Ninja Gaiden [NES] + R2RKMF: Scrolling Action Monogatari

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
__SKYe

Re: Ninja Gaiden [NES] + Scrolling Action Monogatari

Post by __SKYe »

So, Return of Double Dragon (SFC).

Yesterday, after my previous post, I played two more credits and confortably got the 1cc.
The game is actually fairly easy (but not on Hard, more on this below) and I'd rank it about the same as the Famicom games in terms of difficulty. Most of the damage taken on that first run was from getting used to the controls (always ended up blocking when trying to jump) and from trying to be fancy with the block move which, to be fair, is quite fun to (enemies getting pissed off when you throw them is an amazing detail). I also had some trouble with the twin kung-fu guys that appear a few times; kicking these recklessly tends to end up badly. :)
What puts the game on the easy side is that enemies are very vulnerable to close range attacks -- much like in the FC games. If you score a knockdown, then you simply get very close to the enemy's feet and do a combo as soon as they get up; I enjoy PPK. And to score a knockdown, all you have to do is perform a late/meaty jump kick, which works even against the tougher enemies that block (that is, jump towards them and wait until they stop blocking before kicking). This trivialises much of the challenge, even the last boss.

The weapons are nice, most of them returning from previous games (the boomerang is pretty amusing) but the nunchaku must be given a special mention because it is fantastic; you can take down anyone with it with little effort. Of course the levels are divided into separate sections so you can't ride with any weapon until the end.

More importantly, in my opinion, the game ditches most of the platforming and all of the cheap sections that haunted the previous games, leaving only the core beat-em-up experience. It also retains some of the constrained sections (depth plane-wise) present on the FC games, though none are strict 2D (nor as hard).

I was a bit disappointed with the last boss, though; he's not much different from the usual tough enemies.

I didn't want to post without at least trying Hard mode, and besides the usual increase in enemy aggressiveness (and maybe damage output?) it has a major difference to Normal mode -- enemies will block anything you do at close range. It requires a different approach to the game which I find quite nice (at least it did for me).

You can still score knockdowns with jump kicks, but the meaty jump kicks no longer work because enemies will keep blocking. Approaching them upfront can work, but is dangerous, so I found it best to throw a punch, move up/down slightly, throw another punch and hit them with a roundhouse while they're stunned (the one perfomed by holding either L/R shoulder and pressing kick). I've never seen this roundhouse fail, but the standard combo ending kick/roundhouse fails quite often.
Once they are down, there is something else you can do trap them. Instead of keeping close, move away just within kicking range, and perform a two-hit-kick as they get up (Down + Kick) followed by a roundhouse (R/L+kick). If the low kick hits the high kick always hits as well, so there is no danger of retaliation, but you must take care to be far away enough from the enemy, or they will block the kicks and probably hit you after that.

Of the Double Dragon games I've played this one is among my favourites, and very deserving of a chance. I still have to 1cc Hard mode, and also play the GBA game. :)
Last edited by __SKYe on Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

it290 wrote:
Stevens wrote:Also that face at the end was definitely NOT in the North American release.
Pretty sure that's in all versions of the game? Definitely in my US copy at any rate.
Also, on the arcade version, I'm pretty sure that the Buddhas go down in fewer hits if you're powered up.
Is it possible to reach them powered up in the AC version? I was under the impression that Joe starts each stage non-powered up in the AC version.
WelshMegalodon

Post by WelshMegalodon »

I've always been curious - is there any upside to using shuriken sparingly and relying mainly on swordplay in the original Shinobi? Or should you just go in guns blazing?
Indie hipsters: "Arcades are so dead"
Finite Continues? Ain't that some shit.
RBelmont wrote:A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire
it290

Post by it290 »

BrianC wrote:Is it possible to reach them powered up in the AC version? I was under the impression that Joe starts each stage non-powered up in the AC version.
You're correct. Was basing my comment off the M2 version where this is possible (shame). ST3 boss first phase is indeed much harder with shurikens, but definitely doable without having died previously.
WelshMegalodon wrote:I've always been curious - is there any upside to using shuriken sparingly and relying mainly on swordplay in the original Shinobi? Or should you just go in guns blazing?
You get 20,000 points for every stage you clear without using projectiles, which is pretty significant if you can do it for a few levels. Other than that, the melee attack can be a little more reliable for taking out enemies at times, especially the shield bros and ninjas, but the hitbox is also bigger on melee, so it can make targeting some of the boss weak points (like the St3 Mandorla face) easier if you go that route as well.
We here shall not rest until we have made a drawing-room of your shaft, and if you do not all finally go down to your doom in patent-leather shoes, then you shall not go at all.
WelshMegalodon

Post by WelshMegalodon »

it290 wrote:You get 20,000 points for every stage you clear without using projectiles, which is pretty significant if you can do it for a few levels. Other than that, the melee attack can be a little more reliable for taking out enemies at times, especially the shield bros and ninjas, but the hitbox is also bigger on melee, so it can make targeting some of the boss weak points (like the St3 Mandorla face) easier if you go that route as well.
I figured it would have something to do with scoring! Thanks for the info. Mandara I will have to try with melee when I can actually make it there.
BareKnuckleRoo wrote:I feel really bad for people who go a long time without reading the game manual and don't realize recovering from enemy throws is a thing (it's not something you'd find on your own as there's no ingame instructions). It's definitely not a cheat though, lots of enemies have slamming throws that can't be recovered out of. :lol: Congrats on the 1CC.
Yes, I lost many a life to Zamza learning that the hard way. :lol: These days I can't fathom playing games from this era without a manual in hand. Far fewer children of the 80s would have grown to despise arcade-style games and their "fake difficulty" if they had only bothered to read the manual. Thanks for the congrats.
Indie hipsters: "Arcades are so dead"
Finite Continues? Ain't that some shit.
RBelmont wrote:A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

it290 wrote:
Stevens wrote:Also that face at the end was definitely NOT in the North American release.
Pretty sure that's in all versions of the game? Definitely in my US copy at any rate.
Also, on the arcade version, I'm pretty sure that the Buddhas go down in fewer hits if you're powered up.
Maybe my memory is shit on this account? It has been 33 years since I played it:D Can't remember it for the life of me.
My lord, I have come for you.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

I definitely recall that face in every version of the game I've played.
BIL

Post by BIL »

__SKYe wrote:I didn't want to post without at least trying Hard mode, and besides the usual increase in enemy aggressiveness (and maybe damage output?) it has a major difference to Normal mode -- enemies will block anything you do at close range. It requires a different approach to the game which I find quite nice (at least it did for me).
I had no idea their turtling routine was a Hard-exclusive thing!
You can still score knockdowns with jump kicks, but the meaty jump kicks no longer work because enemies will keep blocking. Approaching them upfront can work, but is dangerous, so I found it best to throw a punch, move up/down slightly, throw another punch and hit them with a roundhouse while they're stunned (the one perfomed by holding either L/R shoulder and pressing kick). I've never seen this roundhouse fail, but the standard combo ending kick/roundhouse fails quite often.
Once they are down, there is something else you can do trap them. Instead of keeping close, move away just within kicking range, and perform a two-hit-kick as they get up (Down + Kick) followed by a roundhouse (R/L+kick). If the low kick hits the high kick always hits as well, so there is no danger of retaliation, but you must take care to be far away enough from the enemy, or they will block the kicks and probably hit you after that.
Not sure if you're aware, but you can also just let them retreat from their hardcoded turtling range, then beat them to the punch. I wrote a bit about it here - suffice to say, I really like this "choreographic" element. Feels like you're filming a fight scene, not exactly the hardcore kill/be killed Technos aesthetic, but they've got plenty of those already. :mrgreen: It dovetails perfectly into the armlock mechanic, too. Also a nice source of potential drama if they duck your attack (SFC-exclusive mechanic), in which case you really will need to lock 'em up!

