Ninja Gaiden [NES] + R2RKMF: Scrolling Action Monogatari

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
BIL

Re: Ninja Gaiden [NES] + Scrolling Action Monogatari

Post by BIL »

Sumez wrote:Aside from the bliss of The Ninja Warriors Again Again™ itself, the best thing I'm able to take away from this is that the team behind Wild Guns Reloaded are blazingly active and willing to continue down this road.

So with that in mind there are a few things I'd like to know:

1. Are any of the original developers involved, or is this a bunch of new kids with the right priorities?
2. Could we possibly be looking forward to new original titles by these people somewhere down the road?
3. Alternatively, or additionally, is it possible they'd consider tackling any of Natsume's 8 bit IPs?
4. Do you think there's a chance they'd sign my penis?

EDIT: Just checked with Mobygames, and seems it's pretty much Natsume's entire SFC team, still going strong. Also, they made Omega Five for some reason.
Yeah I had the impression a lot of the old masters are still there, miraculously enough. It's been a few years now, but blackoak has a great interview with Shunichi Taniguchi at shmuplations. Really gave me the feeling he still had his passion for this stuff.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Excellent news, I gave the SNES version a few hours recently but BIL soured me on it a bit by pointing out the cuts made to the US version - couldn't get the JPN rom to work on my mini.

Much to my shame, I haven't had more than a cursory play of Wild Guns and Reloaded either, which is stupid on my part as Cabal has always been a particular favourite of mine. Should I start with the original, or is Reloaded now the definitive version?
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

I'll have to be perfectly honest, but I think the original appeals more to me, as the wide 16:9 aspect of the new version quickly makes the action overwhelming. But I think it's mostly a question of habit. I really do appreciate the way the updates to the game was handled, instead of making a straight port.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Marc wrote:Excellent news, I gave the SNES version a few hours recently but BIL soured me on it a bit by pointing out the cuts made to the US version - couldn't get the JPN rom to work on my mini.
The SNES one is a step down for sure - missing an entirely unique enemy asset in Katanas, with balance thrown off by the tons of Claws it needed to compensate - but I'd say it's still well worth playing. :smile: The engine and action are identical, ie expertly simple yet finessed and volatile as hell, so there's plenty to get to grips with before moving onto the definitive SFC version.

Main thing is to use either Ninja or Kunoichi - Kamaitachi is one of those EZMODE characters who obviates a huge chunk of his game's challenge, in thiis case by being way over-ranged. Still fun to mess about with - like the other two he has plenty of unique mechanics - just lacks their deadly kill/be killed intensity. I'll be very impressed if the remake evens him out. Should be pretty simple in theory, it's really just his crouching super combo... we'll see I guess.

In some horrible way, given Ninja has a bit more trouble with Claws than the other two on account of their height, maybe SNES/Hard mode is some kinda inadvertent master course. :lol: A character not to be missed, either way.

It's not just any brawler character I'll give a spot on my VPW2 cart! Image
Spoiler

And yeah I can't imagine SFC Wild Guns ever feeling outmoded. It plays too damn smoothly, and the tighter resolution has its own charm. The busted scoring is a bit of a shame but I find myself not caring... I consider the multiplier a confirmation that I'm really dominating a stage section. Defiantly murdering everyone and everything without giving ground until the absolute last instant is pretty rewarding in itself.

Rather like Contra Hard Corps (MD), this is one of those games you need to work to make slow down...
Spoiler

...and it's hella satisfying when it does! Image
Marc

Post by Marc »

I knew you were a man of taste - those N64 wrestling games were amazing, a multiplayer staple (alongside Rock n Roll Racing, X-Men COTA and Sega Rally) for my late teens/early-mid 20's. They still absolutely shit anything that appeared afterwards. Only ever played the UK versions, enjoyed the WVW vs NWO and one of the WWF games, think there was a last one in the series that threw a few too many gimmicks into the mix. I always meant to pick up that Def Jam game that used the engine but never got around to it.
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

Quick question: how is Wild Guns related to Wild West Story (The Tad pseudo-sequel to Cabal?
Chomsky, Buckminster Fuller, Yunus and Glass would have played Battle Garegga, for sure.
Obscura

Post by Obscura »

Marc wrote:I knew you were a man of taste - those N64 wrestling games were amazing, a multiplayer staple (alongside Rock n Roll Racing, X-Men COTA and Sega Rally) for my late teens/early-mid 20's. They still absolutely shit anything that appeared afterwards. Only ever played the UK versions, enjoyed the WVW vs NWO and one of the WWF games, think there was a last one in the series that threw a few too many gimmicks into the mix. I always meant to pick up that Def Jam game that used the engine but never got around to it.
A friend of mine growing up had WWF WrestleMania 2000 on the N64, always a good time. I remember making wrestlers with HHH's body but all of the women's moves, so you'd have this big muscled guy delivering girly slaps to his opponents :lol:
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Randorama wrote:Quick question: how is Wild Guns related to Wild West Story (The Tad pseudo-sequel to Cabal?
I've never heard of this, but if you're thinking of Blood Bros., also by TAD, it was specifically mentioned as an inspiration in the interview BIL linked earlier.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Fuck yeah I love it when AKI's N64 wrasslin' gets recognition. :cool: Remarkable fusions of party/hardcore brawling.
Marc wrote:I knew you were a man of taste - those N64 wrestling games were amazing, a multiplayer staple (alongside Rock n Roll Racing, X-Men COTA and Sega Rally) for my late teens/early-mid 20's. They still absolutely shit anything that appeared afterwards. Only ever played the UK versions, enjoyed the WVW vs NWO and one of the WWF games, think there was a last one in the series that threw a few too many gimmicks into the mix.
Last one you mention sounds like No Mercy - adds a ton of gimmick matches and backstage stuff, not my cup of tea either! More concerningly, its 4P framerate took a hit. It did make one very nice addition: running grapples. Can't just stonewall a running attacker by blocking - they might grab you right out of it, and proceed to plant themselves a Dumbass Tree!

For ages it annoyed me having to choose between WM2000's smooth framerate and NM's slight mechanical edge, but then I found out about the JP exclusive released between them: Virtual Pro Wrestling 2. Image Best of both worlds! Smooth, no-nonsense WM2K performance with NM's crucial finishing touch. It also packs an entire second game's worth of content in its MMA mode, which is freely mix/matchable with the standard pro wrestling engine. No backstage antics but eh, I don't care for that stuff.

My only complaint is that it brings back Revenge's slightly tiring "test of strength" mechanic (you know, when a pair of grapples clash and you've got to mash buttons to determine who's THA MAYNE). A big part of Japanese "puroresu" culture apparently. However, it's coded so once a pair of fighters have clashed, it won't happen again that match - so even that's no biggie. Oh and it'll almost certainly require printing off a translation FAQ, but that's just testament to its labyrinthine content. It's a real opus, wrestling otaku and even a few actual wrestling personalities swear by it to this day.

RIP Leon "Big Van Vader" White!
Spoiler

*DING*
Spoiler

I always meant to pick up that Def Jam game that used the engine but never got around to it.
I never played the first one, but I had some brief, fun times with its sequel Fight For NY. Unfortunately it arrived after my circle of N64 glory years friends had largely dispersed, but from what little I played with my brother it certainly seemed to have AKI's usual quality. Seemed more striking-reliant, but with a familiar sense of technique and Technos-like attrition. Also some winningly cruel stage hazards, parking lot brawl is classic! I distinctly recall yelling "hoooly fuck!" the first time I saw someone DDTd into a windscreen.
Obscura wrote:A friend of mine growing up had WWF WrestleMania 2000 on the N64, always a good time. I remember making wrestlers with HHH's body but all of the women's moves, so you'd have this big muscled guy delivering girly slaps to his opponents :lol:
My favourite thing was turning the poor training dummy into a nightmarishly powerful android, eg making him as criminally cheesy as possible - all instant counters, near-uncatchable KO strikes, and a quick grab moveset full of S-ranked match enders - then unleashing him as a sort of roaming stage hazard in 4P matches. :mrgreen: Human buddies knew what was up, and could work around his bone-crushing cheese... CPU players went right at him and tragicomedy ensued!
Last edited by BIL on Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

Sumez wrote:
Randorama wrote:
I've never heard of this, but if you're thinking of Blood Bros., also by TAD, it was specifically mentioned as an inspiration in the interview BIL linked earlier.

