All things Monster Hunter (and other Hunting Action Games)

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Obiwanshinobi

Re: All things Monster Hunter (and other Hunting Action Game

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

It's of the same necessity as preserving coin-op games in MAME.
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

BryanM

Post by BryanM »

Really some of those fights, like the Midget Khezu, palette swaps, and the invisible snore dragon, are more like anti-content that annihilates existing content when they come into contact with one another.

I do appreciate the monster fatigue added since 3; a longer fight doesn't make it harder. Just longer.
Wooph

Post by Wooph »

Tri may lack content, but every bit of it was enjoyable. I'm hoping that this server emulation project will somehow restore 10 player room capacity for the US/EU versions of the game.
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

For as long as low resolutions look bad on modern displays, I'll have use for a CRT. For as long as there's an SDTV under my roof, I'll have use for my Wii. Therefore I want my Wii games to be fully playable on it. Same with TrackMania - it may be technically superior on PC, but having one for the Wii is better than having none.
Last edited by Obiwanshinobi on Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The way out is cut off

gs68

Post by gs68 »

BryanM wrote:Or, like, 20 days after I said that.

Monster Hunter 4G, fall for Japan, 2015 for gaijin. That's.... one really, really, fucking long wait, that.

Would be simpler to just translate the damn thing yourself, srsly
I'm just glad it's getting released here. Besides, I should work on 3U first. Just unlocked 7* Moga quests and High-Rank Tanzia quests.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

I'm thinking of going for the Wii U 3 Ultimate and then getting the 3DS 4 Ultimate when it comes out. Good choice?
Jonathan Ingram

Post by Jonathan Ingram »

BryanM wrote:Really some of those fights, like the Midget Khezu, palette swaps, and the invisible snore dragon, are more like anti-content that annihilates existing content when they come into contact with one another.
MHP2ndG/MHFU still has more hunting arenas, unique monster types and weapons than any other game in the series(although Monster Hunter 4G might be a contender) and that's what matters in the end.
...and the invisible snore dragon
Don't you diss the Elder Dragon Chameleos! He's cool and he's got a goddamn MGS3 music theme to prove it.

BrianC wrote:I'm thinking of going for the Wii U 3 Ultimate and then getting the 3DS 4 Ultimate when it comes out. Good choice?
MH3U is one of the most accessible games in the series and has got plenty of content, so yes.
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

Oh oh, and pellet shot for bowguns! I'm pretty sure that it has part water damage, and if the monster isn't weak to water (and the way the elemental system in the series is set up, it probably isn't) then you end up doing feeble damage. Where can you any of these hings out? Why, the internet of course. The game certainly isn't going to tell you.

So obtuse. So "get ye flask". I love and hate it so much.
gs68

Post by gs68 »

So I fought Plesioth. Twice. (second time with a friend).

That hipcheck has a bigger-proportioned hitbox than a euroshmup player ship.
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

Cracked MH Tri open at last. My first Monster Hunter, and I'm delighted to say it's the first game for evenings since months I really feel like playing. Arcade-like games are better off played in the mornings on empty stomach (hot water only), but I found just the right balance of action-adventure incentives and forgiving combat system*) in Tri that keeps me coming back just before going to bed.

*) So far nothing seemed to demand as sharp reflexes as issening in Onimusha.
The way out is cut off

beatsgo

Post by beatsgo »

Yes you can blame me for bumping this damn old thread, but I feel it's relevant because MH4U is da bomb. :mrgreen:

Anyone who wants to add me on their friend's list just needs to look at this thread. There's only a select few I hunt with at the moment, but willing to expand my list and guild cards yo.
Ex-STGWeekly Crew
Sky of Pin
LoserGaiden
shmups IRC wrote:wich linode wud u fuk
CMoon

Post by CMoon »

MH4U probably ought to be my next purchase. After I wrap up a few things with bloodborne I might need to give it some space for a little bit.
Randorama wrote:ban CMoon for being a closet Jerry Falwell cockmonster/Ann Coulter fan, Nijska a bronie (ack! The horror!), and Ed Oscuro being unable to post 100-word arguments without writing 3-pages posts.
Eugenics: you know it's right!
SHMUP sale page.
Jonathan Ingram

Post by Jonathan Ingram »

So, now that everyone has played MH4U, does anyone actually enjoy fighting Apex monsters and going through the slog of leveling up Guild Quests for relic equipment drops?
Immryr

Post by Immryr »

Anyone getting excited for MH world? I've never really got into the series before, only really tried playing tri on the wii for a bit, but I've been enjoying trying out the beta this weekend. I'll probably be getting this on ps4 at launch, which is very rare for me. My main concern is whether or not I'll be able to get in to the grindy nature of the game as the combat seems like a lot of fun with a good amount of depth to it. The hammer is maybe my favourite weapon so far, the charge attacks are just so satisfying, and I don't usually like really heavy weapons all that much.

