Ninja Gaiden [NES] + R2RKMF: Scrolling Action Monogatari

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
NYN

Re: a toast a dub

Post by NYN »

Sumez wrote:I love it :3
So, in your honor, I propose we call it "the Sumez"?
Are you down with that?
"Aw, nah. This is great. Do the Sumez."
Rings nicely, though?
Sumez wrote:To be fair, Rondo also does this, wholesale.
Lest we compare.
Rondo has a whole lot more a-going. So it feels not as excruciating.
"I've transmuted into a super being. I'll proof it by killing you." -NGIII ( words to kill by )
Blinge

Re: Ninja Gaiden [NES] + Scrolling Action Monogatari

Post by Blinge »

Perikles wrote: I pondered a while over which vocable to pick for a facetious "entrüstet", and this was the best I could come up with. I find it sometimes fiendishly difficult to translate a sentence which would blatantly carry its cheerful exaggeration on its sleeve into English.
Well fuck me. 'Vocable'

I just learned a new word.. and I consider myself a master of the English language :o

SoR2 huh? Some douche baguette has accused my normal 1cc of being easy modo on youtube reee.
Sumez wrote:
Despatche wrote:The Mega Drive by itself is also a mostly better platform than the SNES.
It really isn't. It does have some advantages over the SNES, but it's not what people tend to think.
Oh jesus, I still haven't recovered from the 3rd Great Console War!
Lost an arm to a 'Eurocuck' Bomb in the Battle of Blast Processing.
Vanguard wrote: Special mention goes to XX's excellent use of spear enemies. They were present in Rondo but weren't really a big deal. XX puts them into a variety of contexts and makes them matter.
Triggered!! :mrgreen:
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Despatche wrote: Pretty sure the Super CD-ROM² is better than the SNES. It doesn't have pointless Mode 7 tricks, but hardware designed specifically for games plus a stupid amount of RAM is worth a lot. Add even more RAM and you get Garou Densetsu Special, a monstrous port that should not be possible on any of this hardware. Never underestimate the power of downloading more RAM.
Funnily enough, folks from the PC Engine forums have pointed out that theoretically, the HuCard is more powerful than the CD add-on - barring audio limitations, because HuCards could be custom-made to more or less any RAM amount, whereas CDs had a built-in limitation due to the format (hence the Super Cards/Arcade Cards, which forced more RAM than what CDs allowed). That's why you saw a Street Fighter 2 port done on a custom HuCard and not on CD or Super-CD. It makes me wonder if that was why PC Denjin is more impressive as a HuCard shooter (with more parallax, etc.) than the CD sequel.

Feasibly, there's nothing in Rondo that wouldn't fit on a HuCard, minus the VO and CD soundtrack.
stryc9

Post by stryc9 »

Sumez wrote:The fact that the MegaDrive supposedly has a much faster CPU is pure misinformation. Even the NES is easily capable of scrolling at "Sonic speeds".
I think realistically the MD is more flexible with sprites of different sizes displayed simultaneously, and the higher resolution is a big advantage as well, certainly for arcade ports of the time.

The CPU speed is obviously useful for more than just fast scrolling screens, which in the case of the Hold Right series is probably pushing data transfer from VRAM more than anything else. Anything with real time scaling done in software during gameplay is probably a good indication of CPU grunt (and programmer skill). See Yu Yu Hakusho (4 player simultaneous fighting with scaling sprites for plane switching ala Fatal Fury), Panorama Cotton (plenty of different tricks being used here, I'm sure this would be impossible on Super Famicom).
Facebook is for handbag users.
XBox Live Name: Katbizkitz
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

I don't know. The 68K has multiplication instructions, but they are also very slow. The SNES has memory mapped hardware registers for that purpose which are probably less ideal. There are a ton of different way to scale and rotate stuff in real time, so it's hard to really say anything conclusive without looking at very specific examples and how they are performed.

