Ninja Gaiden [NES] + R2RKMF: Scrolling Action Monogatari

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
BrianC

Re: Ninja Gaiden [NES] + Scrolling Action Monogatari

Post by BrianC »

__SKYe wrote: As for the bosses, one approach is to try to take out the helpers before going for the boss, as they are finite. This doesn't work on Mr. X, though.
Problem is if I concentrate TOO much on the mooks, I end up getting pounded by Zamza or fat-boi. I need to be especially careful about the range of the mooks' punches as well. At least I have the bosses' patterns down.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Btw when I said that I "bought Magician Lord recently" I should clarify that I bought it nearly four months ago, but it's been going back and forth between my country and the seller's because the postal service couldn't figure out delivering it. Seller has been incredibly helpful though, so hopefully it will finally be here soon now.

Reading CIT's writeup only makes me more excited to work on a 1CC of my own.
MVS: gives you max 4 life points, has no intro sequence, and you instantly respawn on death
AES: max 6 life points, long intro sequence, stage time displayed, return to check point on death. However, later prints of the game actually use the MVS rom, so there are two different AES versions out there.
Wow, I didn't know about that. I guess it's worth pointing out that the "instant respawn" still performs a fade to black reseting a few things (though not remaining boss life, curiously).
I believe that on MVS you'll still get max 6 HP on a lower difficulty setting - remember MVS defaults to Level-4, while AES tends to be Level-3.
kitten

Post by kitten »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:why do kitten and I have to be the pubes ;w;
been busy so i log in and search my name in case i need to respond to something, see this, am extremely goddamn confused for a second lmao

edit: my 911th post, because i'm dialing it 0_0;;
~Imagination and memory are but one thing, which for diverse considerations have diverse names~
Image | Image
~*~*~*~*~*~* If there's a place that I could be ~ Then I'd be another memory *~*~*~*~*~*~
Marc

Post by Marc »

BIL wrote:Dark Horse is intimidating at first, but he's pretty harmless if you immediately get on the balcony and take out his supports. From there, just bait him into firing straight up, then downshot him as he rides away. If you're aggressive enough, a powered up Bob/Cormano can kill him in a couple reps. The trick is to never let him hem you into a corner with diagonal fire, which can force you into a tricky slide-through (of the bullets, or Dark Horse himself).

It's a beautiful game. My only criticism is the two bonus rounds, but even they're amusing enough (best score so far, 47/50... I blame my Frankensteined DS4 dpad :mrgreen:).
So I'm rather embarrassed to admit I've only just realised that there is a slide....... comes in handy on the bosses.
Yeah, got the third boss down, the one after is only tricky as I occasionally end up clinging to the chandelier when I don't want to.
Got creamed on the train level because I wasn't paying attention to the beams.

That was literally my only credit though, as my partners stupid mutt (a short-arsed, slightly chubby pug) decided to go apeshit at the game at this point, barking and launching herself at the TV when anything resembling an animal appeared. Seriously the little arsehole started barking at the buffalo on ST1, and by the time the ST2 horses appeared she's trying to jump up on top of the TV cabinet and frothing at the mouth :shock:

Is it just me or is there a bit of a delay when trying to duck? Mind, I'm using a PowerA pad for Switch with possibly the worst D-pad I've ever experienced, need to find my adaptor for the SNES mini pads. I've never managed more than 41 on the bonus round yet thanks to the horrible spongy piece of crap.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
CIT

Post by CIT »

Sumez wrote:Btw when I said that I "bought Magician Lord recently" I should clarify that I bought it nearly four months ago, but it's been going back and forth between my country and the seller's because the postal service couldn't figure out delivering it. Seller has been incredibly helpful though, so hopefully it will finally be here soon now.
Haha, I know the feel. My Mille Miglia PCB has been bouncing back and forth for weeks now, too. :|
Sumez wrote:Reading CIT's writeup only makes me more excited to work on a 1CC of my own.
Go for it! If you like stuff like GnG and Ninja Gaiden you will have a lot of fun.
Sumez wrote:I believe that on MVS you'll still get max 6 HP on a lower difficulty setting - remember MVS defaults to Level-4, while AES tends to be Level-3.
Hmm, I'm not sure it's tied to the difficulty setting, actually, cuz they are both entirely different roms. AES and CD have no difficulty selections whatsoever.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Marc wrote:So I'm rather embarrassed to admit I've only just realised that there is a slide....... comes in handy on the bosses.
If you're digging that style of run 'n gun, I strongly recommend its spiritual successor, Wild West C.O.W. Boys of Moo Mesa (apparently based on a cartoon made by one of the TMNT artists). It's actually a much more forgiving game than Sunset Riders overall when you master its special move, as its equivalent of the slide is actually a jumping dodge with full invulnerability.
kitten wrote:edit: my 911th post, because i'm dialing it 0_0;;

curse you BIL, see what your obsession with Gynoug phalluses has wrought
BIL

Post by BIL »

Important to note that, unlike say Contra Hard Corps' slide, Sunset Riders' is 100% NOT invincible. Gotta use it pro-actively! This is vitally useful VS Chief Wampum.

That said, in a markedly progressive move for Konami run/guns, nearly all enemies are harmless to touch. Only exceptions I know of are the st4 balcony bros, who kill on contact... which is fair enough, as they're stationary targets, and you could otherwise just get meaty on 'em. Other enemies and bosses can be slid through without issue.

Obvious caveat for those who have close-quarters attacks, like the standard running knifers, the fifth boss, Chief Wampum's tribesmen, and the Chief himself. Even if they slash at you, it's possible to escape if you're quick on the jump/slide. SR is remarkable flexible and forgiving, for a coin-op. The first loop feels more like a console action game, though I've yet to see the second and am bracing my ass cheeks.

---

Oh shit men, ACA NAUGHTY BOY IS OUT

...WTF is Naughty Boy? Being Jaleco - VERY EARLY JALECO at that! - means an instant "approach with caution," but approach I shall. Once I get TEH ROMZ fired up.

Oh Jaleco. I want to rove you, but you're a stubbornly perennial mid-carder. 3; Saint Dragon is my jam but that is NMK's. Let's see if TEH LORD OF KING can make it out, AKA what happens when little Timmy leaves his He-Man and Aliens figures in the same bucket.

---
BareKnuckleRoo wrote:curse you BIL, see what your obsession with Gynoug phalluses has wrought
My greatest regret is not using Gynoug Dickman for my account name, so that each and every new post would cause his painfully tumescent todger to swell yet harder, until the day it encroaches upon the walls of its interdimensional prison! This is the plot of my cruelly deleted Original Content Donut Steel, THE CYBER FORCE, lost after that scheissevogel GOOMPALO got the thread I posted it in nuked off the server! Fortunately, I saved it from my browser cache and will now give it a stable home! Image

THE CYBER FORCE

Just imagine... TREVOR from the GTA 5 teams up with GRADIUS and 1942 to get revenge on everyone's favourite mastermind, GYNOUG DICKMAN, after a routine checkup with a traitorous surgeon sees Trevor's junk replaced with a mighty gravitational warhead, primed to annihilate the space-time continuum! :shock:
Spoiler

“Every night, I can feel my [REDACTED]… and my [REDACTED]… even my [REDACTED]. The [REDACTED] I’ve lost… the [REDACTED REDACTED] I’ve lost… won’t stop hurting! It’s like they’re all still there! You feel it, too, don’t you?!

I'm going to make him give it all back!

"What the fuck? Look pal I just signed up to kill some nips and get a little poontang. Sorry about your junk though. Had a buddy at Pearl Harbor get his whole-"

"If we don't get Trevor's junk fixed, there's no future for any of us.

Let's roll."
APRIL 2025 ;-;7 GET READY TO CRYING RN
trap15

Post by trap15 »

BIL wrote:Let's see if TEH LORD OF KING can make it out
Except that one's Aicom's :lol:
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Ah jeeze... I didn't know, I swear. :mrgreen:

Aha! Plus Alpha is alright by me. Nothing I go nuts over, but it gets going fast. Ultimately, like most Toaplanesques, it makes me want to play the real thing, or something harder-edged like Trigon or Raiden, both of which are upcoming (barring more COVID holdups).

