Ninja Gaiden [NES] + R2RKMF: Scrolling Action Monogatari

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
cicada88

Re: Ninja Gaiden [NES] + Scrolling Action Monogatari

Post by cicada88 »

Very nice, never really watched the arcade version before

the birth of the Ninja Puppy Action genre
__SKYe

Post by __SKYe »

Obscura wrote:The fire pillar spacing is based on your distance from Dracula. There's no reason to ever get hit in the first form.
FinalBaton wrote:yeah i never get hit by first form, so my experience is quite different from _SKYe's!

(I personally thought that the distance between pillar was calculated by the amount of ground you cover during a certain timing though. I go far back and walk towards him and that works nicely. I'll try just standing still, far way.)
Ah, okay, thanks for the hints. I had my suspicions that the tight pillars seemed to appear when I stood still for too long, but I haven't fought him that many times to actually have a proper strategy for him.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

__SKYe wrote:Ah, okay, thanks for the hints. I had my suspicions that the tight pillars seemed to appear when I stood still for too long, but I haven't fought him that many times to actually have a proper strategy for him.
about the 3rd form : I now beat him pretty easily by standing at the sides and throwing axes but... I kinda feel cheap fpr not using the moving platforms :? Oh well. I think that in a no-death run, I'll keep doing what I do, and in casual plays I'll practice beating him without sub-weapons.
Last edited by FinalBaton on Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

mycophobia wrote:Finally got my no death run on Shadow Dancer arcade on the hardest mode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dBu5M2T1KE

I guess the next step would be no death no ninja magic but eh....that will come much later if at all. There's a couple of points in the game I'm not sure if it's even possible to get past without ninja magic on hardest difficulty (end of 2-3 comes to mind).

I've decided this game is better than Shinobi. It looks better, sounds better, it's harder, and it doesn't have a total bullshit completely luck-based third boss.
Awesome! good work. Watched a bit and will finish watching it later

SEGA AESTHETICS. That's gotta be the coolest grafitty I've ever seen. I think I'll be writing that in bathroom stalls from now on.
Last edited by FinalBaton on Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Jonny2x4

Post by Jonny2x4 »

mycophobia wrote:I've decided this game is better than Shinobi. It looks better, sounds better, it's harder, and it doesn't have a total bullshit completely luck-based third boss.
I never quite understood how you're supposed to beat those Mandala statues either. They always mess my no-miss runs of Shinobi. I get the impression that the game makes the boss fight easier when you lose a life, although it's probably just me.

My only gripe with AC Shadow Dancer is the fact it's a bit harder to measure the melee distance of your attacks if you're going for a no-shuriken run. It was much easier to determine the melee distance in AC Shinobi.
mycophobia

Post by mycophobia »

Jonny2x4 wrote:
mycophobia wrote:I've decided this game is better than Shinobi. It looks better, sounds better, it's harder, and it doesn't have a total bullshit completely luck-based third boss.
I never quite understood how you're supposed to beat those Mandala statues either. They always mess my no-miss runs of Shinobi. I get the impression that the game makes the boss fight easier when you lose a life, although it's probably just me.
No it definitely does exactly this; the statues take less hits the more lives you lose against them. It's literally impossible to do the mandaras without the glitch on the first life, and the glitch as far as I can tell is never guaranteed. A frustrating, baffling design decision in what should be a flawless game.
My only gripe with AC Shadow Dancer is the fact it's a bit harder to measure the melee distance of your attacks if you're going for a no-shuriken run. It was much easier to determine the melee distance in AC Shinobi.
Totally agreed. Often I've tried to melee a ninja only to throw an ineffective shuriken, then get killed when he runs into me.
__SKYe

Post by __SKYe »

FinalBaton wrote:about the 3rd form : I now beat him pretty easily by standing at the sides and throwing axes but... I kinda feel cheap fpr not using the moving platforms :? Oh well. I think that in a no-death run, I'll keep doing what I do, and in casual plays I'll practice beating him without sub-weapons.
I don't think I ever reached Dracula with the Axe (can you get it in the final stage?)
I can also beat the 3rd form rather easily by staying at the side and riding a platform as it passes by me, and throwing a cross at him. You just have to time the platform riding (and leaving it) a bit, so that you can do it in between his beams/lasers. This is a fairly long-winded strategy, as you have to wait for the platforms to return to the ground and to spawn again each time, and it was how I lost against him once by timeout (each cross hit does 1HP of damage but it hits twice, so it takes 8 cross throws to kill him). :lol:

Without using sub-weapons shouldn't be too hard either -- essentially the same strategy, but whipping him twice per platform ride, to maintain the same damage output. It requires somewhat more skill, but should be pretty doable.

