Ninja Gaiden [NES] + R2RKMF: Scrolling Action Monogatari

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
BrianC

Re: Ninja Gaiden [NES] + Scrolling Action Monogatari

Post by BrianC »

I was playing both games back to back for awhile. I got used to the expanded perspective, but I didn't find it to be an improvement. It's much easier to cover the screen in the original. I missed being able to see extra moves of one of the bosses in hard mode due to the alternate levels in the remake.
kitten

Post by kitten »

i've talked about it in another thread that i'm too lazy to link to, but i think the 16:9 perspective change hurt and really adversely affected the design of the game. the strafing desperado sub-boss that frequently appears, in particular, becomes dramatically more annoying to fight because of how hard it is to readjust to one side or the other when fire is pushing you in the opposite direction.

the remake is quite solid and a worthy companion (something i want to stress i don't say lightly and rarely give a pass on modern-retro stuff for), but i definitely prefer the original.
~Imagination and memory are but one thing, which for diverse considerations have diverse names~
Image | Image
~*~*~*~*~*~* If there's a place that I could be ~ Then I'd be another memory *~*~*~*~*~*~
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

Although I can't help wondering if it'll end up like Wild Guns, where everybody seemed to prefer the original anyways.
Glad I'm not everybody... vastly prefer the updated version. I had no issues with the 16×9 view.
Damn Tim, you know there are quite a few Americans out there who still lives in tents due to this shitty economy, and you're dropping loads on a single game which only last 20 min. Do you think it's fair? How much did you spend this time?
OdiousTrident

Post by OdiousTrident »

Some playthroughs of Ninja Warriors Once Again showed up on Youtube. Spoilers below I guess?

The only new enemy I see so far is a flying drone. Stage 7 boss seems a little more aggressive with slightly altered attacks. The final boss may have a new attack as well. Aside from the new characters and redrawn art I was hoping for some additional content. I guess we'll wait and see if there is post game or hard mode content added.
Sir Ilpalazzo

Post by Sir Ilpalazzo »

There isn't new content on hard. There's a lot of rebalancing done, though - Kamaitachi looks less overpowering at a glance, the stage 3 and 6 bosses have enemy backup on hard, and items have been moved around (there's healing right before the stage 6 boss now).
it290

Post by it290 »

Ahhh damnit I had tricked myself into thinking Ninja Warriors would be released in the West today due to a lot of lazy googling and seeing July 25 as the 'worldwide' release date. Sounds like the actual date is August 30? Kicking myself for not just picking up the Asia version...
We here shall not rest until we have made a drawing-room of your shaft, and if you do not all finally go down to your doom in patent-leather shoes, then you shall not go at all.
Zaarock

Post by Zaarock »

Enjoying TNWOA a lot. Both the new characters are super fun to use and very different. Strong too but they have a heavier learning curve.

Anyone found a decent way to fight the last boss with Raiden? I can 1cc up to that point on hard but the boss is like 100x harder than everything else and wildly inconsistent. Since raiden is so big/slow the lasers and hyper armor chip damage stack up and you can slowly die when he goes into 2nd phase with constant lasers.
edit: blocking a lot seems like the way to go maybe, the lasers can clear things for you & try to get damage from easier enemies whenever you can.
BIL

Post by BIL »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:Is BIL ok? He hasn't logged in since January. D=
Spoiler

mycophobia wrote:I think he said he got busy and was taking a break from the forums before he left
Spoiler

drauch wrote:Yes, I have greatly missed BILbo's output. I did a bit of searching awhile back as well and saw that he was quite a busy lad as of late.
Spoiler

Zaarock wrote:3rd The Ninja Warriors Once Again trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bkzwGErK4k
Goes through each character and shows some advanced techniques.

This one is the real deal, goddamn. Couldn't hype the game up much more than that..
Spoiler

School's out and so is TNWAA. JUST AS PLANNED. R2RKMF (that's "Run To The Right Killing Motherfuckers") Part IV be all over, prepare for next stage. Image

Also, holy cow, you guys have kept the flag flying admirably. :o Been enjoying catching up over the weekend. :smile: Superb work on the thread index, Skye! Will be adding a bit more to it over the summer.

Pardon if it's a daft question, but is The Ninja Warriors Once Again (NTSCJ Switch) not out on physical, just yet? I'd just get the AZN VER, but I'd like to go with the oldschool JP title+logo if possible. Goes with the SFC and MCD ones, y'know? ALSO, bad memories of me nan bringing "Hero Turtles" y-fronts on visits from Britlandshire. Felt so wrong. :shock: I'll just get the Saviors version for now if it's gonna be weeks or something. I gotta get on this. Image
Zaarock wrote:Enjoying TNWOA a lot. Both the new characters are super fun to use and very different. Strong too but they have a heavier learning curve.

Anyone found a decent way to fight the last boss with Raiden? I can 1cc up to that point on hard but the boss is like 100x harder than everything else and wildly inconsistent. Since raiden is so big/slow the lasers and hyper armor chip damage stack up and you can slowly die when he goes into 2nd phase with constant lasers.
edit: blocking a lot seems like the way to go maybe, the lasers can clear things for you & try to get damage from easier enemies whenever you can.
I've only watched earlier bits, but great job on the 1CC uploads! Good to see authoritative play from the outset. Didn't want to spoil myself too much, but just seeing the onslaught of enemies at st2's previously sleepy train ride fired me up. Image Also thank god st3 boss has some crowd backup now, that's the one and only cold spot on SFC.

Natsume roll on Kiki Kaikai pls Image
Last edited by BIL on Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

:shock:

The prodigal son (or the bastard son?)is back! welcome man
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
BIL

Post by BIL »

Hey there. :mrgreen:
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

THE GLORIOUS RETURN OF BIL
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

BIL

Post by BIL »

Believe me, the feeling's mutual :wink:
kitten

Post by kitten »

~Imagination and memory are but one thing, which for diverse considerations have diverse names~
Image | Image
~*~*~*~*~*~* If there's a place that I could be ~ Then I'd be another memory *~*~*~*~*~*~
BIL

Post by BIL »

Did you draw that just for me?! :O YOU GUYS REALLY DO ROVE ME HUH (;`ω´;)
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Sumez wrote:Image
Should we do a buildings shaped like dicks thread?
My lord, I have come for you.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Might be an idea... master BLOODF is a gracious host, but if the Dick Squad is finally driven from these shores for political concerns, we will soon be in the market for a Dick House. Image

Incidentally, MD Strider got censored on Virtual Console so now its iconic st1 mosques look like circumcised dicks! :O Overly paranoid regional sensibilities ain't shit but a bunch of dicks!
Spoiler

I just went with the Ninja Saviors for now, will pick up the JP later. Seeing the parallax ruins of a later boss fight BG in Zaarock's uploads was makin' me tear up Image WHOA ITS BEAUTIFUL

Kunoichi's new advancing head slicer looks so goddamn useful too! :O
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

BIL wrote: Natsume roll on Kiki Kaikai pls Image
Part of me expects this considering Wild Guns and Ninja Warriors Again, Again! But nothing is ever assured.

I can dream of a deluxe pack that has both Kiki KaiKai SFC games... Even if the sequel is not as accomplished, that's not a good enough reason for exclusion.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Really going out on a limb, I can just imagine a new Elevator Action from these guys... Image The small-scale *WHAPs* and the cataclysmic multistory demolitions ala EAR st1. Image TNWAA is pretty much my "can die happy now" release - never has a game quite so materialised out of my fondest dreams - but Natsume helming a new Taito arcade action revival (RASTAN SAGA Image) would bring me back from the grave!

Hell I'd be happy if they did Dino Rex or Space Gun or something. Just wanna see these guys flex those Herculean, decades-honed chops. :mrgreen:
__SKYe

Post by __SKYe »

Welcome back, man.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Thanks. :smile:
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Yeah maybe it's time for these guys to make a NEW game. There's no reason they couldn't.
Vanguard

Post by Vanguard »

BIL

Post by BIL »

:lol:
Spoiler
There could be no more fitting memorial! I woulda used that for Part V's header. If there's a game to plausibly put the doctor (and chairman) in his grave it's Dracula II! They say the old rogue died of a broken heart Image

kitten

Post by kitten »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fA_KSYOQ9TU

steel assault is frankly looking fantastic. there's an option open for slacker backing if you look in the latest KS update
Image | Image
BIL

Post by BIL »

I'm awful at keeping up with modern stuff, so it's my first time seeing SA since Sri posted it here some years back. Good vibes in that clip, most definitely! Looking like the solid fundamentals and creative flair expected of the old JP greats. I like that the player is able to keep whacking the boss while hanging under the craft, rather than it being a mere "time out..." that's the sort of performance room I look to for longterm value. The grapple bar mechanic itself looks intriguing too, haven't seen that one before. Instantly brings a lot of Shatterbrain-esque scenarios to mind.
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

Now that I‘m done with Bloodstained, I‘ll return to Probotector MD (see my initial remarks a few pages back). Currently I‘m trying to decide which route to tackle next. So far I‘ve finished the game with the secret joke ending and the route with the train stage. Any suggestions in which order to do the remaining routes?
BIL

Post by BIL »

Hard for me to say with The Hard Corps being thoroughly burned into my synapses, but: Big Magnum (chase Deadeye Joe + Surrender) is probably the easiest, and definitely shortest. ROCKETAPOCALYPSE (defend the Research Facility + Fight to the end) is longer and tougher, on par with Super Bahamut (and packing the third member of the game's RNG trinity, after SB's Spheroid Joe and FUCKIN DOCTOR CRAB). Aliens (chase Joe + Fight) is somewhere between. Kill 'em all. Image
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

Big Magnum it is, then. It will be nice to have a different stage 2 for a change. I‘d much more prefer having different stages 3 and 4, though.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

BIL wrote:Thanks. :smile:
You shall not rest.
No grave to greet when you crawl in.

Thy work shall ne'er be done.
ere your fuckin' be done.

I guess you've got a whole loada fuckin to do.
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart