Ninja Gaiden [NES] + R2RKMF: Scrolling Action Monogatari

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
BIL

Re: Ninja Gaiden [NES] + Action Sidescroller Miscs

Post by BIL »

BrianC wrote:Which version of Werewolf/Warwolf should I go for? JP version came later and has some odd differences in level design, but the US version seems has the cooler ending.
Haven't played that one at all... sure looks like classic deranged DECO from that pic in Macaw's thread, though!

"Let's go for a burger! Ha Ha Ha!"
Edmond Dantes wrote:BIL, when you do Ninja Gaiden II, include the cutscenes, please?
Edmans pls. Kusoplay Theatre Vol.1: Ninja Gaiden II!

Misc. observations from this run:

-Keep either the invincible firewheel or updraft for 5-1's spiked dungeon area, the mini Bomberheads will have a field day with your lack of wriggle-room otherwise. Mini Basaquers take only one hit, so get in there and cut them down before they get airborne and cause trouble. Mini Malths can be taken out after one return of their bolas if you're quick with the sword.

-Besides the OTG/landing sword timing being stricter, another engine change is the increased hit knockback on Ryu. This makes any scenario involving a mobile enemy and a nearby pit a potential instant death. I spend most of 6-1 paranoid about the constant pits and failing to deal properly with the rushing + flying enemy types, who benefit greatly from the obscured view. Ultimately if you're going to screw up it's better to take a few hits on safe ground than get wiped out by a pit. I don't know if Act VI has any life restores whatsoever, which was interesting to realise when I reached the pit-free 6-2 with half my health gone. Didn't take any hits from that point until the boss where I took a couple, iirc. I can play serious when my ass is on the line! I refuse to die by beatdown in a game with this much firepower.

-AFAIK there's only one life restore per stage in Act VII, which makes death by attrition a concern with the heavy enemy presence. Rush Boss #1 is easy if you apply the basic shooter principle of herding bullets. #2's acid drops are tricky to avoid but do only 1hp damage. It's the disgorged fireballs you've got to be wary of, 3hp a hit. #3 is fairly harmless unless you're low on health when you decapitate it AND don't know how to minimise exposure to the fallout's trajectory.

-7-2 is much more intense when you get "The Parasprinter" as its BGM. Approaching explosive climax! I got "Going Gets Tough" which makes it feel like things are winding down instead. :/

I respect these games even more after recording playthroughs. It's not too hard to no-miss them with experience, but it's still so easy to get slapped about, whiff attacks, and miss long jumps leaving you ungracefully clinging to a ledge if you're not totally concentrating. Particularly if you like to have your cake and eat it too by killing everything in sight at maximum speed while remaining unscathed. I need to work on my skill with the sword in NGII. NG1's addictive OTG slashing is still in there, just a lot trickier to execute consistently.

I'd like to give NES NGIII a shot, but I'd have to emulate it and I tend to not play in-depth there. I find the US one far preferable... it's not so much that it's outrageously harder than the previous two, more that the JP one is overly easier (even ignoring the unlimited continues and password). There are a number of dead spots in the FC game where more enemies were needed, and the US release added them. Austin is dead-on with his comparison of the two versions. I've 1CCd both but no-missed neither, as even the much easier JP version's last stage has a nasty way of killing by timeout unless you've managed to keep the invincible firewheel and enough ammo to blow through the spike rooms.

I like Shatterhand better than Solbrain too. And Jackal is Disk System-only on FC. And all those Taxan sidescrollers Shou listed in Macaw's thread never got released in Japan. I'll probably be referencing this post in a year's time when I decide to start picking up NES stuff.
Last edited by BIL on Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.
ciox

Post by ciox »

Ahhh, Ninja Gaiden, too bad that for me as the series goes on the game gets better, or at least the controls certainly do.
Anyway nice to see the games being acknowledged, maybe I should try for a no continues play of Ninja Gaiden III and record it, full kuso.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Oh Jesus. :shock: Any NES/FC NG fans looking for a sick laugh? Ninja Gaiden II... AMIGA VERSION *shudder*
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

BIL wrote:Oh Jesus. :shock: Any NES/FC NG fans looking for a sick laugh? Ninja Gaiden II... AMIGA VERSION *shudder*
To make matters worse, there was also a very similar DOS version. I find it funny that, despite the larger color palette, they still mixed up the colors for Ryu and the shadow ninjas.

