The State of Emulation topic

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
WelshMegalodon

Re: The State of Emulation topic

Post by WelshMegalodon »

soprano1 wrote:lol, they won't.
I'm a day late, but the games have been found.
Indie hipsters: "Arcades are so dead"
Finite Continues? Ain't that some shit.
RBelmont wrote:A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Yeah you need the help of at least 14 press articles before a carrier will pay attention to your case lol. Not surprised.

For having been in charge of investigating lost packages before I can tell they all suck, all postal services and all private carriers.
There's so much stuff going in and out they just don't give a fuck, something like lost packages is too much to handle so they won't do a thing until you give them hell, sue and all the shit.
Be certain that they can find anything that went through their network (as long as it's not been stolen), but you have considerably more chances to make them move their asses if you talk to them as a pro with a weighty account.
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

soprano1 wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hva3twLfU0Q
The Mini NES can run N64...
Shouldn't be surprising at all, if you look at the actual specs of it.

Code: Select all

Allwinner R16 (4x Cortex A7, Mali400MP2 GPU)
SKHynix (256MB DDR3) RAM
Looking at some Geekbench results, it's around the same level of power as the $50 CDN Android-on-a-stick I bought a few years ago.

http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench3/5880915
http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench3/6190757 <-- My score
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

WelshMegalodon wrote:
soprano1 wrote:lol, they won't.
I'm a day late, but the games have been found.
Well, shit, that's good. Hope byuu learned a lesson, though.
ChurchOfSolipsism wrote:I'll make sure I'll download it illegally one day...
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

https://youtu.be/Pmf0xA6aVM4
CEMU, WiiU emulator. Going nicely.
BIL

Post by BIL »

WelshMegalodon wrote:I'm a day late, but the games have been found.
Nice.
soprano1 wrote:Well, shit, that's good. Hope byuu learned a lesson, though.
Hopefully!
byuu wrote:Sounds like he's still up for sending the rest of his games. But we'll be doing it in much smaller lots, through another carrier, with better insurance, going forward.
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

This isn't completely related to the topic, but Nintendo C&D romhacking.net, and the site people won't release an archive. This is shitty.
https://twitter.com/Romhacking_net/stat ... 1088694272
https://twitter.com/Romhacking_net/stat ... 9234450434
dunpeal2064

Post by dunpeal2064 »

soprano1 wrote:This isn't completely related to the topic, but Nintendo C&D romhacking.net, and the site people won't release an archive. This is shitty.
This Twitter account was just created this year, and a bunch of people are saying its a fake account. Figured it was worth mentioning.
tomwhite2004

Post by tomwhite2004 »

dunpeal2064 wrote:This Twitter account was just created this year, and a bunch of people are saying its a fake account. Figured it was worth mentioning.
Fake or not, the website is gone.
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

dunpeal2064 wrote:
soprano1 wrote:This isn't completely related to the topic, but Nintendo C&D romhacking.net, and the site people won't release an archive. This is shitty.
This Twitter account was just created this year, and a bunch of people are saying its a fake account. Figured it was worth mentioning.
Worthy indeed, hmmm. The site is still down, though. Guess i'll wait to see how it turns out.
Thanks for mentioning this.
e_tank

Post by e_tank »

the text up at romhacking.net currently states:
"The patient is alive, however RHDN will remain in the ICU for awhile and cannot accept any visitors."

anyway, i doubt nintendo was responsible. first off, nintendo doesn't have the authority to remove an entire site like that, they can only demand removal of files that they believe violate their ip/copyrights. second, why now? there's no way rhdn was below nintendo's radar up until now. nintendo is very aggressive when it comes to rights enforcement, if they had grounds to take down the site they'd have probably done it a long time ago. third, distributing patches for copyrighted software is (most likely) legal, provided the patch itself contains no copyrighted material, and is distributed freely (important if you ever wish to claim fair use as a defense). for an example of what happens when you ignore the former or latter, see pokemon prism and the case of microstar v formgen, respectively.
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

Yeah, the account is fake.
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

I too am shocked that the Wii Shop Channel is still online.

Nice to get confirmation that the Wii's wifi connection was shit, 3 minutes vs like 10 seconds on a decent network adapter? That's a big enough difference that Nintendo could if they wanted to detect it and ban you for EULA breach or something.

Romhacking.net is up again. The fake Romhacking Twitter account seems to have been 4chan's doing, or they've taken it over recently. That's a weird thing to do. I'll never understand Twitter.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

"Have you ever wanted to put your credit card information into an emulator?"

No, I can't say I have .. :shock:
ZellSF wrote:Nice to get confirmation that the Wii's wifi connection was shit, 3 minutes vs like 10 seconds on a decent network adapter?
There was an ethernet adapter for the Wii and Wii U, although I don't know how much faster it was than wi-fi. Apparently it didn't work half the time anyway .. GG Nintendo.
WelshMegalodon

Post by WelshMegalodon »

mGBA now has preliminary DS support and will be released in the near future as medusa.

https://mgba.io/2017/04/08/medusa/
endrift wrote:Before you get too excited, please allow me to state that this is still a very early work in progress—this isn’t even a 0.1 build of medusa; it’s still buggy, slow, and incomplete. This is more of a proof of concept to show off what I’ve been working on since June of 2016, and the reason mGBA 0.6.0 still isn’t out. While a good number of games work relatively well, virtually every game has graphical bugs, and many have even worse bugs. So caveat emptor, this is not a real release, and medusa won’t be replacing any other DS emulators any time soon.
This is the second new DS emulator we've seen in the past month, the first having been melonDS. Both are sure to become quality alternatives to DeSmuME.
Indie hipsters: "Arcades are so dead"
Finite Continues? Ain't that some shit.
RBelmont wrote:A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

Interesting news. I didn't know about melonds before. Thanks.
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

Obviously not the kind of thing at the forefront of anyone's mind, but is there any serious LCD game emulators out there? Like Game and Watch or Tiger?

From googling, there only seems to be hand crafted recreations and such.
tomwhite2004

Post by tomwhite2004 »

Retroarch added a Game & Watch core a little while back, not tried it myself however.

https://github.com/libretro/gw-libretro

EDIT: Looks like the Retorarch core is based off the recreations by Madrigal too, looks like there is no real emulation out there...
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

PPSSPP got updated to 1.4 some weeks ago. Seems to improve sound, and now supports D3D11.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

BryanM wrote:Obviously not the kind of thing at the forefront of anyone's mind, but is there any serious LCD game emulators out there? Like Game and Watch or Tiger?

From googling, there only seems to be hand crafted recreations and such.
MESS has been getting a few, I believe. Using original code with painstakingly cloned LCD layouts.
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

NESticle turns 20 years old today (!)
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
BIL

Post by BIL »

Always a little perturbing when emulators become nostalgic... :wink: Many fond memories of NESticle and Genecyst. And uh ZSNES, but you didn't get shaweet gore GUI with that one!
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

It's weird, right? But I'm indeed super nostalgic towards it. NESticle is the first emulator I have EVER used and boy, was it ever mindblowing at the time. For me it was in 1999, what pushed me towards emulation was my ARDENT desire to play Final Fantasy 2 and 3 in english.
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

Okay, had a question that might be sliiiightly off topic, technically.

So I'm hoping to play Dreamcast Mars Matrix. I own a Dreamcast, but I cannot for the life of me find a copy of it for sale that's less than hundreds of dollars.

A friend suggested I burn the disc from an iso and play it on my dreamcast, as an alternative to NullDC emulation.

I treasure my Dreamcast though, and don't wanna go shoving random burned data discs into it. So if anyone has any guides or suggestions on this good/bad idea, I'd really appreciate it.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

Squire Grooktook wrote:Okay, had a question that might be sliiiightly off topic, technically.

So I'm hoping to play Dreamcast Mars Matrix. I own a Dreamcast, but I cannot for the life of me find a copy of it for sale that's less than hundreds of dollars.

A friend suggested I burn the disc from an iso and play it on my dreamcast, as an alternative to NullDC emulation.

I treasure my Dreamcast though, and don't wanna go shoving random burned data discs into it. So if anyone has any guides or suggestions on this good/bad idea, I'd really appreciate it.
Get imgburn (http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download) and the Padus .CDI File Mounter (bottom of that page). Unzip the contents to imgburn's main directory. Burn the cdi file at 2x speed, or you might get skips or disc errors.
edit: If you don't feel like installing imgburn, try this tutorial to get a portable version (scroll down to How To Extract): https://www.portablefreeware.com/?id=583
Being freeware from 2013, it installs crapware if you are not careful during installation, so the portable option works better.
Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

Thanks! Will take a look next time I have some freetime.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

I also use imgburn. It seems to be the consensus online for best for the job
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

FinalBaton wrote:I also use imgburn. It seems to be the consensus online for best for the job
Better alternative than installing a shitty outdated cd-burning software, that's for sure.
null1024

Post by null1024 »

Imgburn is fine for DC discs. Most issues you'll see come from people using the built-in CDI "compatibility" [it's fucking shit] without downloading the Padus plugin.
used to keep Discjuggler 6 around for ages though :lol:

Also, I'm pretty sure burning really slow like 2x doesn't actually help things on modern 52x CD-R media [even the cheap stuff].
Keep it somewhat low still, since burning at/near max drive speed definitely does cause issues.
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.