Ninja Gaiden [NES] + R2RKMF: Scrolling Action Monogatari

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Sumez

Re: Ninja Gaiden [NES] + Scrolling Action Monogatari

Post by Sumez »

BIL wrote:
Yoshiaki Iwata wrote:At that time, we negotiated with Warner Bros and only made the following promise.
· Batman does not kill people.
· Batman does not drags his cloak to the ground and does not walk.
In the game, we developed Batman (FC) not to kill people, not to drag cloaks.
ta @ soprano1 for linking these, they are superb. Image I dunno Iwata-san, I came away shaken by the memory of MDBR! :shock: (that's Millions of Dead Battle Roombas)
That quote is made even more confusing by the fact that in the movie this game is based on, Batman does indeed both murder several crooks, drags his cloak on the ground, and walks(?) quite a bit.
There's a crazy discrepancy between how easy fighting the Joker looks and how hard it is to actually pull off. I have yet to complete this game. Maybe I should just accept the help I need and get to savestate practicing :|
BIL

Post by BIL »

Sumez wrote:That quote is made even more confusing by the fact that in the movie this game is based on, Batman does indeed both murder several crooks, drags his cloak on the ground, and walks(?) quite a bit.
Yeah, and where Joker's movie demise might be filed under accidental death by helicoptering misadventure, the FC has Batman flat-out murder him. After beating the shit out of him. :lol: On the player's command, even - game won't end until you manually walk... I mean, run Bats over to his fallen target to commence Bat-defenestration!
There's a crazy discrepancy between how easy fighting the Joker looks and how hard it is to actually pull off. I have yet to complete this game. Maybe I should just accept the help I need and get to savestate practicing :|
Big issues are the lightning having a fairly obscure safespot dodge, and the gun doing a brutal 3HP a shot. Having forgotten most of the game's finer details, I was getting my ass handed to me by the former. I knew the safespot was somewhere near the barrel of the lowered gun, but I'd remembered being able to use it while landing punches. Still not certain you can't, but I was getting fried so I backed up.

Other than that, it's just a matter of staying in close (to avoid both the lightning, and the much bigger threat of getting shot), and spamming punches (to cancel his contact damage, so he won't run into you - the cancel time is very generous, it's a snap). When he switches sides, follow with a long jump timed to avoid possible gunshots and resume. Punches do tons of damage, he won't last very long.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Might give this game another run some time soon. The only occasions where I have played it to the end boss has been in social settings where it's been hard to delve truly into the game. I really do like it though.

Also, stage 4 tune is a banger.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Hell yes. Image That one's an all-Sunsoft highlight, toweringly catchy and driven. Stage 4's my visual favourite too, chock full of cruel but colourful heavy industry in varying stages of ruin. As always, there are no scene-breaking "traps," just intruder-maiming hazards appropriate to the setting. Eerie and malevolent yet vibrant... I particularly like the sickly red webbing near 4-2's incinerator pit, which could pass for either some ghastly bio-engineering, or just brutal fire damage. Or maybe some ghastly bio-experiment that got blown up in a fire. Prime example of the FC game rejecting the movie's downbeat look for its own infinitely more striking comic book world.
LichbannMejolaro

Post by LichbannMejolaro »

Just wanted to say how much I love this thread. Even though I almost never post around here, I got a lot of great games to play because of it.

Holy Diver, Contra Hard Corps, Hagane, Street Fighter 2010, Ninja Five-O, Shadow Dancer and so on...lots of games that were part of my childhood but that I only played seriously (as in trying to 1cc) after I saw the praise over here.

As some of you mention in the previous pages, I'd love to see a compiled list of everything that's been mentioned over here with opinions and such. I'd even try to do it myself if I knew how could I get all the 250 pages in one single pdf or something.

Anyway, please keep going. There aren't a lot of threads so great as this one in the whole internet.
__SKYe

Post by __SKYe »

Ex_Mosquito wrote:Here is a 1-Life & no-damage replay of the NeoGeo classic, Magician Lord.
Congrats. You have a most impressive arcade clears list there.
LichbannMejolaro wrote:Anyway, please keep going. There aren't a lot of threads so great as this one in the whole internet.
Rest assured; I'm pretty sure this thread will never be left behind. :)
Vanguard

Post by Vanguard »

Ex_Mosquito wrote:Here is a 1-Life & no-damage replay of the NeoGeo classic, Magician Lord.
Nice job! Would you say that the standard magician is the best form for any clear or was that only in the context of a no damage clear? I have basically no experience with playing this game, but I always loved the evil wizard's speeches. The bizarre wording and the neutral voice delivery are both perfect. Like the music and his portrait are supposed to seem really threatening but then he calmly says "I'm destined just to die."
Ex_Mosquito

Post by Ex_Mosquito »

@__SKYe. Heya thanks. It’s okay I guess. I want to play more but it’s hard to find the time these days :/
Vanguard wrote:
Nice job! Would you say that the standard magician is the best form for any clear or was that only in the context of a no damage clear? I have basically no experience with playing this game, but I always loved the evil wizard's speeches. The bizarre wording and the neutral voice delivery are both perfect. Like the music and his portrait are supposed to seem really threatening but then he calmly says "I'm destined just to die."
I’d say, yes. The transformations almost feel like a downgrade, and the only way to get back to the Magician is by taking hits resulting in losing a bar off your POW meter. Keeping the POW meter on max is pretty important in this game to take enemies out quickly before the randomly spawning enemies cause you ungodly troubles, especially in stages 5 and 6.
My Arcade 1-Credit Replays
http://www.youtube.com/user/exmosquito
BurlyHeart

Post by BurlyHeart »

Beware the ramblings of a mediocre player ahead.

Partially inspired by Exmosquito's recent video of a 1LC in Metal Slug, I finally sat down to try and learn stage 3. Shame on me for never using save states before, but in my defence, it's a feature not usually available on consoles. ACA's Metal Slug on PS4 has one, thankfully, and I put it to use last night. Allen O'Neil has always been a death point for me, and I never really bothered to learn his patterns, being satisfied with getting through stage 1&2 unscathed. After a few attempts, I managed to kill him without a death. I've also no missed the stage 3 boss, though not in the same run. With more practice I'm sure I can do it.

I also picked up Mother Russia Bleeds on sale for $3. Initial impressions were not favorable. The game requires the use of 8 buttons, which is a lot for any game and overkill for a beat 'em up. However, it is starting to grow on me. The injection mechanic is an unusual one, and one I haven't quite mastered yet. The story and world setting is also interesting, and I'm intrigued to see how the game unfurls. It also doesn't appear to be as offensive as I was led to believe, but then again I'm not Russian and it's not really for me to decide.
Now known as old man|Burly
YouTube
Shmup Difficulty Lists:
Japan Arcade - To Far Away Times - Perikles
Marc

Post by Marc »

Leviathan wrote:Beware the ramblings of a mediocre player ahead.

Partially inspired by Exmosquito's recent video of a 1LC in Metal Slug, I finally sat down to try and learn stage 3. Shame on me for never using save states before, but in my defence, it's a feature not usually available on consoles. ACA's Metal Slug on PS4 has one, thankfully, and I put it to use last night. Allen O'Neil has always been a death point for me, and I never really bothered to learn his patterns, being satisfied with getting through stage 1&2 unscathed. After a few attempts, I managed to kill him without a death. I've also no missed the stage 3 boss, though not in the same run. With more practice I'm sure I can do it.

I also picked up Mother Russia Bleeds on sale for $3. Initial impressions were not favorable. The game requires the use of 8 buttons, which is a lot for any game and overkill for a beat 'em up. However, it is starting to grow on me. The injection mechanic is an unusual one, and one I haven't quite mastered yet. The story and world setting is also interesting, and I'm intrigued to see how the game unfurls. It also doesn't appear to be as offensive as I was led to believe, but then again I'm not Russian and it's not really for me to decide.
He still gives me trouble if I don't get there with the HMG, he's my only issue up until around halfway through the final stage now. That final stage is a massive roadblock though, feels nearly as long as the rest of the game put together.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
mycophobia

Post by mycophobia »

i've always found that staying directly above or below Allen helps me to not get hit by him.
Obscura

Post by Obscura »

O'Neil is easy; stay on the top ledge towards the front of it, and duck under his bullets. If he runs across the ground for a diagonal shot, jump over him and up the other side. Repeat until he dies.

If you've got grenades to spare (you should), it's also easy to put him in an AI loop. If you give him enough time to react to one, he'll back off and jump back up the ledge on his side; this will give you plenty of time to shoot at him.

Stage 3 boss is easily cheesed. In the last part of the stage, make sure to keep the slug, and make sure to grab the explosives as grenades, not cannon shells. When the boss comes in, duck in the slug and rapid-fire grenades; if you get the spacing right, you'll kill him before he even gets to attack.
Ex_Mosquito

Post by Ex_Mosquito »

If he jumps down you can also quick kill him by stabbing him and jumping in an arch, land and repeat until dead. It’s surprising effective and you can usually kill him before he decides he wants to change his rng. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e62Y8ynnpFI&t=8m42s
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

yall know bout this?
https://legendsoflocalization.com/lets- ... n-prequel/

I've seen rips of old JAVA / BREW games and I bet it's still out there somewhere...heh
BIL

Post by BIL »

^ Oh heck no, early 00s phone games of questionable merit have become nostalgic. :shock: Which gives them a distinct edge over current phone games of similar standing! From a quick deco I see the edge-patroller enemy type (variant "PORTLY ZOMBIE PIRATE") has really gotten his shit together and is now all up in Ryu's grill. :cool:
LichbannMejolaro wrote:Just wanted to say how much I love this thread. Even though I almost never post around here, I got a lot of great games to play because of it.

Holy Diver, Contra Hard Corps, Hagane, Street Fighter 2010, Ninja Five-O, Shadow Dancer and so on...lots of games that were part of my childhood but that I only played seriously (as in trying to 1cc) after I saw the praise over here.

As some of you mention in the previous pages, I'd love to see a compiled list of everything that's been mentioned over here with opinions and such. I'd even try to do it myself if I knew how could I get all the 250 pages in one single pdf or something.

Anyway, please keep going. There aren't a lot of threads so great as this one in the whole internet.
Always glad to hear this thread's been of some use to fellow hobbyists. :smile: SF2010 is one of my favourites covered over the years. Such rugged technical action on offer if you can get past the willfully unfriendly entry curve.

For my part, striving to become Actual Dr. Biruford has proven quite a bitch. Image Swamped with visiting family and planning a move on top of that, so I dunno if I'll be quite as active here going forward. I'll be getting that short list finished sometime after the 25th though, least I can do! Currently idling at 25% done, I made it to page 50 or so and promptly scarpered. :lol:

This was always a conversational thread, for good and ill, so I dunno how well it'll all hold up in isolation. But oh well. A backup would be nice too, but I'm less fussed about that lately.
Ex_Mosquito wrote:@__SKYe. Heya thanks. It’s okay I guess. I want to play more but it’s hard to find the time these days :/
Same, I had to wait until this weekend just to watch your replay. :mrgreen:
Keeping the POW meter on max is pretty important in this game to take enemies out quickly before the randomly spawning enemies cause you ungodly troubles, especially in stages 5 and 6.
I was about to say, you really kept things locked down throughout! The first and last time I played Magician Lord was friggin ages back, like 2001 on Kawaks. Long before I had any idea of how to approach harder games, let alone harder coin-ops. So I remembered it being a nonstop bludgeoning. I was going to say the game looked sparser than I recalled, but I figured you must've been controlling it pretty expertly, as to be expected of your replays.

Other than some very nice downshots, I was shamelessly most interested in how the game's presentation holds up. Always remembered it having bursts of stunning BG work, yet all too many nondescript corridors keeping it far short of Daimakaimura or Strider. The corridors are at least pretty well-detailed, but wow - the good stuff still pops out. The all too briefly-seen parallax vista at the start of st1, the rubble and gnarled overgrowth opening st2, and especially the gruesome third stage. I get the feeling the art team had serious talent, but lacked the manpower of Capcom etc and couldn't sustain those highlights over a full game.

They could certainly render forbidding ethereal landscapes, at least. Ending backdrop looks great too, though they didn't quite nail the Vampire Hunter D effect on the protagonist's profile shot. Dude looks like he's got problems. :shock: :lol: Good job I have just the solution! :wink:

^ (best post on forum)

OST is superb as ever. I especially like stage 4's melancholic synth-rock, kinda recalls Go Sato's Raiden II compositions.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

BIL wrote:^ (best post on forum)
#8 googs result for "magician lord art." #6 is from furryaffinities tho :/
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

BIL wrote: OST is superb as ever. I especially like stage 4's melancholic synth-rock, kinda recalls Go Sato's Raiden II compositions.

I have been on full protestant mode (say, answering working e-mails while brushing my teeth...) for a while, so I simply have no time to do anything relevant outside work.

I had to answer to this comment, though...

If you have any castles nearby, paying a visit on a cloudy, winter day while listening to this piece is a bliss. I remember listening to Magician Lord's OST a lot while mountaineering, when I visited the Lake District(s ?), and when I was in Iceland. It has that otherwordly feeling that goes extremely well with a certain kind of rugged, isolated environment.