As for R2RKMF material, I really wanted to like Formation Z. Excellent concept, an air/ground transforming mecha with Scramble-esque fuel pressure. The jet form has a ripping sense of speed, with just the right degree of inertia (ie minimal), but it eats up fuel and you have to save it for long stretches of water. Unfortunately the ground combat is shockingly basic and awkward even for 1984. With less annoying handling it might've been a neat paleo-Wolf Fang. (I suspect Namco's Finest Hour is something I should try, in that dept)

A pretty good streak coming up for ACA, hopefully. Guevara, Burgertime, mahfuckin WIZ and Zero Team (would be very surprised if this didn't include at least New Zero Team, given Hamster's track record) are all on my radar, and Burnin' Rubber might suck, for all I know, but I'm glad to see it pop up. Always liked its NES incarnation Bump n Jump. Just getting more DECO stuff at all makes me hopeful for much-needed THUNDER ZONE ("SAYANORA, PAL")
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

I think there's some sort of copyright issue with "Bump 'n Jump" since that was the name of the US arcade version and recent emulations used the original JP name of Burnin' Rubber. The FC game originally used a different name from the AC version, Buggy Popper. The original game had ports on Atari 2600, Intellivision, and Colecovision under the Bump 'n Jump name. Out of those three, I found the Intellivision to be the closest to the arcade. The CV version is a bit choppy and 2600 took measures to keep the flicker down, as usual for M-Network 2600 games, though I still found it fun to play.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Interesting... I've always been kinda intrigued by Data East's early presence in the NTSCU territories. For a while, I'd assumed Burger Time was actually Western-made, with it being so seemingly ubiquitous on those consoles.

Gave T.A.N.K. a sleepy go this evening - it's a much milder kickoff than Ikari or Dogo, and I'd put it off for a rainy post-GUEVARA day (I'm really looking forward to that one). Made it to "Statue" for the first time (the contiguous, gigantic map is so cool), seems it's where the knives come out. Speedy, aggressive, devious tanks everywhere, instantly ramping the tension up. I tend to love Obada-san's rotary topdown shooting, and were it not for my distracted bloodlust for Guevara, I'd probably fire this one up as my B game opposite Sunset Riders. It's excellent work from what I can tell.

As for Sunset - Marc, tested out the [crouch] input, couldn't notice any lag (PS4 ver, DS4 with beat-to-shit dpad... it died three times and was reborn twice, you might say Image). Seems instantaneous ala Contra.

Man, I love how quickly the slide lashes out. Good show pilgrim.

However, I did notice that if you're 30hz autofiring, your [slide] inputs can seemingly get blocked. TBH, autofire is only useful when you've lost the in-game AF powerup, and they're not hard to regain (outside of bosses). Still, this is something to keep in mind. I tend to use autofire when exiting doors or starting boss duels, as this is one of those games where you can't simply hold the button to start blasting.

Incidentally, paragon of control The Ninja Warriors Again (SFC) lets you hold [attack] to instantly get your guard up, when resuming control... TNWOA doesn't, you have to manually hit the button while hoping you've not missed the invisible cue. Tiny but niggling flaw. I'm writing to Natsume on Monday to query if this and the much bigger input issue might be fixed.

Still hitting SIR RICHARD ROSE on a credit with a bunch of silly deaths en-route, it's not a difficulty first loop but it is a fairly punishing one - can go from riding high to fatally hemmed in with lethal quickness. Definitely not a game to play drowsy, as befits the gunfighter aesthetic. Image
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

BIL wrote:SR is remarkable flexible and forgiving, for a coin-op. The first loop feels more like a console action game, though I've yet to see the second and am bracing my ass cheeks.
Sunset Riders is remarkably fair. Satisfying difficulty but far from impossible. The cowboy theme is top tier and the gameplay is on point. It's pretty much a perfect game. And if you want to just let loose and not go for glory the multiplayer is pretty damn fun too.

And just about everyone seems to have fond memories of it. I can always get friends/family to play it even if they normally don't give a shit about arcade games. It's got some of that secret sauce.

The only bullshit I can remember is some janky ass collision detection on some cliff sides in one of the later levels.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Man, I wished my Sunset Riders PCB was working :(
Marc

Post by Marc »

BIL wrote:As for Sunset - Marc, tested out the [crouch] input, couldn't notice any lag (PS4 ver, DS4 with beat-to-shit dpad... it died three times and was reborn twice, you might say Image). Seems instantaneous ala Contra.
Yeah, dug out the 8bitfo dongle & SNES mini pad and it's all good. It just feels odd having to hold straight down rather than a diagonal, so probably my own fault at times.

Those balcony dudes piss me off, I sail through to there now, and drop lives grabbing the chandelier when I'd really rather not. Not really had chance to practise the boss after because the few credits I've played since I've only ended up there on 1 life, but he seems pretty simple.

Loving it so far.
BareKnuckleRoo wrote:If you're digging that style of run 'n gun, I strongly recommend its spiritual successor, Wild West C.O.W. Boys of Moo Mesa (apparently based on a cartoon made by one of the TMNT artists). It's actually a much more forgiving game than Sunset Riders overall when you master its special move, as its equivalent of the slide is actually a jumping dodge with full invulnerability.
Yeah, I've been looking at that along with Mystic Riders. I guess the licence means it's probably an outside bet for an ACA release sadly.
BIL wrote:Aha! Plus Alpha is alright by me. Nothing I go nuts over, but it gets going fast. Ultimately, like most Toaplanesques, it makes me want to play the real thing, or something harder-edged like Trigon or Raiden, both of which are upcoming (barring more COVID holdups).

A pretty good streak coming up for ACA, hopefully. Guevara, Burgertime, mahfuckin WIZ and Zero Team (would be very surprised if this didn't include at least New Zero Team, given Hamster's track record) are all on my radar, and Burnin' Rubber might suck, for all I know, but I'm glad to see it pop up. Always liked its NES incarnation Bump n Jump. Just getting more DECO stuff at all makes me hopeful for much-needed THUNDER ZONE ("SAYANORA, PAL")
Yeah Plus Alpha is fine, but it just doesn't really get me going properly for reasons I can't really put my finger on.
DECO wise, I'm hoping for Lock 'n' Chase myself, I LOVE that game. Spent untold hours addicted to the Intellivision version as a kid.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

In the same vein of me noticing Streets of Rage's safe landing tech (hold up + jump when thrown to not take damage) not being detailed anywhere in the English manuals except the first game's manual and the Game Gear manuals, I've just noticed: Wild Guns doesn't appear to have a PDF scan of the original SNES manual anywhere, and both of the guides on GameFAQs appear to fail to mention that the Vulcan cannon ("V.Gun") meter specifically increases by shooting down enemy bullets. Was it in the original manual at all? Who knows? With the recent release of the original SNES Wild Guns on Switch I've seen a number of people streaming this co-op chatting amongst themselves who just assume it goes up when you kill stuff and not actually experiment to actually see what's raising it.

I'm going to assume the original Japanese manuals were much more thorough about this, being written in an era where it was assumed the player would read the manual to learn the finer points of the game because there wasn't always the expectation of a detailed tutorial.
CIT

Post by CIT »

Fuuuuuck... I was planning to relax with some Metroid: Samus Returns next, but the world of the Magician Lord keeps drawing me back in. I'm going for the no damage clear now. Image

I worked out how to pull off the double jump as well (yes, it does exist), although execution is really iffy and I'm not really sure there's any good use for unless you're speed running or something. I did check out the lone green statue in stage 1 though. (This one: https://i.postimg.cc/RV4zSxfJ/ml.png)

Also refined my stage 5 axe guardian strategy. Very unreadable pattern and definitely the mini-boss that took the longest to really get to grips with.

Apart from that I gave Robo Army a spin. I really like the appropriately clangy sound design, and how little hits most enemies take to be blown up, but I dunno, something about the controls feels really imprecise.
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

Robo Army's back-kick is almost always the only move that matters, though. Trying to optimize the transformation time was good fun too.

How do you pull off a double jump in ML?
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

To Far Away Times wrote:
BIL wrote:SR is remarkable flexible and forgiving, for a coin-op. The first loop feels more like a console action game, though I've yet to see the second and am bracing my ass cheeks.
Sunset Riders is remarkably fair. Satisfying difficulty but far from impossible. The cowboy theme is top tier and the gameplay is on point. It's pretty much a perfect game. And if you want to just let loose and not go for glory the multiplayer is pretty damn fun too.
It's funny. Having not played the AC version until more recently, I used to assume the Genesis version's difficulty was more on par with the arcade because of the harder to dodge bullets when it's the SNES version's difficulty that's much closer.
CIT

Post by CIT »

Bassa-Bassa wrote:Robo Army's back-kick is almost always the only move that matters, though. Trying to optimize the transformation time was good fun too.
Cool! Gonna have to try that move.
How do you pull off a double jump in ML?
You gotta press jump and then shot really quickly after another, then right at the moment the shot appears, press jump and then shot again. Only works with some of the forms, like Elta and Shinobi. I can only get it work about 1/10 times though. :lol:
BIL

Post by BIL »

Reminds me of Sword Master (FC)'s triple jump, which I suspect is just a bug. Image Particularly with SM being the rehabilitated followup to Athena's infamous "kusoport of a kusoge" DRAGON UNIT.

