Recommended Anime/Manga?

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
Ghegs

Re: Recommended Anime/Manga?

Post by Ghegs »

Just finished up Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans on Netflix. One of the better Gundam series, I think. The story doesn't go for anything grandiose but keeps it at the raw, sometimes ugly, human level. The mecha designs and energetic battles round it up nicely. There was even some tactics displayed in the battles. The UC-era Gundam series battles are mostly of the "zakos futzing around until a Gundam arrives to kill everything" -variety, so this was a nice change.

Speaking of, before Orphans I had watched Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn, but I just can't get interested in UC-era and how every single a time a kid with no experience whatsoever just stumbles upon an S-grade piece of military machinery and manages to beat battle-hardened veterans on his first time out with it. Everything sure was pretty, though.

Also, Newtypes are dumb.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
Ji-L87

Post by Ji-L87 »

Does Webtoons get a pass in this thread?

I blew through Mage and Demon Queen after finding it. It's cute and immensely, utterly gay and I'm here for it.

I think webtoons, translated korean and chinese webcomics along with whatever's cooking on pixiv currently makes up at least 50% of my manga diet. Mostly fluffy yuri stuff right now with some normal romance mixed in. (And Tamen de Gushi is receiving translations again, yay!)

On the other end of that scale though, I did end up watching The Daily Life of the Fudanshi High School Student, one of those comedy short series under 5 minutes per episode. I thought I was entertaining enought to breeze through in one sitting (the short length helps) and it wasn't so extremely into the yaoi land that I couldn't enjoy it. It's more about the fandom, less hot boys making out and also a lot more level headed than something like "Gakuen Handsome" or whatevs.

While we're knee deep in the marshes of the uncultured trash I'm happily consuming currently, I also found Asobi ni Iku Yo! on crunchy and it's not the worst harem trash I've seen. Not the best, but serviceable and surprisingly solid, on model art. Not fantastic visually as there are some rather shoddy sequences but the art doesn't completely melt down a few episodes in either so that's good.

I would've loved this show if I had seen it when it originally came out, now it's merely middling but there is a lot of nerdy visual trivia that kept me entertained.

Edit:
I completely forgot I also saw Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex again for the first time in years. Snagged a copy of the UK blurays and while I was worried it would've aged poorly in all it's digital glory and abundance, it was fine. In fact, it looked good. Sure, not super crisp but not a blurry mess either. And the audio mix in general is gooood. Much better than I remembered. The translation's a bit...on the mostly good side but not perfect.

Oh, and I still keep crushing on the Major.
CHECKPOINT!
BIL

Post by BIL »

I have been PUNISHING MYSELF HELLISHLY (`ω´メ) with TOTES IMPOSSIBLE GAMING lately, so I got lazy for a more relaxing way to enjoy ICONIC SPACE SHOOTIN and watched Char's Counterattack, mostly blind. I like Gundam films/tv, but I consistently forget 90% of them after watching. I've seen quite a bit at this point, I just don't care much I suppose. I used to feel the same about Star Wars until it all went to shit in 1999.

Loved everything relating to space warfare. Falling colonies, frantic fleet maneuverings and sneaky tricks. Nu Gundam looks so fucking good I wanted to blast a load through the ceiling.

The teen drama stuff OTOH:

Wasn't expecting it to haul off and result in
Spoiler
multiple fatalities. Dumb kids. Poor Chan. Image

Hm. Admired the commitment, even if the setup caught me unawares. Loved the wistful shots of Bright's wife and daughter on the road.

Good stuff, even if you're a filthy casual like me.
WelshMegalodon

Post by WelshMegalodon »

Shameful confession time: I love the mech designs of the UC-era Gundam series but have never been able to watch one to completion. The 1/144 Mk II on my bookshelf is probably disappointed in me.
Indie hipsters: "Arcades are so dead"
Finite Continues? Ain't that some shit.
RBelmont wrote:A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire
kitten

Post by kitten »

after the movie was confirmed, the future of made in abyss' anime was put into question and the previously 'confirmed' second season went back into being an uncertainty, but it is back on track.

i'm pleased, but a little bit surprised! frankly, what starts going on when they hit the 6th layer (which is presumably where the second season while pick up and i believe where the movie leaves off) seems pretty unpalatable for television, but with the success of the series i suppose it's hard not to continue it. the anime toned down a lot of what went on in the manga in the first season, but i feel like it's going to be much harder to avoid in the second.
~Imagination and memory are but one thing, which for diverse considerations have diverse names~
Image | Image
~*~*~*~*~*~* If there's a place that I could be ~ Then I'd be another memory *~*~*~*~*~*~
null1024

Post by null1024 »

Re-watched Puella Magi Madoka Magica.
The series and Rebellion.
It is just as good as I remembered it. It's stylish, it's well paced, and it really delivers as a story. Great soundtrack too. Kyoko best girl.
I also forgot how much the OP pissed me off.

spoilers ahoy:
Spoiler
Every single thing Homura says in the series feels like someone cutting me on a re-watch, good lord. She's so jaded and broken after her constant fucking up that she outright can't express herself properly to Madoka, or anyone else. Nearly six hours of watching Homura just suffer.

It's still immensely hard for me to accept Sayaka's whole "I'm not human" bit, if largely because I've watched and read an absolute fuckton of media that provides the opposite message she believes -- your humanity [or at least, personhood] comes from what you do, rather than what you are, even if you're basically like a brain in a jar or a living suit of armor or whatever, although I will accept the fact that she was basically "under the influence" with her Soul Gem's taint and wasn't in a reasonable state to look positively at anything. Her ideals of what she considers to be "right and just" really totally suck though. She's still likable despite this, but god damn, I still feel like her whole descent [which is really important, a bunch of the events and themes that happen in the show revolve around her becoming a Witch] could have been handled a bit better thematically.
Whats-her-face and Kyosuke being a thing wasn't as bad as I remembered. Sayaka just wasn't in any reasonable state to actually think things through. It's just the cherry on her shit sucks sundae.

Also, there's a bunch of stuff I didn't catch in the movie because there was a good bit of time between when I first saw the series and when I first saw Rebellion.
Pretty sure I wasn't paying attention at the end of Rebellion too the first time, because Homura's whole "becoming the devil" bit makes a lot more sense. Madoka is too late at the end in saving her. The conditions QB set up made Homura become something even worse than a Witch.
I also didn't realize why Nagisa and Sayaka were the only ones who remembered the original past before Madoka ascended the first time -- they were the only two who became Witches. As such, they were they only ones who were at Madoka's side with the whole Law of the Cycles thing to come join actively in rescuing Homura. The others just died.
I'm watching Magia Record as well, and I kinda don't like how it's being handled.
Spoiler
Holy FUCK, why did they change the rumor?
You didn't need to write your name on the staircase in the game to activate the rumor. Changing it really makes their constant feuding into something a hell of a lot more serious, since the rumor now requires the participants to actively be involved. Rena seems like much more of a bitch here than in the game too.
It's still fairly stylish, and it doesn't feel like the staff are phoning it in [despite it being based on a phone game lol].
still miffed that there's no post-Rebellion anything [but IIRC, the staff doesn't want to do it without Urobuchi on board, which is fair]

Ghegs wrote: Speaking of, before Orphans I had watched Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn, but I just can't get interested in UC-era and how every single a time a kid with no experience whatsoever just stumbles upon an S-grade piece of military machinery and manages to beat battle-hardened veterans on his first time out with it. Everything sure was pretty, though.

Also, Newtypes are dumb.
I love UC-era Gundam, but god damn, newtypes really are stupid. Newtypes are the reason said kid can do dick diddly squat without getting wrecked, but the sheer amount of newtype hax shit the series pulls is definitely grating.
Was pretty fun with how Zeta went all in on the stupid, at least.
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

Spoiler
Sayaka's deal was just a prolonged breakdown. While the other characters wished for not quite the right thing from the monkey's paw, what Sayaka wanted and what she wished for were much further apart. Additionally note that she was in love with an asshole, which is a point of evidence heavily in favor of my "Sayaka is a huge asshole" theory.
Always got to say - in this high stress environment where everyone hates everyone else and stabs them in the back repeatedly, I still think Madoka is the craziest bitch of them all for her "why can't we all get along" policy.

Talking about high stress and crazy bitches, there's a new When The Cicadas Cry project coming this year. As a (mostly) dubtard, not getting this and Season 2 englishified are among my biggest regrets.

I used to think the dramatically more limited selection was the worst part of this lifestyle choice, but Saiki K just kills me:

Season 1: Great dub A+++ will watch on repeat.
Season 2: No dub.
Season 3: A dub, but the writer is changed and they have a completely new cast.

