Ninja Gaiden [NES] + R2RKMF: Scrolling Action Monogatari

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Sumez

Re: Ninja Gaiden [NES] + Sidescrolling Action Miscs

Post by Sumez »

Just to save my own hide, I don't think any of the games you mention are particularly great games, something I addressed already in my own response to your previous post:
Sumez wrote: Almost all of the games you are mentioning are Game Boy "versions" of more popular console or arcade games. Of the ones mentioned I think only the Rockman World games and Bionic Commando really stick out as being separate entities on Game Boy, worth looking into in addition to their NES/Famicom counterparts.

If you want to play really good arcade quality hardcore action games, why (the hell) are you limiting yourself to the Game Boy platform? You really won't find a lot of that there. Sure there are some games that are worth looking into if you are really trying to broaden your horizon and explore some interesting stuff off the beaten path, but there is a reason Castlevania 3 and Contra 3 are considered timeless classics, while Belmont's Revenge and Operation C are not.

People will probably disagree with me, but the only games I can think of for the original game boy that are really solid quality through and through with a scope big enough to deserve direct comparison to even the biggest console classics, are Link's Awakening and the first Wario Land game.
Shoryukev

Post by Shoryukev »

A few standout GB titles off the top of my head; Gargoyle's Quest, Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow, Kirby's Dream Land (hard mode), Link's Awakening, Donkey Kong. I was kind of thinking the same thing as Sumez. Sure the DMG Gameboy has its gems, but if you're looking for examples of old school gaming perfection it wouldn't be my platform of choice.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

PowerofElsydeon wrote: Bionic Commando for Gameboy consists of about 20% of unskipable dialog
And it would be pretty cool if the Game was about going from left to rigth and top to bottom...but somehow ur forced to get into a communication room and have one of thoose shitty unskipable cutcenes or else you can't get figth the end level boss and finish the level,ur forced to backtrap that crappy :x
Why the hell do I have to deal with that stuff instead of playin it like a real arcade Game?
The dialog in BC in the communication room can be skipped after using communication or wire tapping and it will still let you finish the level.
BIL

Post by BIL »

PowerofElsydeon wrote:still questioning what's an awsome game, and what's not but it's almost over
I have one last set of questions for you guys that migth get me into adulthood if you can handle them
And when I do that I swear I'm making a whole documentary covering my journey and what not.
It's never over. Enjoy the trip. ;3
Before I do that I like to explain my philosofy so far
For me a great Game is like a combination of the fun factor that only Wicked paced Games posess + the hardcore factor +the artistic spirit that includes the music,character design and such ,altough that third part is low priority for me!
I think most of us here want that! But echoing Sumez and Shoryukev, the GB is a sub-optimal place to seek this ideal... console/AC stuff like Alien Soldier, The Ninja Warriors Again, Daimakaimura, Metal Slug and Ninja Spirit exemplify your requirements. Forget the silly "gaming puberty" thing and get stuck into those, and those like them. (play TNWA on Hard with Ninja or Kunoichi - Kamaitachi is for LITTLE CRYING BABIES LMAO)
Like Operation C is way too easy once you memorize it
TBH, this goes for arguably every console Contra with the exception of III. Not a series to go to for sheer challenge, they're about rollicking run/gunning and/or boss rushing. GB Contra certainly delivers on pace.
(Double Dragon GB) I mean 2 stupid enemies at a time! WTF is this?
Feed me more
Don't be dissing the 2 enemies onscreen limit, bub! Play the Hard mode of Double Dragon II for FAMICOM (NOT NES) and you'll witness a pincer beatdown masterclass! Astonishingly evil, violent beater despite the enemy limit.

Also, Double Dragon Advance (GBA) surpasses every game in the series before it. Perhaps the ultimate Technos brawler.
Castlevania Belmonts Revenge only get's hardcore on it's last stages and that's due to narrow pattern memorization of the final bosses and not pure chalange
Again, you're looking for hardcore in all the wrong places. Fire up Castlevania III for NES (NOT FAMICOM) and use a password to start from loop 2. BOOM! More hardcore than most will be able to handle.
Bionic Commando for Gameboy consists of about 20% of unskipable dialog
The occasional pre-boss chats are annoying yep, however...
And it would be pretty cool if the Game was about going from left to rigth and top to bottom...but somehow ur forced to get into a communication room and have one of thoose shitty unskipable cutcenes or else you can't get figth the end level boss and finish the level,ur forced to backtrap that crappy :x
You're talking a right loada shite here matey! :O The comm room convos can be insta-skipped with B, or some other button. Either way, enter the room, access the comm menu, jam on both options, then GTFO. BOOM! Takes like two seconds.
Why the hell do I have to deal with that stuff instead of playin it like a real arcade Game?
Because this is seek and destroy action, son. Image Man up and locate the target, then kill the boss. Also, past the halfway mark the game gets so grappling-intensive, the comm rooms will be the least of your worries. They're a blip - definitely not worth skipping one of the best grappling hook platformers ever for.
Just wait for part 2 later tonigh and we will get to the real deal
See you guys then
I recommend using the time to play some more games. ;3

