Recommended Anime/Manga?

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
Blinge

Re: Recommended Anime/Manga?

Post by Blinge »

Durandal wrote: VN, point 'n click, adventure game, whatever
oh visual novel, okay. I was asking what it meant..derp.
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
S_Fang

Post by S_Fang »

Today I finished ToraDora and One Punch Man.

The first, despite being much better than that wreck of Golden Time, managed to bore me out with the slow ass development and no wackyness or characters (very flat, I have to say) managed to interest me.
For these reasons, I decided to speriment my new viewing technique, by skipping from episode 16 to 24-25 and flip this thing off for good.

The second was a real blast in the last episodes, despite some short hiccups in regard of animation. I hope they'll ever made a 2nd season or I'll pass straight to manga.
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

It'll be a couple years before the next OPM season.

It's kind of a bizarre arrangement. It's such a big, beloved property. But the creator only does it as a hobby - we're super lucky if we get 10 issues a year.

Mob Psycho 1,000 and 2 is his real day job. Yes. THAT mangoo.
It's kind of a bizarre arrangement. It's such a big, beloved property. But the creator only does it as a hobby - we're super lucky if we get 10 issues a year.
3/9

... AUISFH*(R@h92 roll over and change, damn you...
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

So you're saying it's a lot like how the artist of Berserk likes to do... well, Berserk in his free time, which seems to be a period of once maybe every few years.
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

Nah, ONE actually does care about his fans and at least sincerely attempts monthly updates.

Was really impressed Berserk got six issues last year. That's like a record.
Hagane

Post by Hagane »

Berserk is so bad that maybe it's better if he doesn't release much. People should stop torturing themselves and drop it already, it won't improve.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Yeah, same with Gunnm or other past glories like that, once the first major arc is done it's useless to wait for more, the rest is just means for the author/editor to continue generating some revenue.
Pisses me off that Vinland Saga has met the same fate btw.
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Hagane wrote:Berserk is so bad that maybe it's better if he doesn't release much. People should stop torturing themselves and drop it already, it won't improve.
You are going to make me cry.
do you like.. anything?

actually, now yours and xyga's posts forced me to think about it; the rest of berserk hasn't been as good as the Golden Era/ what immediately followed it.
I read it all from start to finish in two months last year..
copy-paster

Post by copy-paster »

BryanM wrote:ONE actually does care about his fans
Even the mangaka of OPM "remake" says he's really wanted the 2nd season, hahah make this happen :P
Hagane

Post by Hagane »

Blinge wrote:You are going to make me cry.
do you like.. anything?
Dude Berserk has been awful for like ten volumes or more. It's been turned into moe fairytale bullshit and goes nowhere, I'm far from the only one thinking like this.
Xyga wrote:Pisses me off that Vinland Saga has met the same fate btw.
Actually Vinland Saga never dropped in quality. Some people are annoyed at the slave arc, which is great. For a change Thorfinn is now an interesting character instead of random edgy one-dimensional shonen hero. I can't understand how people want more of that Thorfinn, there's a reason he got sidelined as a main character by the better characters like Askeladd.

The new characters and developments are great too. Just a bunch of people who want to see fighting all the time are complaining about Vinland. If you like well written stories regardless of fighting or not you still like it.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Lol I was like "could it be that we'll finally agree on something?" but no. :lol:
(well at least we do about Berserk)
So yeah like most (I'm confident we're the majority) I liked VS for what it was in the beginning, a dark, gritty war drama, now it's almost a slice of life/comedy manga, slow and boring, not interested.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Hagane wrote: Dude Berserk has been awful for like ten volumes or more. It's been turned into moe fairytale bullshit and goes nowhere, I'm far from the only one thinking like this.
You hadn't qualified that at all, but it makes sense now.

All I saw was your post saying Berserk is bad.

For now I've filed Berserk under "don't get invested because author might die before finishing it," along with GoT... :|
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

Let's all reminisce about the pirate ghosts arc.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

There are children alive right now who only know of Berserk as a wild years-long boat party.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

the muthafuckin boat ... 7 years
Hagane

Post by Hagane »

Xyga wrote:now it's almost a slice of life/comedy manga, slow and boring
No, not really. Vinland Saga quickly turned from starring a random shonen hero (it started being serialized in a shonen magazine for a reason) whose entire personality could be summed up as "VENGEANCE GRRR" to focus on Askeladd's machinations to getting back to Thorfinn and actually giving him a personality worth a damn. The whole slavery arc was huge for developing the main character and was superbly written, a nice account of what meant to be a slave in the Middle Ages.

He goes from an empty shell with no reason to live when he couldn't exact his petty revenge, to a man who wants to change things through means completely different from the usual of the era. He tries to resolve everything peacefully now, trying to follow his father's footsteps (who also chose to get away from all the killing despite being a prominent warrior) but his views are naive and there will be a point where his efforts will be proven to be pointless in an age of constant bloodshed, if the author chooses to follow the sagas.

Also later, in Hild's backstory, it's nice how his dumb former self is exposed for what it was (or how huge an impact his drive for revenge made on the lives of common people; this is, he turned into what he was supposed to take revenge at).

I have nothing but praise for an author as bold as Yukimura. There are comedic tones here and there, but to say that this is now a comedic manga is silly, and to put it on the level of something like Berserk, which is nigh unreadable now, even worse. It certainly wasn't like that in the slave arc, and it isn't like that now with Hild. It is still one of the greatest manga, for people who can appreciate things other than "HORSE PUNCH LOL XD".
konmai

Post by konmai »

Kabaneri looks utterly amazing, would keep for the production values alone
"whoa I guess we really are the joker game" also looks good, but the philosophy talk drags a bit
Weak season though, I checked out most of the shows and they're either meh or guilty pleasure-tier.
S_Fang wrote:For these reasons, I decided to speriment my new viewing technique, by skipping from episode 16 to 24-25 and flip this thing off for good.
Everything before 16 is the "nothing happens lmao school life is so wacky" part. After the midpoint shit hits the fan constantly and all the developments take place here, so you should've done it the other way around
S_Fang

Post by S_Fang »

konmai wrote:
S_Fang wrote:For these reasons, I decided to speriment my new viewing technique, by skipping from episode 16 to 24-25 and flip this thing off for good.
Everything before 16 is the "nothing happens lmao school life is so wacky" part. After the midpoint shit hits the fan constantly and all the developments take place here, so you should've done it the other way around
I don't care anymore, that anime failed to keep me interested and I don't like to waste my time.
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

Oi, Parasyte is just a shaggy dog story when you get down to it. The transient presence of the monsters, how they just evaporate once the main character graduates high school, means they're just a metaphor for going through puberty and having to get a job. When all the fun ends and you have to go back to the grim grey slog of real life.

It's supposed to be like an 80's action movie when the main character takes up a one-man gang war; that's where the first 70% of the series goes. The climax of that story is SUPPOSED to be when the main character murders the shit out of the entire gang all in one shot, and the audience cheers every second of it.

The ending is completely, utterly wrong. Don't do what Denny Davis Did when he wrote his story. Do right by your monster shonen manga.
Durandal

Post by Durandal »

BryanM wrote:Oi, Parasyte is just a shaggy dog story when you get down to it. The transient presence of the monsters, how they just evaporate once the main character graduates high school, means they're just a metaphor for going through puberty and having to get a job.
but one of the monsters enters shicnichi's school and murders people
Xyga wrote:
chum wrote:the thing is that we actually go way back and have known each other on multiple websites, first clashing in a Naruto forum.
Liar. I've known you only from latexmachomen.com and pantysniffers.org forums.
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

Anyone saw the Cyborg 009 VS Devilman OVA? Good stuff, using manga pages from both as the ED was a nice touch.
What the hell was wrong with Ryo's eyes, though?
ChurchOfSolipsism wrote:I'll make sure I'll download it illegally one day...
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

Gr, animoo of obscure light novel Occultic;Nine was announced, but all we got date wise was "2016".

Dude, there's only two broadcast seasons left in the year. Summer and fall. I think they know which one its gonna be. They could be a tiny bit more precise.

They always seem to announce serieses right before they launch, but still remain utterly vague about when that might be. Why they do that?
Durandal wrote:but one of the monsters enters shicnichi's school and murders people
That totally happens twice! It's a George Lucas star wars thing! And then they do it again when he goes on a vacation to a countryside to fight his nemesis while a countryside girl goes moe over him!

There's gotta be a name for this kind of lazy repetition.

And the second time it happens makes no sense whatsoever! And Kana's behavior makes no sense either! None of this makes any sense!
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

Ghegs on Jan. 13, 2016 wrote:Inspired that the original Legend of Galactic Heroes novels are finally getting translated into English, with the first two already up for pre-order on Amazon (don't think I've ever pre-ordered books before...), I've started my third watch-through of the anime. This time in story-chronological order.
Finished today. Still the greatest anime ever, and one of the best epic space opera stories in general. I keep noticing new things and realizing new connections every time I watch it. Will probably watch the whole thing again in five years or so.

Now I can read the first book...
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
lilmanjs

Post by lilmanjs »

Bought Tokyo Majin and watched the first 2 episodes. Seems the same as the ADV release just funamation branded. Did I make a bad choice or does this stay good over the 2 seasons? That save line seems to have a lot of stuff!
Durandal

Post by Durandal »

Just recently watched the Mobile Suit Gundam 0079 series. Started watching Zeta directly afterwards.
I gotta say, 0079 is pretty good. I really love the world design and mech designs, and I can see how this became such a classic, where other mecha anime would copy the tale of the one lone battleship surviving relentless assaults from the massive enemy fleet because of skill and cunning. Most of the main characters get fleshed out properly, and seeing the White Base turn from a fortress of noobs who do not have any idea what they are doing, into a thorn in Zeon's side, was really great. Even Zeon is not portrayed as pure evil villains. I also like the way Newtypes were presented, instead of just being some magical asspull that comes out of nowhere. There are some filler episodes, and somewhere past half the series, 0079 adopts a freak of the week structure where a new MS is introduced each episode, but thankfully once the White Base gets to the last operation the series picks up again. In hindsight I might have as well watched the movies to cut the fat, I don't think I would have really missed out on much. I'd definitely recommend it.

So far got 12 episodes into Zeta, and I think it's alright. Kamille is an alright character, although the guy doesn't seem to have any regard for consequences. He gets Brightslapped all the time (seriously, it's almost ridiculous how much Kamille gets slapped by everyone), but he doesn't care or mope about it. He is reluctant to kill others, but he's not that much of a pacifist to let his enemies live when he knows damn well they might kill him directly afterwards. Seeing Char matured like that is also pretty cool, although since he was equally matched (?) with Amuro on A Baoa Qu, I'd expected him to be more efficient in suit combat, but I guess not. Seeing the roles reversed between the MC and rival in terms of skill should also be interesting here. I do hope Zeta doesn't progress too similarly as 0079. Kamille even remarks about a 'nostalgic feeling' in the second episode. I don't get why the hell they had to bring Fa along. What the hell do they keep fighting about? Does every Gundam series start with a female childhood friend whose script consists 50% of calling out the MC's name? Still, I'm hooked.
Xyga wrote:
chum wrote:the thing is that we actually go way back and have known each other on multiple websites, first clashing in a Naruto forum.
Liar. I've known you only from latexmachomen.com and pantysniffers.org forums.
Lord Satori

Post by Lord Satori »

BryanM wrote: There's gotta be a name for this kind of lazy repetition.
There is. It's called life.
BryanM wrote:You're trapped in a haunted house. There's a ghost. It wants to eat your friends and have sex with your cat. When forced to decide between the lives of your friends and the chastity of your kitty, you choose the cat.
OmegaFlareX

Post by OmegaFlareX »

There's an anime-themed sale on Steam this weekend, can anyone recommend a good visual novel to try? Preferably something "realistic" (no fantasy, sci-fi, demons, etc.).
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

Durandal wrote:Just recently watched the Mobile Suit Gundam 0079 series. Started watching Zeta directly afterwards.
I gotta say, 0079 is pretty good. I really love the world design and mech designs, and I can see how this became such a classic, where other mecha anime would copy the tale of the one lone battleship surviving relentless assaults from the massive enemy fleet because of skill and cunning. Most of the main characters get fleshed out properly, and seeing the White Base turn from a fortress of noobs who do not have any idea what they are doing, into a thorn in Zeon's side, was really great. Even Zeon is not portrayed as pure evil villains. I also like the way Newtypes were presented, instead of just being some magical asspull that comes out of nowhere. There are some filler episodes, and somewhere past half the series, 0079 adopts a freak of the week structure where a new MS is introduced each episode, but thankfully once the White Base gets to the last operation the series picks up again. In hindsight I might have as well watched the movies to cut the fat, I don't think I would have really missed out on much. I'd definitely recommend it.

So far got 12 episodes into Zeta, and I think it's alright. Kamille is an alright character, although the guy doesn't seem to have any regard for consequences. He gets Brightslapped all the time (seriously, it's almost ridiculous how much Kamille gets slapped by everyone), but he doesn't care or mope about it. He is reluctant to kill others, but he's not that much of a pacifist to let his enemies live when he knows damn well they might kill him directly afterwards. Seeing Char matured like that is also pretty cool, although since he was equally matched (?) with Amuro on A Baoa Qu, I'd expected him to be more efficient in suit combat, but I guess not. Seeing the roles reversed between the MC and rival in terms of skill should also be interesting here. I do hope Zeta doesn't progress too similarly as 0079. Kamille even remarks about a 'nostalgic feeling' in the second episode. I don't get why the hell they had to bring Fa along. What the hell do they keep fighting about? Does every Gundam series start with a female childhood friend whose script consists 50% of calling out the MC's name? Still, I'm hooked.
0079 movies are better than the series. As for the annoying female childhood friend, remember Tomino hates women for some reason. Really.
ChurchOfSolipsism wrote:I'll make sure I'll download it illegally one day...
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Was browsing some old anime series yesterday, had completely forgotten about Inukami!.
Nothing great as a whole, it's your average comedy, youkai-themed, but really back then when anime studios went WTF they didn't hold back.
(ep 2 and 6 in particular and as far as I've seen, seriously these people had to be on something)
OmegaFlareX

Post by OmegaFlareX »

OmegaFlareX wrote:There's an anime-themed sale on Steam this weekend, can anyone recommend a good visual novel to try? Preferably something "realistic" (no fantasy, sci-fi, demons, etc.).
Apparently Clannad fits the bill. Even at half-off ($25) I think I'll wait until the summer sale to see if it goes lower. Season of 12 Colors, If My Heart Had Wings, and G-senjou no Maou look good too.