Ninja Gaiden [NES] + R2RKMF: Scrolling Action Monogatari

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
BurlyHeart

Re: Ninja Gaiden [NES] + Scrolling Action Monogatari

Post by BurlyHeart »

Opinions on the Earthworm Jim games?

I remember watching the cartoon amd seeing the game in magazines when I was younger. Is it worth the 3 dollars on gog?
Now known as old man|Burly
YouTube
Shmup Difficulty Lists:
Japan Arcade - To Far Away Times - Perikles
Obscura

Post by Obscura »

I've only played the first. It sucks.
mycophobia

Post by mycophobia »

I played both of the SNES games as a kid a lot and loved them to death. They have their flaws and some of their stages can be pretty tedious to play (lorenzen's soil, all the andy's asteroids) but they look and sound great. As far as the GOG version goes, you might want to check out that top review on its shop page. May be better off emulating.
drauch

Post by drauch »

Leviathan wrote:Opinions on the Earthworm Jim games?

I remember watching the cartoon amd seeing the game in magazines when I was younger. Is it worth the 3 dollars on gog?
They're mainly just humorous. I definitely wouldn't call the gameplay good, especially in the action department.

Second one skips most of the sidescrolling for various stages that involve bouncing dogs and avoiding pinball bumpers as a blind cave salamander.
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

The Earthworm Jim games are memorable and interesting. Not really good games at all no. They have pretty much all of the western platformer tropes, from the repetitive level design, hard-to-discern platforms or hitboxes, and pointless gimmicks.
They aren't so bad I would advise against playing them, but don't expect anything from them aside from dumb humor.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

I have my childhood boxed SNES copy of 2 here and replayed it recently and I didn't have a lot of fun while doing so. The level design just didn't feel satisfying. It's pretty though, I usually pop it in whenever I have a new crt monitor in my hands
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
BurlyHeart

Post by BurlyHeart »

Thanks guys. Money is really tight, so I'll pass on it for now. Think I'll get Zero Ranger instead.
YouTube
Shmup Difficulty Lists:
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

I am playing the Pang! titles. I have 1-CC'ed the first one and somehow 1-LC'ed the second one (Super Pang!).
I would lie if I say that I am tempted to playing them again, especially Super.
Basically, on most plays I would get stuck on some stages and drop several lives, throw a tantrum and re-start.
The 1-CC's came from few credits in which I was in a state of grace (hard to reach, when playing games at night...).

I am practicing the third one, and I was wondering if anyone would like to share thoughts on the series as a whole.
Although the "raw" results are there, I feel like I am playing them the wrong way.
Does anyone know how the rank works, from title to title?

I mostly played them for survival, exploiting any stage designs that facilitated easy and quick clears.
On the first one, I even risked a 1-LC, only to drop 7 lives on the last stage...(and the 1-CC became a relief, not a pleasure).
Chomsky, Buckminster Fuller, Yunus and Glass would have played Battle Garegga, for sure.
Marc

Post by Marc »

I played the most recent, Pang Adventures. Was fun to start with, but as the game progresses the stages become increasingly rigid - they normally feature a power up that is essentially the key to completing that screen, especially if you want to hit the target score. Not sure if the earlier games were like that, only really have experience of drunken two player on MAME.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Leviathan wrote:Thanks guys. Money is really tight, so I'll pass on it for now. Think I'll get Zero Ranger instead.
Holy shit I love the first Jim but that is
A no brainer!

