Ninja Gaiden [NES] + R2RKMF: Scrolling Action Monogatari

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
BrianC

Re: Ninja Gaiden [NES] + Scrolling Action Monogatari

Post by BrianC »

Finally beat the final boss in NG1. I did use a few continues getting there, though. I also used the model 2 NES (yay RF!) and the actual NES cart.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Congrats, welcome aboard! I'm still regularly gaming on RF too. :cool:
CIT

Post by CIT »

BrianC wrote:yay RF!
BIL wrote:I'm still regularly gaming on RF too. :cool:
:shock:

Let us bathe these infidels in the holy light of RGB so as to save their souls from eternal damnation!!!
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Dr. Birruford! I am happy to see that you are HARD GAMING on the good ol' cathode ray tube Image

I am guessing you are gaming on Famicom, hence the RF. An AV Famicom would be well-worth picking up! composite is a lot less noisy

And getting an RGB mod for your beloved Famicom would also be a well-worth investment! since you gayme so much! t is SO worth it! and since you live on Cuck Island, an RGB crt is not to hard to find, and cheap as chips! (no need to go all PVM gung-ho : a good consumer set with RGB is actually the best picture for gayming IMO!)

I'm telling ya, first time I saw my childhood NES output in RGB over a consumer RGB crt, my dick sploded! :shock: I always thought she was hot, but after the mod I'm looking at her and I'm like DANG!!! *bites lip*

But at the end of the day, what's important is, in order : 1) GAYME, however the rig and 2) added awesomeness if you do it on the good ol' cathode ray tube! no matter the connexion 8)

as lo-fi sound is more kvlt, I guess we could say that low-grade video signal is too 8)
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
BIL

Post by BIL »

Relax gentlemen, I have plenty of RGB options, especially as a proud citizen of Cuck Island! Image

PLS stand for our national anthem

However, when I fire up my childhood NES, which under normal circumstances is unusable due to a combination of natural wear, tropical humidity, and absolutely zero maintenance in 35+yrs, BUT will happily run for days on end provided you remove its top shell and place a stack of bibles atop the cartridge, it's RF all day baybee!
FinalBaton wrote:But at the end of the day, what's important is, in order : 1) GAYME, however the rig and 2) added awesomeness if you do it on the good ol' cathode ray tube! no matter the connexion 8)

as lo-fi sound is more kvlt, I guess we could say that low-grade video signal is too 8)
To me RF will always represent the REAL BURGERLAND FEEL Image Image
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

BIL wrote:To me RF will always represent the REAL BURGERLAND FEEL Image Image
*military salute*

I actually do indulge in composite NES hookup myself from time to time, since the palette varies with each TV's NTSC encoder and it is fun to mess with. On one of my Sony tv I really like the colours it gives out. And it is very nostalgic. I got a 2nd NES just for this, that I picked up back in college, and played many a night on it with buddies after 420 blazing it HARD
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

I do have an AV Famicom and a few other options like the AVS, but the only one hooked up in my bedroom is the model 2. TBH, I have been alternating between the switch, AVS, toaster nes with AV, and the US top loading NES. I don't use NES carts on the AV Famicom, despite having an adapter, since it's hooked up to the same TV as the toaster NES.

Funny thing is I could have hooked it up via direct connect since I was used to using a box for multiple consoles and forgot I had another one of those cable adapters lying around. No point in having it hooked up to the box since I use the same cable for the older systems and the other systems use AV or S-Video.
copy-paster

Post by copy-paster »

Good job to re-1LCing MS3 again BIL!

During my 1CC session I picked the safest route (autoscroller ship, rebel mayhem, submarine, slugs) and Angry Gold Needles didn't show up at all thank god. I still remember I had to approach inside the Rugname part slow paced, not as aggresive as you did. And I was panicked too much when my Slug got damaged when Rootmars health are super low, so I manually dodge the angry bubbles with knife and luckily I survived.

