shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:42 am View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post subject: Re: Racing Topic! (was: Best racing games for PSP?)
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:43 pm 

Renamed the thread to accomodate its expanded focus.

And another question:

Okay, so I was looking up Nascar 99 for Playstation (I picked it up at Goodwill and wondered what other people thought) and I noticed there was a version called "Nascar 99 Legacy" which is apparently a collector's edition (there was one for 98 as well).

But I can't find any info on what, exactly, is in the Legacy version that's not in the regular version, save that legacy is apparently 2-discs.

So, anyone know?

(Anyone but me get the feeling that most gamers don't play sports games?)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:40 pm 

Edmond Dantes wrote:
Renamed the thread to accomodate its expanded focus.

And another question:

Okay, so I was looking up Nascar 99 for Playstation (I picked it up at Goodwill and wondered what other people thought) and I noticed there was a version called "Nascar 99 Legacy" which is apparently a collector's edition (there was one for 98 as well).

But I can't find any info on what, exactly, is in the Legacy version that's not in the regular version, save that legacy is apparently 2-discs.

So, anyone know?

(Anyone but me get the feeling that most gamers don't play sports games?)

I quite can't remember, but I don't think there is much to the Legacy version of Nascar 99 besides Homestead being a new track added. I'm sure you can find some youtube videos though, but I've only ever owned the non legacy version of Nascar 99.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:37 am 

LEGACY VERSION FEATURES:
Dale Earnhardt, Jr. joins the field of 37 NASCAR Drivers
16 Licensed NCASCAR tracks - now including Miami-Homestead Speedway
Authentic head-to-head NASCAR racing
2 Player split-screen racing - race father vs. son
Championship season mode
Exclusive Two-man booth featuring Bob Jenkins and Benny Parsons
24 Hi-res cars on the track
Includes NASCAR Rocks Music CD!

My videos
Rolling Start!! - Arcade Racing Game Forum

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:04 pm 

Thanks, Ghegs.

(Incidentally I've been lurking at Rolling Start... might sign up soon. Mostly been reading about racing controllers)

.... on another note, tried to play Pole Position on Namco Museum Volume One and... wow, has this game always been this twitchy? Or is it just a game that seriously demands a neGcon? Is there a version that'll work with analog sticks?

... Also, what are some good racers for the PC-Engine/TurboGrafx-16 (both hucard and CD)? I played a bit of Rad Racer today and it put me in the mood for more games in that style.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:29 am 

Yeah, in the PS1 Namco Museum the two Pole Position games are digital-only unless played with a neGcon. Luckily Pole Position is on a good number of other Namco collections as well. Namco Museum (PS2, Xbox, GC), Namco Museum: 50th Anniversary (PS2, Xbox, GC, PC), Namco Museum Virtual Arcade (Xbox 360)...the game should work with analog sticks on these.

Not that many racers on the PCE...there's OutRun, and Road Spirits is kind of the same vein as that and Rad Racer.

My videos
Rolling Start!! - Arcade Racing Game Forum

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:43 am 

Ghegs wrote:
Not that many racers on the PCE...there's OutRun, and Road Spirits is kind of the same vein as that and Rad Racer.

Final Lap Twin is good stuff and even has a RPG style mode.

Yeah, Pole Position in Namco Museum v. 1 PSX is more twitchy than other ports I have played, including ones with digital controls. I definitely plan to get a Negcon to play it better.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Best racing games for PSP?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:26 am 

Edmond Dantes wrote:
So yeah, I'm looking for Racers for any system I own now. That means every console up to the PS2 and Gamecube, any PC up 'til Windows 98, and, ummm... yeah.

Moto Racer (1, 2, 3) on PC/PSX. Some liked them best played with a keyboard, but analogue pad (recognised as "joystick" in the menu) did the job for me. Mashed: Fully Loaded. Crash 'N' Burn (2004). Midnight Club II (the PS2 version). The original Burnout.
Nitrobike on PS2 seemed okay, but I haven't played the Wii version.
Jak X (play without memory card in a slot to avoid the glitchy auto-saving).
In F-Zero GX play the Story mode.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 3:08 am 

Edmond Dantes wrote:
TOPIC EXPAND!
So yeah, I'm looking for Racers for any system I own now. That means every console up to the PS2 and Gamecube, any PC up 'til Windows 98, and, ummm... yeah.

Some former Wipeout/Wipeout XL team members formed Curly Monsters and released N.Gen Racing for PS1 (and Quantum Redshift for the classic Xbox (works on 360BC)).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:28 am 

Very old bump but didn’t know where to ask, anyone have any experience with Sega Race TV? I know it was never ported and the arcade didn’t seem to be very popular in USA.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 5:55 pm 

Seeing this one bumped, I feel Moto Racer Advance deserves a mention. It's a really real Moto Racer game, imagine Ridge Racer on GBA being any good. Some amateurish artwork in menus, utter lack of music and pretty bullshit A.I. dudes (bumping into them doesn't seem to slow THEM down whatsoever, makes me feel like I'm racing against solid ghosts) are the worst of it, so, if you are not cool about button mashing in F-Zero: Maximum Velocity, GBA's most essential racer for you might well be Moto Racer Advance.
Having had a pretty good gaming experience with GBA ports of Sega titles (Super Monkey Ball, ChuChu Rocket!), I would expect GBA OutRun to deliver as well.
Also, I consider Kuru Kuru Kururin to be a racing game. Seeing it called "puzzler" all the time is one of things that very much drove me out of internet.
I've recently been in awe with the Wii TrackMania again. I feel I could study its craft for years! It is monumental. There's faith in gaming to be had after all.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:50 am 

Cannonballs wrote:
Very old bump but didn’t know where to ask, anyone have any experience with Sega Race TV? I know it was never ported and the arcade didn’t seem to be very popular in USA.

I haven't heard of it before, but I watched a video and it looks interesting. Like a mix of Power Drift and F-Zero GX.

Offline Profile