Recommended Anime/Manga?

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
Durandal

Re: Recommended Anime/Manga?

Post by Durandal »

moozooh wrote: Kotetsujou no Kabaneri. Disappointment of the season, anyone? Started watching it because the first episode promised an entertaining mix of Shingeki no Kyojin and Snowpiercer (the recent-ish action movie with Chris Evans). It went pretty great for the first 2.5 episodes and then demonstrated complete and utter creative bankruptcy (the amount of shameless copying and riding on popular cliche is astounding)... as well as actual bankruptcy—with lots of padding, static scenes, actual panned static frames instead of animated action, and other kinds of garbage that suggest the entire show's budget was spent on the first three episodes. In the end it's neither as well-written and internally consistent as SnK nor as fun and unrelenting as Snowpiercer. I'm going to finish this, but if you ever see somebody ragging on this show, be sure that it deserves every last word of criticism. This is bad, and the writers should be ashamed about creating something so bad.
I regret ever picking this as the possible AOTY candidate some previous pages ago.
This show is stupid.
This show is so so fucking stupid, yet I can only keep watching this trainwreck out of morbid curiosity to see how more stupid it's going to get. Somehow it managed to outstupid even SnK.

I just wanted a simple anime about survivors in a train surviving a zombie apocalypse, but nooooooo, we have to raise the stakes! We need to have revenge plots and excuses for cool action sequences! We need to have superhumans and GIANT zombies! We need to have all kinds of cool fucking steampunk technology like MOTORCYCLES AND GATLING GUNS. None of it even matters when half of all the plot points are just discarded like trash and pushed into the background. Trains? The Kabane? Technology? The survivors? The whole kabaneri shtick? FUCK IT. FUCK IT ALL. After the first episodes, the show pulls a Resident Evil and just goes nuts.

The worst offender is Bieber the Villain, some ponce with funny hair who decides all humans should live in the woods with the zombies because his dad was an inexplicable prick to him when he was a kid, even though the hypocritical douche spends most of his time in an armored train conducting all kinds of highly evil experiments. He just wants to burn everything down because fuck it, and has absolutely no plan what to do afterwards. Yet somehow, he still has a legion of loyal followers who do not question undertaking such an apocalyptic plan as they most likely do not care about their families or their own well-being. Biba is such a charismatic guy that he can even convince some fuckwads to ruin humanity's chances at survival.

The side characters get next to no development, Ikoma's heroics are only interesting to watch in the first few episodes, and Mumei easily steals this season's Least Foresightful Female Anime Character Award. After that it's just cliché after cliché after cliché. It devolves into a total carnagefest where you won't be rooting for anyone.

If you are planning on watching this, don't. There are Hollywood blockbusters out there which treat their audience with more respect.
Xyga wrote:
chum wrote:the thing is that we actually go way back and have known each other on multiple websites, first clashing in a Naruto forum.
Liar. I've known you only from latexmachomen.com and pantysniffers.org forums.
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

I'm... really confused about how you fuck up a zombie thing. As long as each episode contains at least 4 to 6 minutes of blood and tits, how do you fail? Besides redundancy, like how Shiki repeats the same exact thing over and over 200 times.

Grimgar's absurdly decompressed nature was refreshing for a change for a bit. Very soothing for bedtime. 8 episodes for the first book, 4 for the second... and yet with more than enough time to include every single scene in its entirety, they still trimmed things out. Like the part where Ranta's demon (which is established to be completely useless) saves his life, to everyone's shock.

Gesellschaft Blume has moved into full body horror gorn territory in recent issues and really who can ask for anything more.
Durandal

Post by Durandal »

Macross Plus

Watching this taught me how excellent directing can save even the most subpar stories, on top of having excellent animation and background music to boot. The animation in Plus is top-notch, the backgrounds are pleasing to look at and the fights are incredibly well choreographed. As usual, you can't have Macross without idols, and here the star of the show is an AI called Sharon Apple, who is capable of producing songs on her own(?). Instead of 80's J-Pop like in SDF Macross, the soundtrack (composed by Yoko Kanno) has a more futuristic feeling to it, fitting the themes of AI in Plus just right. I immediately downloaded the soundtrack after having finished watching Plus, After in the Dark is so good. The music video scenes also make you feel like you're watching an AI concert in the future It's also one of the few mecha anime I've seen where g-forces are actually present, so that's a plus too.

Though the characterization here isn't all that great. I don't understand how an undisciplined guy like Isamu is still able to serve in the army without getting court-martialed to hell and beyond, how the top brass thought that having two competing test pilots with a lot of bad history between them wouldn't affect results, what the deal was with evil scientist man, or how an AI can hypnotize everyone and holographically project herself out of ANY screen (maybe it was just a hallucination?). None of the characters beside the main cast really get any development, the love triangle conflict is resolved rather abruptly, and Plus does a rather shallow job of dealing with the themes of AIs.

Overall, you're never going to be bored when watching Plus. Though it's story might not always make the most sense, everything else in the OVA certainly makes up for it in spades.
Xyga wrote:
chum wrote:the thing is that we actually go way back and have known each other on multiple websites, first clashing in a Naruto forum.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

What Macross series can you guys recommend me?

I'm into mid-eighties character designs. I like that sweet spot of still-a-bit-oldschool-but-hinting-at-what's-to-come, like Bubblegum Crisis and the such. late-seventies designs generally kinda put me off. :|

Is there a mid-eighties to early nineties Macross series that's entertaining?
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

Durandal wrote:Macross Plus

Watching this taught me how excellent directing can save even the most subpar stories, on top of having excellent animation and background music to boot. The animation in Plus is top-notch, the backgrounds are pleasing to look at and the fights are incredibly well choreographed. As usual, you can't have Macross without idols, and here the star of the show is an AI called Sharon Apple, who is capable of producing songs on her own(?). Instead of 80's J-Pop like in SDF Macross, the soundtrack (composed by Yoko Kanno) has a more futuristic feeling to it, fitting the themes of AI in Plus just right. I immediately downloaded the soundtrack after having finished watching Plus, After in the Dark is so good. The music video scenes also make you feel like you're watching an AI concert in the future It's also one of the few mecha anime I've seen where g-forces are actually present, so that's a plus too.

Though the characterization here isn't all that great. I don't understand how an undisciplined guy like Isamu is still able to serve in the army without getting court-martialed to hell and beyond, how the top brass thought that having two competing test pilots with a lot of bad history between them wouldn't affect results, what the deal was with evil scientist man, or how an AI can hypnotize everyone and holographically project herself out of ANY screen (maybe it was just a hallucination?). None of the characters beside the main cast really get any development, the love triangle conflict is resolved rather abruptly, and Plus does a rather shallow job of dealing with the themes of AIs.

Overall, you're never going to be bored when watching Plus. Though it's story might not always make the most sense, everything else in the OVA certainly makes up for it in spades.
I bought the DVDs some years ago, it's really got excellent animation and music.
ChurchOfSolipsism wrote:I'll make sure I'll download it illegally one day...
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

FinalBaton wrote:What Macross series can you guys recommend me?

I'm into mid-eighties character designs. I like that sweet spot of still-a-bit-oldschool-but-hinting-at-what's-to-come, like Bubblegum Crisis and the such. late-seventies designs generally kinda put me off. :|

Is there a mid-eighties to early nineties Macross series that's entertaining?
The original series and the Do You Remember Love movie, i guess? Not much else suits your needs, at least of the top of my head.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

soprano1 wrote: The original series and the Do You Remember Love movie, i guess? Not much else suits your needs, at least of the top of my head.
I thought early Macross stuff was late-seventies/very early eighties. I should have checked on da Googlez
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

FinalBaton wrote:
soprano1 wrote: The original series and the Do You Remember Love movie, i guess? Not much else suits your needs, at least of the top of my head.
I thought early Macross stuff was late-seventies/very early eighties. I should have checked on da Googlez
Macross Plus is mid-nineties, so it's no good.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

soprano1 wrote: Macross Plus is mid-nineties, so it's no good.
Well I do like some mid-nineties designs, athough not the majority. I like Gunsmith Cats, Eva and You're Under Arrest.
I'll go peep some pics of Macross Plus to see if it suits my palate
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
S_Fang

Post by S_Fang »

This morning I tried to watch Oregairu/Yahari/SNAFU/whatever, it bored me after the first four episodes of the ususal rom-com schlock (es. dumb slapstick, sports, stock characters) but with witty, shallow philosofical monologues, fitting for edgy 17-years-old pricks.
Before I shut down this "thing" (I'm being polite here) out of my sight along side the rom-com genre, which epsiodes of the first season (the hell with the rest) are really worthy to watch.