The thing is, the MegaDrive's CPU isn't faster than the SNES's. It's faster at some things, and might edge out overall due to the 65816 being bottlenecked by RAM access, but the difference is minor if it's there at all. A lot of people tend to just look at the clock speed of each CPU and think a higher number means a faster CPU, which is misleading when a 6502-family CPU typically spends half as many clock cycles on most commands compared to similar ones on a 68k.
EmperorIng wrote: Funnily enough, folks from the PC Engine forums have pointed out that theoretically, the HuCard is more powerful than the CD add-on - barring audio limitations, because HuCards could be custom-made to more or less any RAM amount, whereas CDs had a built-in limitation due to the format (hence the Super Cards/Arcade Cards, which forced more RAM than what CDs allowed). That's why you saw a Street Fighter 2 port done on a custom HuCard and not on CD or Super-CD. It makes me wonder if that was why PC Denjin is more impressive as a HuCard shooter (with more parallax, etc.) than the CD sequel.

Feasibly, there's nothing in Rondo that wouldn't fit on a HuCard, minus the VO and CD soundtrack.
This goes almost without saying, but solid state is obviously always an advantage over mechanical storage media.
I don't know the actual limitations of what constitutes a "HuCard", but similar to my comparison with ROM data on a SNES cart, I assume you can put almost anything in there, and probably pull some bank switching tricks too if need be. The RAM used by the Super CD ROM games is mostly located on the system HuCard anyway, and that's where the power comes from.
Honestly, the only advantage a CD-ROM ever provided, was production costs compared to storage size.
stryc9

Post by stryc9 »

Any good examples of sprite scaling on Super Famicom? (the usual suspects like Contra Spirits stg 1 plane that use Mode 7 BG trickery aside - although it's a fine example since it works to good effect, I'm thinking multiple smaller sprites that demonstrate a more inline application, whether by smooth pre-rendered frames or otherwise).

I'm not super familiar with much of it's library, just curious.
it290

Post by it290 »

EmperorIng wrote:It makes me wonder if that was why PC Denjin is more impressive as a HuCard shooter (with more parallax, etc.) than the CD sequel.
I don't think you can attribute it completely to that. Take away the technical stuff and there's still a lot of design choices that put CD Zonk well below its HuCard forefather. Make them look the same and Air Zonk is still a lot more fun; they just hit the formula right whereas I feel like Super tries to be a Bonk game and a shooter at the same time and doesn't quite excel at either. Air Zonk is a once-in-a-platform-lifecycle kind of lightning strike where Super is just a good workmanlike game.
We here shall not rest until we have made a drawing-room of your shaft, and if you do not all finally go down to your doom in patent-leather shoes, then you shall not go at all.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

stryc9 wrote:Any good examples of sprite scaling on Super Famicom? (the usual suspects like Contra Spirits stg 1 plane that use Mode 7 BG trickery aside - although it's a fine example since it works to good effect, I'm thinking multiple smaller sprites that demonstrate a more inline application, whether by smooth pre-rendered frames or otherwise).

The most obvious example would be Yoshi's Island, but it uses the SuperFX for that purpose, so it's cheating.
First person games like Jurassic Park's indoor areas or Wolfenstein 3D might be a good one? Every item and enemy is scaled constantly, and runs quite smoothly. (the downside here being that the resolution for both is quite low)

But for a SNES game I would abuse it's enormous amount of RAM to pre-render every expected state of a sprite, and then DMA those into VRAM on the fly while animating. Doing it on the fly probably wouldn't be too intensive with creative use of look-up-tables though. I've experimented with live VRAM manipulation on the SNES, and you can really fit a lot of stuff into one frame. I think it's more up to the programmer than the hardware.
stryc9

Post by stryc9 »

So real time software sprite scaling is a bit of a rarity on the SNES then, at least compared to MD where there is quite a few examples? Even ones that are clearly too much for the 68000 like the Road Rash Engine which moves about 7 fps, but scales the bikes and numerous roadside objects. A couple of more recent tech demos had an F-Zero track running at full frame rate with double size pixels (so quite low res, but impressive none the less) IIRC.

