Ninja Gaiden [NES] + R2RKMF: Scrolling Action Monogatari

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Sumez

Re: Ninja Gaiden [NES] + Scrolling Action Monogatari

Post by Sumez »

BrianC wrote: I wouldn't say they are the same. Game play is very similar, but 2 is a lot less inspired. Not as much thought put to special blocks, vastly inferior music, an odd font, and the graphics seem oddly inferior (especially when it comes to some of the smaller bosses).
Completely agreed. I just mean they play and generally work exactly the same, with the odd addition of the awkward charge attack and ability to throw diagonally. Apart from that, they could have been two halves of the same game with a sloppy second half.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

BIL wrote: Indeed, Lament of Innocence's JP release is straight-up titled "Castlevania," full stop. Kinda funny, considering the previous time the series went 3D on N64 it also defaulted to that name - albeit in the West only.
Lament of Innocence was also released here in Europe a simply "Castlevania". I think the subtitle probably appears in game (though I have the US version myself, so I can't check), but the box simply says Castlevania. Same thing goes for Circle of the Moon, they didn't really care for branding that subtitle over here either.

ImageImage

So that makes for at least four games in Europe called simply "Castlevania". Also Symphony of the Night, while showing the subtitle on the front, still only says "Castlevania" on the spine.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

lol BIL. The BDSM Belmond angle cracked me up. Older Belmont is very much épanoui in his alternative sexual-lifestyle
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
copy-paster

Post by copy-paster »

BIL wrote:I've warmed up a lot to the Castlevania name over time, particularly after noticing it appeared in the JP releases that far back (it would be adopted much later for Japanese PS2/GBA, of course, though that practice eventually died a death). It would roughly equate to "the castle beyond the forest," AFAIK, which has a simple elegance I like. I still prefer the unbeatably iconic Dracula name but CV is cool.
CIT wrote:Actually Lords of Shadow and Lords of Shadow Mirror of Fate were also called Castlevania in Japan, only for the series to revert back to Akumajo Dracula yet again for Lords of Shadow 2. :roll:

Basically, the naming convention in Japan is a huge mess. :lol:
IGA once stated that any CV games without 'real' Dracula in it should be titled Castlevania. The naming somehow makes sense though because :

LoI = No Drac
HoD = He's not real Drac, it's a incomplete being based on his body remains and soul.
AoS and DoS = Only Drac's soul and his strength remains.
LoS and MoF = No Drac.

Keep in mind this only applies in JP releases, the more you know...
__SKYe wrote:I've finally beat her, on the 10th attempt or so. 8)
She doesn't just duck the Cross, she ducks everything, standing whip included,
Congrats for beat her!
btw do you play the original x68k or psx port? Because as I said earlier the psx port removes her duck sprite which makes the fight slightly easier.
__SKYe wrote:I found it curious that they put the word "Castlevania" on AD's map screen, since I thought they ever only used it for the overseas releases (back in the day, anyway).
Not sure about this one, but according from some sources Konami sometimes refers the castle name as Castlevania, though no mention in-game. In reality the CV name was made by US localizers team.
BIL

Post by BIL »

FinalBaton wrote:lol BIL. The BDSM Belmond angle cracked me up. Older Belmont is very much épanoui in his alternative sexual-lifestyle
Yes - and Dracula's relationship with whips was very misunderstood at the time, to say the least. Image

Typical night at the keep circa 1990
Spoiler

copy-paster wrote:AoS and DoS = Only Drac's soul and his strength remains.
Actually, Dawn of Sorrow is Akumajou Dracula: Sougetsu no Juujika in Japan. ;3

To make things even more fun, Aria of Sorrow's Japanese version is commonly known as "Castlevania: Minuet of Dawn." :lol:
__SKYe

Post by __SKYe »

copy-paster wrote:Congrats for beat her!
btw do you play the original x68k or psx port? Because as I said earlier the psx port removes her duck sprite which makes the fight slightly easier.
The original X68000 version. I haven't played the PSX that far, but I think that her ducking behaviour makes for a better fight, though.

I find rather curious that in most places I see the PSX version reviewed, they mention that the "Original" is pretty much a straight conversion from the X68k game, while in fact there are quite a few differences.