Maybe I'll try Lovely Complex or something from VVVVVID or moozooh's recommended. I'm honestly getting fed up of watching lame anime in these damn months. :x
KAI

Post by KAI »

S_Fang wrote:which epsiodes of the first season (the hell with the rest) are really worthy to watch.
None, don't waste your time on that shit, it's godawful from beginning to end (just finished the 2nd season the last week, and I just want to kick myself in the balls for doing it).
Lovely complex was really fun. I recommend watching Sakurasou and reading Koi wa Ameagari no You ni if you want good rom coms.
S_Fang

Post by S_Fang »

KAI wrote: None, don't waste your time on that shit, it's godawful from beginning to end (just finished the 2nd season the last week, and I just want to kick myself in the balls for doing it).
Thanks for telling me that, I thought it was my "strict" criteria's doing its job (enjoyability is not a pretentious thing to expect from stories) or my lack of patience with slow-starts.
KAI wrote: Lovely complex was really fun. I recommend watching Sakurasou and reading Koi wa Ameagari no You ni if you want good rom coms.
I watched Sakurasu three years ago and it was a plesant surprise despite some of its cheesyness.
I'll try the two titles in the future, thanks a lot.
copy-paster

Post by copy-paster »

S_Fang wrote:This morning I tried to watch Oregairu/Yahari/SNAFU/whatever, it bored me after the first four episodes of the ususal rom-com schlock (es. dumb slapstick, sports, stock characters) but with witty, shallow philosofical monologues, fitting for edgy 17-years-old pricks.
Before I shut down this "thing" (I'm being polite here) out of my sight along side the rom-com genre, which epsiodes of the first season (the hell with the rest) are really worthy to watch.
Wow finally someone here watched that series.

I actually liked the first season because of that, and the rest aren't good (except for art design and characters) because it fails to bring romcom flick and some very predictable moments.
S_Fang

Post by S_Fang »

copy-paster wrote:
Wow finally someone here watched that series.

I actually liked the first season because of that, and the rest aren't good (except for art design and characters) because it fails to bring romcom flick and some very predictable moments.
Considering I detest the generic rom-com works, witty pretentious dialogues and weird characters aren't enough to entertain me, as well """breaking""" the usual tropes and flicks but I was expecting too much from young adult liteature.
lilmanjs

Post by lilmanjs »

Serial Experiments Lain
Seen it mentioned in here a few times, and grabbed it from the library. Interesting show that I totally forgot I've seen the first 2 episodes of, but still rewatched because that dub is awful. Ergo Proxy will be watched after this and then its a toss up as what to watch.
Lord Satori

Post by Lord Satori »

Just saw Corpse Party.

For a 4 part series adapted from a RPG Horror game, it's fantastically done. Though whoever subbed it is an idiot, because they completely missed to post-credits scene. -_-

It should be noted that the OVA, Missing Footage is actually a prologue, and works well before watching the main series.
Spoiler
though seeing all of the characters that died alive and well again for that brief moment was a refreshing experience. (minus that opening scene)
lilmanjs wrote:Serial Experiments Lain
Seen it mentioned in here a few times, and grabbed it from the library. Interesting show that I totally forgot I've seen the first 2 episodes of, but still rewatched because that dub is awful. Ergo Proxy will be watched after this and then its a toss up as what to watch.
Speaking of dubs...
BryanM wrote:You're trapped in a haunted house. There's a ghost. It wants to eat your friends and have sex with your cat. When forced to decide between the lives of your friends and the chastity of your kitty, you choose the cat.
MintyTheCat

Post by MintyTheCat »

More Bromances = safer people
BIL

Post by BIL »

Lord Satori wrote:Just watched the original Berserk. It's really cool (and also very adult), but the last few episodes go off the deep end.

