shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:06 am View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8407 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 277, 278, 279, 280, 281
 Post subject: Re: Recommended Anime/Manga?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:10 am 

Xyga wrote:
Ghegs wrote:
drauch wrote:
Yeah, Votoms is awesome. Highly underrated and very mature, often overshadowed by Gundam fare. Not crapping on that stuff, which I like, but Votoms feels way more practical. I didn't upgrade my old DVDs since this was just an SD set, sadly, but cool it's at least back in print--at least I assume, but this Rightstuf closeout has got me all goobered! I think Ghegs here is also a fan if I recall.

Also a cool OVA in the same universe, Armored Hunter Mellowlink, which is worth tracking down.

Votoms is indeed awesome, even if the ending is kind of...not what I was hoping for, let's say.

I've started watching the anime once and quickly got turned off by the darkness and bleakness, not judging the quality here it looked quite competent and I've heard only praise, but I wasn't in the mood for such a depressing tone. :oops:

Dunno if it's worth trying again, I think I've noticed there's a maybe un-named subcategory of military/war/mecha manga that instead of epic and heroes emphasizes on war horrors and drama, and not just a bit but as the main 'attraction'. Not really my taste.
If Votom's like that I'd rather not return to it even if it's good.

Ohshi that sounds like mah jam :o (not to be contrarian or anything :mrgreen:)

Always liked the look of VOTOMS' mecha designs from the PS2 game, which I hear is one of those Licensed Games That Don't Suck™. Looked like the sort of brutal machinery you could get a loose sleeve caught in if you don't adhere to workplace safety protocol, naw mean.

Online Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:28 pm 

Yeah, Votoms is a lot like a mech sidescroller in how it handles. There's actual rules to its machinery; it doesn't just zip back and forth in space like in Gundam. It's actually got little boosters to accelerate and treads to make it speed along the ground. Feels like playing Metal Warriors or [insert mech sidescroller].

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:12 am 

Da spoils

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:47 pm 

Nice! didn't realize three 9 was out on blu-ray. Reiji Matsumoto Ownz!!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:26 pm 

scrilla4rella wrote:
Nice! didn't realize three 9 was out on blu-ray. Reiji Matsumoto Ownz!!

Eventually it all will be thankfully.

There are some major supply issues right now and it is impacting Discotek so I went ahead and tossed in Adieu and the first movie onto a pre-order of Giant Robo and the Galaxy Express 999 TV series Part 1 BD. Still waiting on the first movie to get back in stock. They managed to get one of the back-ordered Project A-kos back in so I'm hopeful. Galaxy Express 999 Eternal Fantasy is coming to BD as well. I have that in a pre-order with Bobobo. Discotek basically has a direct line to my bank account.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:36 pm 

I can wholeheartedly endorse Golden Kamuy, Dungeon Meshi and Kingdom.

Golden Kamuy is one of the best manga to have come out in the last two years, up there with things like Vinland Saga. The sheer level of research, of action, of sheer madness that you find on some of the pages, is really one of a kind.

Dungeon meshi is a constant well of creativity in how it presents its world, its monsters, and the characters are an endearing bunch.

Kingdom excels in term of sheer scale. To the point that I find I need to read it by chunks of the chapter instead of the chapter to chapter because it needs chapters to fully appreciate situations, battles, and plots as they unfold. Characters are bigger than life, and yet at times utterly grounded. Battles involves tens of thousands and troops. It's sprawling and big.

On a lighter note, you could also add Tomo-Chan wa Onnanoko! which is a page by page updating manga about two young people who are too dumb to recognize the feelings they have for one another.

Vinland Saga and Otoyomegatari are also two wonderful historical manga still currently ongoing if you haven't read them already.

Last edited by bestazy on Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:04 am 

I liked Tomo. In a similar vein in the genre of cute stupid shit, Rokudou no Onna-tachi is better than you'd expect.

Which brings to mind due to it also being in the genre of highschool delinquents - the pre-internet OVA Hana no Asuka Gumi 2. Since it came out before the internet to a very limited print run, it had zero screenclips of it available. A lost artifact.
__

When I started watching episodes of the Attic Gamer, I ended up having to slow down the videos to be able to read and watch it at the same time. It's the only media I've ever had to do this for - absorbing content at 150% speed these days isn't uncommon.

I've never really thought about it outside of music videos, but most videos only focus on one input stream at a time, don't they? If there's action on the screen, there's no talking. If there's talking, there's no action.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8407 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 277, 278, 279, 280, 281