I haven't yet solo killed nergigante, I keep running out of time, and watching some YouTube clips of people doing it shows I have a lot to learn about fighting in this game.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Oh cool, didn't know about this thread.

Got MH4U to play with a good friendo round 6 months ago. We were obsessed with it for a while, played as a duo all the way to G-rank. I mostly used Hunting Horn, swapping to Gsword when I wanted simplicity. Everything's much easier when using Greatswords honestly.
He went Insect Glaive for his first MH aswell. nutter.
Jonathan Ingram wrote:So, now that everyone has played MH4U, does anyone actually enjoy fighting Apex monsters and going through the slog of leveling up Guild Quests for relic equipment drops?
Haven't got quite this far yet. We've only just started breaking into G rank, probably gonna play with randoms now.
I'm not sure whether to ditch my highrank armour with its middling set of skills just to get G rank defense armour from the shitty early mosnters like DamnYo!Hermitaur

It's such a wiki game, like fuck off and go home unless you're gonna sit with the wiki open the whole time, or Kiranico.
For that reason and the funky handheld controls, I heard MH world described as " A Monster Hunter game for actual human beings."
It's funny cause it's true.

That being said I'm not hyped for MH world. Probably because I haven't exhausted MH4U yet, and possibly got tired of it.
I'll probs pick it up months later when they've fixed inevitable bugs..
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
Ji-L87

Post by Ji-L87 »

I'm excited for MH World, yes. However I'm not participating in the beta, but will pick it up the day it launches here. Hopefully that means playing it that day also, although it is possible some renovation work in the apartment might get in the way. We'll see. A friend is picking it up also, which I look forward too. However I don't have a really good chat solution for Ps4 yet (so used to the classic hanging out in the same room MH experience)

I need to get PSN+ also, which is a major bummer but the PC version is way off at this point so I'll have no choice.

Unsure what weapon I'll play but switch axe and charge blade are my usual fall backs. It would be fun actually getting good with the bow one day.
CHECKPOINT!
Immryr

Post by Immryr »

played MHW for a little bit last night.... i really hope the story isn't too intrusive. the characters are pretty annoying.
Ji-L87

Post by Ji-L87 »

So the game is out, what do y'all reckon so far?

I could only get a bit in during the weekend but me and a friend did try out some multiplayer which was nice of course, until PSN went down.
A shame there isn't too much to do until you've gotten further along in the story mode, since going co-op doesn't work if there's cutscenes you haven't seen or something and the gathering hall missions aren't as plentiful early on as they usually are.

It is gorgeous tho'.
And fun and satisfying on a mechanical level. Hitting things feels good.

My hunter does look a bit wonky in the actual game, something more people seem to be affected by. I did re-do since my first character looked kinda out of it, thousand yard stare and everything :mrgreen:
CHECKPOINT!
Immryr

Post by Immryr »

Ji-L87 wrote:So the game is out, what do y'all reckon so far?

I could only get a bit in during the weekend but me and a friend did try out some multiplayer which was nice of course, until PSN went down.
A shame there isn't too much to do until you've gotten further along in the story mode, since going co-op doesn't work if there's cutscenes you haven't seen or something and the gathering hall missions aren't as plentiful early on as they usually are.

It is gorgeous tho'.
And fun and satisfying on a mechanical level. Hitting things feels good.

My hunter does look a bit wonky in the actual game, something more people seem to be affected by. I did re-do since my first character looked kinda out of it, thousand yard stare and everything :mrgreen:
i'm loving it so far, just been playing solo and done a few main missions and quite a lot of side missions so far. i'm about 12.5 hours in and the next main mission for me is trying to trap the elder dragon. the last two main missions i did, fighting the thunder flying squirrel guy and then the anjanath, were really good fights. they were the first ones to make me faint so far(iirc) and felt pretty intense.

are you registering investigations with the research guys in the main market area? i didn't think there were very many side missions till i discovered that bit. there are loads there, although a lot of them are pretty much the same/slight variations on a theme.

oh, and my character also looks pretty weird, and not how i remember her looking in the create a character bit at the start....
Ji-L87

Post by Ji-L87 »

