memories of Celceta on PC. Originally released on the PS Vita in 2013, the PC remaster of the title features support for a wide range of HD resolutions, multiple fixed frame rate options as well as an unlocked framerate, customizable control bindings, mouse support, and much more for Adol’s most immersive and visually impressive trek through the land of Celceta to date. Explore one of the most expansive locales in the series’ history, complete with a robust and detailed mapping system that includes customizable waypoints to keep adventurers from losing themselves while exploring the many secrets hidden within the wilderness. The now-familiar multi-character party system and real-time combat with different weapon types first introduced in Ys SEVEN makes a return in Ys: Memories of Celceta to deliver fast-paced yet strategic action punctuated with meaningful player choice. The PC release will also feature the fan-favorite Boss Rush mode, pitting Adol alone or as part of a full party of characters against an increasingly difficult lineup of bosses in a race against time!
Will XSeed manage to release MoC before VIII? Place your bets!
Xyga wrote:
chum wrote:the thing is that we actually go way back and have known each other on multiple websites, first clashing in a Naruto forum.
Liar. I've known you only from latexmachomen.com and pantysniffers.org forums.
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

Durandal wrote:Will XSeed manage to release MoC before VIII?
I'd take a modified version of that bet:

Will the PC version of MoC be playable before the PC version of VIII?

Because I'm increasingly convinced NISA will throw their hands in the air and release a buggy slideshow of a PC port and hope to recoup their costs with preorders and early purchases before the reviews hit.
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
gameoverDude

Post by gameoverDude »

$5 on Ys VIII coming first. NISA has had more than enough time to get it sorted. :)
OTOH, if XSEED gets lucky & things go smoothly with Celceta, they could decide to beat NISA & release sooner.

Playing by MM's rules, I'd raise the bet to $20. I don't know about NISA but XSEED will most probably have Celceta perfect on Day 1. :lol:
Kinect? KIN NOT.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

gameoverDude wrote: Playing by MM's rules, I'd raise the bet to $20.
:shock:
I like that! :mrgreen:
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

gameoverDude wrote: OTOH, if XSEED gets lucky & things go smoothly with Celceta, they could decide to beat NISA & release sooner.
I wouldn't be surprised if XseeD (typing it like that makes it look more like their penis logo) see this as their big chance to prove to Falcom that they are much better at handling this job, and prioritize getting this out fast to prove their worth.
NISA are cucking around with the PC port of Ys VIII, and if XseeD manage to overtake them effortlessly, there's no way Falcom should realistically consider going with NISA again in the future (even if they probably will).
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

NISA gives no fucks about PC gamers. Bamco too but that can be saved for another thread...
gameoverDude

Post by gameoverDude »

I guess the next Ys game is most probably going to XSEED, given all the drama surrounding VIII.
Look at how they handled Trails of Cold Steel on PC 2 times- quite well.

Let's hope that Ys VIII on PC doesn't end up like the Disgaea disaster.
Kinect? KIN NOT.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

The question is whether Falcom even realises any of that drama. I don't remember if this has been linked earlier:

http://web.archive.org/web/201712050230 ... e-the-jrpg
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

ChurchOfSolipsism wrote:I'll make sure I'll download it illegally one day...
Obscura

Post by Obscura »

That's excellent news. That's the first indication that they're taking PC performance seriously. Provided that the port wasn't such a total shambles that giving a top programmer three months isn't enough to fix it, Ys VIII should come to PC in pretty decent shape.
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

Obscura wrote:That's excellent news. That's the first indication that they're taking PC performance seriously. Provided that the port wasn't such a total shambles that giving a top programmer three months isn't enough to fix it, Ys VIII should come to PC in pretty decent shape.
Well what about the last guy they brought on? Dalton or something. Back in November everyone was all, "Ooh! They brought on Dalton! That shows they're taking this seriously and are totally gonna make this work."

...then they missed their third deadline and fired their entire coding staff.

Obscura

Post by Obscura »

Ys VIII PC's new release date is April 16: https://twitter.com/NISAmerica/status/9 ... 5599120389

I'll be on a business trip from the 14th to the 18th, so I'll have a couple days to see how this shakes out. Or if it doesn't just get delayed again.
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

Lemme know if the port runs like shit!

Also, is the HD footprint really 30 goddamn GB?!!

Durandal

Post by Durandal »

Now nobody can blame me for judging this port with the highest standards possible, they've been polishing up this port for so long after all!
Xyga wrote:
chum wrote:the thing is that we actually go way back and have known each other on multiple websites, first clashing in a Naruto forum.
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

...aaaand shit port.

The most glaring issue is apparently the game renders at 4K regardless of your chosen resolution. Got a 1080ti handy?

Just as well, I never really liked 7 and I'm starting a new run of Origin with the Oath music files modded in. Not like this series ever needed grind in the first place.

Durandal

Post by Durandal »

Everyone saw this coming, but you still gotta wonder how they manage to consistently fuck up so much, even with all the extra time they were given
Xyga wrote:
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

Sigh, what a shame. :(
ChurchOfSolipsism wrote:I'll make sure I'll download it illegally one day...
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Well

The PS4 version is still here.
Obscura

Post by Obscura »

Without a console, that does me zero good. :(

Fucking NISA ruined everything :(
Steamflogger Boss

Sumez wrote:Well

The PS4 version is still here.
Yep...looks like this is my only choice now lol.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Obscura wrote:Without a console, that does me zero good. :(

Fucking NISA ruined everything :(
There are a trillion good reasons to get a PS4. Only counter-argument I can see is that it is still somewhat expensive.
Obscura

Post by Obscura »

Several hundred dollars to buy a box that only plays two games (Bloodborne and Ys 8)? Uh, no.

TBH, I don't even know if that's worth rearranging my furniture to be able to hook another box up to my monitor if Sony gave me one for free.
Steamflogger Boss

Several hundred? Where do you live???! I paid $150 awhile ago and it didn't seem like a scorching deal. For me it was well worth it but if you only want to play 2 games that's another story.
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Fucking NISA...

What a bunch of imcompetent clowns, this is unreal

Falcom, please subcontract the next Ys games' localization and ports to XSEED again, please I am BEGGING you :(
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
gameoverDude

Post by gameoverDude »

I had downloaded my pre-ordered copy of Ys VIII from GOG on the 16th. The camera controls were mapped to LT & RT for some weirdass reason.

Today it's been patched to GOG-2. Controls are working fine with the R-stick moving the camera as it should. The mini-map is kinda jacked though- it's not showing the layout of areas. When I quit the game with Alt-F4 it crashed on exit with the "has stopped working" message.

NISA's still got work to do.

I'm sure Trails of Cold Steel III & IV will stay with XSEED. They better. Sean Chiplock (Rean) & other VAs will ditch if NISA gets it. NISA screwing up a Trails game would be harder to fix.
Kinect? KIN NOT.
Steamflogger Boss

This reminds me I still need to play Cold Steel 2...

I'm waiting for the PS4 release. I believe that's out in Japan this month.