It's awesome.
My lord, I have come for you.
BurlyHeart

Post by BurlyHeart »

I guess it was just the price opportunity of getting EJ1&2 for 3 bucks, but given the praise Zero Ranger has been getting, I guess it should be a no brainer :oops: :lol:
YouTube
Shmup Difficulty Lists:
Jonny2x4

Post by Jonny2x4 »

I've been into a Namco fix lately, so I've bought Namco Museum Vol. 4 and 5 from the PS Store recently. They weren't even on sale or anything. I already had a physical version of Vol. 2 from years ago and wanted to get the rest of the collection, but these last two are so ridiculously expensive secondhand (at least the NTSC-U/C versions) since they had small print runs compared to the earlier volumes (Vol. 1 and 3 on the other hand are dirt common since they got reprinted with new case art when they started doing compilations on other consoles). I'm guessing they took all the criticism from western game journos at the time seriously, since I remember rags like EGM and Game Players whining about how the PS1 Namco Museums had too many "obscure" games. so they only reprinted the volumes containing games that Burgerland Boomers would recognize such as Ms. Pac-Man (which isn't even a real Namco game), Dig Dug and Galaga, which is also what they included in the later N64 and Dreamcast compilations that they outsourced to Mass Media.

Which is a shame because the PS1 Namco Museums were precisely the most appealing to me since they not only had games that were big hits in Japan (including previously unlocalized stuff like The Genji & Heike Clans and The Legend of Valkyrie), but also due to the fact that they were actual virtual museums with scans of paraphernalia related to each game (e.g. flyers, instruction cards, pop cards and even the actual PCBs the games were printed on), whereas the later Museums were just the games on an emulator, even if the scan quality is laughable by today's standards.

Assault is pretty awesome by the way. I wonder if the top-down stages of Contra III were inspired by that game.
Last edited by Jonny2x4 on Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Jonny2x4 wrote: Assault is pretty awesome by the way. I wonder if the top-down stages of Contra III were inspired by that game.
I played Assault in an arcade cab at Crabtowne. That twin stick setup is nice.
Jonny2x4

Post by Jonny2x4 »

Yeah, it feels like a cooler top-down version of Atari's Battlezone, which makes me wonder if it was any inspiration. Playing with the default controls (in which you use the d-pad to control the left treads and the face buttons to control the right treads) feels a bit odd and it doesn't seem to support dual analog on the DualShock unfortunately. I wonder if the original disc version supported the dual flight stick.

Here's a link to Micom BASIC's coverage of the game by the way. Gundam's Kunio Okawara was responsible for the tank designs.
https://archive.org/details/mycom-basic ... /page/n255
Last edited by Jonny2x4 on Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

Marc: the first two Pang titles definitely have platform-oriented stages in which you must destroy balls in a given sequence. Power-ups are not so crucial, but rigidity becomes an issue on those stages.

More specifically...

In Pang, some stages have simple layouts, so all you need to do is to have a good grasp on how to handle the destruction of balls, whether you want to score or survive. Some stages have complex layouts, so you need to know what to do. The only useful power-ups are the shield and the sand-clock, which lowers the rank for a few seconds. The double harpoon is useful, but a bit slow; the hook is useless if you do not quickly destroy balls with it (you cannot shoot another one if the hook does not destroy anything); the machine gun only destroys balls directly over your head.

Super Pang feels like a rushed-up sequel: the programmers probably decided to make the game harder by having a slightly bigger and slower sprite, and more aggressive enemies. The rank system seems really poorly balanced. I am not entirely sure about the conditions, but you may be able to keep the rank down even if you never die and play very well.

You can also have runs in which the game does not get any easier even if you drop lives continuously. Sand-clocks become fundamental: you want to lower the rank on a constant basis. On top of that, item dropping is inconsistent: on the play I 1-lifed the game, I kept receiving shields and sand-clocks like it was Christmas or something. On other plays, the game would not give me few or no power-ups from stage 20 onwards...

I am playing Pang! 3 now, and I need to say that it is ugly (mid-'90s pseudo 3D characters with 2D backgrounds, elevator music in the background) but has a faster, more compelling game system. Most stages have a quick and efficient way to be "solved", and the characters are generally faster and more powerful.

Overall, these are fun games, but if you want consistency in your plays, you will need a lot of patience, because there are tons of variables that can suddenly obliterate a play (and your patience...). Too bad, really.

Jonny: Assault is a really nice game. You do need to learn how to use the long-range bombing attack, though, so I imagine that using a different control set-up requires considerable patience...I always *adored* the OST, as I think that it captures the atmosphere of "battle on a faraway, mysterious planet" really well (courtesy of Shinji Hosoe). Random irrelevant factoid: I listened to the OST while reading Les citees obscures, a Franco-belgian comic series by Benoit and Peeters, and I found it to be a perfect fit because of the otherwordly yet familiar feeling (OK, too lazy to check the French layout for the keyboard, whence the missing accents...).
Chomsky, Buckminster Fuller, Yunus and Glass would have played Battle Garegga, for sure.
wiNteR

Post by wiNteR »

Bit of an update. More than an year ago, I cleared both (i) tiger road and (ii) ninja spirit. Both games are quite good and also allow for multiple playthroughs (by placing more restrictions etc.).

I think I was a bit lucky with the clear on (ii) because I got it much earlier than I expected. This was mainly because of the last boss (cleared it on 4th or 5th attempt after reaching it in a full run). For example, I was expecting to reach the last boss a few dozen (or even more!) times on full runs (before being able to clear the game). This was because of my poor consistency on the final boss. Usually the descent towards the end is mentioned more, but it is much easier to get more consistent on it with some practice.

Quite recently, I am playing (i) again with second stage start. Obviously it is somewhat harder than a first stage start (also been thinking about no-miss clear from first stage start).

This is a good thing with both games that you have fairly natural restrictions that you can play with (also true for a number of other games though). For (i), the restrictions are obvious. But still:
-- clear from higher stage starts
-- full run without getting the power-ups between stages
Also a further restriction could be to get no-miss clears alongside previous restrictions (not fully sure whether it is always possible ..... can only tell after playing).

For (ii), the restrictions are slightly less obvious, so I will also mention them:
-- no use of bullet cancel weapons (only shuriken and dynamite)
-- clear without ghosts power-up (shadows of the main character)

Not sure when I will get around to all of them. But at least the easier ones are quite approachable with fairly relaxed practice.

Also been thinking about playing/clearing Mr.Gimmick at some point. Also, a lot of other games that have been on the "to play" list (tbh for a number of years). It will take quite some time to even get around to a good percentage of them.

Edit:
Regarding list of games, here is one I posted number of years ago:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=43039&p=838577#p838577

I left out a few (arcade) titles there from the list I made. Also made a similar list for NES games too (with a few genesis/SNES games too), but lost the lists.
Here are couple of more games:
viewtopic.php?p=1193971#p1193971

The specific threads, generally, might also be of some interest.
Last edited by wiNteR on Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

For Tiger Road, I believe that a 1-CC from the fourth stage becomes hard. The final boss can be killed by brute force with at least the most basic power, if I recall correctly (Extra energy?). A 1-LC from any stage is also a good challenge; I recall never reaching it, so I may as well as go back to this title, almost 30 years after playing it (!). Ninja Spirit is on my bucket list, too...

I am wondering if anyone would be willing to compile a list of "arcade titles to to 1-CC before you die" or something. I am in a phase of my life in which I have time and patience to go back and tackle the many titles I left out or left partially unexplored, back in the day [/nostalgia theme playing in the background].
copy-paster

Post by copy-paster »

Gonna take Contra: Shattered Soldier a practice soon, the training mode is helpful too.

"FOR DEEP ACTION GAMERS!"
Obscura

Post by Obscura »

Ninja Spirit with no sword or chain sounds like it would be absolutely no fun at all. Why would you do that to yourself?
Vanguard

Post by Vanguard »

Obscura wrote:Ninja Spirit with no sword or chain sounds like it would be absolutely no fun at all. Why would you do that to yourself?
It sounds super rough, but I'd be interested in seeing how it plays out. The chain's cancelling is so powerful that you almost never have to dodge a projectile. You barely have to think about them. Just keep twirling it around, you'll be fine.
__SKYe

Post by __SKYe »

After putting it off for a long time, finally cleared Gekisha Boy (PCE) (using continues, for now).
For those not familiar with it, the gameplay can best be described as a variant of Cabal (& friends) mixed with an auto side-scrolling game. You control both your character and the camera lens, much like in Cabal, but the level is constantly scrolling to the right, and you can also jump (besides taking a picture, which besides being the main mechanic of the game, also clears projectiles/hazards, also like in Cabal). Though at first it may seem like it isn't quite an action game, you actually have to plenty of jumping, dodging and the like, all the while trying to take pictures of special moments/events at specific times.

The game basically boils down to: you're given a mission (of which there are 9 plus a final "battle"), which entails taking a picture of a specific event during that stage, while also reaching a set score. There are no lives to speak of; if you fail a mission, you have to redo it, and your score is also reset. You have to essentially no-miss to get a 1CC.
You start each level with some film rolls and each picture you take decrements the amount by one. You can get more during the levels, by shooting some types of scenes/persons, which drop an item, also Cabal-style. Getting hit by an obstacle will decrement your stock by 5, and if you run out the stage ends soon after, and you're graded by whatever points and shots you have taken (usually not enough to pass the mission).

It isn't too hard of a game, though it does pose some difficulty, especially on the later missions. Starting at mission 3~4, you'll want to start shooting at some of the obstacles, and indeed, on the museum stage you'll have to, as it spawns some flies/bees that will follow you around relentelessly.
As for the photos themselves, you can usually take photos at most of the stuff/people that appear on-screen, but the shots you really want to get, are when something specific happens. For example, on the Ghetto stage, you can shoot some of the windows of the houses, which will open them and trigger an animation. One of them is a woman in the middle of changing clothes, and while you can immediatelly take a shot at her, if you wait a bit she'll let out a scream and if you take the shot then, you'll get more points and an item (I believe, not quite sure). The entire game is stuffed with things like these, and most of them are pretty damn funny.

So, mechanically the game is pretty well made and is quite fun, but where it sets itself apart from any other, is in it's weirdness/humour. There are plenty of funny things to see, but the best are the references to pop/music/movies (and some copyrighted) material. I won't speak of them so as to not ruin the surprise for whoever wishes to play the game, but I'll put some of them in spoilers.
Spoiler
Marylin Monroe famous skirt shot

Spoiler
Indian sort-of scalping a white guy

Spoiler
An airplane causes the Staue of Liberty's skirt to fly up

Spoiler
Very politically correct language

Spoiler
When you first take a shot at a whale, it reveals Pinocchio inside

Spoiler
Moai statue from Gradius shooting a ring

Spoiler
Spiderman (and the lady changing her clothes I mentioned earlier)

Spoiler
The Terminator (after you shoot a picture of him, he'll transform into the robot)

ImageImage
Spoiler
Michael Jackson, first moonwalking, and then dancing like in Thriller

ImageImage
I guess if the weirdness itself didn't prevent the game from being released overseas (assuming there was even a slight interest), some of this stuff surely would. :lol:

The 10th, and final mission, is actually a mini game of sorts; it's like whack-a-mole, but you use the cursor to take pictures of your boss (he's the final boss apparently). There's a score target for this one, but the developers missed a very important point: there's no limit to the amount of shots you can take (unlike in the standard levels), and each shot you take freezes the screen for a second, so you can simply spam the shot button to play the whole segment in quasi-slowmotion and easily win.
Well, this is more of a victory lap than anything anyway, so it's no big deal.

At the end of the game, your boss will give you a license, which I assume is some kind of a final grade (I got B, since I used continues).

Very fun game and somewhat short too, so it never outstays its welcome. :wink:

(BIL, if this game is a no-no for the thread, as usual, please let me know).
Last edited by __SKYe on Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Nice, that's one of my longest-standing "will get around to someday" games. :o I really got into IREM's HuCard ports a few years back (Ninja Spirit, Tonma, Vigilante), but put their sole original scrolling action project off for later. Will have to do something about that. I think it's their only original for the platform, anyway... bit rusty atm.
__SKYe wrote:(BIL, if this game is a no-no for the thread, as usual, please let me know).
tbh I was never entirely sure what sort of game it actually was (the aesthetic always brought to mind the Mega CD's point/click thingy Switch), but a sidescroller with Cabal shooting sounds bang-on for this thread. :mrgreen: I'm trying to remember if there's any others... Dick Tracy (MD) comes to mind, though it's more of an accessory mechanic there, if memory serves.