It ends quite suddenly for no reason at all, and doesn't resolve the framing device they used for Episode 1.
Wut!
Spoiler
Lion Man: btw pussies, ur BFF's gonna betray+murder you after things go to shit LMAO
Hawks: What!
Behrit: ^_~

Later, after things go to shit...
I heard the manga is still going, but at an abysmally slow pace, so I'm not even going to bother.
Manga has some decent volumes, but yeah. At this rate Miura is gonna keel over (inadvertently shoving George RR Martin in front of a bus) before the end is in sight. Oh wells.

But fuck, some of Miura's later art is unearthly beautiful.
Spoiler

Also, he can really draw a cute butt!
Spoiler
Durandal

Post by Durandal »

If you're going to watch the new Berserk, just pretend that the overall terrible CGI animation is just a huge meta-narrative in order to make the viewer suffer so you can relate to Guts' suffering more.
Just go full 3D instead of trying to look 2D with 3D CGI, even the upcoming Berserk musou looks better than this.
Xyga wrote:
KAI

Post by KAI »

Why Japan? Why?
Spoiler
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

Lord Satori wrote: I heard the manga is still going, but at an abysmally slow pace, so I'm not even going to bother.
I was reading the manga at a breakneck pace when I was on it; I was consuming it glutton style, with the subconscious foresight that I would probably lose interest at some point because it's basically enormous.

And I did. I can't quite remember without going back to the tablet and chapter checking, but I think it was shortly after they had a huge battle at sea with various god like things summoning cyclones and stuff, and Gatts almost killing himself by unleashing the beast armour yet again.

How close is that to Miura's current monthly scribbles?
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

BIL

Post by BIL »

You mean Guts vs Emperor Cloud Man aka Ganishka? That was where I picked up from on my last series re-read. A fair chunk has happened since then, but as always with the manga, you'll be caught up and back to the waiting game before long. :wink: I'm giving it another, oh I dunno, five years before checking back in. The Winds of Winter should be out then too. 3:

I decided to give the first ep of the new anime a watch. Didn't hate it, tbh. Certainly wouldn't recommend it over just reading the manga but the adaptation seemed serviceable enough. Thought it was mildly clever how they used the Vol.1 material missing from the first TV anime to graft Puck into the new series.

Animation's another matter entirely, but I wasn't expecting anything good after the recent movies. Overall, I wouldn't bother with any of this stuff.
Last edited by BIL on Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Gonna bump this :P
FinalBaton wrote:What's the best looking(picture quality) retail release of the Berserk 1997 tv series ?

I saw a fantastic looking upload of episode 1 on youtube, in 720p, so I thought maybe there's a blu-ray out.
But then again: maybe that was a good dvd release that the guy on youtube upscaled before uploading it.

Also : for the life of me I can't figure out wich dvd sets and wich blu ray discs cover the tv series. They have names with "arc" in them and none of them say "tv series" in the title or subtitle. it's just so confusing... I legit can't figure it out :(

I want all 25 episodes of the tv series. Can someone point me to a particular retail release of this? Thanks in advance

EDIT : found out that the releases labeled "arc" are the movies. But I still haven't figure out wich releases are the 1997 TV series, least wich one looks best
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

BIL wrote: Animation's another matter entirely, but I wasn't expecting anything good after the recent movies. Overall, I wouldn't bother with any of this stuff.
I like when it drops down to like 15 FPS.. or less. :|

I haven't seen the old anime or any of the movies. what time period do the movies cover?
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
BIL

Post by BIL »

Both the '97 TV anime and the more recent movies are pretty much the Golden Age arc only. The former starts off roughly where the manga does, but after a very truncated Snake Man ep it skips straight to the Golden Age flashback and remains there.

The '97 anime's pretty good. Missing lots of details from the manga (no Wyald or Skull Knight), but what's in there is adapted with lots of heart. Great Hirasawa soundtrack too.

