Ninja Gaiden [NES] + R2RKMF: Scrolling Action Monogatari

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
BIL

Re: Ninja Gaiden [NES] + Scrolling Action Monogatari

Post by BIL »

__SKYe wrote:Ah, okay. I recall that comment being posted a few time before and thought it was just a random comment on Youtube, but after FinalBaton's post I wasn't sure.

But really, pretty bloody idiot for posting that crap on such a great run. Go figure. :roll:

EDIT:Had to scroll quite a bit, but finally found the comment.
He changed his avatar. :lol:
The Punisher would probably execute him for crimes against gaming, tbh. :mrgreen:
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Stevens wrote:Blinge THROWIN' DOWN like a fucking BOSS.

Nice.
straight savage!
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Lol yeah, savage shitposting and moaning about the game constantly every step of the way. :wink:

Nearly every clear that cost me any effort at all has streams of angry messages over Discord, and usually it's poor ol' Grooktook who's online and takes the brunt of it..

Thanks tho, guys..

Also thanks Obscura for telling me about them 1-ups.. that's the reason I cleared it.
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Lol I know, that was a bit tongue-in-cheek

Poor Squire :cry:
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Blinge wrote:Yeah. Fuck you Sumez.

I just 1cc'd the fucking dumb trashbaby game

fuck y'all!!!!11111
put me back on the task force :x

Now I'm off to yoga class, no really, I am. :mrgreen:
:D
BIL

Post by BIL »

See I told you! It's just like my gay shonen manga! :O
Obscura

Post by Obscura »

Blinge wrote:In what world is this true. for fuck sake.
I'm talking 1cc's here not spamming continues and mashing face against the wall until reaching the end.
I swear ryu's attacks don't land when he's still in these nebulous I-frames? I slashed right through a boxer!
Is everybody going to tell me it's just me and no, I must not've hit the button.
Kind of irrelevant now, but go back and re-watch BIL's 1lc. He's barely paying attention to, like, 2/3rds of the game and gets hit in all sorts of ridiculous ways by all kinds of non-threats that he's not paying attention to, and it doesn't matter because NG is more than happy to let you bumble around anything other than a ledge guarder, chakram dude, or Jacquio. It takes 16 hits to die, holy shit!

Now I can't help imagining a Jacquio that has a Dracula damage scale on his fireballs, and how utterly cruel that would be :lol:
BIL

Post by BIL »

So cruel I'd be forced to fuck him into the ground with the Doritos Code Exterminatus: Holy Fucking Run Ender, Batman! discipline seen only vanishingly in that crummy (yet experienced!) run. Image (crumbs, this page is getting blocked at work too!)

On the learner side, it'd make Jaquio the five seconds of blind agony followed by a free trip down the stairs to 6-1 that Edmans was so adamant he is. :mrgreen:

This brings to mind how importing Dracula's damage scale would likely spoil NG1 as surely as its jump arc or whip. You don't mess with alchemy. Image Ryu being a nails-hard pointblank killer with room to gamble (surrounded by a whole lotta pits) is a big part of the hurtling effect. Chuck yourself at that bird screaming in for the attack, it'll probably work out. Even a stiff beating isn't much of a problem as long as you're always moving towards an escape/counterattack.

I think some respawning walker zako patrolling the floor would be a cool addition to Jaquio. Just enough to make the ground not quite so safe-feeling. Strictly polish though, like the targeted shot I'd give Jashin.

The real offender is that lame-assed Masked Devil, who should've been a supercharged, indestructible (only deflectable) Green Katana-esque that chased you around the room while you hacked down the sphere. Get the game's other best enemy type in with Jaquio/Birds and Jashin/Hammer Bros! (EDIT: although how could I forget Boxers!)

This basically:
Spoiler

There is no sense of ninja master clash in that fight, nor the terrible intensity implied by the BGM! But oh well. That be NG1 bosses for you. On the plus side, JS makes them excellent exclamation point speedkills, and the three good ones are all speedkill-proofed. Luck of the devil.
Last edited by BIL on Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Obscura

Post by Obscura »

The only truly speedkill proofed boss is Basaquer. Jacquio and Jashin just have "you must be at least this experienced at 6-1 through 6-3 to speedkill" signs.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Death is not an option. Image :wink:
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Obscura wrote: NG is more than happy to let you bumble around anything other than a ledge guarder, chakram dude, or Jacquio. It takes 16 hits to die, holy shit!
Hark, the dead horse is spin-slashed.

How does it take 16 hits to die when contact damage, birds etc do 3 blips.
And being hit by a boxer/spinny man, or having 2 enemies near you after a hit = your health will melt.
This is assuming you're the Bumble King and NOT a verteran player who's pushed the game to start a movement. :wink:

Edit:
Speaking of bumble king.. https://youtu.be/35CHNxHL-Wk
My replay and proof of a challenge completed.

Enjoy the shitty edits :mrgreen:
drauch

Post by drauch »

https://youtu.be/35CHNxHL-Wk?t=19m40s

Man, I really wanted to hug you and console you right here. That was rough. I probably woulda broke something.
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

FinalBaton wrote:
Stevens wrote:Blinge THROWIN' DOWN like a fucking BOSS.

Nice.
straight savage!
Almost subconsciously gaoding me into getting back into Ninja Spirit. I was getting there and then I saw something shiny. There are also some other things I want to play - which for me is a rarity. Ebbo's Zero Ranger is on my radar, as well as a few other Metroid styles.

Still having a lot of fun with The Messenger. Almost finished with it and will probably give it a second run through.

Sumez do not click.
Spoiler
After it goes to Metroid style in the 2nd half it is still really fun, but shit could they not have added a few more enemies? That said the 16 bit music is even better than the 8 bit, and that is saying a lot.
You're sure to be in a fine haze about now, but don't think too hard about all of this. Just go out and kill a few beasts. It's for your own good. You know, it's just what hunters do! You'll get used to it.
BIL

Post by BIL »

drauch wrote:https://youtu.be/35CHNxHL-Wk?t=19m40s

Man, I really wanted to hug you and console you right here. That was rough. I probably woulda broke something.
:shock: I didn't know that fleaman respawn could even happen. In the six+ years since getting back into this game I've never encountered it. I suppose I'm in total "make a like a tree and get the fuck out of here" mode once the timestop hits. Come to think of it I've no idea what's (not) spawning in the similar vignette a floor down, either.

Got a laugh out of the watermark. :wink:

Also, I notice fleamen do 2hp a pop? I'd forgotten. That's pretty rough. I'd wondered if there was anything else in that bracket besides the spinkickers.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

oh man, blingey def got raped here. :cry: never seen this respawn happen either. I always pick up the clock running (and whack that candle with the subweapon before starting to make my run) and bypass these bastards
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Soz, It'll be a while before I let anyone touch me..
Vanguard

Post by Vanguard »

Good job on the clear, Blinge!
Blinge wrote:I think I might actually hate ninja gaiden u guize.
When it's going well, it feels awesome.

When it's going bad I want to shit my pants with rage.
Whatever obscura was saying about it being easier to 1cc than any classicvania..
Naww, man. Not for a slowbro like me. I need room(,) for (I am) error.

Edit: aw screw it, i'll just use more spin slash cause i'm a craft cunt ;]
Doesn't seem to help with THE LAST JUMP tho.
Yeah, it's one of those games that gets better the better you are at it. I didn't like it at all on my first few tries.

I'd say rather than being easier or harder than Castlevania, it's got a spikier, less consistent difficulty. Half the hits you take in NG are irrelevant and the other half instantly kill you. Castlevania 1 doesn't have nearly as many instant kills, but pretty much every hit you take matters in the last three stages. Durable protagonists like Ryu also tend to make games dramatically easier as your skill level increases. Jaquio is a nightmare the first time you face him, but now I just consider him part of the victory lap, even though I still only no-miss the game about 10% of the time. At this point I'd rather his fireballs did 2 damage.

That part was hilarious!
BIL

Post by BIL »

Burinju got owned for our sins. :mrgreen: I know where I'm not the fuck scrolling to if I'm ever in that part of town minus time freeze!
Vanguard wrote:I'd say rather than being easier or harder than Castlevania, it's got a spikier, less consistent difficulty. Half the hits you take in NG are irrelevant and the other half instantly kill you. Castlevania 1 doesn't have nearly as many instant kills, but pretty much every hit you take matters in the last three stages. Durable protagonists like Ryu also tend to make games dramatically easier as your skill level increases. Jaquio is a nightmare the first time you face him, but now I just consider him part of the victory lap, even though I still only no-miss the game about 10% of the time. At this point I'd rather his fireballs did 2 damage.
Superbly put.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

More Messenger comments -
Spoiler
New enemies may not be abound in the 2nd part of the game, but there are at least (so far) three completely new areas that you don't access before the twist. One of which is brilliant, might be the best stage in the game.

Still waiting for my button rebind option, but the game at this point feels more like an exploration game that starts off like a side scrolling action game. Far more of the game is non linear than linear.

It is starting to feel like a game that improves the more you play it. Haven't felt this way about a non shmup in a long time.
You're sure to be in a fine haze about now, but don't think too hard about all of this. Just go out and kill a few beasts. It's for your own good. You know, it's just what hunters do! You'll get used to it.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

BIL, did you bookmark the page in here where you compiled a list of worthy Mega Drive action games by any chance?
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

I must have asked this question at least 10 times in the last 18 years, but please indulge me in my terminal senility.
What are good clones, or at least games similar to Capcom's Black Tiger?
Chomsky, Buckminster Fuller, Yunus and Glass would have played Battle Garegga, for sure.
BIL

Post by BIL »

FinalBaton wrote:BIL, did you bookmark the page in here where you compiled a list of worthy Mega Drive action games by any chance?
This one?

It was actually a quick collection rundown, but you know I'm serious, so if it's there it's worthy. ;3 (if it's not... I either can't find or can't afford it :lol:)

Much shorter followup
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Yeah that's the one! Thanks :)
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Also, went to the local barcade last night and UUUUUHHHRRG they have a fucking Bubble Bobble cabinet now! I am so. fucking. happy about this! This is like adream.. didn't have much time to play since we were ready to head out to a metal gig down the street, but I'll go back as much as time permits. The little bit I played in 2 player with my buddy was just too damn fun. Just single screen arcade perfection and charming like a motherfoc :O

They also now have a Sunset Rider cab! oh and a fucking SNOW BROS one! I can't even... no I swear I can't even. Sucks that they took out the Makaimura one, but these additions more than make up for it!
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

I've got Hagane down at this point... except this stupid last boss.

The game is actually pretty damn easy but this rocket can kiss my ass. Any tips or strats on knocking this thing out?

*Update

I beat it but I just spammed Ninja Magic on it. Still open to tactics a little more legit.

I was close to a no death run but I died twice stupidly on the last section where that wall is chasing you from behind. I'm really glad I've forced myself to go through Hagane and Drac X (SFC) recently after owning them since I was in my early 20s (for reference I'm 41 now). Hagane in particularly is EXCELLENT.
Damn Tim, you know there are quite a few Americans out there who still lives in tents due to this shitty economy, and you're dropping loads on a single game which only last 20 min. Do you think it's fair? How much did you spend this time?
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

BIL wrote:He's my go-to excuse whenever anyone bugs me about being so reclusive. :lol:
But if you disable commenting, how will we have anything to mock otherwise?! ;)

Seriously, ridiculously good NG run there. I can't stand to play it myself, the wall jumping feels very stiff, and the melee attack has the tiniest of hitboxes, which makes learning the game that much more impressive. I think I managed to beat the first one without resorting to savestates, but a no continue clear is insane.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

It's longer than it looks, just not very tall.
Also not many active frames.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

I am spoiled by the relatively huge melee "sword" weapon from GUN-DEC/Vice: Project Doom and the wider sword from Yami no Shigotonin Kage/Shadow of the Ninja, both of which are both large and have lots of active frames. I played both of those before NG.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

It's definitely not the more leniant out there, but I've grown to like it. It is reliable and has a super satisfying feel (talking about the hit box appearing 1 frame after the sword animation is fully there thingy, or something to that effct), and it really helps give off that "professional assassin" vibe. At least to me. It's length but thin-ness also reinforce that feel of precision. along with the one hit kills (that aspect is really important). You have this weapon, that requires precision, but that is extremely lethal : it effectively kills all enemies with a single stab. When you master it's use(not that harder than most weapons IMO, you just gotta be more focused), you truly feel like an elite assassin, it really goes a long way to help convey that feel.

Another aspect that reinforces that feel is what BIL talked about regarding my last GIF I posted of the game : how the game often encourage you to focus 100% on a target and avoid some extraneous noise (ie dodge a couple incoming enemies while you're making a run for a particular one and stab him in the neck. All your focus is on murdering this one guy as fast as possible.
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
copy-paster

Post by copy-paster »

I did it... I cleared Metal Slug 3 with one credit!

My heart pounding so hard during Rootmars fight not gonna lie, slug was crashed and I was dodging those updrafts and knifing his brains.