Racing Topic! (was: Best racing games for PSP?)

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Edmond Dantes

Racing Topic! (was: Best racing games for PSP?)

Post by Edmond Dantes »

So lately I've been into racing games. I just finished marathoning Moto Racer (PC) and various Windows 98-era Need for Speed games, and trying out Gran Turismo for PS1.

So, I have a PSP, but I have no idea what are the "good" racers for it. I've heard mixed opinions on the Need for Speed games, and just about the only games I've seen get universally loved are Crazy Taxi: Fare Wars (which isn't really a racing game) and Outrun Coast 2 Coast.

What your recommends?

Thanks in advance.

(Incidentally I wouldn't mind having good racers for the GBA as well)
Last edited by Edmond Dantes on Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The resident X-Multiply fan.
KAI

Re: Best racing games for PSP?

Post by KAI »

Initial D: Street Stage and Ridge Racers 2, best racing games on that system.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

Ridge Racer
Wipeout
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

Jonst

Post by Jonst »

Outrun coast to coast is superb...get it!
Last edited by Jonst on Sat May 31, 2014 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Just fire and forget" 1cc List
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

WipEout PulsE was amazing. Right down to it's bells and whistles like imported playlists, custom skins, and Racebox...which was for some reason removed in 2048. If you had to get anything, I'd honestly call that the PSP's definitive racer.
slk486

Post by slk486 »

Motorstorm Arctic Edge. So good. OutRun and Wipeout likewise.
lilmanjs

Post by lilmanjs »

The Burnout titles on the PSP are fantastic.
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

Get Outrun 2006 and Wipeout Pulse before anything else (well, before any other racing games).

Also make sure you mod your PSP (really, really, really easy softmod no tools required) before playing either of them as they both benefit a lot from increasing the PSP clock rate (100% harmless).
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

The PSP racing game of Gran Turismo is cool...has an arcade-spec 60fps framerate. Of course, the digital d/l of PSP GT off of the PSN store site has shorter loading times compared to the UMD based version. Sega Rally is another cool racing game on the PSP gaming platform as well.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_ ~
Last edited by PC Engine Fan X! on Sat May 31, 2014 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moniker

Post by Moniker »

ZellSF wrote:Get Outrun 2006 and Wipeout Pulse before anything else (well, before any other racing games).

Also make sure you mod your PSP (really, really, really easy softmod no tools required) before playing either of them as they both benefit a lot from increasing the PSP clock rate (100% harmless).
Oooh, yes. And put some LCFW down and clock your CPU up to the max (333hz, IIRC) before playing OutRun 2k6. Its borderline unplayable otherwise. Also, another vote for Ridge Racer 2. Never got too far in Wipeout Pure/Pulse, as it seems to require use of the abomination that is the analogue nub. RR2 and OR2k6 are perfectly playable with the d-pad.

The Burnout games are good - IIRC Legends is based more on Burnout 2, whilst Dominator is based on Burnout 3. (I may have these reversed.) Legends requires more bedrock skill, whilst Revenge is a crash-happy crazy super fun racer. Either way, you'll definitely have to silence all 5 or so versions of Avril Lavigne's "Boyfriend." :|
The freaks are rising through the floor.
Recommended XBLIG shmups.
Top 20 Doujin Shmups of ALL TIME.
Drum
Banned User

Post by Drum »

Burnout Legends.
IGMO - Poorly emulated, never beaten.

Hi-score thread: http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=34327
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

And another vote goes to Pulse, miles away from everything else, included Pure... Which I realized a little late, admittedly. One of the best PSP games ever. Also if you get in on PSN it doesn't take too much space on the SD card, and I've read that it's quite amazing on the Vita too (it gives 2048 a run for its money).
X - P - B
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

All this talk has inspired me to play Pulse on my Vita. Should look purty.

Edmond Dantes

Post by Edmond Dantes »

PC Engine Fan X! wrote:The PSP racing game of Gran Turismo is cool...has an arcade-spec 60fps framerate. Of course, the digital d/l of PSP GT off of the PSN store site has shorter loading times compared to the UMD based version. Sega Rally is another cool racing game on the PSP gaming platform as well.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_ ~
I might pick that up after I get used to Gran Turismo on the Ps1.

I found the original GT at a Goodwill, and right off the bat it amazed me. "Why does a racing game come in a double-wide case? Why does it have TWO manuals? Holy shit, its going into the technical specifics of handling, four-wheel drive, braking etc.?"

For some reason when I play GT, the car keeps losing traction and spinning on tight curves (or sometimes not even tight ones). I have the feeling that this might be related to my controller, but at the moment I only have one controller and no alternatives (if anyone can recommend good, durable controllers--both for PS1 and PS2--I'd appreciate it). Then when I tried simulation mode and realized how much learning and commitment the game took, I decided I wasn't ready just yet.

Maybe after a few more rounds of Ridge Racer... (which I very nearly beat, but a glitch prevented me from winning).

*Jots down every title that's been mentioned so far*
cj iwakura

Post by cj iwakura »

Seconding Initial D. Arcade perfect. Cheap, too!

Heck, it's worth it just for that Eurobeat.
heli wrote:Why is milestone director in prison ?, are his game to difficult ?
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

Edmond Dantes wrote:(Incidentally I wouldn't mind having good racers for the GBA as well)
F-Zero: Maximum Velocity is a goodie.
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

Moniker

Post by Moniker »

Obiwanshinobi wrote:
Edmond Dantes wrote:(Incidentally I wouldn't mind having good racers for the GBA as well)
F-Zero: Maximum Velocity is a goodie.
Liked F-Zero: GP Legends as well. And of course there's Mario Kart Advance, but it's not one of the better Mario Karts. Still had fun with it, and you can play it on your PSP via emulation. GBA emulation in general is really quite good on PSP. There's also the whole PSX catalogue to choose from; didn't see if anyone had mentioned it.
The freaks are rising through the floor.
Recommended XBLIG shmups.
Top 20 Doujin Shmups of ALL TIME.
Edmond Dantes

Post by Edmond Dantes »

TOPIC EXPAND!

Hey, I read that some classic arcade racers can be played in Shenmue for dreamcast. My question: Is there a way to make these available from the menu, or do I always have to walk into the arcade to play them?

(I'm aware that there's a compilation--Yu Suzuki's Gameworks or something--but that seems incredibly rare and is probably outside my price range).

So yeah, I'm looking for Racers for any system I own now. That means every console up to the PS2 and Gamecube, any PC up 'til Windows 98, and, ummm... yeah.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Edmond Dantes wrote:TOPIC EXPAND!

Hey, I read that some classic arcade racers can be played in Shenmue for dreamcast. My question: Is there a way to make these available from the menu, or do I always have to walk into the arcade to play them?
Only Hang On in Shenmue 1, but Shenmue 2 also has Outrun. You can't make the games available from a menu in Shenmue 1 (though you can unlock carts to play at your house), but you can after playing them in Shenmue II (Xbox port of the latter is easier to find).

I definitely recommend Super Hang On over Hang On. That has nice ports on Wii, 360, PS3, and 3DS. I heard good things about Outrun's port to Saturn, though I think it goes for over 30 now. Hopefully, the 3DS one will be announced for US soon.
Last edited by BrianC on Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

BrianC wrote:
Edmond Dantes wrote:TOPIC EXPAND!

Only Hang On in Shenmue 1, but Shenmue 2 also has Outrun. You can't make the games available from a menu in Shenmue 1 (though you can unlock carts to play at your house), but you can after playing them in Shenmue II (Xbox port of the latter is easier to find).
Yes but dub only. DC SII for subtitled glory.

BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Skykid wrote: Yes but dub only. DC SII for subtitled glory.
True. I actually have the DC one and not the Xbox. It's in 60Hz and runs great on my DC with a boot disc. One warning about the case. It looks nice, but the discs are a pain to get in and out. I ended up putting the dics in seperate cases (but still kept the case).
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

Edmond Dantes wrote:So yeah, I'm looking for Racers for any system I own now. That means every console up to the PS2 and Gamecube, any PC up 'til Windows 98, and, ummm... yeah.
I've been building a database of racing games for Rolling Start, the RGDB. It's not complete yet, but it does have PS1, PS2, DC, GC and (original) Xbox fully covered, as well as some others here and there. Maybe it'll get you started.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Another thing about the DC Outrun is that it changed the car since it doesn't have the Ferrari license. As far as I know, the Saturn port has the Ferrari, though the 3DS port doesn't.
Edmond Dantes

Post by Edmond Dantes »

It looks like Saturn Outrun was released in North America with two other games (After Burner II being one of them), I think I'll try to acquire that version next time I have cash.

In the meantime, I'm starting to get good at Gran Turismo and I just picked up GT2.
M.Knight

Post by M.Knight »

I second BrianC's recommendation about Super Hang On. I recently discovered the game through its 3DS eShop port and I am having a blast with it. The feeling of speed is well conveyed, the turbo adds an interesting layer of complexity to the game mechanics and the game is very replayable. The number of tracks may seem low but clearing them is no walk in the park. Even after a bit more than 20 hours of playtime, I only cleared two of the four tracks.
RegalSin wrote: I think I have downloaded so much I am bored with downloading. No really I bored with downloading stuff I might consider moving to Canada or the pacific.
Remote Weapon GunFencer - My shmup project
slk486

Post by slk486 »

Ghegs wrote: I've been building a database of racing games for Rolling Start, the RGDB. It's not complete yet, but it does have PS1, PS2, DC, GC and (original) Xbox fully covered, as well as some others here and there. Maybe it'll get you started.
All you need is some sort of rating system, so one knows which to grab :)
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

slk486 wrote:
Ghegs wrote: I've been building a database of racing games for Rolling Start, the RGDB. It's not complete yet, but it does have PS1, PS2, DC, GC and (original) Xbox fully covered, as well as some others here and there. Maybe it'll get you started.
All you need is some sort of rating system, so one knows which to grab :)
I did consider it, but having the database capable of accepting ratings from users would have enlarged and complicated the project quite a bit, my database skills are at a very basic level. Maybe after it's more complete I'll see about implementing something like that. As it is, you can always ask about specific games on the forum, look for videos on Youtube and so on.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
President_Obama

Post by President_Obama »

Doing 3NF databases made me want to wipe out Iraq.
Robert Anton Wilson wrote:
To an entirely rational person, the whole world seems insane.
Edmond Dantes

Post by Edmond Dantes »

So I picked up Ridge Racer over the weekend ^__^ Barely spent any time with my buddy Geo because of it (actually, we both got a kick out of how one of the cars is called Skykid).

Local game store also had Gran Turismo PSP and (IIRC) two of the Need for Speed games (Carbon: OTC and Underground if I remember correctly). I might pick those up laters.

and Ghegs, if you wanna compile a database for Genesis/Mega Drive racers, this video might help. I actually thought some of those games looked impressive for the hardware.
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

Edmond Dantes wrote:and Ghegs, if you wanna compile a database for Genesis/Mega Drive racers, this video might help. I actually thought some of those games looked impressive for the hardware.
Yep, Genesis games will included in the database eventually. Thanks for the vid, I'll have to keep it in my mind when I get around to the system.

My videos