...I think Netflix might be a monkey's paw..
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

I'm just glad we got more Saiki K.
kitten

Post by kitten »

null1024 wrote:Re-watched Puella Magi Madoka Magica.
The series and Rebellion.
It is just as good as I remembered it. It's stylish, it's well paced, and it really delivers as a story. Great soundtrack too. Kyoko best girl.
I also forgot how much the OP pissed me off.
i really enjoy madoka for the slick animation, but as far as delivering on a story, i feel like the series fell really flat! they can't help themselves but use constant exposition dumps (under the apparent belief that this was replacement for "a story"), and kyubey's explanation of what the incubators are and how the universe works felt outright embarrassing in how it just went on and on. madoka really likes to beat you over the head. there was ultimately no message to the story other than to trade pointless suffering for slightly less pointless suffering and make homura out to be a tragic figure, really. mind you, i enjoy its aesthetics of suffering, i think the series is worth a watch (gosh does it sag and do nothing at all in the middle, though!), i just feel like the show is a bit lowbrow, even stupid. feels like bait for the average anime watcher to get wrapped up in the self-indulgent rules of while nothing of importance is actually intimated.

the movie (rebellion) felt like it tried to have an actual point and was made almost in spite of the series, however. it treats love (actual love, not the self-flagellating, non-reciprocal shit sayaka went through) as something audacious and rebellious in and of itself and seems to have some manner of interesting philosophy on the exercising of personal agency. treats it as iconoclastic - even 'evil' - to want to leave the constant drama of a fantasy romance and sacrifice and just live for the one you love. feels like it's lifting from another magical girl show about true love, agency, and revolution, though! hard to not see parallels to utena, especially when kyubey starts exposition dumping about homura being, and this is a direct quote - "like a chick who grew up within its own shell." they also literally call the movie "rebellion" and madoka's current incarnation "the law of cycle."

in typical madoka fashion, it's pretty heavy-handed, but it at least says or suggests something of substance. i feel like it's obviously not saying that homura's love is actually evil, but it's framed as such because it's an act of rebellion against the rules of society (and, you know, existence, the world, etc.). she's no more evil than anthy leaving ohtori academy to find utena. choosing to live for a love you are certain you feel, having the audacity to self-determine - that is the rebellion, the revolution, etc. utena does it (a lot) smarter, but madoka eventually gets somewhere with the movie, and it gets there in its own uniquely edgy way. feels like it can't totally commit to it with the post-credits stinger, but whatever. maybe they're planning on doing some solipsistic, lain-esque shit when they continue homura's story, i don't know.
what really matters about the movie, though, is that bebe is the cutest thing Image
~Imagination and memory are but one thing, which for diverse considerations have diverse names~
Image | Image
~*~*~*~*~*~* If there's a place that I could be ~ Then I'd be another memory *~*~*~*~*~*~
MX7

Post by MX7 »

BryanM wrote:
Spoiler
Sayaka's deal was just a prolonged breakdown. While the other characters wished for not quite the right thing from the monkey's paw, what Sayaka wanted and what she wished for were much further apart. Additionally note that she was in love with an asshole, which is a point of evidence heavily in favor of my "Sayaka is a huge asshole" theory.
Always got to say - in this high stress environment where everyone hates everyone else and stabs them in the back repeatedly, I still think Madoka is the craziest bitch of them all for her "why can't we all get along" policy.

Talking about high stress and crazy bitches, there's a new When The Cicadas Cry project coming this year. As a (mostly) dubtard, not getting this and Season 2 englishified are among my biggest regrets.

I used to think the dramatically more limited selection was the worst part of this lifestyle choice, but Saiki K just kills me:

I never got the appeal of dubs. Probably residual hatred from growing up during the VHS era (though some like Manga UK's Angel Cop and Urotsukidoji dubs are almost avant garde in their majesty). But mainly I think there's huge cognitive dissonance in hearing an american accent chunter on about Japanese names and stuff. Definitely an element of exoticism involved but having watched so much Japanese stuff I'd like to think I could identify bad Japanese voice acting.

The exception that proves the rule is Cowboy Bebop. English dub is great. Couldn't wait to hear the original Japanese language track but it's so lackadaisical,and undermines the hypertransnational themes of the cartoon.

But everything else is hateful and painful and unnecessary.
6t8k

Post by 6t8k »

kitten wrote:after the movie was confirmed, the future of made in abyss' anime was put into question and the previously 'confirmed' second season went back into being an uncertainty, but it is back on track.

i'm pleased, but a little bit surprised! frankly, what starts going on when they hit the 6th layer (which is presumably where the second season while pick up and i believe where the movie leaves off) seems pretty unpalatable for television, but with the success of the series i suppose it's hard not to continue it. the anime toned down a lot of what went on in the manga in the first season, but i feel like it's going to be much harder to avoid in the second.
Happy to hear.
It's not yet known whether it'll be a feature film or a series, isn't it? Maybe a film would allow for more liberties. On the other hand, a film might concentrate the plot in comparison.
null1024