Besides what you just posted on the She-Wolf fight, on the PSX version, the Stage 1 boss will not attack as hard if you attack him with a subweapon (if you whip him, he'll just reassemble somewhere else, but if you use a sub-weapon, he'll lunge at you first, and then re-assemble), on the ice stage (Stage 3 I think), there's a part where there is a pillar with blood that will rise into some spikes when you jump onto it, and while in the X68k version you canjump on it, and quickly jump onto the next platform, on the PSX port you have to jump on the pillar (and off again), let it rise up, and go through it once it's descending, othrewise you won't have time to jump onto the next platform, and will hit the pikes on the ceiling instead.
On that same stage, the part where there are frozen Hunchbacks that you must whip (to unfreeze) them to move on, is easier on the PSX port. Then there's the easier damage scaling.
And this is as far as I've played, so there could (and probably are) more of them.

I guess most people just care more about the Arrange mode?
copy-paster wrote:Not sure about this one, but according from some sources Konami sometimes refers the castle name as Castlevania, though no mention in-game. In reality the CV name was made by US localizers team.
Makes sense, but I was surprised that they put it in a game that far back (wouldn't be too surprised if it were one of the more recent entries).
BIL wrote:My favourite Berumondo BDSM pose is CV Adventure 2's JP boxart - older, wiser, but no less hornier! :mrgreen:
Spoiler
Oh my, that Belmont's face... :mrgreen:
He looks like he wants to say: "Hey now Vlad, I don't remember giving you permission to rise from your eternal slumber. You are in need of some... discipline". 8)

You know, sometimes I wonder if, in an alternate universe, Dracula isn't just a victim of an abusive Super-Sado Belmont, who takes great pleasure in putting him to "sleep" over and over, and Dracula's attempts to keep him at bay (you know, all the monsters and bosses, etc) were just misunderstood as him trying to take over the world. :lol:
BIL

Post by BIL »

AFAIK, the PS1 port of Dracula X68K was rebuilt from scratch, hence broadly accurate stages and assets with numerous finer inaccuracies. From what I've seen of hardcore X68k player commentary, it tends to be regarded as very noticeably imperfect, but a decent enough substitute. Personally I think they play close enough, but I'm a casual 1-ALLer at most.

It's been *years* but I seem to recall just ducking as that ice column rose, then letting it descend before leaping onward? Could easily be wrong, pls nobody risk a squashing on my account. :wink:

Talking exclusively about the Original mode here... Arrange is kind of a joke tbh, it's much easier and doesn't even loop. Reminds me of the FC cartridge CV1's exclusive Easy mode; a neat curio and a commendable attempt at a friendlier game, but of precious little interest to veteran players.
__SKYe

Post by __SKYe »

BIL wrote:AFAIK, the PS1 port of Dracula X68K was rebuilt from scratch, hence broadly accurate stages and assets with numerous finer inaccuracies. From what I've seen of hardcore X68k player commentary, it tends to be regarded as very noticeably imperfect, but a decent enough substitute. Personally I think they play close enough, but I'm a casual 1-ALLer at most.
From what I played, it is a very decent substitute indeed, I'm just a bit disappointed at the lack of acknowledgement that these differences do exist.
But then again, I'm probably expecting too much and looking in the wrong places.

THe one complaint I have with this port, though I guess unavoidable and purely hardware related, is that there are items/enemies on the PSX port that get obscured by the status bar on top of the screen (some bats/candles on one of the early stages, can't recall which). It's a minor point, though.
BIL wrote:It's been *years* but I seem to recall just ducking as that ice column rose, then letting it descend before leaping onward? Could easily be wrong, pls nobody risk a squashing on my account. :wink:
Oh it's likely you can, I'm just used to jump to and from the pillar without stopping, and when I tried to do the same on the PSX port I ended up dying (I could jump off the pillar, but Simon would hit the spikes in the ceiling).
BIL wrote:Talking exclusively about the Original mode here... Arrange is kind of a joke tbh, it's much easier and doesn't even loop. Reminds me of the FC cartridge CV1's exclusive Easy mode; a neat curio and a commendable attempt at a friendlier game, but of precious little interest to veteran players.
I'm curious about it too, and intend to play it, but I find it sad that many people seem to think that only this mode is worth looking into, and that the Original one is the "extra" and not the other way around.
I did read that you unlock some sort of Omake Art or something (on the US and EU versions only, apparently) by playing the game, but I'm not sure which mode unlocks it.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