Don't think I would get back to this one for 1LC. Overall the game is good but I prefer first game, X and maybe 4.
CIT

Post by CIT »

So, I've been digging into Zero Team as of late. It's weird, because under the surface it's a super simple game, but it just pulls everything it does off so well, it becomes greater than the sum of its parts. Feels more like a successor to Double Dragon due to the small sprites and the plethora of stuff you can throw around. I especially love the detailed, crisp, and colorful graphics and the super fast bitch slap punches. Still unsure whether to use Spin or Big-O. The two ninja dudes seem a lad mediocre though. Any opinions?
WelshMegalodon

Post by WelshMegalodon »

Welcome to the Task Force, BrianC!

So I've always wondered: why do the Master System, Super Famicom, and Mega Drive all include RGB out? Was that just something they decided to throw in for PAL gamers?
Indie hipsters: "Arcades are so dead"
Finite Continues? Ain't that some shit.
RBelmont wrote:A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire
it290

Post by it290 »

My US Genesis manual definitely had a section mentioning that the system could be connected to an RGB monitor for the 'ultimate in visual fidelity.' I definitely don't think they had PAL gamers in mind, if anything they were probably targeting Japanese prosumers and people who already owned RGB computer monitors, but there's also the simple fact that the devs would have used said monitors to develop games on in the first place.
We here shall not rest until we have made a drawing-room of your shaft, and if you do not all finally go down to your doom in patent-leather shoes, then you shall not go at all.
BIL

Post by BIL »

copy-paster wrote:Good job to re-1LCing MS3 again BIL!

During my 1CC session I picked the safest route (autoscroller ship, rebel mayhem, submarine, slugs) and Angry Gold Needles didn't show up at all thank god. I still remember I had to approach inside the Rugname part slow paced, not as aggresive as you did. And I was panicked too much when my Slug got damaged when Rootmars health are super low, so I manually dodge the angry bubbles with knife and luckily I survived.

Don't think I would get back to this one for 1LC. Overall the game is good but I prefer first game, X and maybe 4.
Thanks! I'm gonna try to stick with it and learn some more routes this time, instead of dropping the game for a decade. :lol: Made a small start with Mission 2's yeti cave (I wanted those UR GR8s!), which I used to consider a sloppy experience... but as always with this series, once you learn how to build up and cash in your ammo and bombs, you can really rip through those super-tough yetis. And the Elephant Slug rampage is a fantastic little reward, too. Unleashing his trunk blasts and stampede on the zombie horde as the screen judders with his every step is pure entertainment.

On that account - simple amusement - this is my favourite Nazca Slug hands-down. Lots of cool ideas explored with just enough depth before you're whisked away to something else. The conventional run/gun segments are frequently excellent too. Mission 1's opening crab slaughter is one of those infernally restart-able first stages, Mission 3's scaffold recalls the multi-pronged threat of MS1's bridge, and Mission 4's DESERT WAR is my overall favourite skirmish of the entire MS1-4 canon. And although it's the Easy Route, I genuinely love Mission 4's pyramid climb. The Maneaters are a superb enemy design, evading that vicious bite never gets old.

As always it's the vert STG bits that muffle the good times slightly. It really hit me this time how crappy the Astro Slug's default shot is... and it's a bloody massive target too, bringing the feel perilously near euroshump territory. It's alright once you know how to spend your missiles, just a shame an ex-IREM outfit produced merely tolerable rather than good/great shooting. OTOH, even though it's mostly wanton carnage, I warmed up to the opening hori bit. With style like this, sheer destruction goes further than it might in other games.

No Angry Gold Needles for me either on this run, survivor's guilt as always. :mrgreen: Had a bangin' earlier run dodging two in a row before dying to friggin Wolves. Image I'd experimented with keeping him to the sides during AGN, but I've since delisted the demo video. While increasing the distance between yourself and Sol has some benefits, I found it can also complicate things... I'm getting better results just dodging from the centre. I'm wondering if the object limit on the needles might be read in some way. I can dodge them pretty well, it's getting trapped that I worry about.

