Ninja Gaiden [NES] + R2RKMF: Scrolling Action Monogatari

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
FinalBaton

Re: Ninja Gaiden [NES] + Scrolling Action Monogatari

Post by FinalBaton »

CIT wrote:Why is memorization in Ninja Gaiden different to you?

I cleared the game, but not having touched it again in three years, I sure as hell don't think I'd be able to do so off the cuff now.
can't answer for Blingey boy but for my part :

I made such a serious commitment of learning the game, and spent lot of time playing and analyzing it, that I have learned all of the enemy spawn points throughout the entire game. And I still know them right now, even though I haven't played the game in a year. That really makes the game a lot more manageable when you know the enemy spawn points for that one, actually I'd say it's the most important aspect to truly have a firm command over that game

That's the beauty of a non-RNG-spawn design : you can plan your course, and then rip through it like a true agile, professional assassin
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

There's that, but my post wasn't speaking to clears per se.

I mean it when i say "play well enough to have a blast."
Even if that means game over on stage 2 and repeated continues until I reach the end.
It's more the feeling of understanding and enjoying the game's rhythm, pacing, that split second jump'n'slash to make an enemy disappear without impeding your momentum, it's just... mwah!
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Blinge wrote:There's that, but my post wasn't speaking to clears per se.

I mean it when i say "play well enough to have a blast."
Even if that means game over on stage 2 and repeated continues until I reach the end.
It's more the feeling of understanding and enjoying the game's rhythm, pacing, that split second jump'n'slash to make an enemy disappear without impeding your momentum, it's just... mwah!
That too, for sure!

the rythm and pacing in this game is soooo satisfying
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Vanguard

Post by Vanguard »

Played through two Sega Master System platformers yesterday, Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap and Psychic World.

The Dragon's Trap is pretty interesting. It's a semi-open metroidvania where the main gimmick is that you switch between five different animal forms, all with unique abilities. There are a lot of unusual mechanics at play. Your character has a charm stat that is affected by your form, your armor, and how many charmstones you've collected. NPCs will refuse to sell items to insufficiently charming characters, and generally better items require more charm. My current route through the game involves buying the samurai armor for the sole purpose of raising my charm so that I can buy the prince armor, which I mainly want for the sake of raising my charm enough to buy the muramasa blade. There are a bunch of different weapons, shields, and armors you can collect and many of them have unique abilities or are better-suited to specific forms. The game doesn't hold your hand through any of this, which is refreshing but there's also a good chance a first-time player will hit a wall, especially in Lion-Man's dungeon. This isn't saying much but I think it's the best game on the Master System.

Psychic World is a bad game but I find its amateurishness kind of endearing. Your character learns a variety of psychic powers over the course of her adventure, and it takes about 10 seconds to find one that breaks the game. The healing power restores a little bit of your health meter in exchange for a little bit of your ESP meter, but it also gives you a lengthy period of total invincibility every time you cast it. ESP refills are frequent enough that you can stay invincible for the vast majority of the game. The controls feel very clumsy, the reason, it turns out, is because Psychic World only checks your inputs once every four frames. At one point you learn an ability that teleports you back to the beginning of the stage, the effect is essentially the same as killing yourself. You get it fairly late in a stage too, which is a real dick move - of course you're going to try out your new ability you just picked up.