Post by null1024 »

BryanM wrote:
Spoiler
The guy is a bit of an ass. Sayaka sure as hell didn't help with her constant [if unintentional] reminders that he was crippled and wouldn't play again, though.
Madoka isn't that crazy. Really, she doesn't know diddly dick, she's just a naive middle school girl. Same with Sayaka. They've been at this for less than a month.
Mami on the other hand, is actually the maniac you're describing.
Spoiler
It helps that in one of the flashback sequences, Mami is the one who ends up absolutely fucking losing it and kills everyone when she finds out the truth.
had a bunch of other stuff typed up but it's gone now

although I do need to at least address this bit from kitten
i just feel like the show is a bit lowbrow, even stupid. feels like bait for the average anime watcher to get wrapped up in the self-indulgent rules of while nothing of importance is actually intimated.
The show is about its characters. Sure, some aren't really there [Mami exists entirely to explain things and then show the viewer that shit's getting real, Homura's everything doesn't make any sense at all until the end and you just feel like things are just happening around her], and sometimes, the show tries to navel-gaze. Tries.
...but it's ultimately about how each of them end up reacting to their circumstances.

Madoka is terribly self-sacrificial because she feels useless [and it turns out that this is a perfect attribute for a freaking Messiah, but not so much for normal people -- her initial wish threw her into a life of battle for a kitten, like someone diving in front of a truck, but far more drawn out].
Homura has lost sight of her goal after her unending failure and can't relate to anyone [compounding her problems, leading to things ending up as badly as we see in the show].
Kyoko ends up learning to not be so self-serving and to trust in others.
Mami... is a plot device [she's also crazy and lonely].
Sayaka's arc [for the viewer, because Sayaka sure as fuck doesn't learn shit] is learning that sometimes, you do need to be a bit self-serving, you can't just look out for others to the point where you can't get what you want. Everything bad that happens to her stems from that. She spends all this time trying to be the noble one and a hero, but all it's doing is digging her into a hole.

All the fancy window dressing and the lot allow for a lot of interesting interpretations, kinda like how people will never stop arguing about Eva, but similarly to Eva, I don't think there's no substance underneath.
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

MX7 wrote:
BryanM wrote:
Spoiler

I never got the appeal of dubs. Probably residual hatred from growing up during the VHS era (though some like Manga UK's Angel Cop and Urotsukidoji dubs are almost avant garde in their majesty). But mainly I think there's huge cognitive dissonance in hearing an american accent chunter on about Japanese names and stuff. Definitely an element of exoticism involved but having watched so much Japanese stuff I'd like to think I could identify bad Japanese voice acting.

The exception that proves the rule is Cowboy Bebop. English dub is great. Couldn't wait to hear the original Japanese language track but it's so lackadaisical,and undermines the hypertransnational themes of the cartoon.

But everything else is hateful and painful and unnecessary.
Yeah Cowboy Bebop is a special case. I remember someone calling Watanabe a "westaboo" which I found amusing but in a way it's kinda true. To me at least it's not that most Japanese dubs are amazing (as a relative non-speaker I don't pick up on much of the nuances to know what is good and what isn't) or that many newer English dubs are inherently bad. I just prefer things in their original language most of the time. The biggest issue with US dubs imo has always been the small talent pool.

A pet peeve of mine is when they use honorifics in a dub. A couple nights ago I was really tired and went briefly with a dub as not to read but quickly switched back to Japanese audio with subs when I heard that shit.
null1024

Post by null1024 »

I'm not huge on dubs. There are a small handful I'll still bother with, and a few are just grandfathered in [eg, DBZ, almost 90% because I can't stand Goku's JP voice], but for the most part, nah.

Cyber City Oedo's dub is a thing of beauty, at least. Not too big on the UK soundtrack though.
As an aside, the first time I watched Gundam 0079 was dubbed. I gave it another go, and holy fuck, it's terrible. I was rushing for the audio select button.
Steamflogger Boss

I did basically have to watch Lupin Part IV dubbed since I wasn't going to wait for the sub release. It was livable.
kitten

Post by kitten »

6t8k wrote:Happy to hear.
It's not yet known whether it'll be a feature film or a series, isn't it? Maybe a film would allow for more liberties. On the other hand, a film might concentrate the plot in comparison.
the film has been confirmed for quite some time (hit theaters within the last week) and is going to cover The Team's confrontation with bondrewd. prior to the film, a second season had been confirmed, but it was thrown back up into jeopardy following the movie's announcement. now that the movie's hit, they've reconfirmed doing a second season. complicated! just glad it's all on track, now.
Image | Image
mycophobia

Post by mycophobia »

i dont really mind honorific usage in dubs tbh but ive heard a lot of people hate it
6t8k

Post by 6t8k »

kitten: Oh, I thought you were referring to the second season (i.e. what comes after Dawn of the Deep Soul) in your second paragraph and in turn had that in mind.