Rootmars' Angry Bubbles are perhaps the nastiest attack I've seen in a run/gun, it's nightmarish to think of facing him without the option of Exit Exploit - was kinda relieved to see 2P mode gives you a pair of slugs, that'd be a total screwjob for whoever was left outside otherwise. EDIT: I guess a skilled duo could make it, by having the i-framing player shield their partner, but holy fuck it'd be tight. I'd rather face guaranteed AGNs, honestly.

As with MSX's Rugname UFOs, I think I can see ways to survive in a "fair fight," but it'd be so ridiculously dangerous as to enter the domain of pure showboating. I was so SCURRED of losing the Slug in this run, I completely chickened out on the Vehicle Bonus. Image

MS4 is really underrated, I think. I wish it had MS5's art staff... I don't think MS5's visuals measure up to Nazca's work, aside from Final Mission's very nice burning city, and some decent industrial (Mission 3's factory is a good attempt at classic Nazca grunge). But it at least feels like a new game. MS4 is a middling pastiche aesthetically, but for hardcore action it's well above par, and sometimes exceptional - Mission 3's treacherous yet easily-read vertical climb, Mission 5's ruthless heli attack on precarious footing, Final Mission's trading of spectacle for relentless intensity. Its earlier bosses are far more interesting, too (M2, 3 and 5's are killer), and the overall difficulty curve is both smoother and innately steeper. I really have to force myself to put it on after lots of Nazca Slug, but I never regret it. Gonna go for a 1LC in the near future.

Noise Factory's other sequel to an established Neo franchise, Sengoku 3, is really good stuff imo. Superb handling and flashy yet visceral combos. Kongoh and his ridiculously brutal iron club are a great contrast with the agile juggles, as third_strike demonstrates. One of my favourite brawler heavies since the revelatory Ninja of TNWA. Image
CIT wrote:So, I've been digging into Zero Team as of late. It's weird, because under the surface it's a super simple game, but it just pulls everything it does off so well, it becomes greater than the sum of its parts. Feels more like a successor to Double Dragon due to the small sprites and the plethora of stuff you can throw around. I especially love the detailed, crisp, and colorful graphics and the super fast bitch slap punches. Still unsure whether to use Spin or Big-O. The two ninja dudes seem a lad mediocre though. Any opinions?
Never tried it myself, but iconoclast likes it (specifically the New revision), and his Spin no-miss looks rad. The way characters turn their backs to the camera while moving vertically instantly reminded me of Technos (as did dat ass on Spin Image Image).
Last edited by BIL on Thu May 14, 2020 3:51 am, edited 3 times in total.
it290

Post by it290 »

See, and here I was thinking Tyris Flare.
We here shall not rest until we have made a drawing-room of your shaft, and if you do not all finally go down to your doom in patent-leather shoes, then you shall not go at all.
BIL

Post by BIL »

I forgot all about her, that's another fine beltscrolling ass! Blaze and Marion's panty shots have nothing on Tyris's Lady Plumber's Crack. :lol:
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

@Welsh Japanese consumers had access to RGB displays back then too, that's most definitely why.
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
WelshMegalodon

Post by WelshMegalodon »

Ah, of course! The piece of the puzzle that no one ever mentions when preaching the gospel of composite artifacting. It all makes sense now. Thanks!
Indie hipsters: "Arcades are so dead"
Finite Continues? Ain't that some shit.
RBelmont wrote:A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire
CIT

Post by CIT »

BIL wrote:Never tried it myself, but iconoclast likes it (specifically the New revision), and his Spin no-miss looks rad. The way characters turn their backs to the camera while moving vertically instantly reminded me of Technos (as did dat ass on Spin Image Image).
Yep, I've been watching iconoclast's replay. Very cool! He shows off some excellent resource management regarding the bazooka. I'd say the game is not really that difficult, but if you get yourself caught in a bad situation things can turn sour really quickly. Give it a Spin (haha!) sometime, I think it'll be up your alley.
(Awesome tier list you linked there, btw. :D )
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

What's with all these revisions of Zero Team? Which one is the definitve version? There's also a Zero Team 2000.
BIL

Post by BIL »

The #1 experts of the internet have you covered :cool:
HG101 wrote:When Seibu published Zero Team outside of Japan (distributed by Fabtek Corporation in the US), some balance changes were made. This version, Zero Team USA, is generally easier, mostly because your desperation move deals far more damage than before. This became the base for all later revisions, including New Zero Team and Zero Team 2000; the former swaps the first four stages, while the latter removes the extra life bonus from scoring, a huge roadblock for 1CC run. As of writing, only these two versions are fully playable on MAME.
Take just what I came for
Then I'm out the door again ♫

BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Thanks for the info. At least Spin is in all versions. I noticed that the AC golden axe has more frames of animation than the Genesis port. Especially noticable when Tyris is riding on some mounts.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Don't thank me, thank HG101! Facts AND hilarity. :wink:
BrianC wrote:I noticed that the AC golden axe has more frames of animation than the Genesis port. Especially noticable when Tyris is riding on some mounts.
Favourite VG barbarian chick ever. Plain and solidly built (FOR A GURL Image), clearly OUT 4 REVENGE Image Ridiculously under-armoured, admittedly, especially VS foes in plate/chain mail (plus skeletons). But then Ax Battler is in his goddamn briefs - his nutsack could flop out at any moment!

Always liked how GA's dudes (player and enemies alike) are relatively lithe and hungry-lookin' (see also Rastan). Or in the Budweiser Bros' cases, a little chubby. I like that unpolished take on medieval warriors, as opposed to everyone being hulking, flawlessly chiselled and well-rested bodybuilders.

AC also got dem 1ST BLOOD SAMPLES Image Image (that tortured "OH GAWWWD!" is up there with Double Dragon's comatosed upchuck for sickly gratifying brawler death rattles - IDGAF where they nicked it from! In fact, I wish SNK had used it in blatant Not Rambo Ikari! Image)

Nowhere to be found in MD GA or GAII, sadly. IIRC Revenge of Death Adder reused it, but RODA is the archetypal Sega Arcade Game Never Ported Ever.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

AC also has a neat animation of Death Adder forming from a bunch of snakes. MD version demoted him to lackey. PCE CD version is an ugly port, but has some nice remixes of the AC tunes and neat cutscenes.

I miss those samples from the AC version too. Interesting how the AC and home versions had some slight plot differences and got different sequels. Death Adder returned to the arcade for revenge over being turned into a lackey in the md version.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Other than the MD-exclusive final stage and duel mode (the former's absence from the AC really surprised me, having grown up with the cart), a detail I love in that version is the little "G-AX MD" inscription next to the map's compass. It's a cute nod to the project's "AC plus" ethos, and a perfect snapshot of the MD's early image as an arcade-quality home machine.
cj iwakura

Post by cj iwakura »

The PCE version of Ninja Gaiden is objectively awful, and yet here I am finishing it anyway.
It's a morbid curiosity, and I have to admit, some of the new sprite/background effects are neat.
BIL wrote:The #1 experts of the internet have you covered :cool:
HG101 wrote:When Seibu published Zero Team outside of Japan (distributed by Fabtek Corporation in the US), some balance changes were made. This version, Zero Team USA, is generally easier, mostly because your desperation move deals far more damage than before. This became the base for all later revisions, including New Zero Team and Zero Team 2000; the former swaps the first four stages, while the latter removes the extra life bonus from scoring, a huge roadblock for 1CC run. As of writing, only these two versions are fully playable on MAME.
Take just what I came for
Then I'm out the door again ♫

Someone's an APC fan!
heli wrote:Why is milestone director in prison ?, are his game to difficult ?
CIT

Post by CIT »

Thread needs more tasteful beltscroller art.

You're welcome! Image
BIL

Post by BIL »

cj iwakura wrote:Someone's an APC fan!
Yeah I played 13th step end to end after posting that :mrgreen:

PCE Ninja Gaiden is mildly fascinating for the worst reason - methodically removing all that makes the FC version an excellent CV riff, resulting in a mediocre one. Outclassed by NG, CV, dozens of other leading FC action/platformers, and dozens more from the other side of the 8/16bit divide. DATS GOTTA HOIT! Ryu and enemies alike are hobbled in eerily specific ways - no more Hammer Bros RNG, or Fleaman footsies, or Chakram armour, or Jetpack dragnets, or hyper-aggressive Katanas... and even if they were restored, you'd have no explosive OTG for the visceral slayings of, as Ryu now needs a full character height's clearance before his blade connects - while it's out and killing before he's a pixel off the ground on FC. If anyone but close NEC ally Hudson published this, I'd suspect it was deliberate.

No *KTHWACK* SFX either! The FC soundtrack's thumping pulse and hooky intensity is also AWOL, and the sprites are soulless clipart emulations of the sharply-detailed FC characters. Sleek armoured attack dog, meet Alsatian01.gif! And I can't believe they turned Act 5-3's formidably ancient, affectingly crumbling shrine into a MOTHERFUCKING CONSTRUCTION SITE*. WHAT THE FUCK Image

*I am a headcanon enthusiast! Let's see what we can do to improve this situation. JAQUIO I mean DEVILDOER is fortifying the site and turning into his Bond Villain Base. On FC he's minutes away from blowing the roof off the dump and beginning a reign of indiscriminate global horror, but this is more plausible. He needs somewhere to park Jashin when he's not sending him out on genocidal murder sprees. Y-yeah, that's it. Image

The "parallax" can only be described as nightmarish, as in "holy cow, my beloved PCE's video output is dying on me." :shock: NGII and NGIII (and GUN-DEC and Solbrain and Metal Storm) stomp this into the floor, and they all came out at least a year earlier. On the Famicom. Image

The FC's lame bosses are pretty much the same, but now there's no Jumpslash exploit, and therefore no punctuating a breakneck stage clear with a comically instantaneous boss obliteration. It's been years since I 1CCd it for research purposes, can't recall if Jaquio's masterful economy was screwed up... but I recall Jashin being dubiously harder, due to the screwy hitflash, and/or janky projectile arcs/hitboxes, or some other shit. (figures, with them dropping FC Hammer Bros' elegantly chaotic projectile RNG, which I'm fairly sure Jashin shares).

I do love that they kept the Boss Rush Knockback™ in. EAT SHIT EDMOND (■`W´■)凸 EVEN BELOVED HONEY BEE COMPANY AGREES WITH ME, YOUR ETERNAL TORMENTOR, THE BLACK BARON BIRUFORDO VON BEAST FUCK Image :wink:

2/5 stars, it's alright. Will make PCE fans wonder WTF fans of the FC game see in it, and perhaps investigate the best sidescroller console ever. That's something at least. Image
CIT wrote:Thread needs more tasteful beltscroller art.
God damn, Spin-chan is less obscure than I thought Image Also poor Tyris, hopefully that's a 2P game Image

^ this is clearly MD Golden Axe 2, that's the last thing mangled victims of Chickenbone's running attack see before succumbing to massive head and/or chest trauma Image (he just bounces off the first target in GA1 Image)
Last edited by BIL on Thu May 14, 2020 7:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
CIT

Post by CIT »

BIL wrote:God damn, Spin-chan is less obscure than I thought Image
Why would she be? Just made it to the final stage on a credit and discovered her back jump knee attack will connect three times if timed correctly and can be chained immediately into the game's bread and butter 4xpunch + aerial combo. This beltscroller greatness has rightly been recognized around the world and inspired artists to reach their own heights! 8)

BIL

Post by BIL »

Bookmarked for the index, subject: Spin Combo Tips Image
drauch

Post by drauch »

Dunno why, but I have the sudden urge to revisit Zero Team again soon! Image *

*copyright BIL
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
BIL

Post by BIL »

More ad-hoc emoticons are always* a good thing :mrgreen: (nicked that one off Perikles!)

(*unless Imgur goes tits-up, in which case my posts gon be FUCC Image)