Recommended Anime/Manga?

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
Ajora

Re: Recommended Anime/Manga?

Post by Ajora »

新・キューティーハニー見て居る。だいすきです !
There was a time, in the era of great chaos, when the Earth and the moon were at war with each other. A daredevil from the moon piloted a bizarre aircraft. It was feared, and because of its shape, called... Einhander.
Raytrace

Post by Raytrace »

FinalBaton wrote: yes, GP's input on Jippang culture, and his experiences in the fan-subbing community, are priceless!
yep his LD subbing stories are class
Raytrace

Post by Raytrace »

soprano1 wrote:
Raytrace wrote:rewatching Nadesico atm - it is great - mecha art is beautiful
GEKIGANGER SREEEE!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D
I need some mecha anime. Maybe it's time to man up and watch G Gundam, long overdue.
Gekiganger is hotblooded manime :D

what mecha shows have you watched btw?
Raytrace

Post by Raytrace »

rewatching Robot Carnival atm, I like most of them, but call me not arty enough, but Sweet Jesus 'Cloud' is boring...
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

Raytrace wrote:
soprano1 wrote:
Raytrace wrote:rewatching Nadesico atm - it is great - mecha art is beautiful
GEKIGANGER SREEEE!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D
I need some mecha anime. Maybe it's time to man up and watch G Gundam, long overdue.
Gekiganger is hotblooded manime :D

Not that I was asked but...

I've finished Eva, Gundam, Zeta G, ZZ G, Macross, Macross Frontier, Godannar, Gravion, Gasaraki, Patlabor, Full Metal Panic, Blue Comet SPT Layzner, Heavy Metal L-Gaim, Linebarrel of Iron, Code Geass, Eureka 7, Escaflowne, Fafner, RahXephon, Vandread, Blue Gender, Nadesico, Genesis Climber Mospeada, Space Runway Ideon, Xabungle, Gaogaigar, King Gainer, Orguss, Fang of the Sun Dougram.

Then there are too many OAV/movie one-off things to list.

I watched way too much during my school years. But man, consider that I never finished Southern Cross, it's that bad lol. Also there are probably some I forgot.
Raytrace

Post by Raytrace »

Steamflogger Boss wrote:
Not that I was asked but...

I've finished Eva, Gundam, Zeta G, ZZ G, Macross, Macross Frontier, Godannar, Gravion, Gasaraki, Patlabor, Full Metal Panic, Blue Comet SPT Layzner, Heavy Metal L-Gaim, Linebarrel of Iron, Code Geass, Eureka 7, Escaflowne, Fafner, RahXephon, Vandread, Blue Gender, Nadesico, Genesis Climber Mospeada, Space Runway Ideon, Xabungle, Gaogaigar, King Gainer, Orguss, Fang of the Sun Dougram.

Then there are too many OAV/movie one-off things to list.

I watched way too much during my school years. But man, consider that I never finished Southern Cross, it's that bad lol. Also there are probably some I forgot.
good stuff overall - yeah I did finish [i[Southern Cross[/i] but it was easily one of the most boring anime I've ever watched. I have not watched Gravion cos it seemed a bit too pervy for me, but I've heard people saying it's good. I've never heard of Godannar :o. I've seen everything else except Full Metal Panic and Linebarrel of Iron.

Have you watched the main UC OVAs? (0080, 08th Ms, 0083)?

King Gainer is one my favourite Tomino anythings, even though it effectively doesn't really have an ending.
WelshMegalodon

Post by WelshMegalodon »

Ajora wrote:新・キューティーハニー見て居る。だいすきです !
Fを見たことがあるか?それとニューは一番良かったよ...
Last edited by WelshMegalodon on Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Indie hipsters: "Arcades are so dead"
Finite Continues? Ain't that some shit.
RBelmont wrote:A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire
Steamflogger Boss

I've seen MS Team but still do need to see the other two, which I intend to do eventually. I've seen Unicorn too, and the first 4 episodes of Origin. I'm currently kinda in a UC slow burn rewatch but I'm also bouncing around with longer shows, the last few nights for a night cap I've just watched an episode of Lupin the 3rd Part 2. Which is really good light pre-bed viewing for me.

Someone else mentioned Godannar within the last few pages I feel, but I might be hallucinating on that. It's not great but on a level of a fair chunk of the list I posted I'd say.

Gainer is wonderful, yeah. That one and several others on the list (L-Gaim, Xabungle, Ideon) I discovered because of the original Gundam and wanted to see more from Tomino.
Raytrace

Post by Raytrace »

Steamflogger Boss wrote:I've seen MS Team but still do need to see the other two, which I intend to do eventually. I've seen Unicorn too, and the first 4 episodes of Origin. I'm currently kinda in a UC slow burn rewatch but I'm also bouncing around with longer shows, the last few nights for a night cap I've just watched an episode of Lupin the 3rd Part 2. Which is really good light pre-bed viewing for me.

Someone else mentioned Godannar within the last few pages I feel, but I might be hallucinating on that. It's not great but on a level of a fair chunk of the list I posted I'd say.

Gainer is wonderful, yeah. That one and several others on the list (L-Gaim, Xabungle, Ideon) I discovered because of the original Gundam and wanted to see more from Tomino.
yeah Xabungle and Gainer are very similar - I think even though sometimes his pacing (and exposition (or lack of it) is all over the place, Tomino does really brilliant atmospheric world-building imo.

MS Team is good though I wish it didn't have the overpowered mobile armour and the last section (even though it was good for what it was), as I preferred the psuedo Vietnam movie 'gritty' feel up till then. As an aside, I wish Sunrise would make an anime (possibly a one shot OVA) of UC Hard Graph, it's my favourite Gundam manga.

0080 is absolutely incredible

0083 isnt completely amazing story wise, although as a Zeonic man I do thinkg Gato is a badass, but the art is amazing, especially the mecha with it's very dark shaded style.

I've done the full, full UC watch twice now and almost completing my third, which my daughter is going through with me :p

Victory Gundam is great, but so kinda melancholic and depressing, also all the mecha seemed to be missing one pass of shading for the most part. It would be fine if it seemed intentional or by design/stylistic (like some late ear Gainax/Trigger flat type stuff), but it doesn't the shape and linework of the mechas are 'realistic' and they just look like they're missing shading.

Turn A is incredible and although I only kinda liked it on first watch, I now love G-Reco, though most people kinda hate it.

https://myanimelist.net/animelist/r4ytr ... =1&order=0
Vludi

Post by Vludi »

Raytrace wrote:rewatching Robot Carnival atm, I like most of them, but call me not arty enough, but Sweet Jesus 'Cloud' is boring...
What's your favorite? I think I like the Frankenstein one the most, very expressive animation. Presence was interesting as well but kinda weird, a great idea that could've been executed better.
Raytrace

Post by Raytrace »

Vludi wrote:
Raytrace wrote:rewatching Robot Carnival atm, I like most of them, but call me not arty enough, but Sweet Jesus 'Cloud' is boring...
What's your favorite? I think I like the Frankenstein one the most, very expressive animation. Presence was interesting as well but kinda weird, a great idea that could've been executed better.
Frankenstein was very very impressive, but my favourites were ''Deprive' (because I love that classic 70s/early 80s mecha look), and I liked 'Presence'a lot, but I think the ending part could have been done in some more intriguing type of way.

next up: rewatches of

Memories

Neo Tokyo
Ajora

Post by Ajora »

WelshMegalodon wrote:
Ajora wrote:新・キューティーハニー見て居る。だいすきです !
Fを見たことがあるか?それとニューは一番良かったよ...
Jitsu wa kana o kaku kopii/peisuto de dake dekimasu^_^;; Soreni chotto kanji o yomu dake dekimasu. Nihongo heta de gomennasai. Renshuu ga kansha shite iru.

I haven't seen Cutie Honey Flash. My introduction to the series was the live action movie (which I watched a week ago and absolutely loved), so I figured Shin Cutie Honey felt like a good point to work my way from. Damn good series, I must say.
There was a time, in the era of great chaos, when the Earth and the moon were at war with each other. A daredevil from the moon piloted a bizarre aircraft. It was feared, and because of its shape, called... Einhander.
WelshMegalodon

Post by WelshMegalodon »

I'm honestly pretty rusty on the minuscule amount of Japanese I know myself, so you're fine. And for some reason I thought you were referring to Re: Cutey Honey in your last post instead of Shin (which I misremembered as also having been called 'New Cutey Honey' in Japan). In any case, the fact that we both endorse Shin means we're on the same page.
Indie hipsters: "Arcades are so dead"
Finite Continues? Ain't that some shit.
RBelmont wrote:A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire
Steamflogger Boss

Shopping Arcade <3

I recently got the BD of that Kenshin OVA, looks absolutely wonderful. Absolute meat grinder though.
M.Knight

Post by M.Knight »

Raytrace wrote:Victory Gundam is great, but so kinda melancholic and depressing
I wouldn't be surprised if my reaction to it is much less common than yours, but I actually found Victory Gundam extremely hilarous.
While the early episodes have a serious mood, I think it quickly devolves into way too goofy things for me to feel bad about the horrible stuff that is supposed to happen. It's completely unintended but the events and atmosphere feel so over-the-top that they end up very funny to me.
In a way, it's like a dark ZZ Gundam (and I love ZZ Gundam's humor)
Spoiler
-It's hard to feel bad for the Shrike team members as they were made to die in ironic/stupid/hilarous ways. The one on the take-off ramp was so logical given how she put herself at the mercy of any random enemy soldier, the one during the Zanscare queen's capture that is pointless given how the mission fails a few seconds later, the one who amusingly subverts the last-second bomb deactivation cliché by failing and appearing as naked for some reason right before dying, and the last one during the last battle that mistakes Katejina for an ally, gets out of safety and cover, rushes near her and immediatly gets smacked down.

-Oliver crashing his ship into the wheels of a battleship was supposed to be a heroic sacrifice or something but it was just so useless

-Speaking of the battleships, man are their designs so cheesy and cool and funny at the same time. It's a cruiser...but with motorcycle wheels! And we have mechas in giant motorcycle wheels too! Motorcycles everywhere! One of the bad guys even rode a floating motorcycle when he died while a flashback montage played even though we don't really care about him.

-All the V-Gundam boot launching.

-Uso carrying the helmet his mom wore before being killed seemed symbolic and stuff until you realize her cut-off head is still inside and it grosses out the other crew members. That bait-and-switch was so unexpected I couldn't help but laugh. And even the death itself is ridiculously corny. I mean, getting crushed by a cruiser-motorcycle hybrid?

-Odello and Warren having fun during the take-off into space by putting pants on Marbet's head, having her pretend to be a hostage taker and pointing a gun while taking pictures. Their weird sense of humour is definitely appreciated!

-The ugly insect-like mecha that grabs the V-Gundam and repeatedly kicks it in the crotch

-Oliver's absurd prison-escape plan of getting married to distract the guards and somehow use that to escape

-The episode where they use a micro-wave beam on an enemy ship to force its crew to go to the toilet.

-Insert songs almost never playing in actually important moments

-The plan to send bikini bazooka girls to fight Uso, which predictably fails.

-You can play a drinking game based on how many times Shakti gets kidnapped, is freed and then swears that THIS time, she'll be able to convince Cronicle to stop the war so she gets kidnapped again on purpose.

-Cronicle dying so suddenly and unceremonously during the final battle and quickly getting cut by the intermission is hilarously disrespectful.

-And, oh man, the bath "interrogation" scene. That one is legendary. When you see the bath you first think Uso is going to be tortured or drowned but then Lupe comes in...naked. And gets in the bath too. WTF. :lol:
Uso managing to escape by biting on her boob and then having the guards ask him to surrender by promising him to give his underwear back while he is completely naked is the very opposite of depressing. And I love how many times they refer to that event again in the rest of the series.
RegalSin wrote: I think I have downloaded so much I am bored with downloading. No really I bored with downloading stuff I might consider moving to Canada or the pacific.
Remote Weapon GunFencer - My shmup project
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

Raytrace wrote:Gekiganger is hotblooded manime :D

Sorry, time zones and work are a bitch. The simple answer is a lot, had too much free time from 2006 to around 2010 or so. I remember the great scandal of Gurren Lagann's episode 4 bullshit, that led to the rest of the series being animated by the people that later formed Studio Trigger.
ChurchOfSolipsism wrote:I'll make sure I'll download it illegally one day...
Raytrace

Post by Raytrace »

M.Knight wrote:
Raytrace wrote:Victory Gundam is great, but so kinda melancholic and depressing
I wouldn't be surprised if my reaction to it is much less common than yours, but I actually found Victory Gundam extremely hilarous.
While the early episodes have a serious mood, I think it quickly devolves into way too goofy things for me to feel bad about the horrible stuff that is supposed to happen. It's completely unintended but the events and atmosphere feel so over-the-top that they end up very funny to me.
In a way, it's like a dark ZZ Gundam (and I love ZZ Gundam's humor)
yeah when you list off all that stuff it is fairly funny I suppose :D
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

That stuff in Victory Gundam sounds like the craziness that often happens in some of those Sentai shows.
null1024

Post by null1024 »

Victory Gundam is a real trip. I'd put it off for ages thinking it was going to be a depressing slog from what I'd heard before seeing it.
Man, fuck that -- Tomino was off his meds making it, but you couldn't help but laugh at how goofy it was.
I should really go re-watch it.

Still haven't finished Macross 7 though [doesn't help that the pacing is kinda awful -- I still enjoy the show quite a bit, but holy ass, it REALLY didn't need to be a 49 episode series]. Bunch of stuff on my "was watching/reading and then stopped for no reason" list that I should really get through.
Like, Devilman Lady. Really should finish reading that, shit was intense.
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
Steamflogger Boss

Frontier >>>> 7.
KAI

Post by KAI »

Kaguya-sama has been giving me some good laughts, watch it, it's fucking hilarious.
Steamflogger Boss

Kishin Corps OAV

Non-Nazi robots take on Nazi Robots + aliens. Also children are involved. As absurd as it sounds but honestly not terrible. People that get upset by swastikas should stay away as there are a lot in this anime.

Bounty Dog OAV

Even CPM/Manga knew this was bad. Enough said... But seriously this is legit one of the worst anime ever made, don't watch it.
M.Knight

Post by M.Knight »

I am kinda curious to know what were the circumstances behind Victory Gundam's weirdness. It sounds like a lot of stuff must have been going on behind the scenes to create something as wacky as it. I see online mentions of Tomino being depressed and also angry at the execs forcing some stuff in the series but I haven't yet found any interview or some other more official source backing that kind of claims.
null1024 wrote: Still haven't finished Macross 7 though [doesn't help that the pacing is kinda awful -- I still enjoy the show quite a bit, but holy ass, it REALLY didn't need to be a 49 episode series
It's a very repetitive and padded series, but the music is so good and Basara is such an entertaining lead that I didn't mind it that much in the end. Still, the amount of uneeded fat is easily the series' biggest flaw.
If you still have some patience left after watching the series, I suggest taking a look at the movie (Ginga ga Ore wo Yondeiru!) as well as the Dynamite OVA to have examples of more focused and streamlined Macross 7 content.
RegalSin wrote: I think I have downloaded so much I am bored with downloading. No really I bored with downloading stuff I might consider moving to Canada or the pacific.
Remote Weapon GunFencer - My shmup project
Raytrace

Post by Raytrace »

Steamflogger Boss wrote:Kishin Corps OAV

Non-Nazi robots take on Nazi Robots + aliens. Also children are involved. As absurd as it sounds but honestly not terrible. People that get upset by swastikas should stay away as there are a lot in this anime.

Bounty Dog OAV

Even CPM/Manga knew this was bad. Enough said... But seriously this is legit one of the worst anime ever made, don't watch it.
Kishin Corps is brilliant - I love all the dials and stuff
Raytrace

Post by Raytrace »

M.Knight wrote:I am kinda curious to know what were the circumstances behind Victory Gundam's weirdness. It sounds like a lot of stuff must have been going on behind the scenes to create something as wacky as it. I see online mentions of Tomino being depressed and also angry at the execs forcing some stuff in the series but I haven't yet found any interview or some other more official source backing that kind of claims.
null1024 wrote: Still haven't finished Macross 7 though [doesn't help that the pacing is kinda awful -- I still enjoy the show quite a bit, but holy ass, it REALLY didn't need to be a 49 episode series
It's a very repetitive and padded series, but the music is so good and Basara is such an entertaining lead that I didn't mind it that much in the end. Still, the amount of uneeded fat is easily the series' biggest flaw.
If you still have some patience left after watching the series, I suggest taking a look at the movie (Ginga ga Ore wo Yondeiru!) as well as the Dynamite OVA to have examples of more focused and streamlined Macross 7 content.
I adore 7, but yeah it is kinda repetitive, the other stuff and especially the Meltradi girl in the mountains one are amazing

FIRE!
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

Started watching G Gundam this week. It's fucking great.
Spoiler
HOTBLOODED AS FUCK! :o
ChurchOfSolipsism wrote:I'll make sure I'll download it illegally one day...
Steamflogger Boss

Omg that pic is amazing, love it.
Weak Boson

Post by Weak Boson »

G Gundam is awesome ! It's been ages since I rewatched it but I remember it being a treat even the second time around :D

EDIT: I just watched a random episode (08, Revenge of the Space Police) and 1) it was awesome and 2) I forgot how much I loved the dub wherein any reference to killing and death was replaced with hilariously clunky phrases like "you mean to say that this assassin was here to... end someone's life ????"
Ajora

Post by Ajora »

Season 3 of Sailor Moon Crystal is easily the best season so far, but Chibiusa brings the whole thing down a bit. Ironic how she yelled at Usagi for acting like a child, even though Chibiusa is 900 years old and acts like she's 5. Her Electra complex is downright creepy. This is easily one of the most purely unlikable fictional characters I've ever seen.

Eh, enough negativity. I really liked the first two seasons, but I can understand the reasons as to why fans were lukewarm towards them. The writing, pacing, comedy, editing, action, direction, animation, depth, pretty much everything has noticeably improved in season 3. Sailor Moon fans who wrote off Sailor Moon Crystal without having watched the Death Busters story arc have no idea what they're missing. This is pretty damn incredible.

edit: More episodes in, and Chibiusa isn't anywhere as annoying as she was in the previous season. She's still irritating at times, but for the most part, she's been tolerable. 
Last edited by Ajora on Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

Mega Zone 23 reboot in the works.

The plot should be based on the first part (I do not remember there being more than 1 part...) and should be 'close to the original vision'.

I wonder how they will keep the (indirect) social commentary sub-text, to be fair.
Chomsky, Buckminster Fuller, Yunus and Glass would have played Battle Garegga, for sure.