Immryr wrote:
i'm loving it so far, just been playing solo and done a few main missions and quite a lot of side missions so far. i'm about 12.5 hours in and the next main mission for me is trying to trap the elder dragon. the last two main missions i did, fighting the thunder flying squirrel guy and then the anjanath, were really good fights. they were the first ones to make me faint so far(iirc) and felt pretty intense.
I've had a few embarrassing faints so far, both was me getting cocky thinking I could take on Anjanath when I clearly couldn't and then I ran into a Rathian on an early story quest and got burnt to a crisp.
Immryr wrote: are you registering investigations with the research guys in the main market area? i didn't think there were very many side missions till i discovered that bit. there are loads there, although a lot of them are pretty much the same/slight variations on a theme.

oh, and my character also looks pretty weird, and not how i remember her looking in the create a character bit at the start....
No, we didn't, but you're right, we totally should. Although right now, it's very same-y since we progressed far enough to unlock various things.

As for my hunter, character select and change appearance-screen both look fine (ofc) but in game she looks....a tad pudgy? Eyelids are thicker and everything. But lightning also seems to have a big effect.
CHECKPOINT!
Immryr

Post by Immryr »

one thing that worries me about this game, and i don't know if it's the same in older games in the series, is how much the whole game is set up like a freemium or 'lifestyle' game where most of its systems, outside of the actual hunting gameplay, is designed for the purpose of habit/addiction forming. all it's missing really is some sort of stamina system limiting how often you can play it and an in game currency you can buy with real world cash.
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

Isn't..... that how all games work....
Immryr

Post by Immryr »

ehhhhh.... not the games i play usually.
Ji-L87

Post by Ji-L87 »

Well, Monster Hunter has always had a semi-MMO structure so the grindy and purposefully addictive gameplay comes as no surprise. It all came full circle with Frontier of course.

At least you're not paying a subscription. For the game anyway, PSN/XBL is another story.

(And I totally kinda wish there was more of Frontier in World, so much potential!)
CHECKPOINT!
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

I want to fight Akantor.

I want one of its stupid 4% drops.
I've beaten it in both gathering hall high rank and caravan before.
I cannot fight Akantor.
The quest isn't there, apparently i have to start and fail quests repeatedly to get the random ones to cycle just so i can fight him.
What quality game design.
Obscura

Post by Obscura »

So, I've spent a few hours with God Eater Ressurection (which is apparently another "Monster Hunter style game" -- I haven't played Monster Hunter -- so I'm guessing it belongs here).

Is this game going to do anything interesting, ever? Or is it just an endless procession of easy bosses that drop stuff that you use to craft more items? Right now, I'm not seeing much this game does above any random Zynga game.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Dunno bro. Haven't played God's Eater. That's quite disappointing to hear, really.

Monster Hunter games (haven't played world) tend to kick you in the teeth early on, and later on too: especially if you get to high rank etc.

Joined up with the MH discord people who are a swell buncha guys n gals, i think.. Don't quote me on the latter.
It's nice to know if I want some HR999 people to carry my ass and farm some G-rank Seregios I can, with them blowing through the monster in 5 minutes compared to my usual 20 if I'm hunting alone.
Still, i'll probably never get the 4% drop I need :|

My goals for MH4U are-
-craft every Hunting Horn/upgrade to max.
-beat the toughest online quest.
-Maybe try to solo it too.
Immryr

Post by Immryr »

so i finally got to the credit roll on monster hunter world, after around 92 hours of play, soloing everything.

in general i've really enjoyed the game so far, i mean, i wouldn't have played it for so long if i didn't, but i'm not sure how much time i'll put into the post game stuff. the monsters are fun to fight but being able to fight the same monsters again but with more hp and more damage is not much of a motivator to make me want to grind a bunch more.

similarly i don't really have any interest in grinding for random chance jewel drops just to make fighting these monsters a bit easier.

-edit- and while it sounds harsh, obscura's summing up of god eater isn't far off what i think of mhw either. i mean, the monsters aren't push overs or anything, there is a decent level of challenge, but i only failed around 3 or 4 missions over the whole game and one of those was me accidentally killing a monster i was supposed to capture....
Immryr

Post by Immryr »

.....and of course the first thing I did after breakfast today was play mhw.....
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Haven't started World, won't be doing so for a while.
So all the stuff you solo'd, is that offline quests or stuff that's supposed to be multiplayer?

What weapon you main?
my guess is Gsword.

In 4U myself and my longtime hunting buddy tried to duo Gogmazios G3 urgent for the first time, 40 minutes until the 3rd death.
shamefur display.
Trying to figure out mechanics mid-fight, especially with the arena's siege weapons etc was very clumsy.
I reckon we almost had him, aswell.