The JP versions of the first two GB CV games and CVII are the only CV games without any sort of castle in the JP title (aside from Vampire Killer).
mycophobia

Post by mycophobia »

In case y'all didn't already know, Haunted Castle (aka arcade Akumajou Dracula) is on PSN for eight bucks. It has region select and scanline filters. A pretty good port.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

mycophobia wrote:In case y'all didn't already know, Haunted Castle (aka arcade Akumajou Dracula) is on PSN for eight bucks. It has region select and scanline filters. A pretty good port.
I bought it. It was on the JP store for a while, but it just showed up on the US store.
dingsbums

Post by dingsbums »

BIL wrote:Oof, I'm a bit behind on the last few pages. Meant to say - nice post for a very nice haul, dingsbums! I've had my eye on Seicross lately... Nichibutsu need more of my attention in general.
Thanks 8) - sorry for my late answer also. Yes I'm way behind on FC Nichibutsu games also :? but everybody can change that right :wink: .
BIL wrote:SFC Kiki Kaikai, one of gaming's most undeniable brilliances. Congrats. :cool:
I wanted the first SFC Kiki Kaikai for an eternity - now I know why it's in high demand and never really cheap. It's simply an awesome game 8) .
BIL wrote:I've been curious about Sunsoft's FC Sega ports (Fantasy Zone too, as Brian mentions). Always tricky to tell when they were on their A-game from a distance, with their earlier years... but I really like the look of both. I thought Fantasy Zone's screen edge riding was a bit unnerving, but tbh the AC game itself kinda suffers from that to a degree.
The FC Alien Syndrome port is definitly Sunsofts A-game => it's better than Segas own port on the MS.
BIL wrote:Oh damn, I seem to recall making this exact mistake very recently. :o Thanks for the tip, must check this out.
No problem :) .
BIL wrote:Make sure to try out the Hard mode - it really brings out the game's best. I've long appreciated DF, but it's only now that I really rank it as an equal partner to Kage and Solbrain. It's still an inherently simpler hack/slash game, but it totally revels in that (and its HENSHIN mechanic).
Will try the Hard mode for sure - thanks for the tip. I have to spend more time with this game in general :P .
BIL wrote:Congrats, I remember you posting about CF a couple years back. :smile: I have to spend some more time with it myself - it never quite hooked me, but brazenly macho army style is always a +1 with my FC action games. Not coincidentally I recently picked up Ikari III - deceptively good! - and Datsugoku - killer hit mechanics, lackluster stage design, ultimately just about ok but not really worth the steep pricetag... so manly, tho. :3
Yes the over the top manliness like a good 80s/90s Stallone/Schwarzenegger/Van-Damme flick is exactly what i like about these titles. Ikari III is way better than the first two games and a great addition to any FC actioner collection.I only have Datsugoku as a loose cart :( but it's a great Brawler - I would even go so far to say the best on the system.
BIL wrote:Among the model examples of an "easy sidescroller," imo. It's rarely threatening and it lacks a proper finale, but the bouncy handling is addictive and the stages are absolutely wall-to-wall with enemies to clobber, treasure to grab and pits to vault. Supremely lovable game to take for a Best End spin now and then.
Yes the Capcom Disney games are way too easy but they are fun games. The Magical Quest series on the SFC for example is ridicously easy but I still love these games :) . Not every game has to be though as nails to be a fun game :wink: .
https://twitter.com/Madstalker80
Skykid wrote: Get ready for the big bad world to fuck you up the ass in ways you never believed possible.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

dingsbums wrote: The FC Alien Syndrome port is definitly Sunsofts A-game => it's better than Segas own port on the MS.
Funny thing is that they were both developed by Sanritsu, at least according to GDRI.

I bought Ninjawarriors for PS4 recently. I like it quite a bit so far. It's definitely not as good as Ninjawarriors Again, but there is one thing it does better. The music. Zuntata rocks!
BIL

Post by BIL »

The Ninja Warriors' soundtrack is crazily good, even by OGR's lofty standards. Impeccably catchy, punchy synthpop married with traditional Japanese sounds for a sinister edge - perfectly amplifies the 80s ninja b-flick tone ("No DAMN way!" "Please... don't... kill me!" "The IMMORTAL MURDER MACHINES").

Everybody loves Daddy Mulk, for good reason, but my favourite is The Motherless Children ; an uneasy percussive pall boiling over into darkly driving weirdpop. I'm sadly nowhere as experienced with the AC game as I should be, but the Mega CD port is totally elevated by that music.
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

dingsbums wrote:The FC Alien Syndrome port is definitly Sunsofts A-game => it's better than Segas own port on the MS.
Well, Sega's 8-bit "ports" usually were more like interpretations loosely based on the source material, which sometimes led to pretty good games in their own rights. SMS Alien Syndrome may not take as many freedom as, say, Enduro Racer, but it is obviously a completely different game (different aliens, different level layouts). How does the Game Gear version compare? In screenshots it looks much closer to the arcade original.
WelshMegalodon

Post by WelshMegalodon »

__SKYe wrote:I find rather curious that in most places I see the PSX version reviewed, they mention that the "Original" is pretty much a straight conversion from the X68k game, while in fact there are quite a few differences.
That's just your average internet journalism at work. You'll find more than a fair number of people referring to the Origins release of Final Fantasy I & II as "ports" rather than full-on remakes, or people acting like the Famicom Mini Series on the Game Boy Advance are 1:1 recreations of original games even though they aren't. Then there are all those people talking about "arcade-perfect" Saturn conversions of whatever Capcom or SNK fighter.

Look online for information on fan translations and take a drink every time someone plays the weeaboo card or argues for or against the whole "translation vs. localization" deal without being able to cite specific examples. You'll be dead before you know it. Heck, I'm almost inclined to name the Legends of Localization guy as the only person on the Internet that's shown FFIV's PlayStation retranslation to be inaccurate (I'm certain I've brought this up before).

You can see why most people wouldn't care - there's little actual merit in tracking down and recording moonspeak vidya trivia, and no one's come up with a way to profit off of it - but it's still an inconvenience.
Indie hipsters: "Arcades are so dead"
Finite Continues? Ain't that some shit.
RBelmont wrote:A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire
mycophobia

Post by mycophobia »

So I decided to abandon Diet Go Go for now and focus instead on Shadow Dancer (Arcade) which is the last of the three classic Shinobis I've not yet 1CC'd. I like the longer stages and the increased difficulty (due in part to the increased stage length), and the music is really good too. Controls like a dream, as to be expected from this series.

Something I don't really like about it is the dark, gritty setting. Not that Shinobi was the prettiest game ever but it was definitely more colorful. Also the bonus stages suck; they're super unintuitive and you gotta know pretty much exactly where to shoot at all times (though admittedly, the majority of the stage you're firing right down the center, it's just the very end that trips me up), whereas in Shinobi I can twitch react my way through at least the first two most of the time. They really make you work for the extends in this game especially considering you don't get any from score. It's also far too easy to kill your dog by accident. The way the Genesis version handled the dog command makes way more sense.

But all in all I love methodical, memorization-heavy sidescrollers like this. Getting that tantalizing feeling of "I know exactly what I need to do up to part X I just gotta DO IT!!!" before each credit and then, finally, following up on it and making it to the next stage is incredibly satisfying.
Vanguard

Post by Vanguard »

Finally tried out that Ninja Spirit business everyone's been talking about. At first blush it seems like it might be the most perilous platform game ever made! On a second attempt, it looks like that's at least partly due to a case of Gradius syndrome. You can get by with no upgrades, but it's a real uphill battle. With two clones and upgraded weapons you can gun down most enemies before they get a chance to fight back. It's still very intense, but you've got some breathing room.

I'm not a big fan of one hit point games, but this one's fast and exciting enough that I should still make a real effort at a 1cc sometime. I'm not sure if I've ever seen a game with such relentless respawning enemies before. There's a time limit, but it's just a formality because I always want to get out of those chaotic battlefields as fast as possible.

So far it seems to me that the sword is mostly for defense. The shurikens and bombs both give you lots of firepower, but can't cancel bullets. They seem pretty redundant tbh. The chain sickle is good for attacking and defending at the same time and it seems to be the overall most useful weapon.

Are Ninja Spirit and Saigo no Nindo functionally identical? I couldn't tell any difference between them. I know the Turbografx version is easier than the arcade version.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Vanguard wrote:Are Ninja Spirit and Saigo no Nindo functionally identical? I couldn't tell any difference between them.
Some useful version comparisons between Saigo (JP) and Ninja Spirit (World) here (and a bit further down the page).

Good to hear you've gotten acquainted! :smile: One of ninja sidescrolling's finest, and one of the most harrowingly intense 2D action games full-stop... with the sadly obligatory caveat of stage 7-2's Ninja Pit. 3; But honestly, the surrounding 99% is easily good enough to neutralise even that particularly vile ointment-loitering fly.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

BIL wrote:
Vanguard wrote:Are Ninja Spirit and Saigo no Nindo functionally identical? I couldn't tell any difference between them.
Some useful version comparisons between Saigo (JP) and Ninja Spirit (World) here (and a bit further down the page).
I'm guesing the TG-16 version is closer to Saigo no Nindo since it seems to be identical to the PCE version?
BIL

Post by BIL »

I've never played the TG16 version myself, but it wouldn't surprise me if it's identical/near-identical to the Japanese HuCard. I remember Ing mentioning it didn't even translate the stage intro titles.

As far as checkpoints and powerup carriers go, the PCE port's Arcade Mode definitely reflects the Japanese arcade board. Not sure which variant it reflects more on finer details, like enemy numbers/HP/rank... but regardless, it's easier than either overall. (not to be written off as an easy game full-stop, however! still a pretty intense run, far harder than the console action gaming norm)

I've barely tried the PCE Mode, no idea if anything changes there (besides the obvious addition of hitpoints).
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Amagon vs. Totsuzen! Machoman. Any reason to prefer either version?
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Sumez wrote:Amagon vs. Totsuzen! Machoman. Any reason to prefer either version?
Not sure if there are any major differences, though the JP version has a much better name.

edit: According to the cutting room floor, the JP version has a better ending.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Sumez wrote:Amagon vs. Totsuzen! Machoman. Any reason to prefer either version?
Hm, no idea about gameplay differences. I noticed the stage intro texts are different on NES (they're in English even on FC, and quite charming too).

A real little gem of methodical platform/shooting - as I was reminded recently. I was browsing my FC shelf and couldn't help noticing how unappealing it looks next to not only avowedly METALLIZED TECHDEATH stuff like Metal Storm and Aicom's own GUN-DEC, but fully-fledged cutesies like Gimmick! and SMB3 too. It's got a distinct style, alright... goony and goofy and not my cup of FC action tea, and it wasn't cheap either. I wondered if I'd not kinda twisted my own arm into nabbing the nice NOS copy I happened across last summer. :o

Then I fired it up and couldn't tear myself away for like an hour, during which I just about made it to stage 4 of 7. :shock: Addictive and tough. I should pay heed to my instincts. Image
Last edited by BIL on Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

It is perplexing how they changed the texts (rather than just fix the engrish) and cut down the ending when the text was already in English. From what I have seen, the JP text is more fun.
GSK

Post by GSK »

Herr Schatten wrote:
dingsbums wrote:The FC Alien Syndrome port is definitly Sunsofts A-game => it's better than Segas own port on the MS.
Well, Sega's 8-bit "ports" usually were more like interpretations loosely based on the source material, which sometimes led to pretty good games in their own rights. SMS Alien Syndrome may not take as many freedom as, say, Enduro Racer, but it is obviously a completely different game (different aliens, different level layouts). How does the Game Gear version compare? In screenshots it looks much closer to the arcade original.
GG Alien Syndrome is very different from the arcade and SMS ports, I don't even think they marketed it as a port.
Vanguard

Post by Vanguard »

I put in a few hours of Saigo no Nindo today. I credit fed through to the end a few times and my best run reached the beginning of stage 6 in one credit. The ninja pit is cheap garbage as expected, but so far I dislike the poison gas in stages 5 and 7 just as much. They don't require as much strict memorization, but they kill the game's pacing until you have a set route, and whether I succeed or fail, they aren't satisfying to deal with. Getting past the ninja pit actually feels kind of good just because of what audacious bullshit it is.

Anyway, here's my current strategy:
Spoiler
Stages 1 and 2: It doesn't matter

Stage 3: Start out using the chain, jump as soon as a big guy spawns so he'll whiff. Switch to the sword around the checkpoint and upgrade it if I haven't already. Spam the sword to deal with ninjas and wolves. Use short hops to bait out a throw from the staff guys, then run past. Be judicious with the sword around their throws - sometimes it's better not to deflect their shot. Try to have the flame shield and upgraded bombs for a speedy boss kill. With no upgrades, the chain is fairly safe but slow.

Stage 4: Use bombs whether they're upgraded or not. Stay on the floor for the first area. Both the ninja's chain attack and the samurai's slash can be jumped over without too much trouble. Use bombs again in the second area. I clear out any samurai and scatter bombs across the ceiling before crossing over the spike pits. Be ready to fall back if a samurai jumps on the roof and I can't kill him in time. Use the sword to easily get past the third area. Jump over the powerup ninja as he approaches from behind and slash down to get his powerup without wasting time. Use bombs on the boss no matter what. Try to keep a good distance from the moving blocks whenever possible, but always leave some room to retreat.

Stage 5: Use the chain for the stage. The enemies are not threatening. Taking the path slightly to the left of the first ledge seems avoid most poison gas. The chain is pretty safe against the boss, but bombs are much faster.

Stage 6: Use the chain. Kill samurai and staff dudes from the front asap. Staff dudes from the back can be left behind with a short hop. Be careful of jumping around because the samurai in this level are good at midair interceptions. I still need to work on this level a lot. Upgraded bombs are ideal against the boss, but it's easy with anything. Jump right on to the big guys because after they whiff they won't attack again for a long time.

Stage 7: Immediately go right and jump to the ceiling to avoid the first poison gas traps. Use bombs on everything in the level and try to take out the samurai before they force a jump. My most reliable method for dealing with the old dude right now is to let him go to the ceiling, and follow him up. Only jump down shortly before he reaches me and then jump right back up. Usually he won't jump around if I do that, but I'm still uncertain on how his behavior works. Memorize a way through the rest of the level. The safest part of the ninja pit seems to be about three or four character widths from the right edge. Use dynamite on the final boss. The best way to avoid his lightning seems to involve moving back and forth frequently and crossing the middle when one of the lightning bolts fades away. When cornered, a high jump can buy a few more seconds for a lightning bolt to time out.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Excellent progress, as to be expected from you. ;3

Stage 7-1's gas traps, even on PCE with the glaring absence of the mad monk, are thorny stuff. Damn things make me nervous, even with a safe path burnt into memory. If they weren't immediately followed up with that nadir of Rote Memoriser Bullshit™, tha pit, I might call 7-1's shift from open battlegrounds and claustrophobic corridors to outright boobytrap hell a worthy detour... together though, they feel like a not especially well-done epilogue to stage 6's total onslaught.

Indeed, regarding stages 1 & 2. I sometimes wonder if nixing the floor at a few points might've spiced 'em up a bit. The lunar ninja action is easily good enough to entertain in the longterm, but I find myself deliberately playing with "floor is lava" rules in their latter halves. I especially wish st2's boss was fought without floor - feels like something from the baddest of ninja animes, leaping from branch to branch while evading his charges and unleashing hails of shuriken and grenades.

---

I've been messing with the FC port of Heavy Barrel today. Ehhh. As said, I love my macho FC action, and DECO are along with SNK among its exemplars. There are distinct strengths here - the weapons feel pretty dick-swingin', the monstrous spreadshot and titular godcannon in particular, and the bodycount is fairly furious. Sadly the sludgy performance robs it of vital pinpoint intensity, while laughably/infuriatingly lazy scroll speed hammers its coffin shut. Guevara from a year earlier fucking atomises this (as it does many topdown shooters on FC and beyond, admittedly). Even Capcom's rickety Senjou no Okami port is preferable.

Feels distinctly like this involved personnel from the similarly hamstrung FC Bad Dudes - a decently pacey arcade core, let down by choppy performance and inexplicably slow screen transitions (and guest-starring terribad sampled speech). Clean up said issues and both of these ports would easily gain acceptability.
Last edited by BIL on Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mortificator

Post by Mortificator »

Even arcade Heavy Barrel, a game I put quite a few quarters into the cabinet of, isn't as appealing to me now. The areas are more varied than Ikari, but there's a jerkiness to the graphics, and the key & box system requires a lot of memorization to get the most out of.
RegalSin wrote:You can't even drive across the country Naked anymore
BIL

Post by BIL »

I was wondering if the unmarked item boxes were an FC-only thing, haha. Pretty irksome indeed! They must've realised by the time Midnight Resistance rolled around.

If there's one thing I really loved about the port, it's the earliest console appearance I've seen of the obligatory DECO Jetpack Guys™.