Finally saw The Shawshank Redemption

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
LoneSage

Finally saw The Shawshank Redemption

Post by LoneSage »

Excellent film, easily one of my favorite films and one of the greatest from the 90s. The character development was brilliant, the casting was perfect, and I absolutely hated the warden and that sadistic officer (same guy from Pet Semetary 2; Zed from Starship Troopers). I thought it was incredibly sad that the guy who finally got his GED was gunned down, but it was wonderful to see the warden get his just rewards in the end.

Anyways, yeah..I really like this movie. And until I saw his printed name, I always thought Freeman's name was "Rett" and not "Red". Doh.
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

And what about when Rita Hayworth does that thing with the hair? :wink:
Don't hold grudges. GET EVEN.
IlMrm

Post by IlMrm »

Great movie indeed.
Ord

Post by Ord »

It is indeed an excellent movie, however i didn't like the very end just before the credits come up.
***possible Spoiler***
In the novella (from Different Seasons I think) It just ends with Red (an Irishman) in the bus feeling hope for the first time in his life. Very, Very moving.
If you haven't read Different Season i highly recommend it. It is four Novellas, 3 of wich were made into movies.
Spring - "The Body" (Stand By Me)
Summer - Rita Hayworth And The Shawshank Redemption"
Fall - "Apt Pupil"
Winter - "The Breathing Method"......Very disturbing.

Some of Stephen Kings finest work.
Ikaruga review now up in PLASMA BLOSSOM
LoneSage

Post by LoneSage »

Oh wow, this was a story? And Stephen King wrote it? Wow, I think I'm going to check it out..
captain ahar

Post by captain ahar »

i love this movie as well. the actors in this movie have never failed to impress.

not so much a criticism, well maybe it is actually:

they compressed time a lot for the movie (understandably perhaps, but still) in the novella, they passed through a few wardens. this makes more sense given the story happens over a bit less than 20 years. also, likely not everyone would agree with me on this point, but whatever. it's minor anyway.
I have no sig whatsoever.
GaijinPunch

Post by GaijinPunch »

One of the first DVDs I bought when I got a DVD-Rom back in 1999... great movie. One of the few heart-warming movies aimed at men. Great flick...never read the book(s) but would like to one day.