I've been a bit AWOL lately, but having plugged in my USB pad for the first time in a while, I very briefly tried out the PCE-CD port of Downtown Nekketsu Koushinkyoku (FC). This is the athletics-themed followup to Downtown Nekketsu Monogatari / River City Ransom.

Normally I wouldn't bother just yet, with my still not being 100% about even the original. Lots to like there, especially if you enjoy the FC Nekketsu aesthetic, but a few things leave me cold. I find it particularly jarring how your character's dash has to be re-input as they spawn into new scenes, while the CPU players rocket away at full speed. Makes me appreciate the simple joy of motoring through Monogatari and Jidaigeki's locales. The CPUs' pathfinding will occasionally screw up, too - if you're not playing with three friends, there's a small chance you'll end up waiting out the clock as the AI flubs a jump or runs into a wall ad infinitum (AFAIK, there's no way to scene skip once all human players are through).

I'm a huge style fan of this quasi-series, so even at their edgiest I'll still try to like 'em. For now I've stuck with just the two dedicated brawlers, Monogatari and Jidaigeki. Neither's a very serious example of the genre, of course, nor are they single-session geared, but for an afternoon's casual brawling they're serviceable enough and stylistically inimitable. Koushinkyoku's actually a good deal arcadier with the short, relentless course, making me want to persist.

As to the CD version - I think I subconsciously dread FC->PCE ports, on account of the resounding dud that is PCE Ninja Ryukenden. But at a glance KID seem to have turned in a respectfully straight translation, with the easily-ignored embellishment of CD voiceovers. Having said that, I was actually curious as to whether the port might've addressed the dash and scene skip issues above. Seems not, guess they've got to be put up with. I'll probably stick to the FC version for now. I've quite the weakness for the superdeformed brutality Technos wrought from the FC's technical limitations.
Vanguard

Post by Vanguard »

Been playing a few fangames and romhacks lately.

First is Rockman 4 Minus Infinity. I had heard good things about it and it absolutely lives up to its reputation. Very impressive in many ways. The basic premise is the same as Rockman 4, Dr. Cossack created 8 robot masters and you have to take them down. The stages have been totally redone and are very memorable, fast-paced, and challenging. One of the Wily stages is even a Metroid-like with an automap and collectible items and everything - it's almost a game unto itself.

The bosses are much more dangerous than they were in Megaman 4, with totally new AI and abilities. Toad Man is particularly brutal. Lots of people, myself included, like to start with him in Megaman 4, but Ring Man is your safest bet in R4MI. One of the nicest changes is that robot masters don't inflict contact damage while they're in mercy invincibility, similar to the NES Batman game. It helps a ton and makes the boss fights feel far more proactive than they are in the real Megaman games. Every robot master should have been like that from the start.

The robot master weapons are also massively improved. Dive Man gives you a much better version of Metal Blade. Dust Man gives you a vacuum that can eat enemies and convert items into other items. Some characters give permanent upgrades when vacuumed, and you can even kill Eddie with it, though he's actually very helpful in this game. Toad Man gives you the Toad spell from Final Fantasy. After turning enemies into toads you can step on them to kill them. It works on Toad Man himself in his late game rematch, and you even get a bonus to your endgame score if you defeat him by transforming him and leave without stomping him. He'll show up briefly, still transformed, in the ending. There are tons of cool little hidden things like that.

I can only think of two things I consider to be serious flaws in Rockman 4 Minus Infinity. First is that you have access to the Rush Search from Megaman 7, but it's ridiculously overpowered. The sheer number of 1ups it gives you all but guarantee a 1CC even if you die constantly. The second flaw is the Wily Capsule fight at the end of the game. He's got twice the normal amount of HP, no real weakness to any weapon, and a ridiculous amount of firepower. His pattern is completely nonrandom so it's feasible to beat him through rote memorization, but I'd rather just break my no E-tank conduct.

Overall though, highly recommended!

I also played through a Megaman 2 clone called MegaMari. It's based on an obscure doujin series that none of you have ever heard of. Anyway, the story is that Patchouli built a fortress around her library to prevent Marisa from stealing her books and Marisa has recruited Alice to thwart Patchouli's plan. You can switch between both characters at will and each has her own life meter. Marisa has the buster from Megaman 2, Alice has a weak piercing laser that is good against the Prismriver sisters and nothing else.

For each boss you beat, you choose which character gets her weapon. Alice and Marisa get different weapons and some are very powerful so it wouldn't be a bad idea to look up who gets which weapons in advance. Definitely make sure to give Sakuya's weapon to Marisa so you get the time stop instead of the throwing knives. Probably the next most important is to give Youmu's weapon to Alice as it's both a very solid weapon and the weakness of a boss Alice has to fight solo.

The levels are nowhere near as wildly inventive and memorable as the ones in Rockman 4 Minus Infinity, but they're perfectly fine. They're harder than the NES Megaman games though not by a huge amount. They tried to maintain the danmaku spirit of the original games and had mixed success. The large numbers of enemies and bullets flying around keep things far more engaging than the real Megaman games, but I'm still not quite sure exactly where your characters' hitboxes are and Alice's laser has hit detection issues. Boss fights tend to be pretty hectic with tons of projectiles, but not too much harder than Megaman robot masters since the bosses tend to have low health and you've got two life bars.

It's solid, give it a shot if you like Megaman 2.

The third platformer I played recently is a Castlevania romhack called Castlevania: The Holy Relics but I didn't care for that one. Compared to the original there are a lot more pits and a lot more respawning pest enemies, but still an overall lower difficulty. Most rooms have locked doors and you have to wander around hitting candles until you find the one with the key in it. You can choose which order to do the stages in except for the final stage. Each boss drops a holy relic which is sort of an alternate subweapon. You start with the screen-clearing rosary, Death drops a coffee mug that heals you and is probably the best item. Most of the others seemed to be buff items of some sort or another. Anyway it wasn't terrible but I can't think of any reason to play it when you could just play Castlevania again.
Randorama wrote:I am wondering if anyone would be willing to compile a list of "arcade titles to to 1-CC before you die" or something. I am in a phase of my life in which I have time and patience to go back and tackle the many titles I left out or left partially unexplored, back in the day [/nostalgia theme playing in the background].
I'd definitely be interested in seeing everyone's most recommended games lists around here. I'm sure some of you still know of quality platformers that haven't been mentioned in the thread. Here's my recommended platformer list:
Spoiler
Must play

Cadash (AC or bust)
Castlevania
Castlevania: Bloodlines
Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia
Castlevania: Rondo of Blood
Contra (NES)
Daimakaimura/Ghouls 'n Ghosts
Dragon Fighter
Gimmick!
Kirby's Dream Land (Normal mode is boring but extra game is superb)
Kirby Super Star Ultra
Koumajou Densetsu 2 (The first one has serious problems, but is still worth checking out for its amazing extra stage)
Ninja Gaiden
Maldita Castilla
Megaman X
Megaman X2
Megaman Zero series
Saigo no Nindo/Ninja Spirit
Spelunky
Super Mario World
Umihara Kawase (I am less familiar with the sequels but I hear good things)
Ys Origin
Ys: The Oath in Felghana
Zelda 2: The Adventure of Link

Also recommended

Actraiser
Actraiser 2
Alien Soldier
Alisia Dragoon
Assault Suits Valken
Bubble Bobble
Castlevania 3: Dracula's Curse
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
Contra 3
Contra Hard Corps
Donkey Kong (GB)
Faxanadu
Ganbare Goemon 2 (Good for easy co-op)
Gunstar Heroes
Holy Diver
Holy Umbrella: Dondera no Mubou!! (Lots of text but has a fan translation)
Iji
Kirby's Adventure
Magical Pop'n
Majuu Ou
Megaman 2
Megaman 3
Megaman 4
Megaman World 5
MegaMari
Momodora: Reverie in the Moonlight
Rainbow Islands
Rockman 4 Minus Infinity
Shinobi 3: The Return of the Ninja Master
Shadow of the Ninja
Shovel Knight
Super C
Super Mario Bros. 2
Super Mario Bros. 3
The Battle of Olympus
The Curse of Issyos
The Revenge of Shinobi
Volgarr the Viking
Vs. Super Mario Bros.
Yoshi's Island
Wonder Boy in Monster World
Some of the games in that second list I haven't played in years and I don't know if I'd like them as much if I played them now. But I figure in this case more is more.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Randorama wrote:
I am wondering if anyone would be willing to compile a list of "arcade titles to to 1-CC before you die" or something.
This is a great idea. Just arcade side scrollers or any genre? Between everyone here we could compile a pretty definitive list.
My lord, I have come for you.
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

Stevens wrote:
Randorama wrote:
I am wondering if anyone would be willing to compile a list of "arcade titles to to 1-CC before you die" or something.
This is a great idea. Just arcade side scrollers or any genre? Between everyone here we could compile a pretty definitive list.
I would even say shmups, since the site is officially about this genre :wink:

I am at a phase of my life in which I have enough time to play games for the 1-CC, even though I need to go at a slow pace. Knowing what is still missing to my bucket list would be great.
Vanguard

Post by Vanguard »

Randorama wrote:I would even say shmups, since the site is officially about this genre :wink:

I am at a phase of my life in which I have enough time to play games for the 1-CC, even though I need to go at a slow pace. Knowing what is still missing to my bucket list would be great.
Surely you're aware of the annual top 25 shmups of all time lists?
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

Vanguard wrote:
Surely you're aware of the annual top 25 shmups of all time lists?

I am not sure that I understand your comment. I mean: the top 25 by default gives us a list of shmups that deserve being 1-CC'ed, but we could also mention which other titles beyond those 25 are worth the the quest (...or we could just copy and paste the "honourable mention" list?).

I am thinking of a multi-genre list, or even just a list of arcade titles worth going for the 1-CC, and the corresponding sessions of pain with them :wink:
Leandro

Post by Leandro »

Randorama wrote:For Tiger Road

I am wondering if anyone would be willing to compile a list of "arcade titles to to 1-CC before you die" or something. [/nostalgia theme playing in the background].
I would trust your input on that matter, Rando. I remember your 1cc stories about Truxton, Battle Garegga, Giga Wing.
Vanguard

Post by Vanguard »

Randorama wrote:I am not sure that I understand your comment. I mean: the top 25 by default gives us a list of shmups that deserve being 1-CC'ed, but we could also mention which other titles beyond those 25 are worth the the quest (...or we could just copy and paste the "honourable mention" list?).

I am thinking of a multi-genre list, or even just a list of arcade titles worth going for the 1-CC, and the corresponding sessions of pain with them :wink:
I should have posted the full list of results. 337 games listed in order of how highly the shmups farm thinks of them. As for difficulty, here's a list of shmups ranked by difficulty by some Japanese players, and here's another one Perikles.

This thread might well be the best place one could ask for a definitive list of platformers. For other genres, you'd be better off starting a new thread.
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

Leandro: I am beginning to forget games I played, so my own list would look patchy, right now (I am actually working on it!). I would also be happy to see people's arguments for including games in such a list. I remember adoring Taito's Crime City as a kid (and 1-CC'ing it), but maybe my taste as a child was poor (ah!).

Vanguard: I agree on platformers. Maybe if a good soul would also compile a list, "the community as a whole would vastly benefit from the endeavour" (ahem). We could certainly use other threads for other genres, too. At some point, a general list could simple be created by having a thread linking to the specific lists, even. I am just wondering if everyone would agree that Night Raid and Crime City are worth 1-CC'ing, though. Maybe we could just say that love knows no boundaries, and as long as a title is listed, the 1-CC is well-deserved (well, what can I say? I am not nitpicky!).