Racing Topic! (was: Best racing games for PSP?)

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Edmond Dantes

Re: Racing Topic! (was: Best racing games for PSP?)

Post by Edmond Dantes »

Renamed the thread to accomodate its expanded focus.

And another question:

Okay, so I was looking up Nascar 99 for Playstation (I picked it up at Goodwill and wondered what other people thought) and I noticed there was a version called "Nascar 99 Legacy" which is apparently a collector's edition (there was one for 98 as well).

But I can't find any info on what, exactly, is in the Legacy version that's not in the regular version, save that legacy is apparently 2-discs.

So, anyone know?

(Anyone but me get the feeling that most gamers don't play sports games?)
The resident X-Multiply fan.
lilmanjs

Post by lilmanjs »

Edmond Dantes wrote:Renamed the thread to accomodate its expanded focus.

And another question:

Okay, so I was looking up Nascar 99 for Playstation (I picked it up at Goodwill and wondered what other people thought) and I noticed there was a version called "Nascar 99 Legacy" which is apparently a collector's edition (there was one for 98 as well).

But I can't find any info on what, exactly, is in the Legacy version that's not in the regular version, save that legacy is apparently 2-discs.

So, anyone know?

(Anyone but me get the feeling that most gamers don't play sports games?)
I quite can't remember, but I don't think there is much to the Legacy version of Nascar 99 besides Homestead being a new track added. I'm sure you can find some youtube videos though, but I've only ever owned the non legacy version of Nascar 99.
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

LEGACY VERSION FEATURES:
Dale Earnhardt, Jr. joins the field of 37 NASCAR Drivers
16 Licensed NCASCAR tracks - now including Miami-Homestead Speedway
Authentic head-to-head NASCAR racing
2 Player split-screen racing - race father vs. son
Championship season mode
Exclusive Two-man booth featuring Bob Jenkins and Benny Parsons
24 Hi-res cars on the track
Includes NASCAR Rocks Music CD!
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
Edmond Dantes

Post by Edmond Dantes »

Thanks, Ghegs.

(Incidentally I've been lurking at Rolling Start... might sign up soon. Mostly been reading about racing controllers)

.... on another note, tried to play Pole Position on Namco Museum Volume One and... wow, has this game always been this twitchy? Or is it just a game that seriously demands a neGcon? Is there a version that'll work with analog sticks?

... Also, what are some good racers for the PC-Engine/TurboGrafx-16 (both hucard and CD)? I played a bit of Rad Racer today and it put me in the mood for more games in that style.
The resident X-Multiply fan.
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

Yeah, in the PS1 Namco Museum the two Pole Position games are digital-only unless played with a neGcon. Luckily Pole Position is on a good number of other Namco collections as well. Namco Museum (PS2, Xbox, GC), Namco Museum: 50th Anniversary (PS2, Xbox, GC, PC), Namco Museum Virtual Arcade (Xbox 360)...the game should work with analog sticks on these.

Not that many racers on the PCE...there's OutRun, and Road Spirits is kind of the same vein as that and Rad Racer.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Ghegs wrote: Not that many racers on the PCE...there's OutRun, and Road Spirits is kind of the same vein as that and Rad Racer.
Final Lap Twin is good stuff and even has a RPG style mode.

Yeah, Pole Position in Namco Museum v. 1 PSX is more twitchy than other ports I have played, including ones with digital controls. I definitely plan to get a Negcon to play it better.
Obiwanshinobi

Re: Best racing games for PSP?

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

Edmond Dantes wrote:So yeah, I'm looking for Racers for any system I own now. That means every console up to the PS2 and Gamecube, any PC up 'til Windows 98, and, ummm... yeah.
Moto Racer (1, 2, 3) on PC/PSX. Some liked them best played with a keyboard, but analogue pad (recognised as "joystick" in the menu) did the job for me. Mashed: Fully Loaded. Crash 'N' Burn (2004). Midnight Club II (the PS2 version). The original Burnout.
Nitrobike on PS2 seemed okay, but I haven't played the Wii version.
Jak X (play without memory card in a slot to avoid the glitchy auto-saving).
In F-Zero GX play the Story mode.
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

HydrogLox

Post by HydrogLox »

Edmond Dantes wrote:TOPIC EXPAND!
So yeah, I'm looking for Racers for any system I own now. That means every console up to the PS2 and Gamecube, any PC up 'til Windows 98, and, ummm... yeah.
Some former Wipeout/Wipeout XL team members formed Curly Monsters and released N.Gen Racing for PS1 (and Quantum Redshift for the classic Xbox (works on 360BC)).
Cannonballs

Post by Cannonballs »

Very old bump but didn’t know where to ask, anyone have any experience with Sega Race TV? I know it was never ported and the arcade didn’t seem to be very popular in USA.
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

Seeing this one bumped, I feel Moto Racer Advance deserves a mention. It's a really real Moto Racer game, imagine Ridge Racer on GBA being any good. Some amateurish artwork in menus, utter lack of music and pretty bullshit A.I. dudes (bumping into them doesn't seem to slow THEM down whatsoever, makes me feel like I'm racing against solid ghosts) are the worst of it, so, if you are not cool about button mashing in F-Zero: Maximum Velocity, GBA's most essential racer for you might well be Moto Racer Advance.
Having had a pretty good gaming experience with GBA ports of Sega titles (Super Monkey Ball, ChuChu Rocket!), I would expect GBA OutRun to deliver as well.
Also, I consider Kuru Kuru Kururin to be a racing game. Seeing it called "puzzler" all the time is one of things that very much drove me out of internet.
I've recently been in awe with the Wii TrackMania again. I feel I could study its craft for years! It is monumental. There's faith in gaming to be had after all.
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Cannonballs wrote:Very old bump but didn’t know where to ask, anyone have any experience with Sega Race TV? I know it was never ported and the arcade didn’t seem to be very popular in USA.
I haven't heard of it before, but I watched a video and it looks interesting. Like a mix of Power Drift and F-Zero GX.
guigui

Post by guigui »

Necroing this thread because I was having fond memories of Sonic & All Stars Transformed game on the PS3, then a little search lead me to this game "Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing Battle", supposedly out in Q1 2022.
But I never heard of it anywhere else than this page. Any informations on this game :

https://sonicfanon.fandom.com/wiki/Soni ... ing_Master
Bravo jolie Ln, tu as trouvé : l'armée de l'air c'est là où on peut te tenir par la main.
Air Master Burst

Post by Air Master Burst »

guigui wrote:Necroing this thread because I was having fond memories of Sonic & All Stars Transformed game on the PS3, then a little search lead me to this game "Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing Battle", supposedly out in Q1 2022.
But I never heard of it anywhere else than this page. Any informations on this game :

https://sonicfanon.fandom.com/wiki/Soni ... ing_Master
That's the site for Sonic fans to list features for their dream games, not real info on games that actually exist.
King's Field IV is the best Souls game.
guigui

Post by guigui »

Oh well, welcome to the internet, me :oops:
Bravo jolie Ln, tu as trouvé : l'armée de l'air c'est là où on peut te tenir par la main.
copy-paster

Post by copy-paster »

Was about to make a new racing thread since I've been back on racing game fever lately, and double checked and found this thread. :lol:

You just can't go wrong with PSP Ridge Racers. It's like combination of all the good things of previous RRs/"best of" sorta thing and make it much better. Handling is pure arcadey goodness and even includes almost all the tracks from previous entries, also bringing back previous music tracks albeit fewer are selected but the new tracks are bangers too. To think that this was the system's launch game and imagine seeing this back in the day with PS2-like graphics and all run with 60fps no dips whatsover.

BTW do anyone here also have interest with Simcades?
Air Master Burst

copy-paster wrote:You just can't go wrong with PSP Ridge Racers. It's like combination of all the good things of previous RRs/"best of" sorta thing and make it much better. Handling is pure arcadey goodness and even includes almost all the tracks from previous entries, also bringing back previous music tracks albeit fewer are selected but the new tracks are bangers too. To think that this was the system's launch game and imagine seeing this back in the day with PS2-like graphics and all run with 60fps no dips whatsover.
Ridge Racer PSP is great but completely irrelevant because Ridge Racer 2 on PSP has all the stuff from the first one plus nearly every track and song that had been in any Ridge Racer up to that point. It's in a dead heat with RR4 for best in the series.

Also wanna give a special shoutout to the PSP version of Midnight Club: LA Remix! Instead of a straight port of the underwhelming console version, it gives you kind of a greatest hits mashup of Midnight Clubs 2 and 3. Midnight Club 2 is still the finest street-racing game I think I've ever played.
copy-paster

Post by copy-paster »

Yes I refer Ridge Racers as the whole (includes RR2), both are basically the same game with the latter just add few extras.

I did have great time with MC3 Dub Remix, it's one of my favorite arcade racer as well but I haven't finish all the career modes yet. Felt it was too long to progress.
Air Master Burst

Midnight Club 3 is pretty good too, but I find all the licensed cars and focus on customization really takes away from the quality of the actual racing.
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

Outrun 2006. Everything else competes for second place.

The wipeout games are pretty good too.
Air Master Burst

To Far Away Times wrote:Outrun 2006. Everything else competes for second place.

The wipeout games are pretty good too.
Outrun 2/2006 is amazing, but the PSP port (while solid) is pretty far from the best version of that game.

I'd take Wipeout Pulse and Ridge Racer 2 over PSP Outrun 2006, but I don't know if either measure up to the console or arcade versions of Outrun. Wipeout Pulse probably does.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

I had a lot of fun with the Wangan Midnight series too. The lack of a proper port of the arcade games has always been a shame, though.

Am I the only one who wants chase cam games to not have that zoom in and out effect as speed increases and decreases? I'm a firm believer in the camera staying firmly planted at a fixed distance behind the car regardless of speed. Many arcade games have stayed faithful to this design but there's many modern games that have implemented this dynamic camera effect, and I hate my car getting much further away from the camera if I'm going fast. It just makes it harder to see without adding anything fun to the experience.
copy-paster

Post by copy-paster »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:Am I the only one who wants chase cam games to not have that zoom in and out effect as speed increases and decreases? I'm a firm believer in the camera staying firmly planted at a fixed distance behind the car regardless of speed.
I think this is made to get the sense of speed of driving, and I kinda like this dynamic too because sometimes going fast isn't always the best. NFS ProStreet Speed Challenge is one of the games I could think of got the best sense of speed and camera dynamic.

Pretty sure PS2-era japanese racing games always have fixed chase cam regardless of speed.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

If it were a toggle option I'd be okay with it, but I've honestly yet to see it in any racing game that has it. Doesn't seem to be a standard option feature. I find it also a nuisance in games like GTA:SA...