shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:18 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 994 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34
 Post subject: Re: FALCOM Thread
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:59 pm 

I would say Seven at least (and MoC, since according to Durandal it's almost identical to 7) is a very, very different beast from 8.

Seven is basically just Felghana/Origin if you took out everything that made those games fun. It's got the same overall game structure as those titles: an almost entirely linear procession of simple combat/terrain gauntlets punctuated by returning to town for some story and shopping. They're all really more like tight action games pretending to be rpg's than anything. The problem was that Seven ends up being a boring version of Felghana/Origin due to losing jumping and flash guarding simplifying everything, in addition to a number of little minor nitpicks throughout. It's a decent game if you don't mind something mindless, but otherwise I don't recommend playing it even once tbh.

8 on the other hand is structurally more akin to a legend of zelda or metroid or a 16-bit jrpg. It's still technically linear in the sense that you go from point A to point B to advance the story, but there's more emphasis on discovering the way to Point B, the world is bigger and more interconnected with more nooks and crannies to explore along the way, you have much more side stuff and content to discover on the side, and you're frequently re-exploring old areas to find new paths or just new stuff etc. I honestly think the world design in 8 is straight up fantastic, it really channels that oldschool "big and open enough to be interesting, small and tight enough to avoid being boring and aimless" feel of classic 16 bit rpg's and adventure games. So if you think of it as a fast paced answer to classic zelda/metroid/jrpg's, I think it works extremely well (in spite of the repetitive boss fights).

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.

Aeon Zenith - My STG.

Last edited by Squire Grooktook on Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:26 am 

I didn't mean they were identical for gameplay. Definitely some differences. I was just saying neither blew me away like some of the previous games did.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:37 am 

HELLEPHANT wrote:
Big fan of the older games (especially Oath and Origin)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:14 pm 

We are now elderly at this point Sumez.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 994 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34