Ninja Gaiden [NES] + R2RKMF: Scrolling Action Monogatari

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
BrianC

Re: Ninja Gaiden [NES] + Scrolling Action Monogatari

Post by BrianC »

Robocco Wars?
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

You sure it's not Cocoron? The big thing about the game is that you can customize the player character so he can look like Mega Man style, a freaky monster or anything in between. The graphics are still cutesy, the music is from the same guy who did Mega Man 2's music, it was only released in Japan...it's ticking many of the boxes.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
ryu

Post by ryu »

BrianC wrote:Robocco Wars?
The player's not a robot/mecha.
Cocoron
Yeah maybe that's it after all. I barely know anything about the game I'm looking for after all...
I'll check it out and leave my request open for other ideas in case this isn't it
blog - scores - collection
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

ryu wrote:Let's see..

I think calling it a Mega Man clone might be a bit strong. That's just how I remember it... either the visuals reminded me of Mega Man for some reason or the person who introduced the game here said it was similar. I didn't see much gameplay and that was years ago so it's hard to say.

Pretty sure the player character was not human.

It might be a homebrew game.

I know it's weird and unspecific, but the best description I have "nobody ever talks about it but someone mentioned it on here once (possibly the post awesome stuff thread) and people gave positive feedback and wanted to play it"
Rocman X maybe?
It's like, literally a Mega Man clone/"bootleg", even if it doesn't play much like Mega Man, and is really broken. It's an old chinese "pirate cart", but technically it's really a homebrew, or at least an unlicensed original game.
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

One more that popped into my mind...Mitsume ga Tooru.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Cat Ninja Tnyande (or however the JP title for Samurai Pizza Cats is spelled) is one that fits the discription, but it's probably not it since Samurai Pizza Cats is a hard thing to forget.
ryu

Post by ryu »

Not one of these either. :/
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Going on with the homebrew line of thought. One of the Battle Kid games maybe?
They do have a bit of a Mega Man feel, even if the primary source of inspiration is probably the likes of IWBTG.
ryu

Post by ryu »

no.

maybe think side scrolling platformer instead of mega man clone
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

I guess I'll just throw the names of a bunch of random Famicom scrolling platformers out there, and you can check if it's any of those. :)
Famicom (jap) exclusives listed at the top.

Bio Senshi Dan
LayLa
Don Doko Don 2
Time Zone
Jumpin Kid
Hi No Tori
Holy Diver
Yume Penguin Monogatari
Moon Crystal
Splatterhouse Wanpaku Grafiti
Heisei Tensai Bakabon
Almana No Kiseki
Crossfire
Amagon
Bio Miracle Bokutte Upa
Saiyuuki World
Parasol Henbee
Ninja Kid
Getsu Fuma Den
Wing of Madoola
Dragon Buster
Fire Bam
Akumajou Special Boku Dracula Kun
Wai Wai World 1 and 2
Kaiketsu Yanchamaru 2 or 3 (1 released as "Kid Niki" in the US)
Kamen No Ninja (reskinned as Yo Noid in the US)
Metal Storm
Xexyz
Ufouria (Hebereke)
Demon Sword
Codename Viper
Dragon Fighter
Ninja Crusaders
Captain Saver
Shatterhand
Vice: Project Doom (Gun-Dec)
Clash at Demonhead
Wurm: Journey To The Center Of The Earth
Street Fighter 2010
Shadow of the Ninja
Tojan
Panic Restaurant
Karnov
Hammerin Harry
Bonks Adventure
Legend of Kage
ryu

Post by ryu »

negative :(
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

The only other thing that comes to mind with non human characters, awesome music, and Mega Man-ish gameplay is Bucky 'O Hare, but that's too well known.

Edit: A few other games with non human characters came to mind:

Chiki Chiki Machine Mou Race/Wacky Races
Widget (though this only came out in the west)
Lickle/Little Samson
Mappy Kids
Wagan Land
Ny Nyankies/Rockin' Kats
Darkwing Duck (another western only release, but made by Capcom and plays quite a bit like Mega Man)
ryu

Post by ryu »

Unfortunately none of those feels right either.
BIL

Post by BIL »

God damn, it has been a few weeks!
Ed Oscuro wrote:
BIL wrote:^ (best post on forum)
#8 googs result for "magician lord art."
#6 is from furryaffinities tho :/

Idling with good ol NG1 no-miss tonight, the usual assortment of silly mistakes had me tangling with fleamans unnecessarily! AND led to my favourite CV/NG game design bromance yet! Image Add EMERGENCY FLEAMAN EVASION MANEUVER to the innumerable splinters of CV1 that made the jump in hopped-up yet resolutely Twitch/Methodical™ form!

BERUMONDO NO OUGI 0061: HOT PANTS DAISAKUSEN (・`W´・)
Spoiler

DRACULA III VER 凸(`ω´メ)
Spoiler

NG1 VER (■`ω´■)
Spoiler

^ I made sure to get his wall kick in there. ;3 And aww, got Hammer Bro/Boney Kun and Eagle/JFC ITS A FUCKIN GHOST in the frame too! I'd never noticed how eminently run-underable fleaman hops are, and certainly didn't know they were reliably proximity-triggered. Always assumed they just freaked out erratically, as punishment for screwing up the quick kill. Not something to rely on with other fiends about, and you should really just kill the fuckers ASAP, but that goes for CV1+3 too! Image
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

By the way, Magician Lord is quite the Lovecraftian game. I played it again today, and the references are aplenty. Gal Agiese turns out to be Nyarlathotep (see St. 8 boss), and the final boss is Azhathoth, pardon, Al Atorz (or whatever they spell it in-game). Various zakus (pardon, Zaku-tachi) resemble minor Mythos creatures, and the various settings ooze Mythos atmospheres (Stage 2, 3, 6 for sure).
Chomsky, Buckminster Fuller, Yunus and Glass would have played Battle Garegga, for sure.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Haha, good catch on "Az-Atorse" (I too forget their exact spelling) / Azathoth! Can't believe I never noticed that. :smile: Seems NAM-1975 (aka Full Metal Jacket THE OFFICIAL GAME) wasn't the only launch-era Neo title with a healthy appreciation of Western pop culture.

That makes Magician Lord the second HPL-informed action/platformer I know of after the charmingly deranged El Viento (MD), which takes the novel approach of setting up shop in 1920s New York for a bit more contemporaneity with the author. An amusing mismatch, HPL's inescapable cosmic doom and the indomitable 1CC or bust ethos of hardcore action gaming. I like to file these games under the Dunwich Horror exception. Sometimes a plucky protagonist with a little arcane knowledge and BIG FUCKIN GUNS really can save the day. FOR NOW
Obscura

Post by Obscura »

"Al Atorz" seems like it would be more likely a reference to Alastor from either Greek mythology or Christian demonology?
BIL

Post by BIL »

From a quick check it seems "Az Atorse" is SNK's exact wording, so I'd lean towards Azathoth - not that it isn't mangled either way. "Azatorse." :lol:

I wonder if "Gal Agiese" (he of the memorably deadpanned pre-boss trash talk) is a reference to anything.
Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

Yah considering the penultimate boss is straight up based on Nyarlathotep's iconic "Howler in The Dark" design, it's most definitely a corrupt Azathoth reference.
Spoiler

The very strange bio-horror design of the ultimate form evidences this too. Recalls many artistic depictions of Azathoth as a big fucked up amoebic thing.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Fuck yeah, there's a match. :o On par with NAM-1975 once again. :wink:

Speaking of - dammit! This could go in the "movie taglines" thread, the "movie posters" thread and the "vg art" thread. But I'll just post it here.
Spoiler
BACK TO THE NIGHTMARE. ()

"Do I have 2 go back 2 the hell again??? :[ :[ :["

I wonder where NAM's machine designs were ripped from, if anywhere. Some real Combine Harvesters From Hell up in there.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

BIL wrote: BERUMONDO NO OUGI 0061: HOT PANTS DAISAKUSEN (・`W´・)
Spoiler

DRACULA III VER 凸(`ω´メ)
Spoiler

NG1 VER (■`ω´■)
Spoiler

I'd never noticed how eminently run-underable fleaman hops are, and certainly didn't know they were reliably proximity-triggered. Always assumed they just freaked out erratically, as punishment for screwing up the quick kill. Not something to rely on with other fiends about, and you should really just kill the fuckers ASAP, but that goes for CV1+3 too!
Damn man. That's cool, i never knew dis!
That's something i love about old games, shmups, speedrun communities is that they find newer stuff in old games.

Was chilling with JWS the other day and casually stuck NG on and beat it, felt good man. It's cool how little rust there seems to be with that game, even getting through the notorious stage 6 areas sans spinslash.
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
Jonny2x4

Post by Jonny2x4 »

BIL wrote:Fuck yeah, there's a match. :o On par with NAM-1975 once again. :wink:

Speaking of - dammit! This could go in the "movie taglines" thread, the "movie posters" thread and the "vg art" thread. But I'll just post it here.
Spoiler
BACK TO THE NIGHTMARE. ()

"Do I have 2 go back 2 the hell again??? :[ :[ :["

I wonder where NAM's machine designs were ripped from, if anywhere. Some real Combine Harvesters From Hell up in there.
I know that's Mark Hamill with Raquel Welch wielding a tommy gun. Happy New Year btw.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Two wildly different games that I wasted my time with last week, that I think might possibly fit into the category of this thread.

Wonder Boy in Monster Land
This game ticks all the "euroshmup" boxes, but gets away with it since it's a platformer.
It's kind of funny how many arcade games in the late 80s tried expanding into the dangerous waters of "RPG elements" while fighting to maintain the arcade flow, that keeps a steady income of quarters, and challenges experienced players. From games with light shops like Black Tiger, Fantasy Zone or Willow, to the full-on "open world" exp grinding of Cadash.
The result is always that there's pretty much a required optimal path, involving upgrading your skills as much and early as possible, making these elements superficial at best, but I'll admit I enjoy it a lot. It gives me the illusion of a big adventure, and starting Wonder Boy out defenseless in his diapers is a cute move to accentuate that.
I played the game on M2's Monster World collection on my X360 and initially deemed it too random and difficult to ever realistically beat, but by complete chance as I was visiting my friend in his home arcade the very next day, he just happened to have that game running when I got there, and learning all the hidden tidbits of the game, I managed a 1CC on the very same day.

First of all, it turns out that buying a drink at a bar will always heal you for one heart, which is pretty useful considering you continuously lose health as the in-game timer progresses.
Aside from that, planning out your path to get the best armor and shield as early as possible is quite essential. I never quite got a hang of the joystick wiggling to get more money from coins, but spending a couple whirlwinds here and there you can still get the money you need. You also need to know where to find every sword upgrade or you might as well not even bother with the later bosses.
Once you got all that down, the game is actually quite easy, but still very enjoyable.

Demon Front
I'm gonna go the scrub route here and ask how the hell is a 1CC in any way possible of this game? After failing to get further than the third boss after numerous attempts, I did a credit feed through the game, and some of the later bosses just seem completely impossible to me, with projectiles and other attacks simply swarming you with no way around them all at the same time. I tried watching videos of people doing it, and it seems like they just magically somehow manage to dodge them all (almost to the level of that one Dragon Blaze longplay), and lucking out a lot. Stuff like that makes me feel extremely shitty at games.

Anyway, for as long as the game feels manageable to me, this is an insanely good run 'n' gun, like much more than I ever realised. I have owned the game for over five years, but never even bothered putting it into my cab as I always dismissed it as just a Metal Slug clone, but even though the inspiration is very obvious, you quickly realise that it has completely its own identity once you start playing it, both in the way enemies behave, and all the unique mechanics of the game.
I'd even go as far as to claim this is probably one of the best games of the genre. What a god damn blast. It's really amazing how much work has been put into it, they did not skimp out on anything. Kraut Buster (which I also had the chance to try out) wishes it were this.

The game also seems to be quite an unsolved mystery, at least as far as the general internet goes. There aren't any guides to be found (in english) anywhere, and the best documentation on the game's mechanics is of course right here on a forum that didn't let me down. However it's mostly broader stuff like secrets, such as the keys etc.
I'm more interested in how to properly utilize the familiars (which is a really cool mechanic, but I haven't found any good use for them), what the various bars mean - namely the hearts you gets for knifing enemies, and the blue one you get just for killing stuff, and how the combo affects scoring and potentially other things.
kitten

Post by kitten »

howdy, everybody! i'm going to try and improve my posting on here and keep things more focused on stuff i've bothered to record or both love (to keep it positive) and have some good play history with (to keep the contributions meaningful). i've had in mind to come back to the forum with that attitude for a while, but i wound up getting really into casual mtg with my roommate - she and i play almost every single night, and it's been eating a lot of my game time. not sure when i'll settle back into the stride of play i had going on, especially since i've also been a lot more social and have few classic game enthusiasts in my friends circle, but i hope to start regularly doing recordings and diving back in again, eventually.

anyhoo,

- - - - - - - - - -

Final Fight Tough - Expert Difficulty 1CC - Haggar

i put a bunch of words in the description if anybody is particularly interested in expanded musings on my experience with final fight as a series and my ongoing dislike for and inability to get into the first game versus my immediate clicking with this one. i'm a bit disappointed i accidentally (i'm still not sure what exactly triggers him or doesn't) skip the boss fight with stray (who i've actually got a decent strategy down for), but i play fairly well on the recorded run and felt it was worth finally posting in this thread again now that i've got some added material for it.

final fight tough is seriously a blast! i think i straight-up love it. i kinda dig the slightly more anime (somewhat street fighter alpha-esque) look and way more open feel to the game. the diversity of the enemies and moveset almost make it feel a bit more like a playground or bare knuckle game, which is a lot more my speed than the hyper rigidity the series' inaugural installment is known for. i've heard from numerous tough fans that they don't like the original and from numerous fans of the original that they don't like tough, and i feel that really makes sense after giving it a whirl.

playing through the game with haggar is seriously just fun as all hell, and i really love his additional new moves. he's got a lot more grab options than in the other games, and enemy variety tends to press you to try different ones out at different times. pick 'em up from the front and get a directional toss to help get enemies on one side of the screen, grab somebody from behind to get a quick backdrop in and then chain it into another one, nab an enemy whose just sitting there by himself, headbutt him a couple times, then reverse yourself and do a aerial backdrop for max damage. you've got a lot of options, and his new fist slam (done with a quarter circle forward followed by a punch) really helps you close distance or get a strong finishing blow in with the right spacing. you've also got a super that gradually builds up as you deal damage which can knock every enemy on-screen over and let you breath for long enough to get your bearings back on straight.

i've given each of the other characters a cursory go, but i'm too much in love with haggar's vicious slamming to really dive into them like they deserve. dean seems like a hell of a lot of fun and fairly non-standard for a slower character (not much of a grapple game but some otherwise nasty power), lucia has some serious speed and cool air tech, and guy felt a little bit lackluster. he seems a tad too similar to lucia, who feels like the more interesting of the two, and didn't seem to be distinguished enough to be one of the more attractive characters to play. but, who knows? i may have misjudged.

the game's bigger downsides are that stages are a bit too flat and that you're a bit too versatile and powerful - when you get the hang of a character or play with a friend (sadly, there's decent bit of slowdown in co-op), you can thrash encounters so hard that it's almost difficult for enemies to even get a word in. there's pretty generous i-frames on your desperation move for each character, too, meaning you can trap a lot of the bosses in a pattern by i-framing through their wake-up and getting them right back into a grab. if enemy count were just a tad higher, bosses maybe a little bit more aggressive (or with bigger reserves of goons), and they added a few more environmental hazards or pinch situations, i'd say this would be outright excellent, honestly!

but, still, despite its lack of bite, i found it to be great and not entirely without some spiciness to it. maybe, in sincere honesty, it's the fact it's a bit leisurely that is what makes it appeal to me so much. as i mentioned earlier, the game almost feels like a playground for goon thrashing, and i'm someone who loves kirby super deluxe - a big, flashy ride full of baddies to thrash is right up my alley.
~Imagination and memory are but one thing, which for diverse considerations have diverse names~
Image | Image
~*~*~*~*~*~* If there's a place that I could be ~ Then I'd be another memory *~*~*~*~*~*~
__SKYe

Post by __SKYe »

Welcome back kitten, it's been a while. I haven't played much sidescrolling action lately either. :)

Sadly, FF3 is the game I have the least playtime by quite a bit, so I can't really post much yet.
kitten wrote:i've heard from numerous tough fans that they don't like the original and from numerous fans of the original that they don't like tough, and i feel that really makes sense after giving it a whirl.
Yeah, it's that difference of the strictness/methodical pace of the original (and FF2) and the more looser gameplay of FF3. I don't consider either strictly better than the other (though currently, at least, I tilt slightly towards the former), but that divergence of opinion may have come from fans of the original expecting a similar game(s) and getting a different experience, while for the players who weren't into the original(s), it probably felt like the series finally evolved.

Still have a ton of your videos (and others' here) to watch. :mrgreen:
Marc

Post by Marc »

Nice, I've no experience at all with the sequels, simply because the opinion at the time seemed to be that they were much weaker than the arcade original. Tough sounds right up my street from your description though, may have to give it a whirl.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

I've never played any of the SNES Final Fight games, but Tough definitely looks a lot of fun, and way more up my alley than the other ones. Of course it's also infinitely more expensive.
Perikles

Post by Perikles »

kitten wrote:i'm a bit disappointed i accidentally (i'm still not sure what exactly triggers him or doesn't) skip the boss fight with stray (who i've actually got a decent strategy down for) [...]
This happens when you take the shortcut and destroy all four of the terminals en route. Thus, if you want to abbreviate the stage whilst not omitting the boss fight, stay at the lower section of the screen at least for a moment so that you don't break all of them.

I also concur with the general assessment of the game - inveterate enthusiasts of trenchant arcade brawlers will perhaps mourn the looser, more serene pacing and enemy behaviour, for someone like me who does like the genre on paper yet isn't dedicated enough to actually learn these games properly, it's a glorious disport. Where the first arcade Final Fight and its ilk are demanding opera performances, Final Fight Tough is coltish improvisational theatre, if you will. Enemy types like Hunter are not fit for relentless arcade action for their start-up window is deplorably huge, yet they are not slow enough to be outright harmless. It's a splendid compromise for the console audience, I find.

I've also exclusively played with Haggar - Lucia is by far the strongest character at higher level since you can create infinite combos with her, but that's a) a trifle too execution-heavy for my taste, b) not necessary whatsoever and c) nowise as satisfying as applying utmost destruction with Haggar. It's not quite the equivalent of video-game induced planteration which is playing as Ninja in TNWA (I suspect it's due to the inimitable economy of movement of a thoroughly implacable protagonist during the process of doling out massive damage that does it - the flashy animations in Final Fight Tough mitigate this a little bit), but definitely close enough.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

First time looking at Final Fight Tough and I gotta say, the crowd control seems fun to pull off

Lucia seems OP but it looks like a real fun and exhilarating challenge to do a no-hit run until at least half the game, with her

The games moves really fast and snappy(animations are fast/short as well), I think Capcom looked over the fence at Bare Knuckle series for some inspiration in that department
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
mycophobia

Post by mycophobia »

did a highest-difficulty Strider Hiryuu no death run.

now i never have to play this game again. until I decide to go for the hardest no items/no death run that is of course.