Also, once you've dealt with the really hard stuff, you'll very likely regard easier action gaming (as generally found on GB) in a different light. Personally, there's room on my shelf for both challenging and relaxing material. Depends what I want out of my gaming time.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Belmont's revenge does have a hard mode via a password, but it's glitched.

Just started playing blaster master 0 3ds. Enjoying it so far. Combines story elements from Meta Fight and Blaster Master, has solid physics, and mixes things up a bit (rising and falling lava in one of the underground stages). I also tried a bit of Meta Fight EX on the Everdrive GB. I was not impressed. Physics and enemy behavior feel off compared to the NES game.
Last edited by BrianC on Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

Oh right that came out, gotta pick that up on my 3ds
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
PowerofElsydeon

Post by PowerofElsydeon »

Sorry I'm late
You guyz were rigth in the fact that I misunderstood Gameboy's Bionic Commando(I didn't even notice that you could skid the cutcenes by pressing B) :oops:
It really kicks my ass...
I mean the platforf sections later on are soo wicked
Altough I'm not yet sure if this one does it for me

I mean
Shooters that aren't about strict memorization
Real racing Games like Wipeout
Tile matching puzzlers
Gangbangin' beat 'em ups
And even the underated genre of digital pinball
Theese guys are fit my ideals perfectly

But I'm not sure very sure about memorisers with little to no random stuff
I mean the more you memorize a Game the better you get at it
That's lame and I can't accept that
That includes many static ligth gun shooters and a vast portion of this action platform genre

I'm sorry but I will write the deep stuff and give you my reasons for stiking with the Gameboy later
Before that I'd like to ask a micro review form you
About GB Batman Return of the Joker and Ninja Spirit for GB
And maybe about the stuff memorization stuff...
How much random elements does Virtua Cop 1 and 2,Castlevania I;Castlevania Bloodlines and Space Harrier posess?
PowerofElsydeon

One more thing...
I've almost had a heart attack when gave Disney Motocross for GBA a test drive in a retrogaming bar
And I found such a kickass hidden gem
I mean Disney Motocross
I was like WTF
Is that a joke
Altough it's little more than a 16bit excitebike...
It's hardcore
Castlevania Belmont Revenge and Double Dragon greatly disapointed me...but this guy surprised me with passion
BIL

Post by BIL »

PowerofElsydeon wrote:Gangbangin' beat 'em ups
You really need to play The Ninja Warriors Again (SFC is best). Two sidescrolling brawler masterpieces on one cart, via Hard mode Ninja and Kunoichi. Kamaitachi is just as unique but unfortunately overpowered (though with the game's immense quality, even he's fun to mess around with occasionally). Enemy AI is infernally tricky to keep under control - no two runs are alike.
But I'm not sure very sure about memorisers with little to no random stuff
I mean the more you memorize a Game the better you get at it
That's lame and I can't accept that
That includes many static ligth gun shooters and a vast portion of this action platform genre
There obviously are bad examples of static design, or as I like to think of it "everything kills you, then nothing does." Contra Hard Corps and Shattered Soldier are two high-profile games noticeably affected by this.

However, I think it's myopic to write off static design elements entirely. I've watched scrubs go nuclear with rage attempting to brute-force the mostly-static Ninja Gaiden. Why couldn't they win by attrition, after racking up the hours? I think it's because well-made stuff like NG will demand you not only memorise the course, but hone your technique. And for all the hours they clocked up, these guys' technique sucked. It's not always a chalk-dry matter of "Stand at spot A, robot dick will land on spot B."

There's also stuff like The Revenge of Shinobi and Alien Soldier; objectively quite static, but also highly responsive and malleable to a skilled, aggressive player. Both are designed for experts to rip through with a sustained audacity far beyond rote; base survival is only the start, much like merely reaching the finish line in a racer (or merely reaching the end credits in Devil May Cry). It's about mastering the game's finer mechanics, then using them to nail stunts novices couldn't contemplate, and intermediates wouldn't attempt for fear of a swift bitch-slap.

