Ninja Gaiden [NES] + R2RKMF: Scrolling Action Monogatari

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Obscura

Re: Ninja Gaiden [NES] + Scrolling Action Monogatari

Post by Obscura »

Agreed, score extends would improve Slug 3. I kind of get why they're not there (they weren't in Slug 1 because that game is pretty easy as-is, and making a big change like that to such a proven series is a kind of needless risk), but man, Slug 3 is a gauntlet on only three lives.
gameoverDude

Post by gameoverDude »

https://gematsu.com/2018/09/castlevania ... R2YRwH7.99
https://www.grac.or.kr/Statistics/Popup ... 1d53453bb0
Korea's GRAC (like the ESRB or PEGI) has given a rating to Castlevania Requiem for PS4. It seems to be a PS4 compilation of SOTN & Rondo, like the one that was on PSP. Couldn't have imagined that coming from today's Konami, but I'll take it. Looks like they've finally made a good move.

I'll agree on Cyber-Lip. The weapon system reminds me a bit of E-SWAT on Genesis, except you don't lose any weapons on death. One crazy thing would be those boss rooms in the last level, where one of 4 possible sequences is chosen at random. It's best if you take the third door in the bottom row first. You'll get either the boss from stage 1, 3, 4, or 6. There's your tip-off to what order the CPU picked.
Kinect? KIN NOT.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Despatche wrote: Guess which one people think is the bad ripoff?
Crazy Kong! ;)

I have always enjoyed Congo Bongo quite a bit, though it wasn't the luckiest game as far as ports went. Most versions are missing at least one level and even the SG-1000 version only has 2 levels. Then again, DK was mostly in the same boat (even the FC/NES version is missing a stage) and both got a couple decent computer ports.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Made ST5 of Mountain route on Shock Troopers last night. Had literally not taken a hit until mid ST4 - took a few shots from the red jetpack men, than proceeded to fall to bits and lose the remainder of that life, then another in quick succession. Made it about halfway into ST5 on the final life, but if I hadn't choked on ST4.... I've settled on the boomerang guy or big mama for the time being as their bombs plow through bosses, though having said that I'm getting them down anyway.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

I think I might actually hate ninja gaiden u guize.
When it's going well, it feels awesome.

When it's going bad I want to shit my pants with rage.
Whatever obscura was saying about it being easier to 1cc than any classicvania..
Naww, man. Not for a slowbro like me. I need room(,) for (I am) error.

Edit: aw screw it, i'll just use more spin slash cause i'm a craft cunt ;]
Doesn't seem to help with THE LAST JUMP tho.
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

*is filled with rage and forever disapointed in Blinge*

Nah just kidding.

Different strokes for different folks. It's a top-shelf high octane action platformer (that requires surgical precision to boot), but not everyone is bound to like it.
Last edited by FinalBaton on Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
mycophobia

Post by mycophobia »

I feel like Ninja Gaiden and Castlevania are about the same difficulty-wise, meaning you'd probably spend about the same amount of time trying to 1CC either one. Both are pretty manageable, but then have similarly unforgiving latter stages where if you don't have a specific subweapon You're Gonna Have a Bad Time. E.g., Castlevania's Death is utter pain without 2-3x holy water or, at the very least the cross, and the section of Ninja Gaiden's 6-2 with the jetpack dudes begs for the spin slash. Neither situation REQUIRES those subweapons, but they are made far easier with them.

However they also differ significantly in this way: the difficulty of Ninja Gaiden's stages 5 and 6, aside from the one standout situation mentioned above, is more evenly distributed among several tight platforming challenges, whereas the toughness of Castlevania's stage 5 is more like a brick wall with its boss fight and the preceding Hallway of Doom. I mean Stage 6 and Dracula himself are plenty tough, but overall the challenge in Ninja Gaiden is more dynamic and makes for a richer game.
Obscura

Post by Obscura »

Ninja Gaiden is easier to make a really solid route for than Castlevania, IMO. There's a lot fewer things that you'll have to react and adapt to every time.

Also, mistakes are punished far less harshly.

What are the spots that are getting you consistently? The only thing that's gonna be tough execution wise every time no matter what is that cliffhanger jump in 5-2, the rest can be routed or blundered through.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

mycophobia wrote:Castlevania's stage 5 is more like a brick wall with its boss fight and the preceding Hallway of Doom.
Oh the hallway of walk forward and tap B?

fml. Just made it to jacquqiaiuaaioau. every practice I can beat him with ease.
With the pressure on I die, get sent back, and just fall apart.

Mistakes are punished less harshly? Most mistakes in NG are instant death, and there's no extends or 1ups..
Either that or Ryu gets skullfucked by several enemies repeatedly with the next to no iframes on hit. No Belmont has this problem?
Obscura

Post by Obscura »

Most mistakes in NG are "get smacked for 1/16th of a lifebar". Most mistakes in CV are "get smacked for 1/4th of a lifebar". NG is definitely friendlier.

Getting smacked down by Jacquio is no biggie, just spin-slash pwn him when you get back. If you've routed things, you should be confident in your 6-2 and 6-3.

Also, there's extends in 4-2 and 5-3. Smack those candles!

EDIT: Also, Richter in XX has a waaaaay bigger problem with getting juggled than Ryu ever could dream of, lol.
mycophobia

Post by mycophobia »

Blinge wrote:
mycophobia wrote:Castlevania's stage 5 is more like a brick wall with its boss fight and the preceding Hallway of Doom.
Oh the hallway of walk forward and tap B?
it's harder than that!!
Obscura

Post by Obscura »

It's actually easier; jump forward + holy water totally ruins the axe armors.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Take w/pinch of salt because I can 1LC both games while doing bouncing dick pushups on the controller, but I would say CV1 is both easier and more punishing. Mistakes are easier to avoid but they'll fuck you worse if you make them.

I played both on the commute home for a while, and holy fuck a tiny screen on a moving vehicle really illuminates how little of a fuck NG1 gives about individual errors compared to CV1 sledgehammering chunks of HP off.
Blinge wrote:Either that or Ryu gets skullfucked by several enemies repeatedly with the next to no iframes on hit. No Belmont has this problem?
Ryu's i-frames are actually pretty useful, you just have to be extremely proactive about using them to reposition/counterattack. He's quick, and 99% of enemies die in a shot while doing only 1HP themselves. Even if you need to rope-a-dope a little, you won't take too much damage.

The "inescapable boxer trap" and "inescapable bird" rubbish is a direct result of underrating i-frames!
Obscura wrote:Also, there's extends in 4-2 and 5-3. Smack those candles!
And in 4-1, off the top of my head. Probably more, I never went looking. :3
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Obscura wrote:Most mistakes in NG are "get smacked for 1/16th of a lifebar". Most mistakes in CV are "get smacked for 1/4th of a lifebar". NG is definitely friendlier.
Lol yeah lets break it down into raw numbers and completely ignore the context. :roll:
the rest can be routed or blundered through.
In what world is this true. for fuck sake.
I'm talking 1cc's here not spamming continues and mashing face against the wall until reaching the end.
I swear ryu's attacks don't land when he's still in these nebulous I-frames? I slashed right through a boxer!
Is everybody going to tell me it's just me and no, I must not've hit the button. :|

As for Richter in XX, I don't remember - only blundered my way to beating the game and left it years ago.

Yeah I wasn't intending to bitch and whine this much but it's too late now.
Take me off the task force, BIL.. :(
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Obscura wrote: Also, there's extends in 4-2 and 5-3. Smack those candles!
yes, the fabled "up ones".
BIL

Post by BIL »

Blinge wrote:
Obscura wrote:Most mistakes in NG are "get smacked for 1/16th of a lifebar". Most mistakes in CV are "get smacked for 1/4th of a lifebar". NG is definitely friendlier.
Lol yeah lets break it down into raw numbers and completely ignore the context. :roll:
Because I hate editing posts 3; I was gonna add, pits are a big force multiplier in NG1's favour. You're around them a lot more frequently!

They're pretty similar challenges, ultimately. As you'd expect with NG1 being a highly modified CV1. Methodical action that kills flailers dead. NG's just faster-moving and slightly more twitch-amenable compared to CV1's deadly reserve.
I swear ryu's attacks don't land when he's still in these nebulous I-frames? I slashed right through a boxer!
Nonono, i-frame slash is sound as a pound. Your timing's probably off, that's all. I've written a bit about it here. Boxers are fast-moving erratic targets so naturally it's going to exacerbate the already tight execution.
Take me off the task force, BIL.. :(
Burinju pls ;3 This is like one of those super gay shonen manga! (that I'm super gay for!)
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

I'll be back when.... I've.. Earned my place.
*Walks off into the sunset*

As for the iframe slash, let me pore over my embarrassing footage to find it.

H-Hey! I was looking at a high up candle on the mine stage and went back and it had de-spawned!
why? Sprite limit?

Anyway, as for 1-ups in general. I didn't know they were a thing.
My face when I first heard the sound:
Spoiler
This changes everything! Or does it?

NO. The Heel turn continues!
I'm so fucking tilted i'm upside down!!
Call me Edmans II

I'll see this thread in ruins.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Blinge wrote:Anyway, as for 1-ups in general. I didn't know they were a thing.
My face when I first heard the sound:
Ah, 1UP sfx shoutout. See? That's how I know UR MA BRO (;`ω´;)
Spoiler
Don't get too worked up about this 1CC/1LC stuff, it takes analysis. ;3

Then you can go from
Spoiler

To
Spoiler

FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

So... Are there parts in particular that you have a harder time with blingey-boy
or is the game just butt-fucking you in general

cause if it's some specific parts, I'm sure we can help ya

because even if the game flows well, it is indeed a bunch of mini-set pieces. (at least that's how you should see it enemy-placement-wise) that you should be able to fully dissect. and then obliterate with precision

This goes back to one of my 3 rules of ninja gaiden-art

rule 3 :
KNOW YOUR ENEMY
;)

EDIT: what. the. FUCK. I've got over 3000 posts now?
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

The problem is I really don't do consistency. I'm not having trouble anywhere. I might play the final stage without skipping a beat, die to wacko jacko..

Then reset the game 5 times because i can't no miss stage 2! :wink:
I'm sure I had other stuff to do this afternoon..

Edit: Arggh Birru Y you hearting my old Youtube comments I can't handle this niceness!
You're interrupting my transformation into the true scrublord form
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

yeah don't worry about the 1LC/1CC as BIL said.
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
BIL

Post by BIL »

Blinge wrote:The problem is I really don't do consistency.
I tend to think of solo "hard gaming" (as opposed to pvp) like competitive target shooting. Or maybe golf, but I prefer the violence and immediacy of the former. Objectively it looks all very routine and repeatable, but it's not the same when you're actually lining up shot after shot after shot!

(more RNG = more mosquitos buzzing about, noisy spectators, OH GOD HE SHOT THAT DUDE BECAUSE HE WOULDN'T STFU, etc)
Edit: Arggh Birru Y you hearting my old Youtube comments I can't handle this niceness!
You're interrupting my transformation into the true scrublord form
I dunno WTF is up with my account, I'll check an old video and see stuff I'd no idea of. Probably some notification bollocks I've ticked, or not ticked.

Probably for the best tbh. Too much of that place and I'd go COMPASSIONATE FACE-BREAKING FIST pretty quick. ;3
Spoiler

"YOU SWINE HAVE LOST THE RIGHT TO LIVE" (O`W´O)
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Awww... BIL trying to turn his soft side into HARD-EDGED UBER-MACHISMO FURY :3

ALso, admit it BIL, that guy commenting on the Contra vid has completely SHATTERED you, innit? >:( there's no denying bud! we all noticed!!!1! you can come clean!

(seriously, that guy doesn't know it but he's become a legend. lmao)
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
__SKYe

Post by __SKYe »

Should you feel the need to direct your rage at someone, just remember; Sumez is the one who put you up to this. :o
Blinge wrote:
Sumez wrote:I think getting your first 1CC in Ninja Gaiden is such a great experience that it should absolutely be encouraged.
I didn't feel anything the first time I just scrubbed my way through the game.

I'm not opposed to accepting non-1CCs for a fictional task force, but I do recommend people who didn't get it yet to press on until they have it, for the sake of their own enjoyment. :)
I wasn't going to..
..but now your challenge will sit like a gauntlet on the floor of my mind..
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Yeah. Fuck you Sumez.

I just 1cc'd the fucking dumb trashbaby game

fuck y'all!!!!11111
put me back on the task force :x

Now I'm off to yoga class, no really, I am. :mrgreen:
BIL

Post by BIL »

FinalBaton wrote:ALso, admit it BIL, that guy commenting on the Contra vid has completely SHATTERED you, innit? >:( there's no denying bud! we all noticed!!!1! you can come clean!
He's my go-to excuse whenever anyone bugs me about being so reclusive. :lol:
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Blinge THROWIN' DOWN like a fucking BOSS.

Nice.
You're sure to be in a fine haze about now, but don't think too hard about all of this. Just go out and kill a few beasts. It's for your own good. You know, it's just what hunters do! You'll get used to it.
__SKYe

Post by __SKYe »

BIL wrote:
FinalBaton wrote:ALso, admit it BIL, that guy commenting on the Contra vid has completely SHATTERED you, innit? >:( there's no denying bud! we all noticed!!!1! you can come clean!
He's my go-to excuse whenever anyone bugs me about being so reclusive. :lol:
Wait, that comment was on one of your videos? I thought it was just a random comment you found on Youtube.
BIL

Post by BIL »

__SKYe wrote:Wait, that comment was on one of your videos? I thought it was just a random comment you found on Youtube.
Haha, no, it was on poor Hurblat's beautiful Contra III/Hard 1LC speedrun. The exact same shit-for-brains ignorance could easily apply to my scurred Hard 1LC, though, given how tiny III's hitboxes are. story

Hurblat, a runner so courageous he skullfucked the st5 boss in all four of his mouths before braving the terrors of st6. Talk about pearls before swine. Image

For real, I don't engage with the internet at large on anything. Just like IRL it's full of absolute morons. And good people too, ofc, but it's not worth it. Quality over quantity. :lol:
__SKYe

Post by __SKYe »

Ah, okay. I recall that comment being posted a few time before and thought it was just a random comment on Youtube, but after FinalBaton's post I wasn't sure.

But really, pretty bloody idiot for posting that crap on such a great run. Go figure. :roll:

EDIT:Had to scroll quite a bit, but finally found the comment.
He changed his avatar. :lol: