Recommended Anime/Manga?

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
Udderdude

Re: Recommended Anime/Manga?

Post by Udderdude »

OmegaFlareX wrote:
null1024 wrote:Urusei Yatsura 2022 is really pretty.
How are you watching these? I can't seem to find a streaming service for it (via JustWatch). Fansubs?
It's on HIDIVE. https://www.hidive.com/tv/urusei-yatsura
OmegaFlareX

Post by OmegaFlareX »

Ah, understood. The fact that it's not showing up on JustWatch despite being out for a month now means JW is failing at its job of streamer platform aggregate. I'll have to look around for a new one.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

I use https://www.livechart.me/ to keep track of things.
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

Last week-ish mostly rewatches. I don't even remember if I finished Claymore the first time it's been so long.

Haruhi (completely finished rewatch)
Konosuba season 1 finished
Some K-On!! randomly
Rose of Versailles ep 11-20
Claymore ep 1-6
null1024

Post by null1024 »

I am watching Heybot right now and I am being dealt direct psychic damage. I was told that it was insane, and I was not adequately prepared.
It's ostensibly a kids show [like, for the single-digit age demographic that still gets toys instead of video games, since it IS supposed to be a toy commercial, and occasionally spends time explaining how the toy works], but it is like 40% random/gross-out humor for the kiddos, 20% lol screw as in "screw uwu" jokes [which you'd think weren't intentional, then the show doubles down and couples with a visual to make sure you know that it absolutely was in fact making a sex joke that's supposed to fly over the heads of the kids], 30% pop culture references [maybe more honestly, I know a bunch will absolutely fly over my head since I'm not a 40 year old Japanese guy], and maybe 10% actually a kids show lol.

The amount of "how did this get by the censors" is staggering, especially given the timeslot this aired in [think of it this way: it's a Sunday morning cartoon, airing on the same channel as and not too far removed temporally from Precure].
It's remarkably funny, but like, again, psychic damage.
It's like the kind of show I'd have grown up with in terms of the humor, but turned up to twenty on a ten point scale and far beyond the point where my family would have let me watch it. :lol:
[edit] I'm a bit further in, and a lot of the wink wink nudge nudge jokes got turned down, although they aren't gone. Also, either I'm becoming desensitized, or it got a little less obnoxiously wacky.

I also started Hisone to Masao-tan. It's pretty interesting, even if the premise is, kind of absurd [MC girl who has no filter on what she says ends up landing a seat as a pilot for a transforming dragon creature that is piloted by being eaten by it and controlling it from its innards]. 3 episodes in now. I feel like there's social commentary in the various situations that is largely flying clean over my head.

Akiba Maid War is less turboviolent than it seemed like it'd be at the start and a lot goofier, but it's still a show about meido cafe girls getting stuck doing underground crime and murder shit. Still enjoying it a bunch.
OmegaFlareX wrote:
null1024 wrote:Urusei Yatsura 2022 is really pretty.
How are you watching these? I can't seem to find a streaming service for it (via JustWatch). Fansubs?
I just end up watching fansubs for most shows.
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

null1024 wrote:Hisone to Masao-tan
I remember watching this one as it was airing. Definitely a weird one, but good and interesting.

I watched the Yuru Camp movie. It's a bit different from the TV series as they're all grown up and have jobs .. but it still manages to capture a lot of the same feeling.
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

Been checking out the 2022 Blu ray disc of "Powered Armor Dorvack" anime series that stretches out to a whopping 36 episodes long stint that was recently released through Discotek for the first time officially for the North American market and sold through the Right Stuf site (as of May 2022).

You might recall the famous G1 Transformer Deluxe Autobots of Roadbuster & Whirl that sold at retail stateside back in 1985 (were known by their original Dorvack mecha names of Mugen Caliber and Gazette Overlon respectively -- the 3rd Variable Vehicle Tulcas tank mecha wasn't produced as an actual Transformer toy though but would've been very cool, nevertheless). Famous Japanese toy maker Takatoku Toys produced some slick Dorvack "Varible Vehicle" themed toys that featured a combination of both die-cast metal & plastic parts -- very high quality mecha toys that command some serious $$$/yen on the secondary collector's market nowadays. They also produced the 1/55th scale Macross Valkyrie toys + various Super Dimensional Century Orguss toys as well (of course, Bandai bought Takatoku Toys and used their original molds to make more Macross toys including the the famous G1 Transformer of Jetfire that was sold/distributed by Hasbro in the USA in 1985).

Japanese plastic model manufacturer, Gunze Sangyo, also made some cool Dorvack plastic models kits (including some kits that could be further enhanced with optional incandescent-based "Mini Wheat" light bulbs & a pair of 'AA' batteries for extra realism -- all this was released during 1984 for the Japanese market).

During the American Transformer craze/fad of 1984-1986, a massive glut of NOS Dorvack toys & plastic model kits were imported to the USA back in 1985 (despite the Dorvack anime was never properly shown on American TV airwaves during that particular point in time). So finally 37 years later, Dorvack anime series is released in the USA...better later than never, right?

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

Taking a peek at what the Gantz team are up to, seems like they're having a better time with the Street Fighter statues than the OG crew did. Ah, I'm sure it'll all go to shit soon as it is wont to do.

That reminded me I haven't given Gigant a change yet, which is certainly chock full of degeneracy.

The Spiral Insanity anime is taking another year or two. By the time it's out, I might have forgotten enough about it that it might seem new and fresh. The ending is technically the same as the Dark Tower series, but unlike the Dark Tower Uzumaki is cool and good and manages a strong landing, despite some wonky episodes that didn't work so well.
Steamflogger Boss

I've been absolutely churning through well I guess you'd call it my anime backlog? Idk I find that term stupid. So uh I've been watching a lot lately.

Mostly too much to list but some stand outs have been Fate/Zero, Armored Trooper Votoms and City Hunter 2.
BIL

Post by BIL »

BryanM wrote:Taking a peek at what the Gantz team are up to, seems like they're having a better time with the Street Fighter statues than the OG crew did. Ah, I'm sure it'll all go to shit soon as it is wont to do.
Wait WTF, there's a new ongoing Gantz manga? OMFG that sounds like something I'll read in several years' time once it's done. :cool:

What a kawaii Daily Dosey-chan! :o Thanks Doc.
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

Oif, it's his third series in the franchise, in case you missed Girls Edition.

I dunno what comes after Edo Edition. I hope it's cyberpunk with 300% more psychics than usual.

.... I'm still baffled at Tae-chan making it through. Also the gods doing a 180 and admitting souls exist right after they explained to the humans that everyone is a toaster. When did it turn into a hollywood movie? Where did all the nihilism go?

Can't even remember all the times Tae should have ate it, but scurried away fine and dandy. No tension whatsoever during those scenes: if she escaped 100% certain death four or five times, why would she die on the sixth? If she did, what would have been the point of the first five times, besides wasting everyone's time? Blatant immersion-breaking plot armor. Such creator trolling has been reserved for things like endless eight and the endless cavalry battle...
BIL

Post by BIL »

Oh god, that sounds fuckin awful :O

TBH it's been long enough, and I binged hard enough, that I can't recall if I read the Osaka spinoff manga. Lots of fond memories of the main story though. A recurring favourite is near the end, when those poor kidnapped souls, butt-naked and fleeing alien horrors, rally around "old man" ("What the fuck? I'm only twenty-three!"). Encountering an alien cephalapod thing who's just chilling like Image, old man reluctantly picks up and body-slams the poor varmint to a hearty rallying cry. Then we get a glimpse of some godawful thing in the shadows behind them - clearly the pokeyman's mom! - and *CUT* It's implied later on, very obliquely, that yep, they all died hideously. 3;

Lots of weird, unhappy bits of xenoterror like that. Oh fuck, anyway.

Do any of the spinoffs reveal what happened to Butter Dog? Another authentic bit of Sad Terror was his just disappearing one day. Poor bastard was a survivor of sexual abuse, I wanted to see him get another shot at life. God knows how he went out, oof. Then again maybe he just got hit by a car. And then again, I suppose maybe he just really liked eating pussy. :o
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Isekai Ojisan STILL HASN'T FINISHED AIRING. This production has been managed almost as bad as Sega was in the mid 90's. Almost.
mycophobia

Post by mycophobia »

BIL wrote: Image
lol
BIL

Post by BIL »

Kawaii desu neee~ ^O^

Ah, fuck. tfw DUTTEH MEMES become warmly nostalgic. Goatse effect. 3;

BryanM

Post by BryanM »

For today's masterpiece I present

BIL

Post by BIL »

The strongest motherfucker, lmao. I remember that tagline from the Jaws movie poster!
Steamflogger Boss

BryanM wrote:For today's masterpiece I present
Fantastic. Edit: LOOK AT THESE OTHER PANELS, yeah I gotta check this out: https://isekai.fandom.com/wiki/Isekai_K ... _Same4.jpg

I've got a real banger queued up for today. Urotsukidoji. :lol:
Steven

Post by Steven »

Same! Same! Same! indeed...
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Watch Revenger this season.
Steamflogger Boss

Udderdude wrote:Watch Revenger this season.
I've been roped back in to some seasonal watching and these are ones I am tracking...

Ningen Fushin: Adventurers Who Don't Believe in Humanity Will Save the World
Tomo-chan is a Girl
The Ice Guy And His Cool Female Colleague
Revenger
Spy Classroom
The Magical Revolution of the Reincarnated Princess and the Genius Young Lady
Handyman Saitou in Another World
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

First episode of Hikari no Ou just aired, and it's .. got an interesting premise to say the least. Post-apocalyptic spontaneous human combustion. Based on a novel, so I doubt it's going to devolve into the usual silliness. Picked up. lol
Steamflogger Boss wrote:Tomo-chan is a Girl
The Magical Revolution of the Reincarnated Princess and the Genius Young Lady
These are ones I'm watching too. I already read some of the manga of the former. I don't know how the latter will turn out, might be interesting or I might drop it if it starts getting stupid.
Steamflogger Boss

Some older stuff I watched recently.

Magi Labyrinth of Magic Ep 16-20
City Hunter 91 Ep 3-7
Record of Grancrest War Ep 18-20

I like to rotate stuff typically. Binging has become rarer for me these days.
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

Tomo's felt like an entire lifetime since it came out. I was thinking ~2012, and wouldn't have been shocked if it were ~2009 or even ~2007. Was shocked wikipedia said it came out in 2015, as that really really doesn't feel right...

... I like to root for the franchises that aren't obviously destined to get an animation. Magical Explorer? Pfft, who cares. Isekai Memorial? Now that'd be a bit surprising to see rise through the ranks...

Now the stuff that has zero percent chance is definitely the most interesting. If everything that goes mainstream has to fit inside a box, don't be surprised when you open the box, that you find there was a box in there all along.
Steamflogger Boss

Recently watched stuff.

The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya

Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic Ep 21-25

City Hunter 91 Ep 8-13

Sgt Frog ep 41-46

Black Clover ep 1-10
null1024

Post by null1024 »

Kind of sort of haven't been watching much of anything due to real life in the way [leaving pretty much everything I last posted about unfinished], but I read through the original manga run of Yu-Gi-Oh, before the card game became the major focus of things. It shows up pretty early on, but there are a lot of different games played, and Takahashi clearly had a lot of fun coming up with game ideas here, even if some things are a bit baffling regarding the actual gameplay in them.
Spoiler
like, they're playing Duel Monsters and Kaiba summons three Blue Eyes at once and the way it's written, it's like he just took all three turns at once without Yugi's grandpa getting to play lol
It's really fun. Has this great contrast of being set in a world full of dark magic and particularly wicked people [special mention goes to Kaiba building a death themepark known as DEATH-T just so he can defeat Yugi while also killing him for his revenge lmao] while ultimately being a story that relentlessly pushes a message of friendship and justice and fair play and having fun with your friends playing games.
The first handful of chapters are a bit basic and rough, but pretty much as soon chapters stop being entirely self-contained, things get way better and don't really stop.

[EDIT]
I started reading what comes after and... eh.
Yugi's duel against Pegasus on the videotape was pretty dramatic and fun, but then like, we get to Duelist Kingdom and it kind of just drags, and the writing is bogged down by the additional rules. It's a real shame. I dunno if I want to muddle through this. There's a clear shift from focusing on characters battling it out and putting themselves as people against each other, with the game being played being a means to that end, to the game itself starting to take more front-and-center focus away from the character of the... well, characters.
It's not crippling yet, but it is a massive step back.
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
Steamflogger Boss

BryanM

Post by BryanM »

Dang, heard about Ash retiring from a Solid jj post. Feels kinda weird man.

Maybe he'll finally have the time to go back and pick up that pidgeot.

4 series in, and Overlord finally gets some ok CGI. It's always cute how they tone things down for normie consumption, like the little moment of the group of chums all becoming more chummy and going on a "diet" together.

On that note, are there any series where the protagonist is a horror movie monster? Parasyte manga was pretty ok besides it's anti-climax ending (poochie went back to his home planet) and the hero being a generic shonen protagonist.
sky-13

Post by sky-13 »

Recently finished the Irresponsible Captain Tylor and I must say for a bit of a rip on Gundam/Macross I didn’t expect to be charmed by the characters and antics of the crew so much.

1993, 26 episodes.
WARNING: no refuge
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

Captain Tylor is a classic. Every bit as inspired by Star Trek and Starship Troopers as it was by Macross. The show reminds me the most of old short stories I read when I was a kid.

In particular, this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Space-Dreadnough ... 044177735X

"Shadow on the Stars," by Algis Budrys, is about an improbable and unconventional genius who successfully wages intergalactic war using methods that fly in the face of conventional military principles. Captain Tylor feels like an anime-ized follow-up.