Spoiler

Spoiler

^ if I'm seeing either of these guys live more than a couple seconds apiece, your replay is shit, shit, shiiit! ;3

Obviously if you crave the more organic challenge of outwitting unpredictable AI, you should look elsewhere (and maybe consider multiplayer gaming... even the most volatile 1P games gravitate towards AI exploits). Again though, I'd suggest keeping an open mind, rather than writing off swathes of superbly technical games for a lack of RNG.
How much random elements does Virtua Cop 1 and 2,Castlevania I;Castlevania Bloodlines and Space Harrier posess?
Virtua Cop, Virtua Cop 2 and Space Harrier are way off topic here, sorry bub. ;3 However, I'll say this: you mention Bionic Commando GB giving you a hard time. It still gives me a pretty hard time - the last few stages are scary as hell! The swings are objectively identical from game to game - but that perfect technique is more than elusive enough to keep routine at bay.

From what I've played of VC1&2, their ultra-precise shooting is of much the same standard. Full-chaining those stages with perfect JUSTICE SHOTs isn't for the weak of will, or wrist. As for Space Harrier, although its shooter aspect is kind of lightweight, the hellacious sense of speed is anything but. That game's all about whizzing between trees and columns at body-obliterating velocities... I really wouldn't worry about it getting old any time soon. I always have a blast with it, anyway. (Talking about the original arcade version via M2's splendid Space Harrier II Complete Collection for PS2, here - the vast majority of its earlier ports can't touch its speed, leaving you with a rather basic rail shooter)

CV1 has some famously unpredictable bosses, most of which can be shut down entirely with Holy Water cheese. They are there, though, and NG1's technical pressure most certainly is too. Bloodlines plays like ROS and Alien Soldier; largely static assault course rigged for demolition via big guns and perilously easy-to-lose POW mechanic.
Ninja Spirit for GB
No idea about the GB port, but I can assure you the AC original and its excellent PCE port have no end of harrowing random terror, in fact it's one of the game's signature elements. You should try out Daimakaimura (AC, MD or SuperGrafx) for a similarly volatile experience.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Ghouls 'n Daimakaimura is definitely your go-to guy if you want random yet thoroughly well designed action. There is a lot of stuff you need to learn when it comes to how to deal with the patterns you are getting - but every time you play the game, it will come out differently, and you constantly need to adjust your approach on the spot to handle it. The only exception to that is the final stage which is almost completely deterministic, and kind of a nice breather.
Obscura

Post by Obscura »

I like Dai, but I have to admit, it takes the whole "RNG-fueled" thing too far sometimes.

You don't know "irritating bullshit" until a random weapon drop on the moving platforms in stage 3 forces you to take down the cloud boss with the torch.
Squire Grooktook

The key is to think of pots as suicide bullets and time your kills on carriers accordingly.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
Obscura

Post by Obscura »

It's silly that it's better to jump into a pit than it is to grab a power-up, though. Even shmups with "bad powerups" -- a Raiden, a Kyukyoku Tiger, or whatever -- end your misery on death, instead of screwing you with the shit weapon on your next life.

Also, actual suicide bullets are polite enough to kill you quickly, instead of boring you to death as you fight a boss where neither of you can hurt each other.
Squire Grooktook

Like I said time it so that they don't land in an unavoidable place. Don't rapid fire everything but instead watch which enemies carry pots and which don't, and time your kills accordingly. I've never seen a truly unavoidable death or unavoidable power up due to rng in Dai tbh. Though maybe I just haven't been unlucky enough.

Aeon Zenith - My STG.
PowerofElsydeon

Thanks a lot BIL for the life lesson you taugth me
Static level design is not a weakness if the challenge comes from mastering a certain hardcore technique like
the racin' in Racing Games the shootin' in Ligth Gun shooters and Bionic arm in Bionic Commando
Though it's a weakness if it's about pure memorization like in Contra Shattered Soldier,Castlevania Belmont Revenge or GB Battletoads
Btw how about R-Type and it's sequels and how 'bout RSG
What are skills here?
So I'm not ever going back to open mindness with family freindly platformers and artistic crap

I see no one is familiar with Batman Return of the Joker for Gameboy
And Well...It looks like an hardcore Ninja Game with both a grapling hook and Ninja Gaiden esque walljump and it kicked the Avgn's ass
So I will give it a chance
I migth find a hidden gem out of it
And if I do I'll tell you

And can you explain a bit more about Revenge of Shinobi;Shinobi iii and Shinobi X pls?
I was about to stop takin' 'em seriously
But you said that 1ccing them on the hardest mode was no big deal
PowerofElsydeon

And I have just one more doubt about Gaming Philosophy and then I can become an adult

And that is 1on1 games
Wich includes
Figthing games (and offshoots like Virtual On;the Aki Wrasslin Games and SSMB I guess)
Twisted Metal
Puzzle Figther,Puyo Puyo and Twinkle Star Sprites
NBA JAM,Pong and a ton of Arcade Sports Games
Two questions

What's the point of takin' em seriously when I'm on my own
I mean I'm prolly the only person whom takes Puyo Puyo seriously on my crappy land
Is there any real point in figthing the cpu if they say playin' against a friend is the real deal on theese kinds of Games
Or maybe real achievements have nothin' to do with that and 1ccing this beast is a real achievement

And with Blades of Steel for Gameboy
I kicked the cpu's ass on hardest mode on my second day
(I'm sure if I had a pal that would be the real challenge)
So...what's the point?
None will play it with me seriously and the A.I. sucks.

So how much is worth a multiplayer Game on single player mode?
PowerofElsydeon

And the second question was:

Should I ever forgive figthing Games for their rigid as hell combos and stuff?

I mean Shmups and Pinball have a very strict scoring system...but perhaps that's the way it's meant to be
But these guys have thoose wicked cheat codes that are hard to forgive

And that's not all
I gave Virtua Fighther 2 a chance
It seems that the key to real sucess not only involves thoose button kinks that I can't stand
It involves knowing the moveset of every character in the Game to come up with a very complex strategy like how to block the opponent's moves (every single one of them)
Am I stereotizing the fighing Games a lot by just mentioning Virtua Figther?

And will you pls explain me how do you guys overcome this darxide of the figthing genre?

I'm sure my spelling didn't go well
I'm sorry but that's it for today
Squire Grooktook

PowerofElsydeon wrote:And the second question was:

Should I ever forgive figthing Games for their rigid as hell combos and stuff?
A lot of modern, combo heavy games have very easy beginner combos that are fun and effortless to perform.

Then there are games like Samurai Shodown that basically don't have combos and live off of single strikes.

Virtua Fighter is pretty complex. I have a hard time with 3d fighters but 2d fighters are pretty easy and simple to me.

Aeon Zenith - My STG.
BIL

Post by BIL »

PowerofElsydeon wrote:I see no one is familiar with Batman Return of the Joker for Gameboy
And Well...It looks like an hardcore Ninja Game with both a grapling hook and Ninja Gaiden esque walljump and it kicked the Avgn's ass
I've never played it, but Ghegs posted about it in the topic's earlier pages. Always sounded rather vexingly flawed to me.
And can you explain a bit more about Revenge of Shinobi;Shinobi iii and Shinobi X pls?
I was about to stop takin' 'em seriously
But you said that 1ccing them on the hardest mode was no big deal
I take a more "choreographical" approach to ROS+Shinobi III than most sidescrollers. Obtuse enemy placement and powerdown-on-damage will hobble new players, who'll be too busy surviving to really exploit the neat guard, melee and doublejump mechanics. Once the basic layouts are down, you'll notice it gets progressively easier to incorporate moves and start choreographing your own badass ninja anime. You'll also have more ammo, on account of knowing where to expend it, and way more firepower on account of getting hit less (preferably not at all). With both games being very static, the obvious endgame is to play at maximum audacity. They are marvelously gymnastic, pyrotechnic experiences when you're no longer skirting around enemies but slaughtering them without breaking step (pardon III's unfortunate flirtation with autoscrollers... at least most of 'em look cool).

A self-imposed, style-centric challenge obviously isn't for everyone, and both games would certainly have benefited from some fine-tuning to be less thorny initially, less static later. The great movesets will redeem them hugely for some, however. Definitely not to be confused with run-of-the-mill rote memorisers.