Here they say that the format of the second season it not yet known, so maybe they could have more artistic freedom with a feature film.
GaijinPunch

Post by GaijinPunch »

null1024 wrote:I'm not huge on dubs.
That's b/c you're a true anime fan. I still stick by this --- default whore in all hobbies.
RegalSin wrote:New PowerPuff Girls. They all have evil pornstart eyelashes.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Anyone watching Eizouken ni wa Te wo Dasu na! this season? It's pretty good. Another anime about anime, it's very creative though.
kitten

Post by kitten »

6t8k wrote:Here they say that the format of the second season it not yet known, so maybe they could have more artistic freedom with a feature film.
ah, geez, you're right - i had been told it was confirmed as a second season and not read the fine print.
Udderdude wrote:Anyone watching Eizouken ni wa Te wo Dasu na! this season? It's pretty good. Another anime about anime, it's very creative though.
i keep hearing really good things!
Image | Image
KAI

Post by KAI »

It is, fantastic show imo

Btw, Yuasa's Kimi to, Nami ni Noretara/Ride you Wave's BD came out a few weeks ago, go check it if you like this guy's work
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

Udderdude wrote:Anyone watching Eizouken ni wa Te wo Dasu na! this season? It's pretty good. Another anime about anime, it's very creative though.
Very entertaining indeed. And the art style is a breath of fresh air.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
Ji-L87

Post by Ji-L87 »

So I just started watching Chihayafuru the other day since it seems to come up a lot in every decade in review type episode in all the anime pods I'm following.
And now I am completely hooked. I don't even care about the card game, which is what originally kept me from trying the show way back when, it's just so well directed and just sucks me in. It looks good too but not in a flashy way. Just a very solid presentation with it's own little stylistic touches (Chihaya and Mashima especially feels very emotive, perhaps from the way their eyes are a big part of the visual style) with great music as well. Maybe it's just because I've been an emotional wreck this week but every episode has left me crying slightly in at least some capacity, but like, in a good way?

Did not expect to be so drawn into this :mrgreen: So happy at least this one is still on Crunchyroll. Originally I wanted to give Love Live! and Encouragement of Climb another go but season one and two respectively are no longer available it seems. :|
CHECKPOINT!
mycophobia

Post by mycophobia »

chihayafuru is so good. cant wait to binge the third season whenever its done
Steamflogger Boss

Pretty sure I bought the first two seasons and haven't even opened them yet.
null1024

Post by null1024 »

I was convinced to read Primal Gods in Ancient Times, and it's really good.
A girl who was set to be sacrificed ends up joining a monk and an oni on a journey involving the local gods of the lands.
Really cool story. Art is pretty decent, with some amazing drawings for each of the gods.
There's a very wild bit of time-fuckery that'll make you need to re-read the beginning again.

Only a few chapters are translated so far, but the guy's working on it plenty quick now.
Mortificator

Post by Mortificator »

Ji-L87 wrote:So I just started watching Chihayafuru the other day since it seems to come up a lot in every decade in review type episode in all the anime pods I'm following.
I first heard of it in this video and assumed it was made up.
RegalSin wrote:You can't even drive across the country Naked anymore
Steamflogger Boss

Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo.

What a god damn delight.
WelshMegalodon

Post by WelshMegalodon »

Ji-L87 wrote:Did not expect to be so drawn into this :mrgreen: So happy at least this one is still on Crunchyroll. Originally I wanted to give Love Live! and Encouragement of Climb another go but season one and two respectively are no longer available it seems. :|
The best way to enjoy Love Live! is to listen to "Snow Halation" and then play School Idol Festival. Love Live! the anime is just so painfully average... not a trainwreck, but also nowhere near deserving of the ubiquity it has. I'd choose iM@S or Wake, Up Girls! over it every single time.

Heck, even PriPara and Pretty Rhythm are more interesting than Love Live!. There, I said it.

Haven't seen enough of Aikatsu to comment.

(P.S.: "Believe!" by iRis >>> any Love Live! song that isn't Snow halation or Aozora)
Indie hipsters: "Arcades are so dead"
Finite Continues? Ain't that some shit.
RBelmont wrote:A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire