Recommended Anime/Manga?

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
Ji-L87

Re: Recommended Anime/Manga?

Post by Ji-L87 »

soprano1 wrote:Just saw Space Adventure Cobra: The Movie in glorious HD. What a fucking amazing show! :shock:
80's love right there, damn!
GaijinPunch wrote:
soprano1 wrote:Just saw Space Adventure Cobra: The Movie in glorious HD. What a fucking amazing show! :shock:
80's love right there, damn!
I did this a while back and so glad I did. This is what you show people when they ask why you don't like new stuff.
Oh hey, I watched this last week. It has more of a 70s feel I think due to being early 80s but it's such a special experience. Almost dreamlike in a way and the sort of almost fantasy-like sci-fi environments just gives it a time and place that I am sure those who love this kind of very specific thing would find like a warm, comfy blanket. It's a bit too much 70s for my taste, but I do enjoy this kind of stories and happy go lucky characters like Cobra. It's sort of sad, but more beautiful than actually sad and it's too silly to get overly emotional anyway.
Vludi wrote:I didn't care much for the Cobra movie, the TV OP looks sick though :P
Recently watched Kachou Ouji, the premise is really cool: a man in a midlife crisis trying go back to his golden days by playing rock music in an alien interstellar war. However the animation and writing are very lacking, overall it ended up just being "ok" in my book.
Also watched Gosenzo-sama Banbanzai!, really good family dramedy with quite a bit of metanarrative and a "theatric" direction, the first half especially is masterful.
Kachou Ouji is not a very engaging show, but some of the music is pretty cool (and I like the way it's drawn, but as you said, it doesn't really make much of it animation wise).

Edit:

Currently I'm resuming to sitting through Gundam and decided to go right for the 8th MS Team OVA.
I have seen this before, many years ago (and I have the first episode on laserdisc so that one I've given a few spins) but it's always fun to go back with the bluray release. Besides looking great, it too features a 5.1 mix like the one in 0083 and it's very good.

I don't know if I simply forgot or just never noticed how janky the character art can get. It never gets really ugly or anything but coming from 0080 and 0083 it's noticeable. The mechanical drawings, especially the static ones, on the other hand is very nice and has that special quality that only cell animation seems to bring out. I'm only like 3 or so episodes in and thankfully I've forgotten a lot of details since my last viewing so it keeps things interesting.

I think I might have said in one of my older posts discussing topic that 0083 is the reason I embarked on this journey of watching old Gundam shows, but the 8th MS Team is the reason I watched 0083, so in a sense my interest for the old Gundam was born there.

Compared to Seed and Destiny which I watched in high school, or Gundam 00 that just finished airing before I saw 8th MS Team for the first time, everything moves with such sense of weight, slowly clomping through the jungle. Almost to the point where Gundams and Zakus seem totally out of their element - compared to all the flying around in the aforementioned Gundam installments, it was such a different experience.

"Realistic" is not really the right word. But I don't have any other to use instead.

Oh, and the OP is dope.
CHECKPOINT!
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

mycophobia wrote:hi score girl is one ugly fuckin show
I dislike the visual style. But do you mean the content as well? I didn't really get into it at all.
mycophobia

Post by mycophobia »

yeah, visually I meant. just unwatchable basically. the main character is incredibly annoying too, I had to turn it off minutes into the second episode. it really sucks because you can tell the writer loves arcade games
Steamflogger Boss

Strongly agree.

This hurts to look at: https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/hotlin ... visual.jpg

Just an awful character aesthetic. 0/10. Not sure what they were going for with that look.

As for what I've been watching, I got back to slow burning on the meat grinder that is Zeta Gundam.
KAI

Post by KAI »

Read the manga, the anime is shit and it's full of crapcom shill.

The show about the hulal club girls (Hulain Babies) was surprisingly awesome

That and the new Boogiepop are the best things on the season i've seen so far, super recommended.
Last edited by KAI on Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mycophobia

Post by mycophobia »

KAI wrote:Read the manga, the anime is shit and it's full of crapcom shill.
mycophobia wrote:reading is lame
Vludi

Post by Vludi »

KAI wrote:That and the new Boogiepop are the best things on the season i've seen so far, super recommended.
I was a bit disappointed with the new boogiepop, feels like they are going for quantity over quality rushing the character/theme development to cover as many novels as they can (first book should've been like 5 episodes, not 3).
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

MX7

Post by MX7 »

Watched almost two episodes of High School Girl. It's like one of those machine written youtube videos designed to brainwash children. And it looks fucking appaling. The comic is just as bad. It's almost like artifice as fetish. Might as well watch execution footage with occasional flash frames of videogames you sort of have an opinion on.
KAI

Post by KAI »

Hope you guys can give HSG another chance, that 3D adaptation completely killed all of the charm of the manga (I couldn't even get past the 1st ep, it just looks and feels ugly).
Can't argue that the story starts as a series of self-conclusive chapters full of stupid jokes and forced references, but after the 1st volume becomes one of the best romcoms you can find out there, trust me.

And yeah, Oshikiri's style can be hard to swallow at first, but it grows on you really hard over time
Steamflogger Boss

https://www.amazon.com/Armored-Trooper- ... M8P2JH64S0

What a time to be alive. It's not even a real BD but I'll take it.

Also, Perfect Blue is getting a proper BD release. By Shout Factory of all companies, so I'm cautious about it.
professor ganson

Post by professor ganson »

Does anyone here like slice of life anime? If so, any recommendations?
mycophobia

Post by mycophobia »

ESSENTIAL: K-On!(!), Nichijou, Sound! Euphonium, Azumanga Daioh

ok edit:

K-On!(!) is mostly comedy but there's no shortage of heartwarming and tearjerking moments, especially near the end. The last few episodes are a veritable nonstop feels train. First season (~13 eps) is good but second season (~26 eps) and movie are GREAT.

Nichijou is pure comedy. It's hilarious, there are touching moments here and there, but it's mostly just funny. It's also incredibly beautiful, visually.

Sound! Euphonium, while having funny bits, is mostly a character-driven drama. though it is pretty light hearted overall.

Azumanga Daioh....I haven't yet finished but I like it so far. I don't really care for the pedo teacher jokes because that's just kind of uncomfortable but everything else about it is delightful.
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

I do not remember the spelling of the relevant term, but one (sub-)type of "slice of life" is the "soothing experience" staple. Aria is perhaps one of the quintessential examples, and highly suggested as one to watch before sleeping. San-Gatsu no Lion and Honey to Clover are also incredibly beautiful, being coming-of-age stories of repsectively a young Shogi player and his friends, and a group of Arts BA students (the original Mangas are by Chica Umino).

Here is a relevant list, anyway.
Chomsky, Buckminster Fuller, Yunus and Glass would have played Battle Garegga, for sure.
MX7

Post by MX7 »

Not sure K-ON is going to be of much interest to those above the age of 12. Maybe it suddenly shifts target demographic after the first few episodes?

Really enjoyed Shirobako, for an adult women in the workplace narrative. The first 60 seconds are arse clenching dross before it jumps forward half a decade and manages to say some pretty interesting things about working in the creative industries. I learnt loads about how animation is produced. And there's some cuteshit magical realist elements mashed in there too.

The comic Tokyo Tarareba Girls is a playful subversion of shojo comics, with the cast in their mid-30's. Lots of cathartic drinking and regrettable sex, but still broadly light hearted observations on life.

Asobi Asobase is pretty fun in that it's a gross twist of slice of life cliches, with the cast being unlikable and their existance being vapid and boring. It's nowhere near as good as it thinks it is, naturally, and could probably do with going the whole hog in terms of transgression.

Finally Skull Face Bookseller Honda-San is a fun little SOL about a neurotic skeleton who works in a bookshop. Like Shirobako, it's great to absorb the often bland and frank details of a completely unfamiliar workplace, and the central conciet allows from some great deadpan performances from assorted mythical creatures engaged in customer reactions.
mycophobia

Post by mycophobia »

MX7 wrote:Not sure K-ON is going to be of much interest to those above the age of 12. Maybe it suddenly shifts target demographic after the first few episodes?
It's really good, and fun for all ages, OP.
Steamflogger Boss

Some comments on what has been brought up.

When I was much younger I ripped through Azumanga, not sure what I'd think about it now. It's one of the very few anime beyond a movie that I watched more than once.

Honey & Clover is wonderful, that's a top suggestion.

Aria - yep, watch this too.

I couldn't get beyond 1 episode of K-ON. Looked like a moe pit but...maybe it gets better.

Nichijou - haven't seen this, looks solid, added to list.

Shirobako - wanted to get this during the Sentai sale but they didn't have the BD of the first half. It's on my to buy list.

Skull Face Bookseller Honda-San - I hadn't heard of this either but it looks pretty good.

I would recommend Toradora as well.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

professor ganson wrote:Does anyone here like slice of life anime? If so, any recommendations?
I like Lucky Star (yeah, judge me. lol). Konata is such a fucking lazy-slob-gamer-who-postpones-anything-and-everything that I find her strangely relatable. And she's a wiseass too. And also good at sports(so she's not either full-on trash or full-on godlike, like most anime characters. she's really balanced and feel very human). She's my spirit animal...
The banter between the girls is fun too

i lovehow Konata is constantly bugging the older Hiiragi sister. and the later is returning the favor more than enough. but Konata's jabs are pure poison needles. Lol. just savage... pretty funny stuff
Last edited by FinalBaton on Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
KAI

Post by KAI »

Want some good slice of life? watch
Hanasaku Iroha
Hyoka
Sora Yorimo Toi Basho
Gin no Saji
Kyoani stuff is always a must if you are into that genre, SoL/comedies like Kobayashi-san or Amagi Brilliant Park are great

Started watching Godannar yesterday, it's sooooooooooooo gooooooooooooooooood.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

For some reason I knew that KAI would be delivering on this stuff :mrgreen:

Thanks for the reccos bud. will watch
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
mycophobia

Post by mycophobia »

FinalBaton wrote:
professor ganson wrote:Does anyone here like slice of life anime? If so, any recommendations?
I like Lucky Star (yeah, judge me. lol). Konata is such a fucking lazy-slob-gamer-who-postpones-anything-and-everything that I find her strangely relatable. And she's a wiseass too. And also good at sports(so she's not either full-on trash or full-on godlike, like most anime characters. she's really balanced and feel very human). She's my spirit animal...
The banter between the girls is fun too

i lovehow Konata is constantly bugging the older Hiiragi sister. and the later is returning the favor more than enough. but Konata's jabs are pure poison needles. Lol. just savage... pretty funny stuff

oh duh. cant believe i forgot this one
Steamflogger Boss

KAI wrote:

Started watching Godannar yesterday, it's sooooooooooooo gooooooooooooooooood.
Fuck yeah.
Steamflogger Boss

I should get Lucky Star on BD and watch it again.
professor ganson

Post by professor ganson »

Wow, a wealth of interesting suggestions. Many thanks!
RiderKick

Post by RiderKick »

Do you mind slice of life series with weird people or beings that are clearly not supposed to be like normal people or revolving around high school?

If you don't mind, i highly recommend Tentai Senshi Sunred: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRsiCn8tszM
Despite the opening, it's almost a seinfeldian show, albeit one about the Red Ranger of a former Sentai team trying to live his goddamn life as a really polite but incompetent group of villains try to kill him in order to conquer the world, again, the opening makes it seem like there's action, but it's mostly just talking and the fights happen off-screen for the most part, it's really fun, interesting and there are quite a few likeable characters, particularly Vamp.
Ji-L87

Post by Ji-L87 »

I guess I'll be the one to put Hidamari Sketch in the pile of slice of life recommendations. But as recommendations go, it is very strong one from me, especially from the second season and onward.

Very enjoyable with a unique and instantly recognizable aesthetic and musical direction.
CHECKPOINT!
Vanguard

Post by Vanguard »

I don't watch much anime, but some of the slice of life manga I'd recommend have anime adaptations:

Hakumei to Mikochi - A pair of gnomes live a mostly peaceful life in a forest. Wonderful art, charming characters and a well-developed setting.

Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun - Comedy about a high school girl who learns that her crush writes girly, romantic manga. She ends up working as his assistant and witnesses the strange people and situations that inspire his writing. Funny and likable cast of misunderstanding-prone weirdos.

Soredemo Machi wa Mawateiru - A superb slice of life about a high school girl who works at a maid cafe in a small town. It's solid in every way.

Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou - A manga about the day to day life of an android who runs a coffee shop during humanity's fading years. Pleasant and relaxed atmosphere.

Azumanga Daioh - Solid comedy 4koma about a group of likable high school girls. Yotsuba by the same author is even better, but that doesn't have an anime.

Danshi Kouhousei no Nichijou - A comedy about the daily lives of some high school boys. Captures the real essence of high school life far better than these things usually do.

While I'm at it, here are some of my other recommended manga:

Dungeon Meshi - Kui Ryoko is one of the greatest mangaka of all time, anything she writes is guaranteed gold. This one's about about a group of adventurers who are left penniless and desperate after a bad encounter with a dragon deep inside a dungeon. They need to return to the dragon's lair to rescue a lost comrade, and since they're broke they decide to cut expenses by eating the monsters they encounter. Most chapters end with a silly cooking show-like segment where you see how the heroes decide to prepare and eat the monster they just killed. Solid art, writing, and characters, and the author's cleverness and attention to detail go a long way towards keeping otherwise-familiar fantasy concepts fresh.

Ryuu no Kawaii Nanatsu no Ko, Hikidashi ni Terrarium, Ryuu no Gakkou wa Yama no Ue, and Kodomo - Short stories by Kui Ryoko. Lots of variety and it's all good stuff.

Dorohedoro - A strange and appealing blend of many things. It's an ultraviolent action/mystery/comedy story set in a grimdark modern fantasy world. The main character, Kaiman, has become a lizardman because of a curse. He lives in a town where wizards frequently come to test their magic on people, and Kaiman and his friend Nikaido have taken up the duty to murder every wizard who dares show their face there.

Yotsuba - First manga I ever read and one of the best. It's a comedy slice of life about a young girl and her innocent, charming perspective on the world.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure - Unique and entertaining fighting shounen where the fights emphasize trickery and creativity rather than power levels. Once it gets started there's very little downtime between action setpieces. Each part is a self-contained story, though characters from earlier parts frequently show up in later ones. Part 1 is good but it takes a while to properly get started. Part 3 introduces supernatural abilities called stands which change things up quite a bit and become the focal point of the manga from that point on.

Mushishi - A manga about a man named Ginko who studies and deals with creatures called mushi, which are something like a cross between supernatural spirits and microorganisms. It feels much more like folklore than a modern fantasy series. Most chapters are self-contained short stories where Ginko comes across people who are being affected in some way by mushi where Ginko needs to figure out what exactly is going on and how to fix it. Many stories of the stories are mostly about the people affected by the mushi, with Ginko's role being to explain what is going on and resolve the situation at the end. I've watched the anime version of this one and it's a good adaptation, though very deliberately paced.

Dragon Ball - Specifically, classic Dragon Ball, before it became Dragon Ball Z. Before the time skip, Dragon Ball was a fun and funny adventure without endless transformations, absurd power levels, or any of the other tedious things the series would become known for.

The Voynich Hotel, Nickelodeon, and Ayame to Amane - Manga by Douman Seiman. His stuff is nearly all comedy, mostly absurdist, and frequently sexual. You should be able to tell pretty quickly whether it's your thing or not.

Akazukin Chacha - A comedy manga about a young apprentice witch and her two friends, a werewolf and an apprentice wizard. They deal with a variety of insane weirdos in a wacky fairy tale world. There's an anime but it's inferior to the original version, with a shoehorned villain and overarching plot that don't play to the series's strengths at all.

Houseki no Kuni - A hard-to-classify manga about sentient, humanoid gemstones in the distant future. The gems live under the constant threat of mysterious, ghostly moon people who attempt to shatter them and carry their shards back to the moon. There's an anime version but I don't think it captures the manga's alien atmosphere.

Zai x 10 - A crime-themed comedy full of Looney Tunes shenanigans. The early chapters are self-contained short stories, but later they're all shown to take place in the same setting. By the author of Danshi Kouhousei no Nichijou.
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

+1 For all the Mangas in Vanguard's post, but I wanted to add a few comments on JoJo, Mushishi and Houseki no Kouni.

JoJo starts really silly, but since the first part it involves heavy doses of citations and intertextuality (three cheers for technical terms).

Part 1 is half Wuthering Heights, half Hong Kong Martial arts movies, with characters names' being homages to (classic) Progressive rock' bands and musicians. Literary references pop in with homages to Fashion covers in a seamless blend.

When stands are introduced in Part 3, they usually feature names from the most disparate songs or bands, and their powers revolve around those names (e.g. Sticky Fingers, Soft and Wet). Part 4's antagonist is a deliciously evil version of David Bowie (well, the Bowie of late 80s) fighting a homage to the Prince of the same era (but taller). From time to time Araki pointed out that he would take inspiration from these two artists (and others, too) in building up the tempo for his stories. Nevertheless, JoJo has remained an adventure manga at its core, and a witty one at that. Besides, Clint Eastwood and Gucci approve of it!

Houseki no Kouni is a "post-anthropocene" SF story mixed with heavy Buddhist elements and a genuine feeling of existential dread, thereby creating a series with a really unique atmosphere. I suspect that the author read some works by Ballard, Moorcock, Banks and other British authors in the "Earth well beyond the demise of humanity" sub-genre. And the antagonist (of sorts) is clearly David Bowie. Well, the protagonist too, at some point. I think that Yokohama has a similar inspiration.

Mushishi has an exceptional anime adaptation, but irrespective of the format it could be defined as "Lovecraft meets youkai" series. The Mushishi are perhaps not as terrifying as Lovecraft's creatures, but they usually involve stories create a deep, primeval, perhaps visceral sense of "otherness". As someone who grew up in the mountains, I also feel that it perfectly capture the sense of constant dread mixed with wonder that this environment can create.

Ok, Nozaki-kun is also excellent in how it uses a meta-narrative dimension while being cleverly funny. The female protagonist and her love interest are mangaka who write about shojos taking inspiration from "real life", i.e. their fictional world and crowd of wacky friends. So, it is a reflection about manga practices and the shojo genre, love, fictional characters reflecting on their fictional creations, and so on.

Since we are here...

I have been re-watching and re-reading Monster. Just to state the absolutely obvious, this series should be taught in schools (say, in a course on "world literature/comics/culture/etc."), if only because Johann Liebert is the greatest antagonist ever. He looks quite David Bowie-ish too, don't you all agree? :wink:
Chomsky, Buckminster Fuller, Yunus and Glass would have played Battle Garegga, for sure.
Steamflogger Boss

RiderKick wrote:
Do you mind slice of life series with weird people or beings that are clearly not supposed to be like normal people or revolving around high school?

If you don't mind, i highly recommend Tentai Senshi Sunred: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRsiCn8tszM
Despite the opening, it's almost a seinfeldian show, albeit one about the Red Ranger of a former Sentai team trying to live his goddamn life as a really polite but incompetent group of villains try to kill him in order to conquer the world, again, the opening makes it seem like there's action, but it's mostly just talking and the fights happen off-screen for the most part, it's really fun, interesting and there are quite a few likeable characters, particularly Vamp.
Are fansubs of this readily available? Looks great.
Randorama wrote: Mushishi has an exceptional anime adaptation, but irrespective of the format it could be defined as "Lovecraft meets youkai" series. The Mushishi are perhaps not as terrifying as Lovecraft's creatures, but they usually involve stories create a deep, primeval, perhaps visceral sense of "otherness". As someone who grew up in the mountains, I also feel that it perfectly capture the sense of constant dread mixed with wonder that this environment can create.
I will second (third?) this. One of my favorite animes. Especially for post 2000 or so.
Randorama wrote:Ok, Nozaki-kun is also excellent in how it uses a meta-narrative dimension while being cleverly funny. The female protagonist and her love interest are mangaka who write about shojos taking inspiration from "real life", i.e. their fictional world and crowd of wacky friends. So, it is a reflection about manga practices and the shojo genre, love, fictional characters reflecting on their fictional creations, and so on.

Since we are here...

I have been re-watching and re-reading Monster. Just to state the absolutely obvious, this series should be taught in schools (say, in a course on "world literature/comics/culture/etc."), if only because Johann Liebert is the greatest antagonist ever. He looks quite David Bowie-ish too, don't you all agree? :wink:
Both of these are also great.

MG Nozaki-kun is probably the best thing I bought during the Sentai sale. It was a very nice surprise. I wasn't expecting a ton out of it.

Monster speaks for itself at this point, an all time classic.
RiderKick

Post by RiderKick »

Well, there are fansubs of the full series, Sunred is even in Youtube(i mean, it's illegal, but the full series is literally on Youtube) so i would say they are readily available.

Just a warning, it really isn't an action superhero show despite the opening, it's a full blown slice-of-life following the life of a hero and his villains and how they live in society most of the time, with superhero shenanigans being more something that happens now and then.