Considering the SNES's seeming lack of examples using real-time calculations to handle sprite expansion effects, what other factor apart from a CPU that would perhaps struggle is there? Not trying to start 16-BIT WARZ III or anything, but I am interested in your opinion here.
Perikles

Post by Perikles »

Perikles wrote:- I'm not going to write it down in the main post, nonetheless a first impression on Ganbare Goemon 2: absolutely love the platforming (albeit not quite as much as the first game from the parts I've seen so far, even though the presentation is stunning), hate the giant robot battles in first-person view. Got stuck on the second one and just gave up, it's a perfect storm of awkward controls, insufficiently telegraphed attacks which probably require memorization to get through and tanking damage/trading blows no matter what. Completely stopped my momentum.
I was sufficiently soothed today and decided to continue from where I left off last time. Managed to get through the game, was surprised how short it is - even though the first Goemon and the second can be finished at around the same time, the first one will definitely take longer for an inexperienced player (both in terms of the time you have to invest in total to learn the game and for the actual run itself if you wish to play it through in one setting). Anyway, after a bit of observation, I was able to figure out the patterns for the two remaining robot battles. They're still terrible with lots of cheap hits and imprecise controls, but they can be beaten consistently if you know in advance what's going to happen.

Which would probably also be the leitmotiv of the rest of the game. It reminded me a bit of Famicom Bucky O'Hare, albeit not as fast-paced and without the nimiety of extends (I didn't find any in this game, I admittedly didn't stick around in the towns due to the language barrier, though). Almost all of the later stages have several instances of instant death traps. There is one level where you have to hug the right of the screen to get away from a colossal snowball which will push you into pits otherwise - once you're through, you have to stand on said snowball to traverse water whilst fending enemies off; the snowball becomes increasingly smaller so that any hit will knock you off, resulting in an immediate demise. There are stages with pistons (curlicued/represented as kokeshi) which can crush you, several tricky jumps, meat grinders, falling platforms, you name it.

After having seen all of the game, I know also understand why this game is in such high regard among those people that actually are familiar with it: while there are shared elements between both Goemons, the second is really more of a "variegated mainstream jump 'n' run", if that makes sense. The first game deflagrated a firework of wit as well, and while falling to a pit is a constant danger in either game, the second game is content with you knowing the stage structure in and of itself where the first game requires more of a basic skill set to be overcome (and less memorization). As such, an inattentive casual player will hopelessly get stuck in the first game for he can't brute force his way through, yet he can get past the second game with enough attempts. The aforementioned robot fights, entirely asthenic boss battles and additional characters (which can't be switched mid-game unless you get a game over as far as I'm aware) are further proof that Konami decided to dilute the undeniably uncompromising nature of the first SFC entry to target a different audience.

Thus, I would recommend the second game for what it is: a cornucopia of ideas enwrought in svelte audiovisuals. While it can be played with a 1CC mindset or for similar goals (I looked around a bit and found this very impressive speedrun), I personally don't care enough to do that considering the propensity of its parameters.

On another note, I went back to Hagane and finally reaped the 2-ALL. When I got my 1LC a few years back, I decided to just play the credit to its end and reached 2-5 where I got subsequently murdered. The doubled/quadrupled amount of health for regular enemies as well as mid-bosses drastically alters the way the game unfolds and requires entirely different strategies in certain spots; I was pleasantly surprised that I enjoyed it a lot more after trying to find reliable solutions than last time. It's not an ideal alteration to change the difficulty by any means (Zenki does it so much better) and there is one section that will most likely necessitate getting hit once, the added tension to efficaciously prioritize enemies in 5-1 (the hardest stage in the entire run) turned out to be a fine spectacle regardless, I only had a handful of seconds on the clock left since the bosses have so much more stamina, too. Not something I would recommend to everyone (unlike the first loop which is entirely mandatory for fans of the genre), but I was glad that I did it, 'tis the perfect excuse to get back to the game if you can manage the first loop without problems.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Sumez wrote:
stryc9 wrote:Any good examples of sprite scaling on Super Famicom? (the usual suspects like Contra Spirits stg 1 plane that use Mode 7 BG trickery aside - although it's a fine example since it works to good effect, I'm thinking multiple smaller sprites that demonstrate a more inline application, whether by smooth pre-rendered frames or otherwise).

The most obvious example would be Yoshi's Island, but it uses the SuperFX for that purpose, so it's cheating.
First person games like Jurassic Park's indoor areas or Wolfenstein 3D might be a good one? Every item and enemy is scaled constantly, and runs quite smoothly. (the downside here being that the resolution for both is quite low)

But for a SNES game I would abuse it's enormous amount of RAM to pre-render every expected state of a sprite, and then DMA those into VRAM on the fly while animating. Doing it on the fly probably wouldn't be too intensive with creative use of look-up-tables though. I've experimented with live VRAM manipulation on the SNES, and you can really fit a lot of stuff into one frame. I think it's more up to the programmer than the hardware.
Personally, I find it hilarious how F1 RoC II needed a special chip to borrow from F-Zero when F-Zero plays better and has no special chip.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Perikles wrote: Which would probably also be the leitmotiv of the rest of the game. It reminded me a bit of Famicom Bucky O'Hare, albeit not as fast-paced and without the nimiety of extends (I didn't find any in this game, I admittedly didn't stick around in the towns due to the language barrier, though). Almost all of the later stages have several instances of instant death traps. There is one level where you have to hug the right of the screen to get away from a colossal snowball which will push you into pits otherwise - once you're through, you have to stand on said snowball to traverse water whilst fending enemies off; the snowball becomes increasingly smaller so that any hit will knock you off, resulting in an immediate demise. There are stages with pistons (curlicued/represented as kokeshi) which can crush you, several tricky jumps, meat grinders, falling platforms, you name it.

After having seen all of the game, I know also understand why this game is in such high regard among those people that actually are familiar with it: while there are shared elements between both Goemons, the second is really more of a "variegated mainstream jump 'n' run", if that makes sense. The first game deflagrated a firework of wit as well, and while falling to a pit is a constant danger in either game, the second game is content with you knowing the stage structure in and of itself where the first game requires more of a basic skill set to be overcome (and less memorization). As such, an inattentive casual player will hopelessly get stuck in the first game for he can't brute force his way through, yet he can get past the second game with enough attempts. The aforementioned robot fights, entirely asthenic boss battles and additional characters (which can't be switched mid-game unless you get a game over as far as I'm aware) are further proof that Konami decided to dilute the undeniably uncompromising nature of the first SFC entry to target a different audience.

Thus, I would recommend the second game for what it is: a cornucopia of ideas enwrought in svelte audiovisuals. While it can be played with a 1CC mindset or for similar goals (I looked around a bit and found this very impressive speedrun), I personally don't care enough to do that considering the propensity of its parameters.
Two questions, do you have any impressions of the series as a whole (or at least the SFC games), and how playable do you feel Goemon 2 is with no knowledge of Japanese? I bought the fourth one back in the days, having heard it was the most simple, action focused game of the series, with very little reliance on text. But I immediately found the game clumsy and bothersome to play, despite looking exceptionally beautiful. Never got far at all.
I've yet to open up to the series at all, and would love a better place to start.
Perikles

Post by Perikles »

I haven't played (much) of 3 & 4 for the sole reason that those games (purportedly?) do require at least some knowledge of the Japanese language. The worst part is supposed to be a robot boss in the fourth game that asks you questions which you have to answer correctly in order to do damage to him (clicking through a video, I would imagine it's this one). I'm also not inordinately keen that both games seem to incorporate a lot more of these gimmick set-pieces, namely with the giant robots, those are just awkward as all hell. Lastly, it seems like 3 is by far the longest game in the series, mayhap the veridical attempt at crafting a true "Super Goemon World", thus concluding ambitions which were already burgeoning in 2.

2 fortunately can be played with almost no verbal interaction whatsoever. There is one item you're required to buy (a pass) which is simply done by walking into a shop, selecting said item and picking the first option. To save the game, you look for the house with red curtains in a town, select the right-most option and then the first one. That's all you have to know about the language. Of course, it's most likely that you miss out on several secrets/additional amenities (such as extra lives), you can definitely beat the game without those, though. And while I'm at it, I might as well explain the controls of the often-mentioned robot fights:

Y: Jab
B: Punch
X: Bomb (must have gotten one/two in the stage beforehand)
A: Bullets (consume money)
L/R: Guard

The jab is almost entirely useless, a veritable beginner's trap. You want to use the punch to do some respectable damage to bosses and push them back. Depending on how well you do in the genocidal godzilla simulator stage leading up to the battle itself, you have more health, money and, most importantly, up to two bombs (dropped at specific thresholds of energy). Using a bomb will automatically (at least I think it does, I've never seen it miss) hit the boss and reduce its health by 50. Some attacks you can intercept by a well-timed punch of your own, some of them you have to block with the guard command first, archetypical trial & error. The congruence between where your reticle is and what you're actually going to hit is not horribly satisfying, either.

The stages themselves are self-explanatory. There is a single stage with a fake exit that will fool you the first time yet is obvious to figure out afterwards. As I've mentioned, lots of instant death trap which are difficult to avoid without prescience, but also mostly unproblematic after a few attempts at most. There are some seriously tricky jumps where you have to land on rather rapidly moving pendulums, those require some timing and are some of the best parts of the game in my opinion.

You probably want to play as the ninja character (on the far right of the selection screen) for his movement speed and great jumping capabilities. He also gains the ability to throw his kunai once he is powered up which is of course extremely useful. His only problem is the final boss although the speedrun I've posted above doesn't transport this whatsoever, it's possibly just me not getting a good grasp on the patterns. Goemon is also a consistently good character to use, Ebisumaru only really shines against the final boss on the other hand.

Having said all that, I would just recommend playing the first SFC game (which is rich of me to say in light of the fact that I'm only familiar with those two! :mrgreen:) in its translated form. I understand why delicate linguists among video game enthusiasts reprimand the translation since it is not what you would call chatoyant prose begotten in an entheal phrontistery, it serves its purposes entirely on a functional level nonetheless. You have to buy a few more items and find hidden passageways and such than in the first game, it doesn't feel like RPG detraction or filler whatsoever, though, and more like judicious resource management. Unlike the second game, where townspeople will toil a halcyon, irenical life, everyone is out to murder you in the first game, starting with the initial screen. That is, all but the women, hitting them will penalize you in the form of subtracted money. I find this to be an ingenious little detail for you are always tense considering the ceaseless spawning of vile peasants, this will force you to react quickly instead of continuously mashing.

Health extensions are not permanent unlike the second game, they only last for one entire level (which usually consists of two sub-stages, the overworld and the dungeon part) which is again a moreso arcade-like structure. Your weapon upgrades not once, but twice, and there is an interesting balance between the longer pipe and the yoyo, the difference between your regular attack and tossing coins is likewise carefully construed. Stages revolve around you being able to fend off relentless enemies whilst also doing lots of creative platforming where the second game is more about memorization and handling specific stage hazards. Bosses are not unduly threatening in this game either, a lot more respectable than those in 2 all the same.

I will say that you have to get used to the timing of Goemon's attacks as well as some of the more pronounced foibles regarding a few hitboxes (particularly during the overworld view). And while I respect that getting hit will power you down, I don't think it was wise to have such a horrendous default walking speed during the towns sections (get yourself as many sandals as money can buy as soon as possible!). Outside of that, I think this is a stellar game for enthusiasts of our proclivity. I've seen a lot of critiques towards the first game when it comes to the overall SFC series, calling it "needlessly difficult" or "hardcore", I call it incorruptible game design. It places gameplay first and then builds marvelous presentation around it as it should be the case. I get the distinct impression that later games - while still remarkably solid - start to dissipate that line, being content with delivering ocular wonderment first and coterminous gameplay second.
Vanguard

Post by Vanguard »

Sumez wrote:Two questions, do you have any impressions of the series as a whole (or at least the SFC games), and how playable do you feel Goemon 2 is with no knowledge of Japanese? I bought the fourth one back in the days, having heard it was the most simple, action focused game of the series, with very little reliance on text. But I immediately found the game clumsy and bothersome to play, despite looking exceptionally beautiful. Never got far at all.
I've yet to open up to the series at all, and would love a better place to start.
I've played a few of these. The first SFC Goemon game has an english version, though it arbitrarily renames things. It's divided into two halves, Goemon and Ebisumaru first go through top-down town stages where they fight townspeople, gather money, play minigames, find secrets, and buy upgrades. The other half of the game is comprised of conventional platformer stages. The upgrades you find in the town half can also be used in the platformer half and being fully upgraded makes a huge difference. Two action heroes taking part time jobs painting houses to fund their rescue mission is a funny concept but it's not that great in practice. The game becomes more enjoyable the better you are because taking hits destroys your upgrades and that snowballs into taking even more hits. If you maintain your upgrades you can spend more time playing the game and less time preparing to play the game.

The second one is the easiest recommendation. It's like a much more straightforward version of its predecessor. There are still towns but the NPCs won't attack you unprovoked and you really only visit them to save your game and replenish your supplies. Perikles mentioned this but the only point where the language barrier could seriously impede you is in an early town where the guards won't let you proceed until you buy a road pass from a nearby shop. So now that you know that it won't be a problem. Beyond that it's not hard at all to trial-and-error your way through everything you need to do. The game is laid out much like Super Mario World, with a similar (though much smaller) world map and stages with alternate exits leading to alternate paths. The level design includes a good degree of variety. I especially like that you can kill enemies piloting vehicles and hijack their rides. This is the first Goemon game to feature the mecha battles which become a staple of the series going forward. It's sort of like a Punch Out game, a little memorization-heavy but I think the difficulty is low enough to prevent it from being a problem. The character balancing is strange, Sasuke is overall the best character, then Goemon, then Ebisumaru. The game attempts to fix this by starting the weaker characters with a bit more money. This probably doesn't need to be said, but a little bit of starting cash is absolutely not worth playing a weaker character. Overall it's a fun, relatively easy platformer and one of the best co-op games on the Super Famicom. Goemon 1 is also good for co-op, but only if both players know what they're doing. When you've got a strong player paired up with a weaker player (the norm for most of this forum, I imagine) the upgrade system will usually send the latter into a death spiral.

The third one has the highest language barrier and I don't know much about it. It seems to be single player only. The fourth game is somewhat similar to the second. There are more town events and mandatory minigames that would be hard to get through without some sort of a guide. It's probably not so bad that you couldn't brute force it, but I wouldn't recommend playing that way.

I've also played the two Nintendo 64 entries, both of which have official english versions. Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon is somewhat like a 3D Zelda game complete with dungeons, upgrade items, heart container stand-ins, and everything else you'd expect. Mechanically it falls short of both N64 Zeldas, but the wacky characters and story give it its own appeal. Single player only. It's been a long time since I've played Goemon's Great Adventure, but I remember liking it a lot. It's a 2D platformer, and like all N64 platformers, it's mostly about collecting enough of a certain item to proceed, road passes in this case. Generally the road passes are at the end of linear stages or are awarded for completing minigames so you don't need to scour the world as much as you do in most collectathons. Make sure to talk to Plasma the fortune teller whenever you get stuck. It's another good choice for co-op and the characters differentiation does a good job of letting both players specialize in certain situations.
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

I wonder why these games aren't favoured for fan translations, I would love to give them a whirl. At this point, a new translation for the first one would be nice, too.
Guess for now the pointers above are the only viable option.
ChurchOfSolipsism wrote:I'll make sure I'll download it illegally one day...
tomwhite2004

Post by tomwhite2004 »

soprano1 wrote:I wonder why these games aren't favoured for fan translations, I would love to give them a whirl. At this point, a new translation for the first one would be nice, too.
Guess for now the pointers above are the only viable option.
A translation for the second game is in the works but apparently the third and fourth games would be next to impossible for technical reasons that i can no longer remember nor find reference to.

http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.p ... #msg370050
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

tomwhite2004 wrote:the third and fourth games would be next to impossible for technical reasons that i can no longer remember nor find reference to.
I see, that's unfortunate. Thanks for reply.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

That's a pity. I like the 4th game quite a bit, but getting past certain parts was a pain. The DS game, which I liked quite a bit despite (or maybe because of) some jankiness, also has a sticking point, though a similar letter drawing thing also appeared in a western version of a WarioWare game.
tomwhite2004

Post by tomwhite2004 »

out of curiosity i double checked romhacking and my information was really outdated. the hurdles that had previously held back the translation of the third and fourth games seeingly have been figured out which is awesome!

https://www.romhacking.net/forum/index. ... ic=22957.0
Vanguard

Post by Vanguard »

Got a one life clear in Dracula XX. Thanks to all y'all for convincing me to give it another chance.

Edit: Whoops, that video quality is garbage. Still getting used to this new recording setup. I've replaced it with a better version.

Edit 2: Thanks to the valuable advice of Perikles-sama, I've been able to squeeze quite a bit more video quality out of that recording. This is the last reupload, I promise.
Last edited by Vanguard on Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
NYN

Re: the fearless vampire killer

Post by NYN »

Thanks for the comedic tone: moonwalking, attacking with the key/key item crash, and getting hit by stage 3 boss, consuming the meat to get the no damage 1up. Applause. Your fight with the Reaper was a close one.
"I've transmuted into a super being. I'll proof it by killing you." -NGIII ( words to kill by )
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

tomwhite2004 wrote:out of curiosity i double checked romhacking and my information was really outdated. the hurdles that had previously held back the translation of the third and fourth games seeingly have been figured out which is awesome!

That's good to hear. I'm always doubtful when I hear that a translation is "impossible". I honestly see no reason that kind of stuff shouldn't be.
That said, the tools available for working with SNES software are mostly really awful.
Once Mesen-S comes out, hacking SNES games will become a piece of cake! :D
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

Sumez wrote:
tomwhite2004 wrote:out of curiosity i double checked romhacking and my information was really outdated. the hurdles that had previously held back the translation of the third and fourth games seeingly have been figured out which is awesome!

That's good to hear. I'm always doubtful when I hear that a translation is "impossible". I honestly see no reason that kind of stuff shouldn't be.
That said, the tools available for working with SNES software are mostly really awful.
Once Mesen-S comes out, hacking SNES games will become a piece of cake! :D
That's great!
WelshMegalodon

Post by WelshMegalodon »

Anything for a better translation of Thracia 776.
Indie hipsters: "Arcades are so dead"
Finite Continues? Ain't that some shit.
RBelmont wrote:A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire
Vanguard

Re: the fearless vampire killer

Post by Vanguard »

Ronyn wrote:Thanks for the comedic tone: moonwalking, attacking with the key/key item crash, and getting hit by stage 3 boss, consuming the meat to get the no damage 1up. Applause. Your fight with the Reaper was a close one.
Thanks. Some of the moonwalking actually serves a practical purpose: most respawning enemies appear from whichever side of the screen Richter is facing. By walking backwards you can force the game's myriad medusa heads and bats to spawn behind you and avoid a lot of trouble.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Funny thing about Gomeon's Great Adventure is that I assumed some of the things in it were a US localization thing until I heard the names of Hollywood Celebrities spoken in Japanese syllables.
Marc

Post by Marc »

I played most of the way through the original when I got the SNES mini, but I found that these days I find the town sections an unwelcome break in the otherwise enjoyable platforming. It still looks and sounds the business though.

I even enjoyed the N64 game from recollection, though it's not something I've ever revisited.

Back to Rondo / XX tonight.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

Seems like that Ganbare Goemon 2 translation is coming along fine!
http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.p ... #msg373019
Necronom

Post by Necronom »

https://youtu.be/AAjkJJiWTps

Upcoming "Cyber Shadow", looking ace I think:-)
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Interesting to see Yacht Club "picking up" this one. We've had some talk about it before, and I've been following it on Twitter for a few years, mostly due to the amazing looking pixel artwork.