Ah, thanks: I was too lazy and sleep-deprived to double-check the name :oops: .
A bootleg of Blood Bros might be called like that, but I don't have MAME here.
Chomsky, Buckminster Fuller, Yunus and Glass would have played Battle Garegga, for sure.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Balls, I knew when I got rid of the N64 stuff that there would be one, just one occasion when I'd regret it. I share a birthday with one of my other three N64 players, both turn 41 two weeks today, and there's gonna be a houseful of us. Some wrasslin' would have gone down an absolute treat.

I did pick up an X360 game - WWF All-Stars I think - on a recommendation of one of said friends. Reading the manual, I was made up to find it shared and almost identical control scheme. In practice, it didn't delivery quite that same sense of crushing power and weight that the N64 games did, but from the few games I managed it did play like a faster-paced, more arcade take on the same idea. The 360 ended up in limbo not long after so I never got the chance to explore further, but I will rescue it from storage hell this weekend and investigate further.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Bad controls alert!

Spoiler

Milon's Secret Castle, or to be more accurate Meikyuu Kumikyoku: MIRON NO DAIBOUKEN. Image Picked up on a whim with a bunch of arcade-bred killers including its Hudson contemporary Boukenjima, because it was cheap and I had vague fond memories of the NES version. And I'm just fond of Hudson in general.

Potentially excellent arcade/adventure hybrid, held back by stupidly heavy controls. Stage and zako design maintain a keen pressure - the constant simmering threat reminds me of classic Taito single-screeners. Stuff is perpetually divebombing, strafing or otherwise harassing throughout its mischievous little puzzleboxes, with aggressive (but telegraphed) respawning keeping things tight. Bosses are a notably relentless take on SMB1's Hammer Bowser, raining RNG arc death at brutal pace. All this good stuff would provide stern resistance against even sharply responsive controls!

Sadly, Milon does not do sharply responsive controls. Going from stationary to mobile is an agonising trudge, with sudden reactions and subtle corrections completely off the table. Hudson appear to have shot for SMB1's graceful inertia, and managed only ugly parody. Collision detection is airtight, and Milon is at least adequately armed, making it difficult to write off entirely... the game can be brought under control, just in an overly defensive, proactive manner far beneath its potential. It's simply not worth attacking the nastier enemies and bosses head-on; Milon can't juke and jive for shit, so just loiter outside their striking ranges and chip down their HP.

With the stiff resistance, brisk progression and tight runtime, this would be a great single-sessioner. Approach with caution as is - it's enjoyable, but not nearly so much as first impressions may suggest.

This is one of those games with a Continue feature that's revealed in the manual. Hold [left] and hit [start] any time after killing the first boss to use it. Highly recommended - shaves off some annoying trial and error "adventuring" towards the end of the game.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Should I give the game a try despite this? I think I've had a boxed one lying around since my very first Famicom purchase over 15 years ago. I'll shamefully admit to not wanting to give it the time of the day after an AVGN "review" of all things.
BIL

Post by BIL »

It's acceptable for what it is, a moderately challenging treasure hunt. Just annoyingly hamstrung, in a way action veterans will instantly notice. It goes for cheap even now (my copy was damn near NOS), so unless some of that DoReMi magic rubs off one day, it's not like you'll lose out much scratching up the cart a little. :wink:

I imagine you could tighten the controls up to Bubble Bobble spec and have the AVGN review play out exactly the same. It's been forever, but weren't most of his complaints just "waa, its hard and vague" ? It's nothing particularly challenging on either account by veteran standards. You gotta read that fuckin manual, though! Block pushing is a critical mechanic early on (and like once after).
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

I'm not sure if this one fits here - but Raimais by Taito. It has been mentioned in past threads about Taito Legends II - but not for a really long time.

Think Pac Man in space, but lovingly tapped by Taito's late 80's magic wand. It is unsurprisingly awesome - tight controls, useful power ups, great soundtrack (what there is of it), and multiple paths to follow.

It is rare in this day to find a game so worth playing simply through chance. It is a feeling I miss.
My lord, I have come for you.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Yeah topdown maze chasers are cool. :smile: Sounds interesting, I think it's on one of the PS2 Memories discs. I've not given Taito's less marquee stuff nearly the time it deserves.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

BIL wrote:Yeah topdown maze chasers are cool. :smile: Sounds interesting, I think it's on one of the PS2 Memories discs. I've not given Taito's less marquee stuff nearly the time it deserves.
I'm playing on said disk - however I've discovered that the JP version has cut scenes and three endings that are affected by how you perform in a QTE.

I personally don't care about that sort of thing - but the artwork they cut is admittedly very cool. That aside though it is the same game. My desire to try the original version is based on being able to play it on MAME with an arcade stick. It controls well enough with a standard PS 2 pad - but..well..you know - It's not my LS 56:D
BIL

Post by BIL »

Oh cool, Devil REI's a big fan of Raimais and has written quite a bit about it for her site. Excellent reading, as to be expected of her!

http://gaming.moe/?p=1794
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Great read. It's a pretty deep game considering when it came out.

I've been sticking to mostly the green and blue boards, I think my best run so far was stage 11 or 12.

I did download the JP version so I have the option of PS 2 on my old CRT or via laptop with an actual stick. The cut scenes are admittedly cool, even just the opening one in the world version would have made a great difference:

https://youtu.be/H2HCLbqCk5M?t=14s

As opposed to the world version where you press start and you go straight to round one.

It is an interesting title for sure - certainly good enough to be on a list of underrated/forgotten/not played enough.
BIL

Post by BIL »

I wonder if it's the JP version on the Memories (NTSCJ) discs. However, those come with a certain input lag caveat... which I've never fully nailed down, partially due to lack of hands-on time. I know Sumez found Bubble Bobble and Rainbow Islands sub-standard on 'em. I mostly got them for the bespoke ports (not emulations) of G-Darius and Raystorm on Vol 1 Gekan, and the TATE-enabled Rayforce on Vol 2 Joukan. RF and Thunder Fox (Vol 2 Gekan) seem to play great, I've cleared both without noticing much amiss... maybe by that point they'd sorted themselves out.

I still got RF on Saturn just to be sure though. Actually I would've anyway! Not Gun Frontier or Gekirindan though, those SS ports are kinda janky!

Gave GB Milon a go this afternoon. Wondered if, with it being a very late (1993) conversion of a smash 80s hit, it might have some Arrange Modo goodness going on.

Not really. It's basically Meikyuu Kumikyoku EZ TYPE. Sometimes for design reasons, mostly due to struggling game speed. The sanding down of the FC's rather mean difficulty makes the treasure hunt a bit more immediately likable... but had the FC one been this unassuming, I'd probably not have been interested to begin with. Although the god-awful run startup seems reined in, enemies and bosses are so tamed (even ignoring the slowdown), the point is moot. Likable enough, and recommendable to those wanting an easy-going adventure, but of no interest to players craving a realisation of the FC's missed arcadey potential.

Most of the polish seems to have gone into the boss and ending graphics, whose detail far surpasses the FC's. The "dragon type" and "bird type" bosses are now distinct entities, with their reduxes more visually distinct than the FC's mere palette swaps. Bird #1 is a cool Gradius II Phoenix-esque. Bird #2 is a fuckin seagull. The "literal turd" types are now more rock golem / armoured rock golem, which is nice I guess but nowhere as creepy. They also gain dedicated "ouch!" frames, which tbh would be really fuckin useful on FC with its vague hit sfx.

Appropriately for a spiky turd, he wears an expression of great suffering! :O
Spoiler

Ending pics are lovely. Reminds me of Link's Awakening, aexcerrent! And sheeit, ma boy MIRON gon get some SWEET ELF PRINCESS PUSSY 2Nite! :shock:
Spoiler

Yo! You see any valiant prince taking care of business? :o Pfft. MIRON had to Rambo the whole joint.
Spoiler

NO WONDER SHE WANT THAT TWINKY FARM BOI DICK
Spoiler

*distant violent banging*
Spoiler

Hey it's GARLAND CASTLE in JP too! I never confirmed if that was just some NES BULLSHIET.