Thanks for the video too, EX_Mosquito :D
Chomsky, Buckminster Fuller, Yunus and Glass would have played Battle Garegga, for sure.
Ex_Mosquito

Post by Ex_Mosquito »

@Bil cheers :) Regarding the spareness, rushing through the stages doing a mini-jump advances the screen speed just enough to significantly reduce troublesome random spawns. For example on the first section of stage 1 just before you go down the final ladder, if I were to take my time just walking normal speed throughout the stage I would get 2 annoying spawning bats just before I descend. It’s especially important on stage 5+6 to do mini-jumps to limit the meatball enemies. Starting those stage with a level1 POW and just walking normal speed is like night and day in difficulty.

I agree with with you about the graphics and ost, they’re stunning. I think if the jumping mechanics and game/level design were given a little more care then it would a stone cold classic, as it stands it’s just ...meh.

@Randorama Chhers :) Heh, I have 3 castles near me, I’ll give it a try :) Sounds quite the experience.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Aha! I noticed the bunnyhops, but thought you were just bopping along to the first-rate tunes. :mrgreen: I do stuff like that sometimes... I was disappointed in myself recently though, my weapon-switching rhythm wasn't quite perfect while demonstrating why Batman's JP stage 1 BGM selection is superior. Image (it is though, for that and other reasons!)
drauch

Post by drauch »

Ed Oscuro wrote:
BIL wrote:^ (best post on forum)
#8 googs result for "magician lord art." #6 is from furryaffinities tho :/
This makes me so happy. I'm always afraid this picture is going to disappear forever.
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
Ex_Mosquito

Post by Ex_Mosquito »

BIL wrote:Aha! I noticed the bunnyhops, but thought you were just bopping along to the first-rate tunes. :mrgreen: I do stuff like that sometimes... I was disappointed in myself recently though, my weapon-switching rhythm wasn't quite perfect while demonstrating why Batman's JP stage 1 BGM selection is superior. Image (it is though, for that and other reasons!)
Hah nice :) risky manoeuvre! That could make a neat Ninja Spirit replay I reckon
Obscura

Post by Obscura »

Ready to get triggered? Watch this moron!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1zhhd-JrqA

EDIT: Watching this scrub play Ninja Gaiden 2-2 and stop on literally every pillar instead of continuing to move forward is literally painful. I feel my soul dying.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Obscura wrote:Ready to get triggered? Watch this moron!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1zhhd-JrqA

EDIT: Watching this scrub play Ninja Gaiden 2-2 and stop on literally every pillar instead of continuing to move forward is literally painful. I feel my soul dying.
"Game design wasn't even a thing at the time" Wow

I just got up and punched the nearest wall

Kudos to this guy for rattling me I guess, I am beyond pissed by that vid haha
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

He has the face of a soft man, never hardened in the purifying fires of pain - I mean Ninja Gaiden.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

EmperorIng wrote:He has the face of a soft man, never hardened in the purifying fires of pain - I mean Ninja Gaiden.
:lol: true, and well said
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
BurlyHeart

Post by BurlyHeart »

Wow. That's just....wow.

One tidbit out of a few in the opening minutes -Apparently NES games have what he calls "artificial difficulty", which he tries to clarify as "it's not hard because it tests your skill to get past a certain hurdle, it's hard because it removes your resources so that you can't attempt the hurdle as often as you'd like."

wtf. I can't watch past 3 minutes. I'm pretty sure he also called fortnite a masterpiece of game design, while also stating game design didn't exist in the NES days.
Now known as old man|Burly
YouTube
Shmup Difficulty Lists:
Japan Arcade - To Far Away Times - Perikles
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

I cringe whenever I hear about older NES games like Castlevania having broken controls. Annoys me even more that a patch was made to "fix" the NES CVIII's controls.
Obscura

Post by Obscura »

EmperorIng wrote:He has the face of a soft man, never hardened in the purifying fires of pain - I mean Ninja Gaiden.
I think the clip of who I assume is him playing 2-2 and stopping on every pillar, as well as the fact that all of his NG clips go no further than stage 2 and all of his Castlevania clips go no further than stage 4 says it all. Well, that, and the fact that he had to use savestates to get through SMB 3, and described the final boss fight against Bowser as being tough.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

At least the retaliation in his comment section is refreshing.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

Ninja Gaiden, managed 4-3, after not too much work, but whooo, the game is absolutely relentless. Seems to me 1CC success is all based around sub-weapon management and knowing more importantly what not to accidentally pick up. But there's a serious amount of insanity going on with the respawns and pitfalls. I feel abused.
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die