Ninja Gaiden [NES] + R2RKMF: Scrolling Action Monogatari

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
BIL

Re: Ninja Gaiden [NES] + Scrolling Action Monogatari

Post by BIL »

Sumez wrote:Some times I do find something cool on Reddit. Like a guy who made this:
Spoiler
Cool. :smile: Alien Soldier 2 occupies my head quite a bit... not just design ideas, but also the challenge of maintaining that militant wordlessness. I wish Silhouette Mirage and Guardian Heroes had been on MD too. Or in the arcade like RSG. Anything to ensure the action is the main story driver, not cutscenes.

Wonder if that's meant to read "SIERRA" on the building, for the Euro release's renamed human planet.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

That's some fucking cool artwork! love the style too
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
BIL

Post by BIL »

I especially like the big red puppy-dog eyes on the zako - monstrous, especially paired with razor fangs or the barrel of a gun, yet somehow sympathetic. :mrgreen: Very Treasure-like! They always gave their zako great big whopping personalities, on par with a lot of other devs' bosses.

Also a sound likeness of this recurring sphere: Image Taken from Gradius II FC's title screen, but you can find equivalents all over Konami's most iconic 80s action games. Earliest I can recall is Big Core from the original Gradius. Seems to have been a big hit with Umechan Team (FC Salamander/Contra/Gradius II/Super Contra).

To me it's as iconic of the time as Capcom's more famous Yashichi, Holstein & Mobi-chan et al. It's used several times by Alien Soldier as well - check out Madame Babar aka BIG FUCKIN CRAB:
Spoiler
Not to mention Snacky The Spider, who may have only six legs but makes up for that with impeccable timing:
Spoiler
__SKYe

Post by __SKYe »

Played a bit of Balloon Fight (FC) and finally managed to cross the 100k barrier (by quite a bit) and got a 150k score.

This is a really a very fun mode to play (more than the actual game) and gets really intense later on -- especially when deciding whether to go for that balloon and risk a shocky death, or accept the loss of those points and go with the safer path. :wink:

Also got some 650k on the regular game (reach phase 30-something) and want to get the counter-stop, if any.
This gets surprisingly tough later on, with enemies inflating their balloons much faster (you can barely kill one at the start of the round, unlike on the first ones, where you can kill a few quite easily) and a healthy dose of insta-kill thunder-balls.
Interestingly enough, the bulk of the points come from getting perfect bonus rounds, and later on you end up going through the actual levels as fast as possible (to avoid a possible death by thunder) to reach them, which thankfully also refill your balloons, should you lose one of them. Of course, getting the perfect bonus is a challenge in and of itself, and often requires some slick movement skills.

Fun game indeed. :lol:
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Kung Fu Master - current HS is 313,000.

Made it to 3-2 twice now and would probably benefit from some save state practice (pretty sure I did this on 2-2 as well) since snakes, dragons, and confetti drop furiously by the 3rd loop. I don't know if I'm making this up but I am pretty sure I read the game is at max rank by this point.
You're sure to be in a fine haze about now, but don't think too hard about all of this. Just go out and kill a few beasts. It's for your own good. You know, it's just what hunters do! You'll get used to it.
BIL

Post by BIL »

__SKYe wrote:Played a bit of Balloon Fight (FC) and finally managed to cross the 100k barrier (by quite a bit) and got a 150k score.

This is a really a very fun mode to play (more than the actual game) and gets really intense later on -- especially when deciding whether to go for that balloon and risk a shocky death, or accept the loss of those points and go with the safer path. :wink:
Still haven't gotten that Balloon Trip counterstop myself... actually I have no idea if it stops, or rolls over, or glitches/crashes. All I know is it's some harrowing shit. :mrgreen: About as distilled and quintessential as precision scrolling peril gets. Might give it a serious go when I have some time off in the summer.

One of my most treasured FC games. Albeit mostly for Balloon Trip's quasi-score attack, but even the main game's good for a laugh (and is secretly one of the most raucous 2P bloodsports on the platform). And yeah those bonus rounds are great, especially the use of the wrap-around screen to make otherwise-impossible catches!
Stevens wrote:Kung Fu Master - current HS is 313,000.

Made it to 3-2 twice now and would probably benefit from some save state practice (pretty sure I did this on 2-2 as well) since snakes, dragons, and confetti drop furiously by the 3rd loop. I don't know if I'm making this up but I am pretty sure I read the game is at max rank by this point.
You're making me want to finally give the AC version a proper go - IIRC I cleared just the first loop before moving on. I've wondered for years how the port on Irem Arcade Classics (PS1/SS) holds up... I'm sure there's some variances/inaccuracies, but mechanically it seemed dead-on so I said fuck it and nabbed a copy of the former.

The FC version is always great fun, but I seem to recall its difficulty maxing out by Game B's second loop (though it's certainly still pretty mean by console standards). Stage 2's reptile/confetti-fest is a notable problem there too, as is Stage 4's hornetpalooza.

EDIT1: although going for a quick Game B Loop 1 spin, I remember now that the hornets' spawns+behaviour are static. So as long as you don't screw up your moves, it'll be the same short, easily-controlled slate every time. Still pretty intense and satisfying nailing those flying kicks though!

EDIT2: Aww sheeit, this is compulsion. :lol: Spent all evening messing about with Game B. Loop 3 definitely ups the difficulty a bit too - knives fly quicker and hornets will catch up to you easier. It's all thoroughly ruthless - constant pincer+high/low threat, no continues, death striking in a split-second's indecision. Game B Loop 1 is done in a flash, 2's already pretty damn dangerous, and tbh I'm currently maxing out at 3. Interested to see how this goes, it's a nice little gauntlet as it is.

St4 boss/MAGICIAN and his knifer backup is the biggest asshole of the lot, inspiring me to revisit your posts on his AC equivalent. Although he doesn't duplicate on FC, it sounds surprisingly similar to the work-around I figured out for his nasty keep-away game. Oh hang on... he does duplicate, just not with the method I took. Seems to do it in response to you stuffing his incoming high fireballs - I've just been ducking 'em. Get into crouch P's range limit and spam, chopping his HP and snuffing his revenge fireball - he'll die promptly. You need to work around his crowd support, attacking during a lull - he can't attack while you're frozen during his vanishing act, but they'll backstab you mercilessly.

I love the snapshot of early/mid 80s Japanese action gaming this port provides: an archetypal IREM hit from pre R-Type, ported home by a less-childsafe Nintendo who weren't afraid to kick asses off the machine. Excellence and craft all around. EVERY ACTION GAME EVER NEEDS A "GAME B" MODE. I don't mind if the defaults are geared for hurt feefee wieners, a man's gotta eat... just gimme the real stuff under the counter and keep that weak shit outta my face. Image

All that said, I've no idea how this actually compares 1:1 with the AC version. Been years. I should rectify that. FC could be remarkably accurate, or a well-judged alternative, or a TOTAL FUCKIN DISASTUH. :shock: I like it a whole helluva lot in its own right though. Image Have you played it much Stevens?
Last edited by BIL on Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Ballon Fight is fun! I have an old multi cart (bunch of pretty cools japanese exclusives on it btw : Goonies 1, a Macross shmup, etc) and I played Ballon Fight in coop (well, when the other wants to cooperate, that is :lol: ) a ton. A go-to 2-player game for me!
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
BIL

Post by BIL »

ala FC Double Dragon II, the improvised 2P deathmatching is so good, it seems a shame they didn't give it a proper mode... on the other hand that's part of the twisted charm, bit like death-racing your buddy up Contra's waterfall. :mrgreen:

Punching out for the night with FC Spartan X / Game B. In the interests of research Image I saved at the start of each loop and yep, it keeps getting meaner up to at least 4. Authentically inhospitable arcade-calibre challenge! Loop 4 / Stage 2's spawn rate is such that you really want to hustle past stuff where possible rather than letting spawns gather:

Spoiler

Be like water motherfucker! Image

Because the spawn rate is fierce, and if you park up at the stage start, you can play my favourite emergent game since Contra Hard Corps' NIGHT OF 1,000 COCKS Image: (damn ring-out!)

Spoiler

Only quarter way through! Shamefur dispray... SHAMEFUR DISPRAY!!!

Ring-out boundary is the second column in from the right! One pixel of that and yer out! Stuff won't drop directly onto you, what other tactical knowledge awaits?! :shock: Points scored for tiebreaker if clock successfully ran out. Image

As with Balloon Fight and Excitebike, absolutely essential early years FC cart. Ultra-trim high-performance arcade action with a suitably timeless aesthetic.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

FinalBaton wrote:Ballon Fight is fun! I have an old multi cart (bunch of pretty cools japanese exclusives on it btw : Goonies 1, a Macross shmup, etc) and I played Ballon Fight in coop (well, when the other wants to cooperate, that is :lol: ) a ton. A go-to 2-player game for me!
I'm glad to have the cart of Goonies 1. Good stuff. Funny how that game made it to US arcades (both in Vs and Playchoice-10 versions), but not on NES cart. First time I played it was on the Vs. Arcade machine at a Chuck E. Cheese.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

You guys will have to sell me on either of the NES/FC Goonies games. I think both of them look amazingly boring and unnecessarily obscure and confusing.

In more positive news, I utilized the fact that I finally had my FDS hooked up to finally pop in the Ai Senshi Nicol, and while I only just played three stages of it, that was an immediate positive surprise. A little light on the "action" following the ultra hardcore Musasamejou, allowing you to both (painstakingly) grind for health, as well as take a ton of damage before the game considers you out. However, it feels amazingly smooth, like no other top-down action game I have ever tried on the NES (Zelda eat your heart out). It feels like a very late era NES title, so it is actually surprising that it's from 1987! The Konami polish is through the roof on this one.
The concept is also interesting, with each stage being large and completely open areas, requiring you to search for three crystals that you can usually pick up in any order as you explore the place.

Image Image

Along with Almana No Kiseki, those are usually the games you hear mentioned when trying to justify the purchase of an FDS, as floppy exclusives are surprisingly rare, and usually either text heavy or plain crap - but I always thought it was a bit of a stretch, as I've never seen particularly positive reviews of either game. But so far I'm quite pleased.
Last edited by Sumez on Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

__SKYe wrote: Also got some 650k on the regular game (reach phase 30-something) and want to get the counter-stop, if any.
Just checked with my pall who's a beast at Balloon Fight, and his record is 1.8 million. The score just rolls over every time you get a million, so don't expect a counterstop. The world record is over 4 million supposedly.
Immryr

Post by Immryr »

played a bit more nazo no murasamejou the past couple of days. i have the first two stages down, stage three can still get a little hairy but i can generally get through, sometimes losing a life or two. for the fire ninjas i tend to kill the first one normally, run past the one that you can go round and lightning the others. this leaves me with one lightning to use on the room which shoots fire balls at you with the samurai guy and spawning ninjas.

i've only had a few tries at stage four but the intensity seems to really ramp up here. exploring to find where the power ups are is a lot more dangerous with millions of enemies constantly spawning, spewing projectiles at your face.

what a great game!
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

How do you "kill it normally"?
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

wow, here's a rare hidden gem for the GBA

Altered Beast - Guardian of the Realms or some shit
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

Sumez wrote:wow, here's a rare hidden gem for the GBA

More like hidden turd.
ChurchOfSolipsism wrote:I'll make sure I'll download it illegally one day...
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

It looks like the first thing I made in Klik&Play
Immryr

Post by Immryr »

Sumez wrote:How do you "kill it normally"?
Well, the first one you encounter is in a room with just a samurai guy and no spawning enemies so I just rush down the samurai then keep a reasonable distance from the fire ninja, moving backwards and forwards dodging his shots and firing back at him.

If you're using the three in a row shot type it's not too hard to sneak a shot through the gaps in the shield.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Yeah okay, that pretty much requires making it to that guy with a shot upgrade from the previous stage though :D
You might as well just waste a lightning power on him then, (as there's one right at the end of the stage preceding the castle), and backtrack to the one you find in the same castle.

With no upgrades I think it takes me like 10-20 tries to get a single shot inbetween his shield, and over the time it takes to kill him off, I'm almost certain to have taken a hit or two from him anyway :\ Maybe I just suck, hehe.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

BrianC wrote: I'm glad to have the cart of Goonies 1. Good stuff. Funny how that game made it to US arcades (both in Vs and Playchoice-10 versions), but not on NES cart. First time I played it was on the Vs. Arcade machine at a Chuck E. Cheese.
Didn't know Goonies 1 made it stateside on the arcade! That's pretty cool!
Sumez wrote:Ai Senshi Nicol
That game looks and feels a bit like Guardian Legend (which I adore). It has my interest
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Immryr

Post by Immryr »

Sumez wrote:Yeah okay, that pretty much requires making it to that guy with a shot upgrade from the previous stage though :D
You might as well just waste a lightning power on him then, (as there's one right at the end of the stage preceding the castle), and backtrack to the one you find in the same castle.

With no upgrades I think it takes me like 10-20 tries to get a single shot inbetween his shield, and over the time it takes to kill him off, I'm almost certain to have taken a hit or two from him anyway :\ Maybe I just suck, hehe.
oh yeah, without an upgrade it's pretty much lightning or rush down and hope not to get hit. even with the shot upgrade i only try to fight this guy as there are no other threats in the room at the same time.

i really like how this game mixes constantly respawning enemies and single spawn enemies. it means once you learn where a health refill item is you can clear out the harder big enemies like the wind tengus, boulder guys etc going back to the health refill if you took a hit or two then go forward again... rinse and repeat.

it makes learning the stages a little more forgiving.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

soprano1 wrote:
Sumez wrote:wow, here's a rare hidden gem for the GBA

More like hidden turd.
It takes over a minute before the main character first powers up (not counting the screen clearing, etc power ups) and even longer before he reaches full beast form.
Last edited by BrianC on Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Immryr wrote: i really like how this game mixes constantly respawning enemies and single spawn enemies. it means once you learn where a health refill item is you can clear out the harder big enemies like the wind tengus, boulder guys etc going back to the health refill if you took a hit or two then go forward again... rinse and repeat.

it makes learning the stages a little more forgiving.
Yeah, I ended up using that tactic for the especially the fourth castle. Was the only way for me to realistically make it through! Backtrackin' like a scrub!