Of the Double Dragon games I've played this one is among my favourites, and very deserving of a chance. I still have to 1cc Hard mode, and also play the GBA game. :)
Coincidentally, DD Advance and Return were both directed by self-professed "kicking geek" Muneki Ebinuma. :smile: Although they're diametric opposites, in a sense - Return being flashy and experimental versus DDA's militant hardcore - you can definitely see his filmic touch in the latter's lethal, KOF-style command barrages (from players and enemies alike!).
Spoiler
Beware "Agent Jeff!" Image

Being a bit snowed-under lately, I road-tested a few prospective ACA pickups. I think Athena's goddamn-near-kusoge quality (and my inevitable salvager's compulsion :shock:) scarred me for life. It's the only digital release I've been tempted to delete. Image For the love of god and all that is holy, stick to Psycho Soldier. Image

Datsugoku: Prisoners of War Stevens wasn't kidding, this thing would seem to be a true one move only affair. I'm not necessarily against such things, provided either A: it's a satisfying move, or B: you can still have fun working with the rest of the moveset. This doesn't seem like either, unfortunately. Dunno if I'll bother with this one. I do like the KO animations, at least. Blaow! Classic NAMsploitative atmosphere, too.

Besides SNK's customarily hearty Famicom interpretation (see also the genuinely superb Guevara and Ikari III) having slightly beefier combat, I was surprised to learn several bosses and enemies are unique to it. AC st3's waterfall is also strictly decorative, where the FC has you wade in for a bit of Frogman slapping.

Even the FC incarnation isn't all that great, tbh, being a classic case of solid engine/great presentation/lacking arrangement, but the variety is certainly appreciated. I'd love a gutsier arrangement using st2's badass shotgun grenadier and his lethal mixup as a regular midboss, plus cameos from st4's volatile APC and st5's Super Muscle Bro. The regular enemies aren't up to much, unfortunately. Annoyingly, both versions are overly fond of the "dudes run in, throw grenades / knives, leave" pattern.

AC scores a small but significant victory with its Bikers visibly revving up before tearing across the screen. FC just spawns them right in your fuckin face with rote memo the only recourse, dohohoho. AC soundtrack seems different too, I prefer the manful jungle BGM to the FC's jaunty Rolling Thunder-esque.

Cyber-Lip Bad controls. >_< "Cinematic" quick ledge drop is annoying, but could be overlooked (don't expect to Contra your way up and down the st1 boss's platforms, your ass will be cinematically fried). What I can't be arsed with ATM is the temperamental upshot, which manages to be even more annoying than the AC Contras' aim lag. Takes its time getting out, and will erratically shuffle your character a few steps forward in the process. The recurring helicopter midboss and flying drones illustrate... you might hope juggling ground and air enemies would be second nature, but for all the world, this reminds me of Raf World (FC)'s sludgy controls transposed onto Contra's 1HKO format.

MUTANT NIGHT Ho ho hoooly fuck that's a great name. Image Intriguingly big, bold take on sidescrolling run/gun, with UPL's customarily vivid style. Action is primordially simple yet tense dodge/shoot, befitting the big cartoony sprites - stages often consisting of one or two enemy types teeming across long flat expanses. Default character's shot kinda sucks, and he's a big target, but he can walk on air, among the most endearingly bent takes on doublejumping I can recall.

Powerups are gleefully random. Sometimes you become an invincible giant, splattering all in your way, the screen juddering with every titanic step. Sometimes you break down into a swarm of mini-Mutrons, the trailing horde shredding foes, though the leader remains all too vulnerable. Too early to say much more, but I like what (I think) it's going for.

Sadly, just like earlier UPL sidescrolling gem Ninja-Kun II, it offsets the scrolling character slightly to the right. As with that game, the action is simple and blunderbussing enough to survive, but my god - it takes a lot for me to overlook flawed camera tracking nowadays. I got too many games that nail it square, frequently ones in need of authoritative clears. Image
__SKYe

Post by __SKYe »

BIL wrote:I had no idea their turtling routine was a Hard-exclusive thing!
I remembered the game having shown up many pages back (and is the reason I wanted to play it) but not the content of the posts. If I had read them it would have been apparent you'd been playing Hard. :)

Their propensity to retreat when you're too close is the same as on Hard, the difference is that they will never block while retreating.
BIL wrote:Not sure if you're aware, but you can also just let them retreat from their hardcoded turtling range, then beat them to the punch. I wrote a bit about it here - suffice to say, I really like this "choreographic" element. Feels like you're filming a fight scene, not exactly the hardcore kill/be killed Technos aesthetic, but they've got plenty of those already. :mrgreen: It dovetails perfectly into the armlock mechanic, too. Also a nice source of potential drama if they duck your attack (SFC-exclusive mechanic), in which case you really will need to lock 'em up!
Thanks, I'll re-read it before my next excursion into Hard. I really only played one run of Hard mode to see if there were significant changes. Knowing how different DD2FC Normal and Hard are, I couldn't just post without at least getting a taste for it. :)

I've meant to ask, do you ever use the fully charged special attacks? It would likely be pretty boring to perform those all the time. Cheap even, given the lack of a stage timer.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Nah, I've never bothered with the charge meter, to date. The spinkick takes forever to charge up, and seems fickle to connect - I've managed to multi-hit Steve and other boss types with it, but it'll just as often whiff. As for the ANGREH/IKARI mode... its instant knockdowns would be a lot more appealing if the game had ground pounds. :mrgreen:

I wonder if it's possible to do something interesting with the spinkick's combo property, but even then, there'd still be the charge time. Seems like a rushed mechanic tbh, symptomatic of the game's harried dev schedule.
__SKYe

Post by __SKYe »

Same. Perhaps an Ikari mode of your own, after taking some damage, would be more fitting (such as the one in Rushing Beat).

Well, I'll have to try DDA soon. :)
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

BIL wrote:Cyber-Lip Bad controls. >_< "Cinematic" quick ledge drop is annoying, but could be overlooked (don't expect to Contra your way up and down the st1 boss's platforms, your ass will be cinematically fried). What I can't be arsed with ATM is the temperamental upshot, which manages to be even more annoying than the AC Contras' aim lag. Takes its time getting out, and will erratically shuffle your character a few steps forward in the process. The recurring helicopter midboss and flying drones illustrate... you might hope juggling ground and air enemies would be second nature, but for all the world, this reminds me of Raf World (FC)'s sludgy controls transposed onto Contra's 1HKO format.
I was playing this a few weeks ago and ran into these as well. I honestly thought there was something wrong with my game, when I kept moving forward a few steps after not pushing forward. My solution was, oddly enough, similar to my Contra solution to up-aiming: Completely release the joystick and buttons for a split second, then push the direction I want and shoot. Also have to agree with the down jump on the first boss, I started just walking off the ledge instead of attempting to down jump.
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

I wouldn't call Cyberlip's controls "bad" since I cleared it without much effort or patience (long ago, anyway). Shooting upwards lags a bit sometimes with normal and auto if I remember but not with wide, which is the one to choose normally unless you're facing strong enemies. A faster roll move is what I missed to make of it something useful, but again, not really needed for the clear. A much better game than the overpraised Journey to Silius, what can I say.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Thanks to both of you for the advice, will give it another go!

I've heard others say it's all too easy, but I never mind that too much. More concerned with style and pace. Metal Slug, Strider and Elevator Action Returns are all relative pushover 1CCs but I'll replay them any time.

I definitely wouldn't call Raf World/Silius a great run/gun. Sticky, needlessly "cinematic" controls/animation, compounded by stage design that often mandates painstaking memorisation to avoid damage sponging... it's very flawed. Having said that, the bleak (yet sleek!) technocidal atmosphere and booming OST are killer, and once you've wrangled the trouble spots, it does gain a decently arcadey flow. I like having it around, but I wouldn't play it without autofire.
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

Pace is not that bad, really. You need to switch weapons (which are not few), take care of your options' life, many stages have autoscrolling... Calling it "slow" would be like calling Rtype "slow", I'd say. It's a fun game once you give it a good try because it's fair and concise (unlike Raf World), but it's indeed somewhat archaic compared to Metal Slug - and I don't mean just "visually". And hey, it's Terminator meets Star Wars - beat that.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

I think Cyber-Lip is pretty good for an early-ish Neo Geo title. Maybe the controls weren't as polished as they could be, but I didn't have any issues with them.
kitten

Post by kitten »

mutant night is on ps4? really tempting, i've watched a longplay a couple of times because it's so... weird.

the only UPL game i can think of that i've given any time to is gomola speed, which i really like quite a bit. held back a bit by some quirkiness getting in the way of the design (reminds me almost of data east games), but it's good stuff beyond just the unique premise. been meaning to go back to it and nab a 1cc for some time - or a nomiss? man, where did i leave that game off...
~Imagination and memory are but one thing, which for diverse considerations have diverse names~
Image | Image
~*~*~*~*~*~* If there's a place that I could be ~ Then I'd be another memory *~*~*~*~*~*~
BIL

Post by BIL »

Put a few more credits on Cyber-Lip this afternoon, made it to stage 5 (I think? past the second alien dickmonster). That's a good tip on Wide lacking the upshot glitch - you can't run while firing it, but that's not such a big deal in this game. Attempting to play it like Contra is a bad idea with the aggressive prohibition on diagonal firing, let alone jumping downshots... scoot n' shoot works fine, or standing your ground while blasting incoming threats. On that note, the autoscrolling stages are surprisingly entertaining, good balance of platforming and shooting.

Annoyances besides the upshot glitch (went for a shot, got railroaded straight out of my safespot into above dickmonster's spewing ceiling-nutsack :| ) are the busted camera tracking when hyper-hopping forward (you'll soon hit the screen edge), and the weapon switch on pickup. Grenades should've been on the D button, absolute deathtrap if you're switched to them with enemies nearby.

I really like the super jump on up+B! Where the shooting is relatively reserved, you can really aggressively vault into/out of situations. Solid little game once you adjust to the deceptively strict shooting. Difficulty feels nearer an arcadey console game, seems it'd be an enjoyable no-miss project. Great "dudes on a mission" vibe as you infiltrate the supercomputer's complex.
kitten wrote:mutant night is on ps4? really tempting, i've watched a longplay a couple of times because it's so... weird.

the only UPL game i can think of that i've given any time to is gomola speed, which i really like quite a bit. held back a bit by some quirkiness getting in the way of the design (reminds me almost of data east games), but it's good stuff beyond just the unique premise. been meaning to go back to it and nab a 1cc for some time - or a nomiss? man, where did i leave that game off...
UPL seem like cool eccentric cats. Ninja-kun II is good stuff, wrote a bit about it here. Like any good Japanese 80s dev, they have a nice slate of STGs and borderliners, too. It's been great seeing their stuff receive quality home releases, after a near-total absence from prior arcade-capable generations! I feel similarly about NMK.

Now - horeh sheeit! :o I had no idea the arcade version of Taito's Front Line uses rotary controls! A dial, rather than a twisting stick ala SNK, but regardless, this seems like the Ikari Zero that TANK most definitely isn't. The boned camera tracking makes my teeth hurt, as always, but the relatively low game speed seems to offset it. God damn, scrolling camera tracking is a cruelly underrated discipline.

Chuck a grenade then run after it to suicide, lmao! Early going seems low-intensity compared to Ikari's relentless death march, but the sniping feels sharp. Has a similarly choppy-yet-consistent framerate to Elevator Action.

The conventionally scrolling STG Wild Western seems like a companion piece. Similar control setup, loud yet articulate visuals and sharp shooting.
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

BIL wrote:Grenades should've been on the D button, absolute deathtrap if you're switched to them with enemies nearby
That's a common issue with some early NG games (Alpha Mission II being the worst offender) - unfortunately SNK preferred not to go beyond the JAMMA canon at first so that the MVS platform could get the biggest expansion. For sport and quiz games they made an exception though.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Makes sense! Would also explain NAM-1975's slightly annoying dodge roll input (diagonally downward while holding C, which is also the button you hold to dash horizontally, making accidental rolls dangerously easy to trigger... although once it's adjusted to, I kinda like the sense of momentum).
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

BIL wrote:I had no idea the arcade version of Taito's Front Line uses rotary controls! A dial, rather than a twisting stick ala SNK, but regardless, this seems like the Ikari Zero that TANK most definitely isn't.
I think Front Line uses the same control panel as Tin Star. It's rather interesting to look back at these; for the longest time I thought Forgotten Worlds was the only game that used "push the dial to shoot".
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Played a credit of Dogo this afternoon for the first time in a long time.

Got to the end of the 2nd area. I forgot how fast it ramps up.
My lord, I have come for you.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Jeneki wrote:I think Front Line uses the same control panel as Tin Star.
Funny you mention that, since the latter was just announced for Arcade Archives!
BIL

Post by BIL »

BrianC wrote:
Jeneki wrote:I think Front Line uses the same control panel as Tin Star.
Funny you mention that, since the latter was just announced for Arcade Archives!
Good stuff. Somewhere Drum is happy, I hope. Image
Stevens wrote:Played a credit of Dogo this afternoon for the first time in a long time.

Got to the end of the 2nd area. I forgot how fast it ramps up.
Yup, green barricade zone is officially Shit Gets Real-vile! I like how between the opening BAZOOKAMANIA and the latter half's JUDGMENT SWORD, the game throws in a conventional firefight. Clear them corners! Image
Sir Ilpalazzo

Post by Sir Ilpalazzo »

Finally cleared Metal Slug X. The game really is better than the original Metal Slug. I was slightly put off by the slower-paced stage 2 when I first got into the game, but once I took the time to learn the final stages, it became apparent that X really has better battles and an overall more consistent level of quality (stages 4 and 5 are both really great, and I like the big endurance test at the end of stage 6). My only real complaints, beyond stage 2 being just a little slack, are the very beginning of stage 6 (that wall of bottle rockets right at the start is absurd if you face it head-on and seems to exist only to force abusive, unenjoyable tactics or sap lives from you) and the final boss (I like that you're encouraged to play smart with your resources going into the final battles, especially because of the impact this has on the difficult fights at the end of stage 6, but the degree to which the UFOs' random drops and the black UFOs' random flight patterns and shots control the Rugname mothership battle is a little too much). I at least no-missed up to the final battle, which I'm happy with, but I'm tempted to go back sometime and nail that final battle down further.

I've started playing 3, after having been meaning to for years. I can't really say anything on it beyond a few preliminary impressions, but I really appreciate how harsh it can get right out of the gate - the firefight with the helicopters in stage 2 and the fights with the soldiers in the stage 3 factory, if you let them get out of control, are as vicious and volatile as some of the nastiest battles in the previous games, and the aliens that precede the stage 2 boss feel harder than almost any of the bosses from the first two games. The steady escalation from 1 to X to 3 is interesting to see; I can't think of consistent console action game series that ramp up quite the same way from game to game. I don't think I intend on dedicating myself to a clear of 3, especially not coming right from X, but I do want to at least make it into the final stage, which should be doable enough.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Well done! I still haven't summoned the will to break that traditional Metal Slug endgame hellspike.

You won't have any trouble reaching MS3's final mission, though in appropriately climactic form, it's IIRC as long as the preceding four combined (though not if you factor in all their alternate paths), and loaded with deadly setpieces. I've a love/hate relationship with it - there's stuff I'd condense heavily, but I'm glad it turned out the way it did. The exhaustion of a clear feels especially germane with the titanic struggle and sacrifices depicted onscreen. :mrgreen: "ALL ABOUT LOVE" is debatably paced, but there's no denying the affection Nazca/SNK put into the last hurrah. Image

---

By the by, there's four posts left before page 300. Having thought about the formatting a bit, I'm gonna stick the thread index down here, so it's nice and out of the way (yet easily linked-to!). Will gradually flesh it out, and it'll inevitably be tinkered with ad infinitum going forward - just wanted to give a heads-up that it's coming, rather than having a relatively mousewheel-taxing (and long-procrastinated on :oops:) post explode into existence unannounced. Image
Mortificator

Post by Mortificator »

Sir Ilpalazzo wrote:Finally cleared Metal Slug X. The game really is better than the original Metal Slug. I was slightly put off by the slower-paced stage 2 when I first got into the game, but once I took the time to learn the final stages, it became apparent that X really has better battles and an overall more consistent level of quality (stages 4 and 5 are both really great, and I like the big endurance test at the end of stage 6). My only real complaints, beyond stage 2 being just a little slack, are the very beginning of stage 6 (that wall of bottle rockets right at the start is absurd if you face it head-on and seems to exist only to force abusive, unenjoyable tactics or sap lives from you) and the final boss (I like that you're encouraged to play smart with your resources going into the final battles, especially because of the impact this has on the difficult fights at the end of stage 6, but the degree to which the UFOs' random drops and the black UFOs' random flight patterns and shots control the Rugname mothership battle is a little too much). I at least no-missed up to the final battle, which I'm happy with, but I'm tempted to go back sometime and nail that final battle down further.

I've started playing 3, after having been meaning to for years. I can't really say anything on it beyond a few preliminary impressions, but I really appreciate how harsh it can get right out of the gate - the firefight with the helicopters in stage 2 and the fights with the soldiers in the stage 3 factory, if you let them get out of control, are as vicious and volatile as some of the nastiest battles in the previous games, and the aliens that precede the stage 2 boss feel harder than almost any of the bosses from the first two games. The steady escalation from 1 to X to 3 is interesting to see; I can't think of consistent console action game series that ramp up quite the same way from game to game. I don't think I intend on dedicating myself to a clear of 3, especially not coming right from X, but I do want to at least make it into the final stage, which should be doable enough.
Good job with X! You got all the Metal Slug bonuses too, I'd be tempted to finish off some bosses via frontal attack. I'd put this game at the top of the series.

Concerning Metal Slug 3, stage 2 has zombification & de-zombification options right before the monoeye aliens. There are runs out there where players speedkill them with precision vomit, but getting off one blood stream and going human is enough for me. The stage 4 boss can be borderline unfair when you draw the yellow bullet attack with a bad random pattern. And some stuff in stage 5's mothership you can't really anticipate, it'll almost certainly get you the first time. Unless you're super-strict on your one-credit rule some practice via the debug menu checkpoint warp will let you learn it without suffering through the preceding bloat each run.
RegalSin wrote:You can't even drive across the country Naked anymore
BIL

R2RINDEX

Post by BIL »

< Back to Front Page
THREAD INDEX: # A B C D E F G H
I J K L M N O P Q >
R S T U V W X Y Z [Misc] [Plus] >>>

Howdy! By popular request, here is a small navigational aid for our amiably labyrinthine thread. Image Special thanks to dojo_b for proposing the idea, __SKYe for creating the index's first iteration, and all other contributors!

Because the thread favours relaxed discussion over formal reporting, this index is a little scattershot. You will often find relevant replies and followups in the vicinity of linked posts, so have a look around. Similarly, a link may lead to a post covering multiple games. A minority of links lead to related threads, which are collected in [Plus]. Spiritually akin, and well worth exploring in their own right!

If there's anything you'd like linked here, or if I've mislabelled something, please PM me and I'll fix it. Regs Biruford Image

[Standalone Games in Yellow] [Series Debuts in Green] [Sequels in Pink]

#
Spoiler
2010 Street Fighter [FC] aka Street Fighter 2010

> 1LC Review (BIL)

8 Eyes [FC]

> Short Review #1 & Short Review #2 (BIL)
A
Spoiler
ActRaiser [SFC]

ActRaiser II [SFC]

> 1CC Review (BIL)
> GD: Difficulty 202 Clear

Air Fortress [FC]

> Short Review (BIL)

Akumajou Dracula [FDS/FC/AC] aka Castlevania

> Arcade: 2-ALL Writeup (BIL)
> ST, All Versions: Loop 2 Catacomb Safe Route (BIL)
> ST, All Versions: Stage 6 Bridge + Tower Route (BIL)
> ST, All Versions: Dracula 2nd Form Jumps (BIL)

Akumajou Densetsu [FC] aka Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse

Akumajou Dracula [AC] aka Haunted Castle

> 1CC Review (BIL)

Akumajou Dracula [MSX2] aka Vampire Killer

Akumajou Dracula [SFC] aka Super Castlevania IV

Akumajou Dracula [X68000] aka Castlevania Chronicles

Akumajou Dracula: Circle of the Moon [GBA] aka Castlevania...

> Full Review (BIL)
> ST: All Classes Unlocked Savefile (BIL)

Akumajou Dracula: Gallery of Labyrinth [NDS] aka Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin

Akumajou Dracula: Sogetsu no Jujika [NDS] aka Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow

Akumajou Dracula: Ubawareta Kokuin [NDS] aka Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia

> Full Review (BIL)

Akumajou Dracula X: Chi no Rondo [PCE-CD] aka Dracula X: The Rondo of Blood

Akumajou Dracula X: Gekka no Yasokyoku [PS1/SAT] aka Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

> PlayStation: Full Review, Revisiting (Squire Grooktook)

Akumajou Dracula XX [SFC] aka Castlevania: Dracula X / Castlevania: Vampire's Kiss

> 1LC Writeup, Best End (BIL)
> 1CC Review, Worst End (Vanguard)

Akumajou Special: Boku Dracula-kun [FC/GB]

> Famicom: 1CC Review (CIT)

Castlevania: Akatsuki no Minuet [GBA] aka Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow

> Full Review (BIL)

Castlevania: Byakuya no Concerto [GBA] aka Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance

> Full Review #1 & #2 (BIL)

Dracula II [FDS] aka Castlevania II: Simon's Quest

> NES: Full Review (__SKYe)

Dracula Densetsu [GB] aka Castlevania Adventure, The

> 1LC Review (BIL)

Dracula Densetsu II [GB] aka Castlevania Adventure II: Belmont's Revenge, The

> 1LC Review (BIL)
> 1LC Hard Review (BIL)
> VER: Walk Speed Hack Review (BIL)

Vampire Killer [MD] aka Castlevania Bloodlines / Castlevania: The New Generation

> 1LC Review, Eric, Bloodlines/Expert (Squire Grooktook)
> ST: Light / Heavy Attack Dynamic (BIL)
> VER: Vampire Killer VS Bloodlines, Expert Difficulty (BIL)

Alien (License)

Alien 3 [MD/SFC/GB]

> Mega Drive: Short Review (BIL)

Aliens [AC]

> VER: Japan vs World/US (Iron Giant)

Alien Hominid [PS2/GCN/XB/PC/360]

> 360, Full Review (BareKnuckleRoo)

Alien Soldier [MD]

> 1CC Review + Writeup (Durandal)
> ST: Basic Tips (BIL)

Ankoku Densetsu [PCE] aka The Legendary Axe II

> 1CC Review (CIT)
> 1CC Review (kitten)
> Short Review (BIL)

Argus no Senshi [AC] aka Rygar

> Arcade: Short Review (BIL)
> Arcade: 1CC Review + Primer (BIL)

Assault Suit Leynos [MD/PS4] aka Target Earth

> OG Assault Suits Trilogy: 1CC Overview (BIL)
> PlayStation 4: 1CC Full Review + Writeup (kitten)

Assault Suit Leynos 2 [SAT]

Assault Suits Valken [SFC] aka Cybernator

> ST: Punch Is Strong As Hell (BIL)

Armed Blue: Gunvolt [3DS/NSW/PS4/PC] aka Azure Striker Gunvolt

> Full Review (TransatlanticFoe)
B
Spoiler
Bare Knuckle [MD/GG] aka Streets of Rage

> ST, Mega Drive: Combat System (__SKYe)

Bare Knuckle II [MD/GG] aka Streets of Rage II

> Mega Drive: 1CC Review (CIT)
> Mega Drive: 1CC Review (Perikles)

Bare Knuckle III [MD] aka Streets of Rage III

> Short Review (__SKYe)
> 1CC Review + Writeup, Axel (__SKYe)
> 1CC Review + Writeup, Blaze (__SKYe)
> 1CC Review + Writeup, Sammy (__SKYe)

Batman (License)

Batman [FC/MD/PCE/GB] aka Batman: The Video Game

> Famicom: 1LC Review + Writeup #1 & 1LC Review + Writeup #2 (BIL)

Batman & Robin [MD]

> 1CC Review (Sumez)

Dynamite Batman [FC] aka Batman: Return of the Joker

> 1LC Review + Writeup (BIL)

Bishoujou Senshi Sailor Moon (License)

Bishoujou Senshi Sailor Moon [MD/SFC]

> Mega Drive: Full Review (__SKYe)
> VER: Mega Drive vs Super Famicom (__SKYe)

Bishoujou Senshi Sailor Moon R [SFC]

> Journal [1] [2] [3] (__SKYe)

Blazing Chrome [PC/PS4]

> 1CC Review (Volteccer_Jack)

Bleed [PC/XB360/PS4/NSW]

> Arcade Mode, Very Hard Clear Writeup (kitten)

Bouhou Koumakyou: Scarlet Family [PC]

> Full Review (Vanguard)

Bouhou Koumakyou: Scarlet Family 2 [PC]

> Full Review (Vanguard)

Bouhou Youyoumu [PC]

> Full Review (Vanguard)

Browning [PCE-CD]

> 1CC Review (EmperorIng)

Bubble Bobble [AC/FDS/SMS]

> ST, Arcade: Beginner's Guide (Sumez)

Rainbow Islands: The Story of Bubble Bobble 2 [AC/PCE-CD/MD]

> PC Engine CD: Short Review (BIL)

Parasol Stars: The Story of Bubble Bobble III [PCE]

> 1CC Review (Sumez)

Bucky O' Hare [AC/FC]

> Famicom: 1CC Review (BIL)
C
Spoiler
Cabal [AC/NES]

> Arcade: Journal [1] [2] (__SKYe)

Cadash [AC/MD/PCE]

> Mega Drive: 1CC Review & PC Engine Comparison (CIT)
> ST, Arcade: Character Differences (Vanguard)
> ST, Arcade: Hidden Secrets [1] [2] [3] (Vanguard & CIT)
> VER: Arcade vs Mega Drive vs PC Engine (Vanguard)

Cave Noire [GB]

> Full Review #1 #2 (__SKYe)

Choujin Sentai Jetman [FC]

> 1CC Review (BIL)
> 1CC Review (kitten)

Chou Wakusei Senki Metafight [FC] aka Blaster Master

> 1LC Review (BIL)

Blaster Master Zero [PS4/PC/NSW]

> Full Review (BIL)

Blaster Master Zero 2 [PS4/PC/NSW]

> Short Review & Full Review (BIL)

Combatribes, The [AC/SFC]

> Super Famicom: Full Review (kitten)

Contra [AC/FC/MSX2] aka Gryzor [AC], Probotector [NES]

> Arcade: 1LC Review (BIL)
> Series, Quick Review (Mortificator)

Contra [GB] aka Operation C / Probotector

> 1LC Review (BIL)

Contra Hard Corps [MD] aka Mega Probotector

> 1LC All Routes Review (BIL)
> 1LC All Routes Review (pegboy)

Contra Hard Spirits [GBA] aka Contra Advance: The Alien Wars EX

> 1CC Review (BIL)

Contra Spirits [SFC/GB] aka Contra III: The Alien Wars / Super Probotector [SNES], Probotector 2 [GB]

> Super Famicom: Hard 1LC Review (BIL)
> Super Famicom: Hard 1LC Review (pegboy)
> Super Famicom: Hard 1CC Review + Writeup (Durandal)
> Super Famicom: Hard 1CC Review (Vanguard)
> ST, Super Famicom: Beginner's Guide, C+C Exploit (BIL)
> ST, Super Famicom: Stage 4 Boss, Hard (BIL)
> ST, Super Famicom: Stage 5 Boss, Hard (BIL)

Neo Contra [PS2]

> S-Rank + 1LC Writeup (BIL)
> S-Rank + 1LC Review + Writeup (pegboy)

Shin Contra [PS2] aka Contra: Shattered Soldier

> S-Rank Review (Sir Ilpalazzo)
> S-Rank Review (BIL)

Super Contra [AC/FC] aka Probotector II [NES]

> Arcade: 1CC Review (Vanguard)
> Famicom: 1LC Review (BIL)
> Famicom: 7-ALL Writeup (kitten)
> ST, Famicom: Stage 5 Boss (BIL)
> ST, Famicom: Stage 6 Sarlaac Field (Obscura)

Crude Buster [AC/MD] aka Two Crude [AC], Two Crude Dudes [MD]

> Mega Drive: Short Review (BIL)
> Mega Drive: 1CC Journal [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] (__SKYe)
> ST, Mega Drive: Advanced Enemy Takedowns (__SKYe)
> VER: Mega Drive vs Arcade (__SKYe)

Crossfire [FC]

> Short Review (kitten)

Cuphead [PC/PS4/NSW]

> 1CC Review (Squire Grooktook)

Cyber-Lip [NEO]

> 1CC Review + Writeup (CIT)
> Short Review (BIL)
D
Spoiler
Dahna: Megami Tanjou [MD]

> 1CC Review (BIL)
> 1CC Review (CIT)

Datsugoku: Prisoners of War [AC/FC]

> Famicom: Short Review & 1CC Followup (BIL)

Demon Front [AC]

> Short Review (Sumez)

Denjin Makai [AC] aka Guardians

Ghost Chaser Densei [SFC]

> Full Review (kitten)

Devil Hunter Yoko: Dai Seven no Keisho [MD]

> Short Review & 1LC Review (BIL)
> 1CC Review (kitten)

Dicing Knight. [WSC]

> Full Review (Vanguard)

Disney (License)

Aladdin [MD, SFC]

> Mega Drive: 1CC Review (BIL)

Wanpaku Duck Yume Daibouken [NES, GB] aka Ducktales

> NES & GB: Disney Duck 1LC Review Megapost feat. Ducktales, Donald & Darkwing Duck (kitten)

Double Dragon [AC/FC/GB/SMS/GEN]

> Famicom: 1CC Review + ST: Combat Guide (BIL)
> ST, Famicom: Mission 4 Wall (BIL)

Double Dragon II: The Revenge [AC/FC/PCE]

> Arcade: 1LC Review + Writeup (BIL)
> Arcade: Default DIP Setttings (BIL)
> Arcade GD: Red Blood, DIP settings, Technos Miscs

> Famicom: 1LC Hard Writeup (BIL)
> ST / Famicom: Mission 4 Hard Corridor (BIL)
> VER / Famicom vs NES Difficulty (BIL)

Double Dragon III: The Rosetta Stone [AC/FC/GEN] aka ...The Sacred Stones

> Famicom: 1LC Review (BIL)

Double Dragon Advance [GBA]

> 1CC Review (BIL)

Return of Double Dragon [SFC] aka Super Double Dragon

> 1CC Review (__SKYe)
> ST: Enemy Blocking AI (BIL)

Dragon Fighter [FC]

> 1CC Hard Review + Writeup (BIL)
> 1CC Hard Review + Writeup (Imhotep)
> ST: Hard Mode Code (Imhotep)

Dragon Slayer [PC-88]

Dragon Slayer IV: Drasle Family [MSX/FC]

> Full Review (BIL)
> Full Review (Vanguard)
> ST: Fight Pochi's Boss Without Pochi (BIL)

Dread Lock [PC]

> 1CC Review (BIL)

Duke Nukem [PC]

Duke Nukem II [PC/GBC]

> Game Boy Color: Short Review (Mortificator)

Dungeons & Dragons (License)

Tower of Doom [AC]

> ST: Beginner's Guide #1 & #2, plus Black Dragon Strategies (Vludi)
E
Spoiler
El Viento [MD]

> 1CC Review (BIL)
F
Spoiler
G
Spoiler
Getsu Fuuma Den [FC]

> Short Review (BIL)

Goemon, Mr. [AC]

Ganbare Goemon: Yukihime Kyushutsu Emaki [SFC] aka Legend of the Mystical Ninja

> Full Review (Vanguard)

Ganbare Goemon 2: Kiteretsu Shogun McGuinness [SFC]

> Full Review (Perikles)
> Full Review (Vanguard)

Ganbare Goemon 3: Shishijyurokubei no Karakuri Manji Katame [SFC]

> Full Review (BIL)

Gekisha Boy [PCE]

> Full Review (__SKYe)

Golden Axe [AC/MD/PCE]

Golden Axe II [MD]

> 1CC Review (BIL)

Gomola Speed [PCE]

> Full Review (__SKYe)

Green Beret [AC/FDS] aka Rush 'N Attack

> AC: Short Review & 1CC Review (BIL)
> NES: 1CC Review (Jonny2x4)

Gremlins (License)

Gremlins 2 [FC]

> 1LC Review (BIL)
> ST: Second Boss Speedkill (BIL)
> VER: JP vs US/EU (Skykid)

Guevara [AC/FC] aka Guerilla War

> AC: 1CC Review (BIL)
> FC: 1CC Review (BIL)

GUN-DEC [FC] aka Vice Project Doom

> 1CC Review (BIL)
> 1CC Review (CIT)
H
Spoiler
Last edited by BIL on Wed Aug 25, 2021 5:29 am, edited 276 times in total.
BIL

R2RINDEX

Post by BIL »

< # A B C D E F G H
THREAD INDEX: I J K L M N O P Q
R S T U V W X Y Z [Misc] [Plus] >

I
Spoiler
Ikari [AC/FC] aka Ikari Warriors

Dogosoken [AC/FC] aka Victory Road / Ikari Warriors II

> Arcade: 1LC Review + Writeup #1 & 1LC Writeup #2 (BIL)

Ikari III [AC/FC] aka Ikari Warriors III: The Rescue

> Famicom: 1CC Review + ST: Ninja Midboss Speedkill (BIL)

Ikari no Yousai [GB] aka Fortified Zone

> 1CC Review (__SKYe)
J
Spoiler
James Bond, 007 (License)

007 Shitou [MD] aka James Bond: The Duel

> Short Review (BIL)

Jigoku Gokurakumaru [FC] aka Kabuki Quantum Fighter

> 1LC Writeup (BIL)
> 1CC Writeup (CIT)
> 1CC Review (Sir Ilpalazzo)

J.J. Squawkers [AC]

> Journal: One Weapon Challenge Runs (trap15)
K
Spoiler
Kage no Densetsu [AC/FC] aka The Legend of Kage

> FC: 1CC Review (BIL)

Ken-Go [AC] (alias Kengo)

> 1CC Review (CIT)

Kenseiden [SMS]

> 1CC Review (BIL)
L
Spoiler
M
Spoiler
Madou Ou Granzort [SGX]

> Short Review (BIL)

Magician Lord [NEO]

> No Damage Run Review + Writeup (BIL)
> No Damage Run Review + Writeup (Ex_Mosquito)
> 1CC Review + Writeup (CIT)

Majuu Ou [SFC]

> Hard Human-Only 1LC Writeup (Vanguard)

Makai Retsuden [SMS] aka Kung Fu Kid

> 1CC Review (Stevens)

Marvel Super Heroes: War of the Gems [SFC]

> 1LC Review + Writeup (kitten)

Mario Bros. [AC/FC]

Super Mario Bros. 2 [FDS] aka The Lost Levels

> FDS: 1CC Writeup (dojo_b)

Max Warrior [FC] aka Isolated Warrior

> 1CC Review (BIL)

Meikyuu Kumikyoku: Milon no Daibouken [FC/GB] aka Milon's Secret Castle

> Famicom: 1CC Review (BIL)
> Game Boy: 1CC Review (BIL)

Metalgun Slinger [GBA]

> Short Review (BIL)

Metal Slug [NEO/PS*/SS]

> 1LC Review + Writeup #1 & 1LC Writeup #2 (BIL)
> 1CC Writeup (CIT)

Metal Slug 2 [NEO]

> 1CC Review / MS2 vs MSX (BIL)

Metal Slug X [NEO]

> 1CC Review + Writeup (Sir Ilpalazzo)

Metal Slug 3 [NEO]

> 1LC Writeup (copy-paster)

Metal Slug 4 [NEO]

> Short Review (BIL)

Metal Slug 5 [NEO]

> 1LC Writeup (copy-paster)
> Short Review (BIL)

Metal Slug 6 [NEO]

> Short Review (Mortificator)

Metal Slug XX [PSP/PS4/PC]

> Short Review (Mortificator)

Metal Storm [FC]

> 2-ALL No Death Review + Writeup (BIL)
> VER: Famicom vs NES (BIL)
> VER: Limited Run Games Reissue: Control Fix (Sumez)

Metal Warriors [SNES]

> 1CC Review (Perikles)
> Short Review (Stevens)

Minoria [PC]

> Full Review (Vanguard)

Momodora: Reverie Under The Moonlight [PC]

> Full Review & Series Overview (Vanguard)

Mutant Night [AC]

> Short Review (BIL)

Mystic Formula [PCE-CD]

> 1CC Review (CIT)
N
Spoiler
NAM-1975 [NEO]

> Short Review (BIL)

Nazo no Murasame-jou [FDS]

> 2-ALL Review + Writeup (M.Knight)
> Short Review (Sir Ilpalazzo)

Nekketsu Kouha Kunio-kun [AC/FC/PS2/PS4] aka Renegade

> Famicom: Hardest 1LC Journal [1] [2] [3] [4] (__SKYe)

Downtown Nekketsu Monogatari [FC/PCE/X68K] aka River City Ransom

> Famicom: 1CC Hard Revisit [1] [2] (BIL)

Downtown Nekketsu Special: Kunio-kun no Jidaigeki da yo Zenin Shugo! [FC/GB]

> Famicom: 1CC Hard Review (BIL)

River City Girls [PS4/NSW/XB1/PC]

> PC: 1CC Review (BurlyHeart)

Night Slave [PC-98]

Ninja Crusaders: Ryuuga [FC]

> 1CC Review (BIL)
> Short Review (Sumez)

Ninja Ryukenden [AC/FC/PCE/SMS/GG/LYNX] aka Ninja Gaiden / Shadow Warriors

> Arcade: Short Review #1 & #2 (BIL)
> Famicom: 1LC Review + Writeup (dojo_b)
> Famicom: Full Review (Volteccer_Jack)
> Famicom: 1LC Writeup (Squire Grooktook)
> Master System: 1CC Review (CIT)
> PC Engine: 1CC Review (BIL)

Ninja Ryukenden II [FC] aka Ninja Gaiden II / Shadow Warriors II

> 1CC Review (CIT)

Ninja Ryukenden III [FC/LYNX] aka Ninja Gaiden III

> NES: 1LC Writeup (Volteccer_Jack)

Ninja Ryukenden: Matenrou Kessen [GB] aka Ninja Gaiden Shadow

> 1CC Review (BIL)

Ninja-kun [AC/FC]

Ninja-kun II: Ashura no Shou [AC/FC] aka Rad Action

Ninja Warriors, The [AC/PCE/MCD]

> VER: PC Engine vs Arcade (EmperorIng)

The Ninja Warriors Again [SFC] aka The Ninja Warriors

> 1CC Hard Review + Writeup (Durandal)
> 1CC Hard Review + Writeup, Kunoichi (Vanguard)
> 1CC Hard Writeup, Kunoichi (BIL)
> 1CC Hard Writeup, Ninja (BIL)
> ST: System Basics (BIL)
> VER: Japan vs US/EU (BIL)

The Ninja Warriors Once Again [PS4/NSW] aka The Ninja Saviors: Return of the Warriors

> ST: System Basics (BIL)
> ST: Kunoichi Basics (BIL)
> ST: Ninja Basics (BIL)
> ST: Yaksha Basics (BIL)
> ST: Stage 1 Boss (BIL)
O
Spoiler
Olympus no Tatakai [FC] aka The Battle of Olympus

> Full Review (BIL)
P
Spoiler
Prince of Persia [PC/SFC/MCD/GB/NES/GEN]

> Super Famicom: Full Review (Sumez)

Psychic World [SMS]

> 1CC Review (Vanguard)
Q
Spoiler
Quarth [AC/FC/GB] aka Block Hole

> Famicom: 1CC Journal [1] [2] [3] (__SKYe)
Last edited by BIL on Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:29 am, edited 114 times in total.
BIL

R2RINDEX

Post by BIL »

<<< # A B C D E F G H
< I J K L M N O P Q
THREAD INDEX: R S T U V W X Y Z [Misc] [Plus]

R
Spoiler
Raf World [FC] aka Journey to Silius

> 1LC Review (BIL)

Rastan Saga [AC]

Robocop (License)

Robocop VS Terminator [MD/SFC]

> Mega Drive: Full Review (BIL)

Rocket Knight Adventures

> 1CC Review, Very Hard (Sumez)

Rolling Thunder [AC/FC]

> 2-ALL Review (Durandal)

Rubble Saver [GB] aka The Legend of Star Saver

> 1CC Review (BIL)
S
Spoiler
Saigo no Nindou [AC/PCE/GB] aka Ninja Spirit

> Arcade: 1LC Writeup (BIL)
> Arcade: 1LC Writeup (Ex_Mosquito)
> PC Engine: 1LC Review + Writeup (BIL)

> ST, Arcade: Final Boss & Rank Control (BIL)
> ST, Arcade: Ninja Pit Guide (BIL)
> ST, PC Engine: Ninja Pit EZ Route (BIL)

> VER: PC Engine vs Arcade (BIL)

Seirei Densetsu Lickle [FC] aka Little Samson

> 1LC Writeup (BIL)

> ST: Route Selection (BIL)

Senjou no Okami [AC/FC] aka Commando

> Arcade: Short Review (__SKYe)
> Famicom: Short Review (BIL)

Senjou no Okami II [AC/MD/SMS] aka Mercs

> Mega Drive: Original Mode, 1LC Hard Writeup (BIL)

Shinobi [AC/SMS/PCE/NES]

> Master System: Quick Review (BIL)
> PC Engine: Quick Review (BIL)

Shadow Dancer [AC/SMS]

Shadow Dancer: The Secret of Shinobi [MD]

Shin Shinobi Den [SAT] aka Shinobi Legions / Shinobi X

> 1CC Review (BIL)

Super Shinobi, The [MD] aka The Revenge of Shinobi

> 1LC Review (BIL)

> ST: DOG HANDCUFFS (BIL)

Super Shinobi II, The [MD] aka Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master

> ST: Enable Six-Button Mode (GSK)

Shinrei Jusatsushi Taromaru [SAT]

> 1LC Hard Review (BIL)
> ST: Combat Primer (BIL)

Shock Troopers [NEO]

> GD: Team Battle
> GD: Definitive Version?

Sora no Tenshi [PS1] aka The Rapid Angel

> Short Review (BIL)

Silent Bomber [PS1]

> Full Review (BIL)

Spartan X [AC/FC/GB] aka Kung Fu Master [AC/GB] / Kung Fu [NES]

> Famicom: 2-ALL Review (BIL)

Spartan X2 [FC]

> 1LC Review (BIL)

Splatterhouse [AC/PCE/FMT]

> VER: FM Towns vs Arcade (SuperDeadite)

Splatterhouse Part 2 [MD] aka Splatterhouse II

Splatterhouse Part 3 [MD] aka Splatterhouse III

> Japan: 1LC Best End @ Game Master Writeup (BIL)

> ST, Japan & US: Command List (BIL)
> ST, Japan: Combat Pointers (BIL)
> ST: First Boss Blockstun Grab (BIL)
> ST: Fifth Boss (BIL)
> VER: Japan vs US (BIL)

Splatterhouse: Wanpaku Graffiti [FC]

Spy Hunter [AC/NES]

Battle Formula aka Super Spy Hunter

> 2-ALL Writeup (BIL)

Strider Hiryu [AC/MD/PCE-CD]

> PC Engine CD: Hard 1LC Review + Writeup (Ex_Mosquito)

> ST, Arcade: Stage 5 Sniper Takedown (BIL)
> VER: PlayStation vs Arcade (BIL)

Strider 2 [AC/PS1]

> 1CC Review (BIL)

Sword Master [FC]

> 1CC Review (BIL)
T
Spoiler
Tatakai no Banka [AC/FC] aka Trojan

> Famicom: 1LC Review + Writeup (BIL)

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles / TMNT (License)

Gekikame Ninja Den [FC] aka Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

> Full Review (Vanguard)
> ST: Best Turtle (Vanguard)

Thunder Fox [AC/MD]

> Arcade: 1CC Review + VER: AC vs Mega Drive (BIL)

Time Zone [FC]

> 1CC Review (Sumez)

Tin Star, The [AC]

> 1CC Review (BIL)

Tokkyuu Shirei Solbrain [FC] aka Shatterhand

> 1CC Review & 1LC Review (BIL)

Totsugeki! Ponkotsu Tank [GB] aka Trax

> 1LC Review (BIL)

Totsuzen! Machoman [FC] aka Amagon

> Short Review (BIL)

Top Secret [AC] aka Bionic Commando

Bionic Commando [GB]

> 1CC Review (BIL)

Trip World [GB]

> 1CC Review (__SKYe)
U
Spoiler
V
Spoiler
W
Spoiler
Wallachia: Reign Of Dracula [NSW/PC]

> Switch: 1LC Review (Ghegs)

Wild West COWBoys of Moo Mesa [AC]

> 2-ALL Review (BareKnuckleRoo)

Wing of Madoola, The [FC]

> Short Review (BIL)

Wonder Boy [AC/SMS/GG]

Wonder Boy in Monster Land

> 1CC Review (Sumez)
> 1CC Review (Vanguard)

Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap [SMS/GG]

> Full Review (Vanguard)
X
Spoiler
XZR [MSX]

Exile [MD/PCE]

> MD+PCE: Full Review (CIT)
Y
Spoiler
Yami no Shigotonin Kage [FC] aka Shadow of the Ninja / Blue Shadow

> 1CC Review #1 & #2 (BIL)
> 1CC Review (CIT)
> Short Review (Sir Ilpalazzo)

> ST: Third Boss, Clean Kill (BIL)

Youkai Club [FC]

> Short Review (BIL)

Yume Penguin Monogatari

> 1CC Review (BIL)
Z
Spoiler
[Misc]
Spoiler
[Plus]
Spoiler
< I J K L M N O P Q
<<< # A B C D E F G H
Last edited by BIL on Mon Sep 05, 2022 11:12 pm, edited 129 times in total.