Overall Dracula's fairly simple to beat, despite the long fight, but all 3 fights are pretty fun either way.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Sumez wrote:Considering people are consistently speedrunning that game I'm pretty sure it can be avoided consistently. I can't find any info on it though.
I know a few glitches were fixed for the JP and EU versions of Battletoads.

A beatable Mandara is probably the only thing the SMS version of Shinobi does better than the arcade. I'm not sure of M2's emulation for Wii fixes Mandara. Too bad Mandara's stage didn't get a parody in Alex Kidd in Shinobi World. A version of the boss shaped like Bandora from Zyuranger would be hilarious.

edit: Looks like stage 2 in Alex Kidd in Shinobi World parodies both Mandara and Black Turtle with its "Heli" boss.
Last edited by BrianC on Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

__SKYe wrote:I don't think I ever reached Dracula with the Axe (can you get it in the final stage?)
I can also beat the 3rd form rather easily by staying at the side and riding a platform as it passes by me, and throwing a cross at him. You just have to time the platform riding (and leaving it) a bit, so that you can do it in between his beams/lasers. This is a fairly long-winded strategy, as you have to wait for the platforms to return to the ground and to spawn again each time, and it was how I lost against him once by timeout (each cross hit does 1HP of damage but it hits twice, so it takes 8 cross throws to kill him). :lol:

Without using sub-weapons shouldn't be too hard either -- essentially the same strategy, but whipping him twice per platform ride, to maintain the same damage output. It requires somewhat more skill, but should be pretty doable.

Overall Dracula's fairly simple to beat, despite the long fight, but all 3 fights are pretty fun either way.
Yeah, there's an axe after the last spawn point! (just before the pendulum bit). Well in the US version at least.

For killing 3rd form with the vampire-killer only : When riding the platforms, I often end up jumping in the holes while trying to dodge the lazers. Or when jump-slashing. Or I get carried by the other platform that's going the other direction, and that confuses the hell outta me. Messes up my timing. I'll also have to pay attention to which of the 3 spots the laser comes from. Is it a constant rotation? (meaning : can I anticipate it?)

I'll keep your tips in mind, thanks
__SKYe wrote:You just have to time the platform riding (and leaving it) a bit, so that you can do it in between his beams/lasers.
I do have this part down, so that's a good start
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
__SKYe

Post by __SKYe »

FinalBaton wrote:Yeah, there's an axe after the last spawn point! (just before the pendulum bit). Well in the US version at least.
An okay, I'll check later, to see if the JP version also has it. I'm just got used to pick up the cross right before Dracula. :wink:
FinalBaton wrote:I'll also have to pay attention to which of the 3 spots the laser comes from. Is it a constant rotation? (meaning : can I anticipate it?)
I can't recall if it's a perfect rotation (ie. left-hand, right-hand, head) but I do believe there is a pattern to it and it is not random. Will have to confirm later.
FinalBaton wrote:I do have this part down, so that's a good start
What I try to do, is to wait for the platform to get close to you, and jump on it after he has fired a laser, quickly jump to throw a cross, and wait on the platform for a bit more, so that he'll fire his next beam, and I can jump off the platform to avoid it.
It's nothing special really, I just prefer to avoid having to dodge the lasers while in the platforms, so as to not fall into a pit.

Perhaps no sub-weapons is harder than I first thought -- you can't waste too much time playing it safe (assuming your whip does 1HP per hit), but you also have to be careful to not get hit too much, since his attacks are pretty heavy (4HP per hit, I think?). Definitely requires more skill and focus than the cross/axe way.
Obscura

Post by Obscura »

There is a pattern to the lasers, but it's more complex than a simple rotation. It's Head, left, right, left, head, right, left, right.

If you want to do it whip-only, get used to standing on the back edge of the platforms and jumping forward while whipping so that you jump with them. Jumping straight up risks landing in a pit.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

__SKYe wrote:Perhaps no sub-weapons is harder than I first thought -- you can't waste too much time playing it safe (assuming your whip does 1HP per hit), but you also have to be careful to not get hit too much, since his attacks are pretty heavy (4HP per hit, I think?). Definitely requires more skill and focus than the cross/axe way.
Thanks. Yeah no-subweapon is quite a bit harder! And I agree : it's a VERY fun, well thought out end-boss battle
Obscura wrote:There is a pattern to the lasers, but it's more complex than a simple rotation. It's Head, left, right, left, head, right, left, right.

If you want to do it whip-only, get used to standing on the back edge of the platforms and jumping forward while whipping so that you jump with them. Jumping straight up risks landing in a pit.
Thanks for the info, that's appreciated
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

soprano1 wrote:http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=26114
What do you guys think of this Castlevania HD pack?
Anyone? Sorry for insisting. :oops:
ChurchOfSolipsism wrote:I'll make sure I'll download it illegally one day...
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
(sorry soprano, I haven't tried that one :( )

Played a bit of Streets of Rage 1 and 2 and something in the gameplay caught my attention.
The back attack seems more responsive, and leaves you less vulnerable, in SoR 1. Did any of you guys notice this?

My little theory as to why that is, is that the move was nerfed in SoR 2, to compensate for the new "special lite" (Grand Uppah! and the likes) that you are now given and can use whenever you like without penalty. So, to not make you OP, they nerfed that. Am I in tinfoil-hat territory now? Maybe they just programmed it sloppy, IDK. But that would surprise me, since the gameplay is otherwise airtight.

Man, I've always proclaimed SoR 2 my fave, but sometimes I think I might like SoR 1 even a little bit more... There's something so gritty and immediate/gripping about this one. Like you can feel it in your guts, ya know? I'll be playing SoR 1 more in the next week(s) or so
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
dojo_b

Post by dojo_b »

For me, the big takeaway here is that there was an official 2002 port of Akumajou Dracula for JP cell phones (with later improvements here, here). That's fantastic.

Will flip-phone game emulation serve Castlevania completionists' holy mandate? Some relevant discussion here, although I'm not sure this game fell within the J2ME framework.
Last edited by dojo_b on Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

dojo_b wrote:Will flip-phone game emulation serve Castlevania completionists' holy mandate? Some relevant discussion here, although I'm not sure this game fell within the J2ME framework.
That seems an interesting topic, discussion might be better here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=48280
That being said, some things will inevitably be lost forever someday, despite efforts to preserve them.
__SKYe

Post by __SKYe »

soprano1 wrote:
soprano1 wrote:http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=26114
What do you guys think of this Castlevania HD pack?
Anyone? Sorry for insisting. :oops:
It's pretty cool, they really nailed the mobile game vibe. I still prefer the original 8-bit graphics, though. :wink:
FinalBaton wrote:Played a bit of Streets of Rage 1 and 2 and something in the gameplay caught my attention.
The back attack seems more responsive, and leaves you less vulnerable, in SoR 1. Did any of you guys notice this?

My little theory as to why that is, is that the move was nerfed in SoR 2, to compensate for the new "special lite" (Grand Uppah! and the likes) that you are now given and can use whenever you like without penalty. So, to not make you OP, they nerfed that. Am I in tinfoil-hat territory now? Maybe they just programmed it sloppy, IDK. But that would surprise me, since the gameplay is otherwise airtight.
I almost never use the back attack, so I honestly have no idea.
I guess the gameplay mechanics probably got a major write-up when being adapted to SOR2 (despite the similar basic movesets, SOR2 playes significantly different), so I wouldn't be surprised if the move got changed as a result of that, rather than an actual attempt to nerf it. Pure speculation, of course, and I guess we'll never know. :lol:
FinalBaton wrote:Man, I've always proclaimed SoR 2 my fave, but sometimes I think I might like SoR 1 even a little bit more... There's something so gritty and immediate/gripping about this one. Like you can feel it in your guts, ya know? I'll be playing SoR 1 more in the next week(s) or so
My man. 8)
I like both (and even the 3rd) very much, though I always think of SOR1 as a separate game from the series altogether. The lack of an available special attack to save you from tough spots (having a single use 'bomb' instead), besides the overall difference in your moveset/mechanics make the game more geared towards the basics, compared to the sequels.
The boss rush in the final stage is a good example of this, as it really tests your skill -- you need to beat every boss without the aid of the specials. I often read online that people consider this very unfair (something akin to Ninja Gaiden's final act), but I actually really enjoy it. It's the "do or die" moment where you really know if you have you boss strategies pat down; otherwise you're going down. :wink:
BIL

Post by BIL »

mycophobia wrote:Finally got my no death run on Shadow Dancer arcade on the hardest mode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dBu5M2T1KE

I guess the next step would be no death no ninja magic but eh....that will come much later if at all. There's a couple of points in the game I'm not sure if it's even possible to get past without ninja magic on hardest difficulty (end of 2-3 comes to mind).

I've decided this game is better than Shinobi. It looks better, sounds better, it's harder, and it doesn't have a total bullshit completely luck-based third boss.
Racking up those arcade no-misses, good job! :smile:

edit: haha, sounds like the MD version ported Yamato's barking sample right over. I'd recognise that anywhere.
Jonny2x4

Post by Jonny2x4 »

soprano1 wrote: That being said, some things will inevitably be lost forever someday, despite efforts to preserve them.
The recent race to download and preserve every piece of downloadable software available on the Wii's eshop before it was shut down just reminded that there was never a serious effort to do the same towards mobile phone games, especially games that were only available on Galapagos phones (I'm particularly interested towards the KonamiNet DX stuff).

I know the mobile versions of Metal Gear 1 & 2 got ported to consoles as part of MGS3: Subsistence, but I still would've liked to try them out for completionist's sake. Likewise, Wai Wai World had a galaphones port that replaced Mikey and King Kong (along with their themed stages) with Upa and Pentaro.
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

Jonny2x4 wrote:The recent race to download and preserve every piece of downloadable software available on the Wii's eshop before it was shut down just reminded that there was never a serious effort to do the same towards mobile phone games, especially games that were only available on Galapagos phones (I'm particularly interested towards the KonamiNet DX stuff).
I did not know there was a race, that's good to know. I liked the Rebirth series by Konami.
mycophobia

Post by mycophobia »

Keima is the worst character in Mystic Warriors, he fuckin sucks. Here's a 1CC with him:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6HK6e3Iz8Q

biggest problem is that his melee attack animation is super slow and you're vulnerable the whole time, and to top that off, its horizontal range is huge so it's really easy to get locked into it by accident.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Wow, I never really considered this, but Ninja Gaiden 1 is totally pulling a "Dracula's Keep":

https://twitter.com/shamoozal/status/984191037676670977
Spoiler
BIL

Post by BIL »

mycophobia wrote:Keima is the worst character in Mystic Warriors, he fuckin sucks. Here's a 1CC with him:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6HK6e3Iz8Q

biggest problem is that his melee attack animation is super slow and you're vulnerable the whole time, and to top that off, its horizontal range is huge so it's really easy to get locked into it by accident.
Nice, kusocharacter/kusoship runs rule. :cool:
Sumez wrote:Wow, I never really considered this, but Ninja Gaiden 1 is totally pulling a "Dracula's Keep":

Very cool! :o I've posted my appreciation of the second half's artistic consistency before (I particularly like how you can see Act 4-1's jungle from Act 5-2's cliffside), but I never noticed how precisely that iconic cutscene mirrors the in-game setting.

On a similar tangent, I like to think the bats hovering around the castle summit in CV1's short intro sequence aren't small ones drawn out of scale, but are in fact the gigantic fuckers who inhabit st6-1. Especially as the small ones don't menacingly hang around like that. :wink:
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018 ... vania-game
YAY!
"mobile game exclusive to Japan."
:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Genya Arikado is the protagonist, and Lucy plays the role of his support. You can also use characters from previous Castlevania games, such as Alucard, (...)
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

Hey Sumez!
Spoiler
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=26164.0
HD packs for Ninja Gaiden I and II, similar to the Castlevania one I posted earlier, but the creator ported the graphics from the Trilogy remake, with fixes to some stuff.
Mortificator

Post by Mortificator »

Sumez wrote:Wow, I never really considered this, but Ninja Gaiden 1 is totally pulling a "Dracula's Keep":

Spoiler
The Ninja Gaiden image is cool, but I have to nitpick the guy on Twitter saying that Ghosts 'n Goblins also does this. Satan doesn't fly out of the castle you see in the stage one background, and the castle you eventually visit in the game is down in the underworld, not sitting on a mountain.

If the castle in the background is supposed to be anything, it's probably supposed to be the princess's.
RegalSin wrote:You can't even drive across the country Naked anymore
mycophobia

Post by mycophobia »

I think I've figured out a way to do Shinobi's stage 3 boss, Mandara, on the first life without using the glitch. The timing is really tight and I have to use autofire to do it but, for me, it's way more consistent than using the glitch. So maybe the hardest fast bullets no miss is closer than I thought. Certainly much less up to chance now.
Vludi

Post by Vludi »

Finally gave Alien Soldier a proper chance and got my first clear in a while. Solid game, my only gripe is that lancer kinda makes the other weapons useless excluding that one boss, phoenix dash is super satisfying though.