The final stage is actually quite easy once you learn it - there's a hidden helmet about 2/3 way through that will take you through a large part of the remaining stuff.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

BIL wrote:
EDIT1: although going for a quick Game B Loop 1 spin, I remember now that the hornets' spawns+behaviour are static. So as long as you don't screw up your moves, it'll be the same short, easily-controlled slate every time. Still pretty intense and satisfying nailing those flying kicks though!

All that said, I've no idea how this actually compares 1:1 with the AC version. Been years. I should rectify that. FC could be remarkably accurate, or a well-judged alternative, or a TOTAL FUCKIN DISASTUH. :shock: I like it a whole helluva lot in its own right though. Image Have you played it much Stevens?
Re: Moths

In the AC KF the patterns aren't static. Well they are, but there appears to be some RNG involved as to which pattern you'll actually get. I've seen a few different ones based on my time so far.

Which is interesting because the Wile E. Coyote portion of stage two is always the same. It changes from loop to loop, but everything falls in the same spot every time.

As far as FC KF I haven't played it since I was a kid.:D
You're sure to be in a fine haze about now, but don't think too hard about all of this. Just go out and kill a few beasts. It's for your own good. You know, it's just what hunters do! You'll get used to it.
BIL

Post by BIL »

I'm actually not sure if the FC's "snakes n' shrapnel" bit is truly random myself, now. As with the game in general, it seems if you can repeat the same inputs every time, you'll get the same spawns - but as soon as you go a frame off, all hell breaks loose. Refreshing my memory at TASvideos, I get the impression it's technically but not practically manipulable.

Also I had a primal head twitch reaction to the site's animated banner, thinking I was being accosted by a moth IRL (it happens a lot around here). So probably better to leave my research for a bit. :lol:

I was feeling all certain those were the famous killer Japanese hornets, but I have to give moths one thing, they are generally very quiet! Dust 'em in deadly toxin and imbue them with a savage urge to kill and they'd be quite the problem! Unless your target had a kerosene lamp or torch handy. Then you'd be fucked and out several very expensive poison murder moths.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

I thought the 2600 version of Kung Fu Master was impressive for the hardware, but it's let down by one button controls and a lack of jump kick. I don't remember if the patterns in that version are static. Too bad the 7800 version is also missing the jump kick (and even has the same music and sounds as the 2600 version, IIRC).
mycophobia

Post by mycophobia »

Props to Konami for making Surprise Attack feel exactly like Shinobi. obviously without melee or the ability to bounce off of enemies it's quite a bit harder but still handles in the same very satisfying manner. really digging the gravity mechanics too. third boss thoroughly kicks my ass on every run so far.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

mycophobia wrote:Props to Konami for making Surprise Attack feel exactly like Shinobi. obviously without melee or the ability to bounce off of enemies it's quite a bit harder but still handles in the same very satisfying manner. really digging the gravity mechanics too. third boss thoroughly kicks my ass on every run so far.
U DID IT! :)
Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

Stated up a casual, lazy playthrough of SOTN aka Magical Vacation Dracula over the weekend. It's been almost a decade!

I'm playing on Luck Mode. My main intention with this playthrough is to use the internet as a resource on finding all the weird wacky weapons with flashy special abilities that I never knew about on my old childhood runthroughs. I know Luckmode makes it easier to become godlike later on but ehhh SOTN difficulty balance has always been lol. I figure this actually makes it easier to handicap myself if necessary.

In the underground half of the normal castle right now. Having a good time using Werebane's zippy slash special to murderfuck bosses that I can trick into standing still next to me for a sec. Trying to master the spell inputs so I can further fill the screen with shit as well. Hellfire / babby's first teleport is more useful then I remember, though I didn't know you could cancel the attack until now.

Atmosphere is as sumptuous as ever. Bosses are kinda lame design wise, but most are fun to dismantle quickly. I'm enjoying it in a casual sorta way.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

mycophobia wrote:Props to Konami for making Surprise Attack feel exactly like Shinobi. obviously without melee or the ability to bounce off of enemies it's quite a bit harder but still handles in the same very satisfying manner. really digging the gravity mechanics too. third boss thoroughly kicks my ass on every run so far.
I have never heard of this game :O Lost classic?
mycophobia

Post by mycophobia »

Sumez wrote:
I have never heard of this game :O Lost classic?
I had not heard of it until fairly recently myself. I guess it's just one of those arcade games that never got a port or anything so it becomes relatively unknown.