All things Monster Hunter (and other Hunting Action Games)

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Immryr

Re: All things Monster Hunter (and other Hunting Action Game

Post by Immryr »

i don't think there are specific single player or multiplayer quests in MHW. you can do everything either way, as far as i know.

i've been maining hammer and bow. luckily there are a few armour pieces which work well with both so that saved me some grinding.
Immryr

Post by Immryr »

i've been trying to get into using the lance in MHW, partly as i need a weapon for cutting tails and partly cause for some reason i still can't stop playing it despite having now killed everything there is to kill.

i'm not very good at it yet, it's hard to get used to the slow walk speed when you have your weapon out, and the lack of dodge roll, even though it has a lot of good mobility options. i've found myself getting wrecked by things like tempered teostra's big explosion attack as i would normally just run and if needed superman dive out of the way of that but sheathing the lance takes forever, and it kills me through my guard - although i haven't tried power guarding it yet.

i need to mess around with adding skills like guard up and/or evade extender to my kit i think.

fun weapon though, on the whole.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Does bow not have slicing shot?

So this is the case with regular and G rank Teostra in 4U: the supernova explosion when he's flying happens a set amount of time after he enters rage mode. Unless he gets staggered, tripped or mounted which ends either the rage or the countdown, I think.

Ah apparently Evades with lance don't chain together anymore in world - In the older games you could use evade skills to totally change lance's playstyle. People were either guard lancers or evade lancers. Kinda cool.

I finally got a sweet endgame Horn in 4U, and a decent set that gives me evasion up + challenger 2, which increases my attack and affinity everytime the monster is mad.
Need to finish the Wystone quests now so i can take on Apex monsters.
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
Immryr

Post by Immryr »

they changed bows in MHW. you can chop tails off with the bow but the only way to do it is using the "dragon piercer" attack. to do this you are completely stationary for like 3 seconds charging the shot. it's a bit tricky and tedious trying to do this enough to cut a tail playing solo.

-edit- i just watched a lance tutorial from MH4U and it looks basically the same as the lance in MHW. you can still chain evades in world. and you can still choose to go for skills which increase the evade distance and amount of iframes, or the strength of your guard, or neither.
Ji-L87

Post by Ji-L87 »

I have a bit hard time with the lance as well, as I main more mobile weapons like switch axe and bow.

Trying to rank up my weapons a bit, having more than one weapon makes for a bit of a grind when trying to stay updated. Rank 6 weapons are so expensive, haha :mrgreen: I might be more strapped for cash than parts for the most time, actually.
CHECKPOINT!
Immryr

Post by Immryr »

Ji-L87 wrote:I have a bit hard time with the lance as well, as I main more mobile weapons like switch axe and bow.

Trying to rank up my weapons a bit, having more than one weapon makes for a bit of a grind when trying to stay updated. Rank 6 weapons are so expensive, haha :mrgreen: I might be more strapped for cash than parts for the most time, actually.
hmm. i've only ran out of cash once, when i made my first two rank 8 weapons iirc, but i think playing solo gets you more zenny per mission than multiplayer.

my advice would be sell things like quality bones and dragonite ore and other similar materials. when i ran out of cash i had something like 400 quality bones and they sell for 750z a piece! sell 350 of those and you're looking good for cash again.

running multiple weapon types definitely makes things more grindy, i currently have 5 maxed out bows, 3 maxed out hammers and 3 maxed out lances :O

still have hardly any good decorations though..........
Last edited by Immryr on Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
gbaplayer

Post by gbaplayer »

Started MHW 3 days ago and i´m already 10 hours into the game. So awesome. :)
My PCB Collection (2): Cyvern, R-Type Leo
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Hah, the rule for new posters/games here should be to say what weapon you're maining.
gbaplayer

Post by gbaplayer »

I play with the Great Sword. :roll:

In MH4U i played Great Sword and Gunlance.
My PCB Collection (2): Cyvern, R-Type Leo
Immryr

Post by Immryr »

maaaaan, they took away the tempered deviljho event quest before i had a chance to really try it. i did try it once and got wrecked, but at that point i had only ever fought two deviljho so i decided to leave it till i had killed a few more regular ones. i thought the quest would be up for a week -_-

ah well i'm sure it will be back at some point.

deviljho in general is a nice addition to the game. he's fun to fight and his turf wars are really great. his weapons on the whole seem pretty great too. i've already made the bow and just need another gem to get the final form lance.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Apparently regular Jho has been nerfed to the point where he's not as tough as he was.
The old elitists I've seen here and there are mad about it. Add to this the fact he dropped into a game where a lot of people have endgame stuff now.

Tried Apex Deviljho event quest in 4u with decent party from the discord and we got wiped.
He's 4-1 on me now.

Realised it was much easier to take on Apex Rajang as they're such glass cannons. They go down so quickly that there's simply less time to fuck up. Finally got 3 Large Zenith Wyvern Gems so i can hone my endgame weapon to add another 100 damage.
Lol this game.
Immryr

Post by Immryr »

yeah the regular jho isn't too bad. i'm guessing tempered deviljho is much more like he was in the older games. half of his attacks one shot you and he has a huge amount of hp.

having said that, anyone who starts the game now will have deviljho invading their quests and explorations basically as soon as they enter high rank when he will be quite a bit harder to deal with since they won't already have full high rank builds.
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

A Monster Hunter 2 translation exists now. "Better late than never", but would have been worth a lot more around ~10 years ago, eh...
Air Master Burst

Post by Air Master Burst »

Is there very much content in MH2 that didn't make it into the PSP version?
King's Field IV is the best Souls game.
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

I've only played through Unite, so I'm sketch on all the differences. I think Unite has more monsters and stages due to the post game quests.

Dos has a different town hub, a season+day/night cycle, no farm, and sub quests instead of gathering quests being their own thing. Maybe fewer weapons and rearranged quest order.