The newer movies made my wiener soft and floppy like cheese. Pointless tbh.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

the return of Cheesedick Birru. It's always a bad time.

Hm.. so i'm chronologically confused about where/when this new animu is set. Farnese & Co never chanced upon Remains of the Hawk did they in the manga did they?

And was Farnese involved in the huge tower Holy Eagle-Man Apostle fiasco? Or do they capture Guts after that..
BIL

Post by BIL »

Oh no, the "Red Lake" scene with Farnese, Serpico and Bridge Knight is from the manga - most of the episode's content is, roughly.

Judging from the first ep, the new anime is the Conviction arc, where the manga continues on after the Golden Age. Makes sense, given where the '97 anime ended. But because the first TV anime didn't include Puck, they needed to import his scenes from the Black Swordsman arc (the bar fight). I assume that's why they did that, anyway. I found mentally reordering this stuff more entertaining than the ep itself, haha!

So chronologically the ep is an inter-arc pick n' mix clusterfuck of Black Swordsman (Puck, skeeltens) and Conviction (Farnese, spookeh tree), plus filler (Isidro's debut is total making shit up). All very compressed for TV, and fugly to boot. What the fuck was that business with the tree, lmao. And WTF @ ruining the Dragon Slayer reveal. Smash millions of skeeltens after casually cutting a fucker in half at the waist, ffs!
Blinge wrote:And was Farnese involved in the huge tower Holy Eagle-Man Apostle fiasco? Or do they capture Guts after that..
Yup, that's all from the Conviction arc. I really like those volumes tbh. Was before the shounen rot that's followed the manga around in recent volumes really took hold.

Black Swordsman <-first ep of 1997 anime
Golden Age / Flashback <-rest of 1997 anime+recent movies
Conviction <-new TV anime
Millennium Falcon <-PS2 game animated some of this stuff
Fantasia <-the manga's current arc, nothing animated yet.

edit: holy fuck, I always forget just how good Hirasawa's 1997 OST is, and that it kicks off with "Behelit." Chilling!
Last edited by BIL on Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

I know this isn't a big problem as it follows the other anime and they're painfully aware of this..

But i don't like how the G-man is casually name dropped in Gut's dream, in that episode.
maybe not worth a spoiler tag but:
Spoiler
It's a huge moment in the manga when a first time reader still doesn't know wtf the story is, when suddenly they're in a strange dimension and a near-spent Guts is revived by his rage to shout "GRIFFITH!" for the first time..
Ah thanks for telling me the arc titles, the absolute binge that I consumed the entire manga in last year didn't give me pause to read the names of volumes..
BIL

Post by BIL »

I actually read the manga from Vol.1 after watching the '97 anime, and found it kinda ballsy how Miura lets the reader in on the Golden Age's arc with that scene ("That was the only thing you were good for..."). The anime's a bit more ambiguous. There's a pre-flashback scene where Guts exclaims "You dirty muhfucka" but no further elaboration. Manga's ultimately the stronger writing, but the anime gains a small degree of mystery that was fun in a shorter series.

Also, was delighted to get all the stuff the anime had to skip (Guts beginning to crack beneath the "Black Swordsman" persona, the Wyald horror show that's still Miura at his most brutal, Skull Knight, Silat...). Anyone who enjoyed the '97 anime and wants to continue the manga should really start from Volume 1.

BTW, good resource for keeping track of the manga volumes+arcs:

http://www.skullknight.net/manga/index.html

I see he's done a few more chapters... :lol: I wouldn't mind waiting on authors, mangaka, etc, if not for the pesky and unpredictably-nearing spectre of death! Mine and/or theirs. :o
Durandal

Post by Durandal »

The weekly suffering continues, as Guts develops the ability to have flashbacks in better-looking 2D animation than the pig-disgusting 3D of the present.
Some actual Susumu Hirasawa music is played, though it didn't really fit the scenes. The new composer should stop with the wubs already.
And according to the episode preview, next week we'll be ALREADY HAVING FUCKING FILLER in a haunted mansion I believe didn't appear in the manga at all.
Xyga wrote: