shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:46 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8583 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 283, 284, 285, 286, 287
 Post subject: Re: Recommended Anime/Manga?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:01 am 

Just watched the Made in Abyss movie, this is pretty much my reaction.

https://tonights-episode.tumblr.com/pos ... -disguised

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:25 pm 

I just felt like mentioning It's Time to Go to His Stomach, OK? exists. Even if they're only good for a short while, horror does seem to have a much higher average quality than the mass market stuff. There's probably a ton of decent seinen series out there that don't get any exposure.

BryanM wrote:
Going to watch the first episode of Zvezda

Trash, garbage. My expectations are set to the surface of the floor, and somehow they find ways to still disappoint me.

Quote:
I will never stop being mad about how it went from "manga of the decade" material to "it's trash, give up" so quickly.

Heh heh. The easiest thing in the world is to come up with cool ideas. The hardest thing in the world is creating characters with actual depth that appeal to a broad number of people.

The guy who writes Worth The Candle has written a book's worth of background material to his book as part of his production process. Most manga authors just pull things out of their ass as they go. They expect 95% of their work to be cancelled, so emotional attachment is an idiot's game. And if they do get syndicated (like say, Murata Punch Man) they have literally no time to write or plan things out. If a competent writer like One can't handle the time pressure, what chance does someone who spent all their skill points on drawing things well have?

And that's why all manga is The Cavalry Battle.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:31 am 

BryanM wrote:
Quote:
I will never stop being mad about how it went from "manga of the decade" material to "it's trash, give up" so quickly.

Heh heh. The easiest thing in the world is to come up with cool ideas. The hardest thing in the world is creating characters with actual depth that appeal to a broad number of people.

The guy who writes Worth The Candle has written a book's worth of background material to his book as part of his production process. Most manga authors just pull things out of their ass as they go. They expect 95% of their work to be cancelled, so emotional attachment is an idiot's game. And if they do get syndicated (like say, Murata Punch Man) they have literally no time to write or plan things out. If a competent writer like One can't handle the time pressure, what chance does someone who spent all their skill points on drawing things well have?

And that's why all manga is The Cavalry Battle.

It's just so rough. Like, when Legosi left school, it totally jumps the shark [and I stopped reading for a while because it was really, REALLY kinda stupid], but gets a grip for a while after and if you accept that it's a bit dumb, it's still consistently entertaining and has fun shocking the reader every few chapters. It's like clockwork how it keeps trying to pull something crazy out of a hat, but it's still entertaining.

Then, after Melon shows up, it becomes completely pants-on head stupid and it never recovers. It's not immediately terrible, but it's clear that Paru didn't really know what to write after that point. His introduction and trying to keep the rest of the plot at a similarly over-the-top level really wrecked everything. Shifting to more of an action series really didn't help either.

I guess "quickly" was the wrong word, it's more like "out of nowhere". It was good, right up until it wasn't. There were a bunch of other plot points to follow, but this comes out of the blue and takes everything down with it.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8583 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 283, 284, 285, 286, 287