Too tricky to rely on, IMO, but play with autofire on [jump] and you can dodge anything the game throws at you - 4 FREE. Image

Or maybe it's legit... the game design certainly acknowledges the Getsu Fuuma Den-style "falling jump" for snatching items out of pits. Could be a whole subgenre of sword action games with gravity-defying (but just the once!) protagonists out there.
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

I agree that it sounds like it's a bug. The game was a bit unpolished/untested, getting hit sometimes could place your character where it was not supposed to, and that sort of things.

Now, Dragon Unit arcade is not what I'd call kusoge, though in the context of arcade games it's really unpolished (unfinished?) so there's that. An easy one from time to time doesn't hurt.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

I dunno man, Dragon Unit is pretty kusoge on all platforms. Arcade version has plenty of kuso aspects, though in general it's better than the FC version. The horrendous audio quality (a shame, Sho writes good stuff). The damage calculation (try getting mace and looping it around a boss and be amazed at how your entire life is demolished). Being like 5 minutes long if you just speed past everything. It's overall quite janky and poorly implemented really.

Still great in my mind though, has all the glorious Athena qualities one can't help but love.

ESPECIALLY
Spoiler
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
BIL

Post by BIL »

trap15 wrote:ESPECIALLY
Spoiler
:lol:

Other good things about DU:

* HERETIC FOREST is a \m/etal as fuck stage name Image

* Title BGM is total Monday Morning Alarm Clock material Image ROCKEN like DOKKEN
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

BIL wrote:Reminds me of Sword Master (FC)'s triple jump, which I suspect is just a bug. Image Particularly with SM being the rehabilitated followup to Athena's infamous "kusoport of a kusoge" DRAGON UNIT.
I watched a video of Sword Master. It has Papa Smurf as a boss/midboss!
BIL

Post by BIL »

Sword Master has a lot going for it. Knockout audiovisuals (rockin tunes and teh PARALLAX :o), tight hit detection, relentless pace that approaches an 8bit Alien Soldier. Sadly though, just about every boss is shut down by USAGI NO KEN. Hop like a jackrabbit on crack while landing falling strikes, and you'll win every time. Not a patch on Zelda II's knightly duels.

Bizarrely, in a priceless Athena-ism, your EXP level carries over between games, and even console resets. You have to physically power off the machine to restore your default level. With bosses falling faster and faster to my "Methamphetamine Jackrabbit" style, I initially thought I was just getting better. :sad: :lol:

It will always have my favourite 2D zombie ever, at least.

Poor bastard. Head and upper body lolling groundward, arms askew and sickeningly palsied, feet dragging flat... I like my undead with a degree of pathos; broken, ravaged bodies impelled by ruthless force to rise and lash out. In a peppier mode, Vampire Killer zombies are also exemplary. Look at those rotten puce-toned sods flinging themselves onward in the target's general direction! That's not the gait of a healthy individual! Also, sometimes there is a pesky fly who scarpers at the first sign of trouble.
Spoiler
Last edited by BIL on Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

trap15 wrote:(try getting mace and looping it around a boss and be amazed at how your entire life is demolished).
That happened to me many times, yep. The game is really unpolished as I mentioned, feels indeed janky at times in every regard, but it still works as a game. A kusoge to me has to be a laughable attempt at that in the end. I believe the term is a bit abused these days.
copy-paster

Post by copy-paster »

Revisit X68000 Akumajo Dracula via emulator yesterday. I might realize this long time ago, but She-Wolf will duck if you spam boomerangs when she's on the ground, this does not exist on two modes of PS1 port, and my run ended from here too. I don't remember how did I pass this stage and got a 1CC later back in the day :roll:
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Yes bro at some point in the next few weeks I'll be jumping back in to get my first 1cc !
keep at it
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

BIL wrote:Oh shit men, ACA NAUGHTY BOY IS OUT
I had not heard of this one before. Took a look on PSN, of course there's no gameplay video :? but there's the broadcast section where you can watch someone's recording. Clicked on the first one, it's a guy playing score attack (5 minute mode). The dude uses a safe spot strategy, and as he kills dudes the value keeps going up faster and faster, until he rolls the score over about three minutes in. Seems like an interesting game, but scoring just might be a bit broken. :lol:
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Naughty Boy is Killer Croc's favorite game!