Short list of small changes I noticed
-Lightning bolts can no longer cheapshot Milon during the lengthy door-opening sequence. Quality!
-However, entering doors is annoyingly specific, and you can no longer shoot down bolts... so uh, kinda moot.
-Lower game speed, and enemy shot frequency only a third of the FC's. ZZZ *snort* FUC, I feel asleep!

-Snazzy new equipment subscreen on [select]
-Nice new dungeon BGM for the second floor up, I might miss this going back to FC.
-Password option, eh.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Too bad Yuumais isn't as good as the original Raimais or the NES Arkanoid port. I also have a soft spot for Pac-Man style games and maze chasers. Lock 'n Chase on the GB is good stuff.
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

Ah, Raimais is a cult classic. My uncle had the JP version in his arcade, the competition had the world version.
He would get upset knowing that I would go and watch people playing the world version at the other arcade (they also had Xybots and the Indiana game).
I remember writing about it in a version of something I wrote in the past, and I forgot about (Untold tales of the arcade? I am not googling it just to see if my memory has become this bad).

BIL: The review is excellent, thank you! I think that the lag you experience is a game feature. You don't turn immediately because the tripod (or whatever it is) does 90-degree curves, so it is supposed to take some momentum and time to complete them. There may be added lag, though, on the ports. I am listening to the OST now, which is a little gem of '80s style Zuntata electronic art (I wonder who did this...OGR? EDIT: MAR, nevermind). I could listen to the main and ending themes for hours on end, really.

One thing from the review:
DevilREI wrote:and our heroine — yes, heroine —
traditionally, arcades had an almost even clientèle, gender-wise. Maze and puzzle games were something of a "women's genres" - my mother adored this and Pac Mania, case in point.

Modern console gaming and all the SJW nonsense around it represent a massive cultural regression when it comes to gender matters.
But the worst thread in the world serves well the purpose to lampoon this rubbish :lol:
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

And yeah I can't imagine SFC Wild Guns ever feeling outmoded. It plays too damn smoothly, and the tighter resolution has its own charm.
No need to imagine when you can try it for yourself and see how it managed to pull that off.... also it comes with (optional) scanlines. I vastly prefer Reloaded. Quite the tasteful enhancement.
Last edited by Strider77 on Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Damn Tim, you know there are quite a few Americans out there who still lives in tents due to this shitty economy, and you're dropping loads on a single game which only last 20 min. Do you think it's fair? How much did you spend this time?
BIL

Post by BIL »

Sounds good, just need a machine that can run my copy. :lol: I swear I'll finally quit dicking about and get going with TNWAA!
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

I really hope it's gonna be called TNWAA.
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

...general opinion on Ninja Baseball Batman? I am half-tempted to 1-CC it, it's not very difficult.
WelshMegalodon

Post by WelshMegalodon »

I thought everyone loved it. Even Ye Olde Angry Nerde did a video on how awesome it was.
Indie hipsters: "Arcades are so dead"
Finite Continues? Ain't that some shit.
RBelmont wrote:A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

Ok, 1-CC'd after roughly three weeks of practice, using the red N.B. Batman (I forgot the name).
Bosses are rather easy with some practice, and progressing slowly allows the player to control (to some extent) the number of enemies on screen.
I did use save states to practice bosses, though.
I lost one life on the Texas (4th stage) boss and the last boss...due to time out, meh.
It is really a funny game, but I am surprised at myself for the quick result, even though I would hardly call this a hard game (anything by Capcom beats it).
I could try a 1-LC.

Ah, good ol' Irem...

Also, opinions on DECO's Crude Buster/i]?
BIL

Post by BIL »

Randorama wrote:Also, opinions on DECO's Crude Buster?
One of those arcade games that received an aesthetically downsized but significantly tightened-up home port, via the Mega Drive. Via Skye:

viewtopic.php?p=1288783#p1288783
__SKYe wrote:
BIL wrote:Interesting to hear a direct AC/MD comparison - the one thing I could've swore I remembered from my brief time with the former was the jumpkick not behaving the same (no multi-hit, IIRC). That and "WHATTA DAY," of course!
Spent a very brief time with it, but some things are immediately clear:

- Jump kick is non-controllable (ala Castlevania/Makaimura); This means no multi-hit, like you said. The jump itself will also make your character accelerate forward a bit, making it a bit awkward.
- Movement is slower, and most importantly, grabbing enemies is quite a bit slower as well, losing the more fluid "quick-grab-toss" aspect of the MD port.
- You can't throw the small stick (the one that can be used for beatings); both attack and grab buttons will swing it instead.
- The barrels will not go down the the ground plane, if thrown from the upper plane -- they will just roll along the ground.

That's what I can think of right now, but if you try it for a bit after being used to the MD port, then you'll immediately notice it's not nearly as good.
BrianC wrote:One thing I noticed with the AC version is that while it lacks the brief enemy invulnerability time of the MD version, it's also possible for the enemies to hit you multiple times.
Ah that's right, forgot that, good call.
Again, one of those cases where the port is better than the original.
viewtopic.php?p=1294518#p1294518
__SKYe wrote:I played the Arcade version a few more credits, and it is surpassed in every way by the MD port, except for in the audio department (those voice samples are positively awesome :lol: ).

Here are a few more differences:

- The jump kick actually hits multiple times, but only in the direction you jump; but since the knockback that even the weakest enemies receive is so small, you may just end up getting hurt as well.
- As BrianC posted before, you have no i-frames on knockdown. This means it is very possible that after getting knocked down close to either any of the bosses, or the stronger enemies (including the spandex bruisers, which pick you up and throw you) will result in you getting annihilated.
- I also said before that the grabs are noticeably slower than in the MD port, but there's more: you cannot grab an item on the upper plane (the up+jump & release jump and grab). You won't even jump higher like in the MD port. Definitely one of the worse differences, as the grabbing mechanic is essential for the fun of the game. The grabs also seems somewhat imprecise (ie. not like in the MD port, where they are spot on).
- Besides barrels thrown in the upper plane not falling to the lower one, some items are explosive and will hurt you too, should you be close when they get thrown (some barrels, burning cars, etc).
- The yellow spandex bruisers and the long-arm enemy will now switch planes to where you are (in the MD port they never jumped).
- No health-regaining Cola between or within stages (there is a cutscene here your character drinks one -- a Budweiser in the JP version).

The bosses (at least to where I played (ie. 3rd boss/Rhino) are also harder as a result, because approaching and grabbing them is much harder than it should. The Scythe guy will destroy you if you get close, as he has a massive close quarters range, and there's only half of the available upper plane compared to the MD port (which is imperative for a no-damage fight against him).
The Rhino is somewhat more stupid here, in that you can hit him out of his charge (whether he has the big horn or not) by crouch+sweeping (there a bit of timing involved, but still). Amusingly enough, if he throws you into the sky, and you fall on him on your way down, he'll take damage as well.

There are also differences in the enemy formation: you'll occasionally fight an helicopter that spits out enemies (similar to FC's Contra 2's 1st boss) and can be destroyed piece by piece, and a few hoverbike enemies as well.

Also uncool, is that you can no longer (or barely, I couldn't do it even once) grab the S&M dudes out of the air, as your air-grab sucks.
The only ones that still remain cool as ever, are the flamethrower dudes.

To sum it up, not really worth playing through, especially after you've tried the MD port. Or if you do play it through, please do give the MD port a go because it is much better executed.
Jonny2x4

Post by Jonny2x4 »

Any thoughts on the PS port of Strider? I bought it a week ago
Spoiler
when it was on sale on the PS Store
and it seems to be a pretty solid port. Solo (the bounty hunter sub-boss in Stage 2) seems to be a bit harder to kill in this version than he is when I played the emulated version included in Capcom Classics Collection Vol. 2 on PS2. Was he supposed to be like that in the native arcade version or did they make him harder in the PS version? I've also noticed they updated the Қазақ sign at the beginning of Stage 1 to reflect the nation's name change to Қазақстан in the end of 1991. It's interesting that they would do that, considering not many people in the world know how to read Cyrillic (and I don't think they even bothered to correct the mistake in the game's attract mode that identifies the stage as St. Petersburgh).