Shinobi X/Legions aka Shin Shinobi Den is worth trying if you like the earlier two games; mechanically it's very much The Super Shinobi III. Loses on cool (the goofy Tokusatsu aesthetic is no match for the MD duo's sharply drawn, still-fresh near future style), but it handles superbly - I'm a big fan of the rolling katana somersault, and the katana's increased prominence in general. Not necessarily the greatest ninja sidescroller, but don't believe the mainstream's overblown claims of its kusoge-dom. Had it been the stylistic showpiece for the Saturn that SSI/II were for the MD, I'm sure a lot of its bad press would be nullified if not inverted.
And I have just one more doubt about Gaming Philosophy and then I can become an adult

And that is 1on1 games...
This and your subsequent post are discussion-worthy subjects for sure, but they're a bit outside this thread's scope. Start a new thread and I'll chuck in some posts. ;3 (props for mentioning AKI wrasslin - I just recently picked up VPW2 for my JP N64 collection, and I tells ya, TEH PAIN IS REAL)

Spoiler

Exemplars of 4P arcade brawling... simple but ruthlessly deep, and brutal.
Squire Grooktook wrote:Then there are games like Samurai Shodown that basically don't have combos and live off of single strikes.
I love that ethos... it's like the primordial doom sludge to KOF's speed metal or GG's prog thrash. I sometimes dream of a Ninja Warriors Again-style singleplane brawler with super attacks comparable to the sheer, staggering *BLAOW* of Sam Sho's biggest chops. Slicing through lines of goons with Kunoichi's katana (or blowing them away with Ninja's rockets - click) is always fun, and highly practical... but I wanna bring a preposterously mighty cleaver down and split a bad boss motherfucker clean in half. Image Such a grimly satisfying sense of impact in those fatal KOs.
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

BIL wrote:
PowerofElsydeon wrote:I see no one is familiar with Batman Return of the Joker for Gameboy
I've never played it, but Ghegs posted about it in the topic's earlier pages. Always sounded rather vexingly flawed to me.
I don't remember if I mentioned it, but I did eventually beat the thing enough times to pull off a no-death run (video here).

It's weird. Some romhack that forces you to grapple hook and walljump constantly could be pretty sweet.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Obscura wrote:instead of boring you to death as you fight a boss where neither of you can hurt each other.
Don't play the US version with checkpoints before bosses.
NYN

Post by NYN »

PowerofElsydeon wrote: and it kicked the Avgn's ass
That is humour, right? Just probing.
Don't wanna poke 'da Nerdo, but the show, at least to me, is infotainment. And a potty-mouthed at it.
Certainly no measure in terms of difficulty based on common reality. With the hyperbole as concept.
Just sayin', since a lot of young 'uns I observe do miss the joke often enough on several things and take it literally.

Gotta say though, it got a nice ring-ring to it. As meme I mean.
B-but, wait, no way. How is that possible?! It kicked the AVGN's ass, yo!
WhatImageeven mean, though?!
dingsbums

Post by dingsbums »

As long as we are on the topic of Game Boy Action games :) two absolute Favourites that I don't hear much about are:

1. Tail Gator / Shippo de Bun
Really nice GB exclusive Action Platformer from Natsume. I always wished that they ported this one to the FC / SFC, but it sadly never happened :( .

2. Shadow Warriors / Ninja Gaiden Shadow / Ninja Ryukenden GB
GB exclusive Ninja Gaiden game by Natsume / Tecmo, but it has a lot more in common with Shadow of the Ninja / Kage (FC). Either way one of the best GB action platformers you can buy. Awesome graphics, excellent music, tight gameplay => the only negative point is the game is to short (5 stages) & it's too easy (exept for stage 5).

I have them both (sadly) just loose but I'm on the lookout for complete copies. When you can get them for a good price, buy them you won't regret it :) .
https://twitter.com/Madstalker80
Skykid wrote: Get ready for the big bad world to fuck you up the ass in ways you never believed possible.
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

Ronyn wrote:Don't wanna poke 'da Nerdo, but the show, at least to me, is infotainment. And a potty-mouthed at it.
Certainly no measure in terms of difficulty based on common reality.[/i]
Yeah, it's obviously exaggerated acting.
ChurchOfSolipsism wrote:I'll make sure I'll download it illegally one day...
__SKYe

Post by __SKYe »

PowerofElsydeon wrote:What's the point of takin' em seriously when I'm on my own
I mean I'm prolly the only person whom takes Puyo Puyo seriously on my crappy land
Is there any real point in figthing the cpu if they say playin' against a friend is the real deal on theese kinds of Games
Or maybe real achievements have nothin' to do with that and 1ccing this beast is a real achievement
There is a point if you enjoy the game.
Although I wholeheartedly agree that these games are meant to be played 1-on-1, you can most definitely have fun playing them vs CPU.
For me, for example, getting a 1CC against the CPU means that I have achieved a reasonable competence level, in that game, that I'm satisfied with. Of course, if you ask whether I can win against skilled human opponents just because I 1CC'ed a game against the CPU, the answer is no.
But it allows me to experience such a game (albeit not completely), when otherwise (if I only played it if I had someone to play against) I would have disregarded it.
PowerofElsydeon wrote:And with Blades of Steel for Gameboy
I kicked the cpu's ass on hardest mode on my second day
(I'm sure if I had a pal that would be the real challenge)
So...what's the point?
None will play it with me seriously and the A.I. sucks.

So how much is worth a multiplayer Game on single player mode?
This happens when a 1-on-1 game offers a single player experience that isn't really balanced right (or as an afterthought).
But you can't use this as an example for every kind of vs CPU game out there. Just as that game is easy for you, there are others that will be hard.
This is where you decide if the game is worth playing (or 1CCing), regardless if it is a single player or a multiplayer one.
Squire Grooktook

BIL wrote:
Squire Grooktook wrote:Then there are games like Samurai Shodown that basically don't have combos and live off of single strikes.
I love that ethos... it's like the primordial doom sludge to KOF's speed metal or GG's prog thrash. I sometimes dream of a Ninja Warriors Again-style singleplane brawler with super attacks comparable to the sheer, staggering *BLAOW* of Sam Sho's biggest chops. Slicing through lines of goons with Kunoichi's katana (or blowing them away with Ninja's rockets - click) is always fun, and highly practical... but I wanna bring a preposterously mighty cleaver down and split a bad boss motherfucker clean in half. Image Such a grimly satisfying sense of impact in those fatal KOs.
I could go on at length on how Samurai Shodown is so brilliantly conceived as a weapon-based alternative to the contemporary fighters of the day.

RAGE <3

Aeon Zenith - My STG.
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

Squire Grooktook wrote:I could go on at length on how Samurai Shodown is so brilliantly conceived as a weapon-based alternative to the contemporary fighters of the day.
Off topic, but in your opinion which is better, IV or V Special?
ChurchOfSolipsism wrote:I'll make sure I'll download it illegally one day...
Squire Grooktook

soprano1 wrote:
Squire Grooktook wrote:I could go on at length on how Samurai Shodown is so brilliantly conceived as a weapon-based alternative to the contemporary fighters of the day.
I think I lean towards 5 Special between the two, but I'm not the best at the later games. More a fan of the deadly simplicity of the first two titles (especially 2).

Aeon Zenith - My STG.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

I think the password for hard mode may work for the JP and EU Konami GB Collection versions of Dracula Densetsu II/Belmont's Revenge, but in the version with the axe, it often locks up during gameplay. I thought it was my cart at first, but it's the same behavior in emulators. [blank], Orb, [blank], Orb is the password for all versions. Main difference is that getting hit by some enemies powers the whip down. Not sure if there are any other differences.

I recently beat Blaster Master Zero. Lots of Meta Fight references. Zone 4 has a jump onto a ladder ala Meta Fight, but lets you see the ladder before jumping. I liked it quite a bit overall. More Megaman-ish than the original (not suprising since Inti developed it) with some neat Mega Man X style boss intros and the ability to choose which power ups to use after upgrading in the overhead stages (some enemies/bosses are weak to certain power ups).
Spoiler
Stage 8 boss second form has text that says "The Ultimate Meta Fight". TLB in the secret stage nine, a face off against a taken over Sophia III, shows an intro similar to Meta Fight before facing the boss in Sophia Zero. There is mention of the name Kane Gardner in the true ending. The model number of Sophia III has the letters MA (as in Metal Attacker) in it.
I found out the full title of the FC Metal Fight, 超惑星戦記メタファイト, translates to something like "Super Planetary Warfare Meta Fight" (sing it to the theme of the Mega Man cartoon. Bing Translator translated it to "Blaster"). For some odd reason, the GBC game is just "Meta Fight EX" with the first part left out. The artwork for it is also very uninspired (like the game itself). The sound and music of the game is also disappointing. Doesn't come close to the early Sunsoft GB game sound and music.
Last edited by BrianC on Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mortificator

Post by Mortificator »

Squire Grooktook wrote:
soprano1 wrote:
I think I lean towards 5 Special between the two, but I'm not the best at the later games. More a fan of the deadly simplicity of the first two titles (especially 2).
Samurai Shodown II is easily my favorite as well, followed by V Special. I really don't like IV much at all. The slash / bust system makes me look at The Last Blade with longing, and to some degree the game feels not quite professional, like a III Rainbow Edition.
RegalSin wrote:You can't even drive across the country Naked anymore