Is there anything Famicom specific you recommend as far as action sidescrollers? I have Getsu Fuuma Den, Akumajou Densetsu, Rolling Thunder, Goonies, and Akumajou Special Boku Dracula Kun (though Akumajou Densetsu and Rolling Thunder aren't Famicom specific), as far as JP carts go.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Actually no - all of my existing favourites got US releases in some form. I'm not too knowledgeable on good FC exclusives in this genre - I got into it for import shooters like Gradius II and Recca initially. Seems there are actually quite a few NES exclusives, though I can't comment on their quality in most cases. I keep meaning to revisit Macaw's thread and try out a few more of he and the others' picks.

Also, WTF, recording with FCE's Divx codec gets a better-quality video file at a quarter of the size. :? Wish I'd known that, reuploading my NGII cinema run now.
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

Well, you already mentioned Holy Diver which is JP-exclusive. If you want to stretch the definition a bit, there's also Moon Crystal, but it's not as fast-paced and the player character controls more in the old Prince of Persia-vein. I think the game's a bit overrated as well. The JP version of Power Blade is known as Power Blazer and is quite a bit different from the US release, in graphics, stages and gameplay mechanics. But most people seem to prefer the US version.

Not JP-exclusive but I just remembered I have Ninja Crusaders, which certainly belongs in the genre, but isn't as good as the Ninja Gaidens or Batman.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
BIL

Post by BIL »

Whoa, I'd assumed it got a US release like Metal Storm. Cool, in that case Holy Diver is most definitely one to get for your FC (particularly if you like hard, methodical sidescrollers).
Austin

Post by Austin »

Ninja Gaiden II PC wouldn't have been so bad had it not run so damn choppy. Let's also not forget the horrible DOS port of the arcade game! :lol:
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Austin wrote:Ninja Gaiden II PC wouldn't have been so bad had it not run so damn choppy. Let's also not forget the horrible DOS port of the arcade game! :lol:
With the best music ever! ;) I still need to try and beat Ninja Gaiden NES. I have the first two for NES, but I still need to get the US Ninja Gaiden III. It's crazy how the Lynx ended up with a port of the NES Ninja Gaiden III.

Still need to pick up Vice Project Doom, Kickmaster, and Kabuki Quantum Fighter, as well. The Warwolf/Werewolf talk reminded me that I have Captain America for NES, which seems pretty solid.
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

So the year of "[computer] games" threads is upon.
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

BIL

Post by BIL »

You misunderstand me my dear Obi. The thread title specifies which Ninja Gaiden is being discussed (1989 NES game, not 2004 Xbox one). Sidescrollers for any and all platforms are welcome, as you'll notice by my recommendations post on the first page which includes FC, PCE, MD, SFC, SS and PS1 games!

I would actually like to try out the Japanese PC Genocide and Zyclunt (feels so dirty just typing that) games which Macaw has posted some very nice topics on, over at Gamengai. I'm in the mood for some more pitch-black sidescrolling action after spending the last hour making baddies' nervous systems explode from their bodies in Taromaru. Bitch decapitated a baby, you damn right I ruined her shit! :evil:

edit: ah, that's better. NGII no-miss all cinema run without potatovision.
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

I wonder why, when I think of ancient computer action sidescrollers, only games of mecha sub-sub-genre come to mind: Aquales and Night Slave. Have yet to play the latter, but recoil sounds interesting (the defining feature of Baraduke and Cave Story if you ask me, lamentably underused elsewhere).
P.S.Whoa, apperently Abuse got ported to Wii. Technically run 'n' gun, but sidescrolling alright. Weird controls scheme, but what do I know? Not all that different from S&P2 it seems!

Back to 8-bit, anyone else found Arumana no Kiseki less of a bitch than Roc 'N Rope? Sometimes I feel Konami started making coin-op games I enjoy in 1985.
The way out is cut off

Edmond Dantes

Post by Edmond Dantes »

Obiwanshinobi wrote:I wonder why, when I think of ancient computer action sidescrollers, only games of mecha sub-sub-genre come to mind: Aquales and Night Slave.
Huh, that's odd, I think of Duke Nukum, Monster Bash and Commander Keen, myself.
The resident X-Multiply fan.
Drum
Banned User

Post by Drum »

I think of Thexder and Shadow of the Beast.
IGMO - Poorly emulated, never beaten.

Hi-score thread: http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=34327
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

BIO Menace?

also Major Stryker is a sidescroller for monitors turned on their sides.
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

Well, didn't think of Turrican either (perhaps because all computer versions appear to have up for jump).
Oh yes, Dangerous Dave in the Haunted Mansion takes care of the US pride.
The way out is cut off

BIL

Post by BIL »

Hey Marble, reuploaded my NG1 run in a single file as you suggested. I was going to redo it, but actually, there's something funny about one of the big nostalgia gamer bogeyman titles getting knocked over by a bit of educated drunkplay. :p
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

How does the Master System Ninja Gaiden compare? That's neither a port of the arcade game nor of any of the NES ones, right?

I watched a video of it and it seemed almost tame compared to the NES games. I thought it looked rather lovely, though, with some beautiful set pieces. It almost seems to have been made by a completely different team, as it ditches the slightly isometric perspective of the platforms in favour of a more traditional side-on view, exchanges the NES games' grittiness with bright and colourful environments, and seems to have more platform-hanging than wall-clinging.
Edmond Dantes

Post by Edmond Dantes »

Herr Schatten wrote:How does the Master System Ninja Gaiden compare? That's neither a port of the arcade game nor of any of the NES ones, right?
It's an original game. Been awhile since I played it personally but I don't remember it being bad.

Someone mentioned Turrican... apparently, the authors put that up for download on their homepage. I've never played these games before (except I might've played the Gameboy port once) and tempted to give them a go... if I could make them work on Windows 98.
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

Do notice the text under the downloads:
Factor 5 wrote:Legal terms:
You are only entitled to download and use these games if you legally own the original games for the Amiga. These copies are provided strictly for archival usage to owners of the originals. All copyrights remain with their original owners. These games are not in any way intended to be placed in the public domain, as freeware or copied or distributed in any way.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
Mortificator

Post by Mortificator »

That's a pretty silly warning when you consider that the images Factor 5 made are flawed and crap out partway through the games.

It's pretty easy to use WinUAE to run the Amiga Turricans. The only emulation setting that needs to be changed from default is the RAM chip; increase that to 1 MB. Alternatively, the Genesis port of the original Turrican is pretty faithful.
RegalSin wrote:You can't even drive across the country Naked anymore
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Herr Schatten wrote:How does the Master System Ninja Gaiden compare? That's neither a port of the arcade game nor of any of the NES ones, right?

I watched a video of it and it seemed almost tame compared to the NES games. I thought it looked rather lovely, though, with some beautiful set pieces. It almost seems to have been made by a completely different team, as it ditches the slightly isometric perspective of the platforms in favour of a more traditional side-on view, exchanges the NES games' grittiness with bright and colourful environments, and seems to have more platform-hanging than wall-clinging.
I read somewhere that the SEGA Ninja Gaiden games had no involvement from Tecmo, so it's definitely from a different team. There is some speculation from gdri.smspower.org that Sanritsu may have done the SMS version. I definitely plan to get it since I heard, like other first party games, that it plays fine on US systems.
Mortificator

Post by Mortificator »

The Legendary Axe, The Astyanax arcade, and Astyanax NES: three auto-charging axe sidescrollers I've been dicking around with. The Astyanax arcade is the closest to being a respectable game. Your axe doesn't take as long to build up power as in the others, and it gets longer as well as stronger. A lot of the time, though, the best thing to do is stand in place and hack hack hack as enemies blithely walk into your swings. Bosses are often too lethargic to object after you position yourself and start chopping them up.

The extend rate does something I can't remember seeing in another game... after you earn the first three at gradually increasing point intervals, the points needed drops down to that for the first extend, and stays there. More than once I've lost a life and figured my credit was up, only for my dude to pop back up since I'd just gotten enough points for another extend.

If you beat up the female enemies, their clothes fall off and they run around trying to cover up (please don't tell Anita Sarkeesian). Finally, after five stages of dungeons & dragons, the artists got tired of drawing that stuff and set the climax in AN ALIEN HIVE.
Rob

Post by Rob »

The Legendary Axe is a fine game.
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

Why are C64 Turricans considered somewhat cooler than Amiga ones by some? I read Manfred Trenz would prefer working with 8-bit platforms (see Super Turrican for the PAL NES), but do the Amiga Turricans have, dunno, more diluted stage design, gameplay altered for worse or something along those lines?
The way out is cut off

Edmond Dantes

Post by Edmond Dantes »

Ghegs wrote:Do notice the text under the downloads:
Factor 5 wrote:Legal terms:
You are only entitled to download and use these games if you legally own the original games for the Amiga. These copies are provided strictly for archival usage to owners of the originals. All copyrights remain with their original owners. These games are not in any way intended to be placed in the public domain, as freeware or copied or distributed in any way.
I'm not endorsing piracy, I'm just pointing out that they're there.

I watched Youtube videos to compare the Amiga, Mega Drive and TurboGrafx ports... from what I understand from reading articles, the Mega Drive port has all the levels and music but the sound sucks, and the TurboGrafx port has good sound but is missing some of the music tracks and entire levels. So the only way to do it right is to actually get an Amiga. Hope they're not too expensive. Or can UAE run games directly from a real disk?
Mortificator

Post by Mortificator »

Obiwanshinobi wrote:Why are C64 Turricans considered somewhat cooler than Amiga ones by some? I read Manfred Trenz would prefer working with 8-bit platforms (see Super Turrican for the PAL NES), but do the Amiga Turricans have, dunno, more diluted stage design, gameplay altered for worse or something along those lines?
I wondered about that myself, so I watched fast-forwarded playthroughs of the C64 and Amiga versions of Turrican & Turrican II not long ago. Some bosses seemed a little less spammy on the Commie, but the stage designs were mostly the same. I was hoping the 8-bit Turrican II added a final fortress, since that game ended so abruptly, but nope.
BIL

Post by BIL »

SMS Ninja Gaiden didn't seem offensive when I briefly checked it out in emulation, though it didn't grab me either. By contrast the PCE version of NG1 and the profoundly hideous SFC compilation both make me weep the tears of a man whose god has abandoned him!

Here's a no-miss of Akumajo Ryukenden aka Vampire Killer [MD] with Johnny Morris on Expert difficulty. It's marginally easier than the US equivalent, Castlevania Bloodlines, but having grown up with that game it boils down to VK having slightly more room for error with its lower damage scale. I know when I'm slumming it and when I'm doing fine by US standards, so I'm happy to stick with a JP cart for now.

This title should play like a dream for those who love both the Draculas and Ryukendens of the FC, bridging their respective economy and excess in a stylish, fast-moving action game. This is a fairly clean run, but I screw around a bit to demonstrate how aggressively the game plays if the subweapons and the more advanced weapon controls are properly exploited.
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

Mortificator wrote:
Obiwanshinobi wrote:Why are C64 Turricans considered somewhat cooler than Amiga ones by some? I read Manfred Trenz would prefer working with 8-bit platforms (see Super Turrican for the PAL NES), but do the Amiga Turricans have, dunno, more diluted stage design, gameplay altered for worse or something along those lines?
I wondered about that myself, so I watched fast-forwarded playthroughs of the C64 and Amiga versions of Turrican & Turrican II not long ago. Some bosses seemed a little less spammy on the Commie, but the stage designs were mostly the same. I was hoping the 8-bit Turrican II added a final fortress, since that game ended so abruptly, but nope.
I think people are mostly just admiring the fact that Trenz managed to pull off squeezing what is already an impressive Amiga game into the measly 64K of memory of the lesser machine, without downsizing it. (Well, technically, the C64 version of T1 actually came first and I think T2 got developed simultaneously on both machines.)

Gameplay-wise, the versions are identical. While this is certainly impressive enough, I'd always recommend the Amiga versions over the C64 versions. They just play that little bit smoother and, of course, there's the best soundtrack ever, while C64 only has a title track, but no ingame music, iirc.
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

A few more that came to mind: Kyattou Ninden Teyandee aka. Samurai Pizza Cats. It's a JP-exclusive and has very NG-like story scenes, but unfortunately it's a quite an easy game. Keeping with the cat theme there's Rockin' Kats, released in Japan as N.Y. Nyankies, that has a very cool gameplay mechanic with the "gun" that can be used as a melee/mid-range weapon, a grapple gun a la Bionic Commado and a pogostick like Duck Tales. Some of the later stages get pretty challenging and require good mastery of it.

Lastly, there's Panic Restaurant aka. Wanpaku Kokkun no Gourmet World. I've known about it before but just today heard it's a difficult game and went to test it out on emulator, but was sadly disappointed as I got, on my first life ever with the game, to the penultimate stage and to the final stage with the same credit. It's not until the last stage that the jumps and enemy placement get a bit difficult. For some reason I thought it would be cool if the game got a spritehack with the restaurant theme replaced by a feudal Japan theme with ninjas and everything, the game mechanics would work equally well in such a setting.

My videos