This isn't directly related to platforming games, but I've also been messing around with retroarch's recording function and it seems pretty nice. I especially like that you can use the fast forward feature and not have it show up in the recording. Doesn't seem too resource-intensive, though it might be more demanding on something newer than the Sega Master System.
CIT wrote:Why is memorization in Ninja Gaiden different to you?
I cleared the game, but not having touched it again in three years, I sure as hell don't think I'd be able to do so off the cuff now.
Having a feel for your moveset makes a huge difference in Ninja Gaiden, much more so than in, say, Castlevania. Even if you don't remember the levels, as long as you still know the right timing and spacing for your sword you can wing the rest.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Vanguard wrote:
Psychic World is a bad game but I find its amateurishness kind of endearing. Your character learns a variety of psychic powers over the course of her adventure, and it takes about 10 seconds to find one that breaks the game. The healing power restores a little bit of your health meter in exchange for a little bit of your ESP meter, but it also gives you a lengthy period of total invincibility every time you cast it. ESP refills are frequent enough that you can stay invincible for the vast majority of the game. The controls feel very clumsy, the reason, it turns out, is because Psychic World only checks your inputs once every four frames. At one point you learn an ability that teleports you back to the beginning of the stage, the effect is essentially the same as killing yourself. You get it fairly late in a stage too, which is a real dick move - of course you're going to try out your new ability you just picked up.
How do the GG and MSX (Psycho World) versions compare? Telling from videos, they seem to have that odd invincibility thing too. Not sure if MSX version controls better, but I remember the GG version also having clumsy controls. MSX version has the best title, "Psycho World".
Vanguard

Post by Vanguard »

I don't know, I've only played the SMS version. I did look at a few videos and they seem to be mostly the same idea. The MSX version seems to be definitive with the most content, better graphics and audio, and a wildly superior title. Though I still wouldn't expect too much from it. I hadn't noticed the name change until you mentioned it. "Psycho World" is far too badass of a name to waste on this game.

I uploaded a Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap one life clear. Not sure if I like it better than Wonder Boy in Monster World. Neither is a top tier action game but I think both are still really enjoyable.
Last edited by Vanguard on Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jonny2x4

Post by Jonny2x4 »

Cleared the NES version of Rush'n Attack and got to Stage 2 on the second loop with a total of 449,000 points. I always viewed it and the arcade version as a some sort of proto-Contra, moreso the NES version with its addition of 2P co-op mode that did not exists in the arcade original (which was 2P alternating). I like how the arcade sequel, M.I.A., implemented ideas from the NES version, not just the co-op play, but also the addition of underground passages (which was exclusive to the Japanese Disk System version).

It's not a complicated game, but it took a while to clear due to its use of checkpoint respawns and lack of continues (even though you start with five lives instead of the usual three). Outside the bosses and yellow versions of your character that drop power-ups, the game really only has three types of enemy characters: running soldiers (brown), jump kicking soldiers (red) and gunmen (yellow). The ones you have to most worry about are the yellow ones, since they can actually climb ladders and they tend to stick around to shoot you until you deal with them. The most problematic enemies for me were the three paratroopers at the end of Stage 5, since they can aim their guns at different directions while they're falling from the air. After that, the final stage was a cakewalk, even with the ceiling guns before the "final boss".

The game could had used more power-ups. It's curious how the gun and invincibility power-ups only shows up in Stage 3 and never again for the rest of the game. It doesn't even have the cool flamethrower from the arcade version. Not a bad game, but it became a bit too repetitive after a certain point.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Is it me or is the Bass battle in MM7 a pisstake.
On wily stage 1!

Or is this one of those 'if you don't like that, you don't like megaman.'
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

They cobbled together Mega Man 7 in like two months or something. So if something is janky that's probably the reason. I have a few fond memories of it, though the final Wily fight is a real pain in the balls. I had a chuckle when in Smash Ultimate summoning Wily summons THAT particular variant, and he's just as annoying.
kitten

Post by kitten »

Blinge wrote:Or is this one of those 'if you don't like that, you don't like megaman.'
imho 7 is quite awful and does very little right
~Imagination and memory are but one thing, which for diverse considerations have diverse names~
Image | Image
~*~*~*~*~*~* If there's a place that I could be ~ Then I'd be another memory *~*~*~*~*~*~
Vanguard

Post by Vanguard »

Jonny2x4 wrote:It's not a complicated game, but it took a while to clear due to its use of checkpoint respawns and lack of continues (even though you start with five lives instead of the usual three).
Maybe you already know, but you can remove the checkpoint system by starting a two player game. Even after player two is killed off, player one still respawns wherever he died. It's kinda cheating, but that's how I'd play Rush 'n Attack back in the day.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Maybe I'm mistaken, but I remember underground passages being mentioned in a Nintendo Power guide for Rush 'n Attack NES. It's possible they had an early version or I remembered incorrectly.

edit: Comments on a youtube video mentioned a screenshot of the secret passage was shown in NP, so I did remember correctly. I wonder why it was removed. TCRF has a possible answer, The return point after exiting an underground passage is random, which may have caused issues with the checkpoint respawn in the interational versions.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

I've been very little active here lately, so I'm 3 pages behind on this thread. Hope to catch up within the next couple of days. It's not that I've been away, I've just been a little too caught up in other projects, such as making a web-based NES emulator for absolutely no reason, as well as some other programming stuff.

Aside from that though, I also finally plunged into the world of beating 'em up, though not through any of the games I boasted earlier on, but rather via Dungeons & Dragons: Tower of Doom.

And damn, is it hard for me to digest.
I'll be perfectly honest and say I'm not having any fun with this game at all. But I'm trying, I really am. I want to get it.

I've only had a few attempts at it, but even credit feeding through it takes a long time, and I've been trying to watch some YouTube videos and reading FAQs/strategy guides to figure out what I'm missing. Turns out it's impossible to find any decent strategy anywhere. Even the long detailed guide on GameFAQs basically just says "watch their attacks and beat them up".

Ultimately, the Fighter is the only character I've been able to get anywhere with, as relying on secondary consumables never felt natural for me in a game like this. Especially with a cumbersome cycle system through a huge text based inventory (made more obscure by the fact that I'm playing this in Japanese), and I have found the cleric is way too slow to consistently attack enemies before getting hit himself.
It also feels like being able to pull off the awkward duck->attack is pretty central to controlling this game, as it covers a lot of range, and comes out really fast, no matter who you are playing as. At this point though, I think I'm only able to correctly execute that around 50% of the time though, so I don't rely too much on it. I'm not a fan of those awkward inputs demanding specific timing, but at least it's nowhere as bad as Double Dragon 2.

One thing I do love about the game is how it never feels like it's going stale. Although it might have just a little too many "cave" areas, it feels like you are always going to a new room and encountering new enemies, so for a beat 'em up it really has a surprising amount of variation!
Marc

Post by Marc »

Sumez wrote:relying on secondary consumables never felt natural for me in a game like this. Especially with a cumbersome cycle system through a huge text based inventory
For sure that's where I'm falling down with this game, half the time I forget I even have items, the other half I get caught fumbling through them. I think it's just time for me to accept that I can't get my head around the mechanics of belt-scrollers. I've put quite a lot of time into Final Fight recently and it just doesn't seem to be happening. I'm managing round three one out of every ten credits, and on the few occasions I've made it to the ST2 boss with a full stock of lives he messes me up so quickly it isn't even funny. Think I need to go back and get stuck into Battle Circuit, that's the only title I felt I was making genuine progress with.

Fired up Green Beret due to the talk above and realised two things. It uses UP to jump, and the X360 controller is a travesty. I lost count of the number of times it registered a jump when I was simply trying to turn around, or decided to climb me a ladder while running right... need to dig out my arcade stick, wherever it currently resides. Great game though, something I only ever really played conversions of as a kid. Speaking of which it's a weird conversion, Digital Eclipse have gone to the trouble to include updated music and visuals, yet the local high-score table doesn't save, and the controls can't be re-mapped? Baffling. Realised I'd picked up MIA on the Game Room so gave that a spin. It somehow manages to look uglier than Green Beret, move slower, and have worse animation. Not impressed. Then Game Room crashed and managed to freeze the 360 for a good two minutes after turning the machine off.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

kitten wrote:
Blinge wrote:Or is this one of those 'if you don't like that, you don't like megaman.'
imho 7 is quite awful and does very little right
Heh. The Bass+Treble fight might be the least fun I've ever had.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Some following up on the thread:
Vanguard (on WB in Monster World) wrote:Biomeka at the end is a huge difficulty spike over everything else. I've read that he's much easier in the Japanese version, but it's a good change. He makes for a more memorable climax and he gives you a good reason to care about those hidden heart containers and magic spells.
Blinge wrote:Yeah how does the Megaman series hold up in comparison to muh real hardcore sidescrollers?
In terms of reputation & perception by action thread regulars.
Strangely, most people don't seem to care much for them, but at the same time no one seem to actively disregard them either. Personally I'm a huge fan of the Mega Man series, the NES games are a perfect example of just extremely well designed action platformers.

They don't fit well into the arcade'y Ninja Gaiden-style platformer due to the leeway with which they treat the player, allowing them to make the game as easy or hard for themselves as they choose. The e-tanks is a good example, but also robot powers which can often be used to negate a lot of otherwise interesting challenges. Also, the later games (MM3+) will shower you wil extra lives, e-tanks, and other powerups towards the final boss, making for a climatic encounter in terms of storytelling and visuals only. Not that kind of "i'm on my last life, and it's now or nothing" classic showdown. From MM4 and on, 1ups will be extremely common throughout the entire game, too.
Obscura wrote:1 is really rough. None of the main series games I've played past 3 (which is 4-8) are worth a damn. X1 is good; X2 and 3 aren't. Mighty Number 9 is shockingly good, and easily the best Megaman or Megaman-adjacent game.
I really hope no one took this post too seriously. :P I'd point out specifically what I disagree with, but I wouldn't know where to start.

I'll say this though, I'm kinda sick of people assuming the series just started deteriorating after MM3 which is absolutely not true. MM4 is a likely candidate for the best game in the series, and MM5 and 6 are both extremely solid.
Squire Grooktook (continuing Mega Man) wrote: They're too damn long to play in single sitting
I'm not sure where that comes from. Any NES Mega Man game can easily be finished in less than an hour or less, which I consider a fine length for a game of this type, especially considering the action isn't as full-on as most arcade titles which tend to average around 30-45 minutes. I have never used the password system in any MM game, and absolutely prefer taking them on single-session. I've done evenings with a friend where we played through three MM games in a row, and we still had to pick out stuff to play after that.
Blinge wrote:Is it me or is the Bass battle in MM7 a pisstake.
On wily stage 1!

Or is this one of those 'if you don't like that, you don't like megaman.'
Like Kitten said - most of MM7 is pretty bad.
Especially the boss fights. I feel that the game has very little in common with the NES titles.
edit: Generally speaking, MM7 is still a decent game, but it has a lot of flaws. Rockman & Forte is worse, and MM8 is probably the best out of that somewhat disappointing "trilogy". But everyone seems to have their own opinion on them.
Last edited by Sumez on Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:05 am, edited 5 times in total.
Perikles

Post by Perikles »

I'm currently clearing/revisiting a bunch of SFC games (more on that later) and I've played 7 just the other day - was pleasantly surprised how much I enjoyed it, actually. Bass/Forte is weak against the charged rocket punch (particularly the powered-up version) from the super adapter and will die quickly if you use it. You could also use the Noise Crush against his merged form, that does decent damage as well.
EmperorIng wrote:I have a few fond memories of it, though the final Wily fight is a real pain in the balls.
I got annihilated the first time I've played the game, it's definitely a very rough battle if you don't know when to dodge/how to prevent Wily from shooting the orbs/properly apply charged coils. However - as with a lot of this game - if you do get accustomed to the specific timing, it can actually be a surprisingly fun battle. I can understand that people don't really want to familiarize themselves with the huge sprites and ponderous pace, but I dare say it's a rewarding experience if you do. And I'm not even a particularly fervent fan of the regular series whatsoever, albeit that might be the reason I do like 7 so much.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Does anyone have Maga man legacy collection II on steam, and do 9 & 10 hold up well on this platform?
Vanguard

Post by Vanguard »

Blinge wrote:Heh. The Bass+Treble fight might be the least fun I've ever had.
Just wait 'til you see Wily. As I remember, Bass+Treble goes down pretty easily to the super adapter if you've got that.
Sumez wrote:
That was poorly worded. The original Japanese version of WBiMW has an extremely easy final boss. The western version changed the boss to be much harder by adding a buzz saw and a conveyor belt to his room. The harder version is a big improvement over the original.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Blinge wrote:Does anyone have Maga man legacy collection II on steam, and do 9 & 10 hold up well on this platform?
I've already worded my thoughts on MM9 and 10 many times, so I'm not gonna repeat myself - but I see why people like them, I just don't enjoy them, and they feel very different from traditional Mega Man games.
MM11 however, I 'd wholeheartedly recommend.
Vanguard wrote: That was poorly worded. The original Japanese version of WBiMW has an extremely easy final boss. The western version changed the boss to be much harder by adding a buzz saw and a conveyor belt to his room. The harder version is a big improvement over the original.
The harder version of that boss fights is one of the worst pieces of game design I have ever seen. It's almost impossible to avoid taking damage without cheesing the game engine in some way, and I feel like when I finally beat it, it was absolutely purely by luck.
I get what you are saying that it functions as an incentive to seek out the heart containers and lightning magics that you might have missed. Something that is otherwise sorely missed in the game. But I don't feel like that justifies this kind of boss design.
Marc

Post by Marc »

I started MW last night, but to be honest after the first hour or so I was struggling to stay awake. Doesn't help that I have a bunch of Metroidvania (god, I hate that word) type games in my pile of shame - Hollow Knight, two Shantae games, Dragon's Trap and Momodora just off the top of my head, plus there's MW4 from the same collection - spent the hour on MW thinking I should be starting one of these instead.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

MW4 is really far from what it could have been. And not a "metroidvania".

My thoughts on the series here: viewtopic.php?p=1351044#p1351044
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Sumez wrote:
Blinge wrote:Does anyone have Maga man legacy collection II on steam, and do 9 & 10 hold up well on this platform?
I've already worded my thoughts on MM9 and 10 many times, so I'm not gonna repeat myself - but I see why people like them, I just don't enjoy them, and they feel very different from traditional Mega Man games.
Sorry, by 'on this platform' I meant the quality of the ports themselves.
Are they decent or should I opt for the ps3 versions instead, anyone?

Edit: I'm actually really meh on the robot rematches in any MM game,
but 7's is the biggest drag. Especially that bubble twat. Fucksake why is there a delay before I can start shooting once i've been bubbled. Guess there wasn't much time to playtest it..
Last edited by Blinge on Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Ah I didn't realise there were any difference at all.
Vludi

Post by Vludi »

@Sumez
Tower of Doom is essentially a block 'em up kinda like Knights of the Round, blocking gives you about 2-3 secs of i-frames giving you a window to counterattack, so if you want to get anywhere in the game try mastering the block, keep in mind that you can cancel your combos/attacks at any time in order to block in this game. As for the items, the one that is the most beginner friendly are the oils as they trivialize a lot of the combat (as long as you don't burn yourself), keep in mind that when the enemies burn they bounce in the direction you are facing, so after you throw an oil face the opposite direction and the enemies will come at you burning, ready to eat a heavy attack. Some bosses have specific strategies so if you have trouble with any just ask, generally it's just blocking and waiting for an opening though.
As long as you aren't using the elf I'd say the other characters are all good for a first 1cc, I recall my first clear using the cleric: good supporting magic, turn undead, best blocking along with the dwarf and a really good heavy attack that hits enemies on the ground and has very high stun chance. The regular combo range is kind of bad but as long as you are blocking and using heavy attacks or timing your hits, you are good to go.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

The ports in MMLC2 are fine in terms of input lag (at least on the Switch and PS4 versions), but neither of the screen options is the in the original aspect ratio. Then again, the original Wii version of MM9 only had the correct aspect ratio in 4:3 and was slightly distorted in Widescreen mode. The original MM9 and MM10 (if I remember correctly) also made the perplexing choice of using 480i as the native resolution.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Vludi wrote:@Sumez
Tower of Doom is essentially a block 'em up kinda like Knights of the Round, blocking gives you about 2-3 secs of i-frames giving you a window to counterattack, so if you want to get anywhere in the game try mastering the block, keep in mind that you can cancel your combos/attacks at any time in order to block in this game.
Thanks a lot for that! Didn't know about the i-frames!
I still haven't really found a use for the block as it is, but that also comes down to me not being too familiar with the moves of the various enemies yet. From judging the videos I've watched, it seems (logically) that the right time to block usually seems to be when you're screwing up something else, like if the enemy blocks an attack, or you misjudge your range and just miss. I'm really bad at reacting to that stuff though.
In what situation would you actually cancel a combo in order to block? I figured that if you got an enemy in a combo, they can't do anything until your combo is over.

keep in mind that when the enemies burn they bounce in the direction you are facing, so after you throw an oil face the opposite direction and the enemies will come at you burning, ready to eat a heavy attack.
This is great stuff! I haven't seen that tip anywhere!
Some bosses have specific strategies so if you have trouble with any just ask, generally it's just blocking and waiting for an opening though.
Thanks! I think it's still too early for me to have a boss that I'm stuck with. That said, Shadow Elf felt pretty much impossible when I was playing as Cleric due to his slow speed, but with the fighter I feel like I could get him down. I didn't grasp Displacer Beast either, but right now I'm just taking the other route anyway, and fighting Manticore.
I'm surprised you're suggesting blocking bosses though! So far I've found that trying to block bosses, I just get damaged by their attacks anyway.
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

Mega Man 7 is seriously enjoyable. It's good specifically because it's not yet another NES Mega Man; we had six of the darned things. It's not really related to 8 or Mega Man & Bass either. Those two games are related to each other, though.

8 used to be hated back in the day, but it's starting to get more respect. Hopefully 7 will too.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
Ruldra

Post by Ruldra »

Sumez wrote:In what situation would you actually cancel a combo in order to block? I figured that if you got an enemy in a combo, they can't do anything until your combo is over.
Even if the first hit connects, many enemies will block the next attack and retaliate. So like Vludi said, you need to be ready to raise the shield at all times.

Thankfully blocking in Tower of Doom is so much easier compared to Knights of Round. If you hold the attack button, anytime you press back you go immediately into blocking stance. So instead of just mashing the attack button, I like to attack and hold, attack and hold, just in case I need to cancel the combo and raise the shield quickly. Like in this instance.

Let us know if you have any trouble. Elf is supposed to be the hardest character to use but ironically I was only able to beat the Black Dragon with her.
[Youtube | 1cc list | Steam]
mastermx wrote:
xorthen wrote:You guys are some hardcore MOFOs and masochists.
This is the biggest compliment you can give to people on this forum.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Despatche wrote:Mega Man 7 is seriously enjoyable. It's good specifically because it's not yet another NES Mega Man; we had six of the darned things. It's not really related to 8 or Mega Man & Bass either. Those two games are related to each other, though.

8 used to be hated back in the day, but it's starting to get more respect. Hopefully 7 will too.
MM8 was a lot of fun when I played it (specifically Rockman 8). 7 and 8 moved further away from the NES design which I think still doesn't sit right with people, considering what MM9, 10, and 11 did.

MM8's neatness is that it tries to design its later levels around your subweapons - an almost unthinkable scenario in the other MM games - and although it doesn't completely take advantage of the 4-4-Wily structure it's a good time.