shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:23 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9914 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 327, 328, 329, 330, 331
 Post subject: Re: Ninja Gaiden [NES] + R2RKMF: Scrolling Action Monogatari
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:04 am 

Vanguard wrote:
Marc wrote:
Nice!
I'm still failing miserably in the second world, but I'm playing in fits and starts, because this one riles me up waaaay more than the first one ever did.

What's killing you?

EVERYTHING! Those bloody moles in the first world are causing me untold misery, and in one spectacularly unfair incident last night, I'd tunnelled to the very bottom of 2-2 when some lave from the other side of the level appears to have made it all the way down and toasted me without warning.

I'm going to have to take your advice about the shopkeepers I think - the Shotgun and Jetpack combo was pretty much the only combo that really mattered in the original, but with the extra enemies, traps and items available here, plus the ghost pot, it's not as OP as it was. Think I've approached it expecting more of the same, but it's different enough to have rendered my previous approach pretty useless.

Although I've realised that half my games haven't been deaths as such, just rage-quitting due to the instant-restart feature.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:09 am 

PSA: The post above me is about Spelunky 2

Took me a while to dig back through a short train of quotes. :P

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:41 am 

That's it! I never buffered up on my Richter dash/slam before!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:42 am 

Spent more time with Ben Bero Beh. I'm liking it quite a bit more now. Some observations:

This game has a metric fuckload of sprite flicker. Between that and the jumps, I got a bad first impression but I'm glad I gave it more time. About the jumps, I originally found the jumping to be a bit janky, but it's also a speed boost. You can use it to move out of the way of things faster than walking.

The Hamster manual mentions that you can turn off gas valves, but doesn't say how. Jumping straight up under one appears to do it, and cancels out a small cloud (one without a skull yet).

You can use the extinguisher to put out small clouds. Bigger clouds (with a skull) will start floating around and turn into a stun cloud instead of a lethal explosion. Interesting detail in how you can handle them in a pinch.

Swinging lights can be manipulated by spraying them as well. In sections with lots of them overlapping, you can use the extinguisher to change the tempo of the first few to set up a run. Also, if a door opens the light will not swing through it. Interesting detail there, however I should expect nothing less from Taito after Elevator Action using open doors to block bullets.

One other funny use of the extinguisher: levitating the falling girl. This seems a bit glitchy as she can get stuck floating there.

This game has a few "surprise!" moments where things rush out of doors. I appreciate that these are non-lethal and only stun or move you back a bit, so they don't feel overly cheap. Not sure about the Elevator Action cameo as I haven't hit him yet, but I laugh every time I see it.

Scoring seems a bit busted when it comes to jumping pits. You can jump back and forth quickly over a hole to generate tons of points. You don't even need to jump over it: stand on the right side of the pit facing it with your foot slightly off the edge, then mash jump straight up to generate points. Try this on the first stage, at the bottom where you can keep it going until just before Evil Otto -- err whatever that thing is supposed to be -- catches you, and you can beat the default high score before completing the first stage.

Finally, I have to give a shout out to the headbanging file cabinets / safes / drawers / etc. There must be a metal concert on the roof, causing the fire and building to fall apart.

*edit* Just got the #2 leaderboard spot. 8)

Last edited by Jeneki on Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:03 am 

Marc wrote:
EVERYTHING! Those bloody moles in the first world are causing me untold misery, and in one spectacularly unfair incident last night, I'd tunnelled to the very bottom of 2-2 when some lave from the other side of the level appears to have made it all the way down and toasted me without warning.

I'm going to have to take your advice about the shopkeepers I think - the Shotgun and Jetpack combo was pretty much the only combo that really mattered in the original, but with the extra enemies, traps and items available here, plus the ghost pot, it's not as OP as it was. Think I've approached it expecting more of the same, but it's different enough to have rendered my previous approach pretty useless.

Although I've realised that half my games haven't been deaths as such, just rage-quitting due to the instant-restart feature.

I recommend running through dwelling quickly. It's not very rewarding and it's the least fun area in both this game and the original. Moles are nasty if you hold your ground and try to fight, but as long as you keep moving they generally won't give you too much trouble. At most land one hit to stun them and leave before they wake up. The lava physics are genuinely unfair in a few places, particularly when you're trying to get into Vlad's castle. It needs to be patched. It's part of the reason why I go to the jungle. It seems harder at first, but once you get used to it I think it's more fun, more rewarding, and more fair.

It's best to use instant restarts only rarely. Every run where you restart in the dwelling is a run where you got no practice in the jungle or volcana. Even if those games wouldn't have been winners, the experience would have been valuable. This game is best played with the roguelike mindset, where you fight and nail to stay alive no matter what. Giving up and killing yourself the instant something goes wrong puts you in the exact opposite mindset.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:31 pm 

Jeneki wrote:
Spent more time with Ben Bero Beh. I'm liking it quite a bit more now. Some observations:

Great post. :smile: I've only seen the first three stages, but I was picking up on lots of mechanical and technical subtleties elucidated here. Seems like a pretty substantial entry in the venerable Firefighting Action subgenre. Image

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:02 am 

Rockman No Constancy

Spoiler: show

Another Rockman hack. This one's for Rockman 2. Mechanically, nothing has changed from the original game. No super speed, no air dashes, no double jumps. Just a new set of levels with redesigned weapons and enemies.

The best thing about this is its graphics and music. The stage tilesets and backgrounds been redrawn and most of it looks really nice. Rockman has also been redrawn to animate like Rockman X. The soundtrack is an outstanding selection of Famicom versions of music from other games.

The eight robot master stages are mostly good. There's more of an emphasis on platorming than combat, which isn't my preference. Thematically they're similar to the originals. Quick Man's stage involves racing against instant death lasers, Heat Man still has a long yoku block section, you get it. Some enemies have been redesigned to trip up people who are used to Rockman 2. For example, spring heads are slow when you're near them and fast when you move away, the reverse of their original behavior. I'd say the robot master fights are around the same level of quality as in Rockman 2. They're generally a bit harder, but once you know how they behave, it's easy to trap most of them in a safe behavior loop.

The Wily stages are a big step down. They're all about spikes, pits, and yoku blocks. You constantly need to switch to items items 1, 2, and 3, far more than you ever had to in Rockman 2. There's no thinking involved, you see a jump that's too high to make, you need 1 or 3. You see a jump that's too wide, pause the game and switch to 1 or 2. It's made all the more irritating by Rockman 2's garbage weapon selection UI. Mobility items were a mistake. A lot of the fortress bosses are only vulnerable to a single special weapon. Pretty frustrating to run out of ammo and have no choice but to suicide all of your lives away.

This is so much cooler than Alien Wily

The special weapons have been redone and they're pretty bland. They're energy hungry and, while most are usable, none compare to the original game's metal blade. Probably the overall best is Heat Man's weapon, which is just a better version of its Rockman 2 incarnation. It charges faster, it's fairly energy efficient, you can treat it like a poor man's version of the charge shot you get by default from Rockman 4 onwards. The best weapon being a worse version of most Rockman games' default weapon is pretty unsatisfying. The only official game with a worse arsenal than this is Rockman 3.

Much like with Rockman 5: Air Sliding, the first 8 stages are enjoyable, but the fortress stages are aggravating enough that I can't recommend this.

C

You can download the patch for Rockman no Constancy here: https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/321/

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:20 pm 

Had no idea there is new update with X's sprite design. I still have older version nad new change looks interesting.

I don't remember all of Wily stages outside of final confrontation, played it like half a decade ago with save state abuse. But from what I recall in older version special weapon energy didn't drop as much. And I agree with the OST though, loved it back in the day I even idle the game for a bit just to listen it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:45 am 

Made it to the super duper secret post-postgame area in Spelunky 2. The first level seemed to basically be a more spacious version of dwelling. The same enemies and traps were there. There was a giant jellyfish near the exit and it wouldn't move and it didn't respond to attacks, so I tried to just walk past it and I died instantly. There were some bubbles floating around that I could pop. Maybe you have to pop all the bubbles to make it move. Might come back to try and get the final ending later, but for now I'm done with this game.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:37 pm 

Vanguard wrote:
Rockman No Constancy

Another Rockman hack. This one's for Rockman 2. Mechanically, nothing has changed from the original game. No super speed, no air dashes, no double jumps. Just a new set of levels with redesigned weapons and enemies.

The best thing about this is its graphics and music. The stage tilesets and backgrounds been redrawn and most of it looks really nice. Rockman has also been redrawn to animate like Rockman X. The soundtrack is an outstanding selection of Famicom versions of music from other games.

The eight robot master stages are mostly good. There's more of an emphasis on platorming than combat, which isn't my preference. Thematically they're similar to the originals. Quick Man's stage involves racing against instant death lasers, Heat Man still has a long yoku block section, you get it. Some enemies have been redesigned to trip up people who are used to Rockman 2. For example, spring heads are slow when you're near them and fast when you move away, the reverse of their original behavior. I'd say the robot master fights are around the same level of quality as in Rockman 2. They're generally a bit harder, but once you know how they behave, it's easy to trap most of them in a safe behavior loop.

The Wily stages are a big step down. They're all about spikes, pits, and yoku blocks. You constantly need to switch to items items 1, 2, and 3, far more than you ever had to in Rockman 2. There's no thinking involved, you see a jump that's too high to make, you need 1 or 3. You see a jump that's too wide, pause the game and switch to 1 or 2. It's made all the more irritating by Rockman 2's garbage weapon selection UI. Mobility items were a mistake. A lot of the fortress bosses are only vulnerable to a single special weapon. Pretty frustrating to run out of ammo and have no choice but to suicide all of your lives away.

This is so much cooler than Alien Wily

The special weapons have been redone and they're pretty bland. They're energy hungry and, while most are usable, none compare to the original game's metal blade. Probably the overall best is Heat Man's weapon, which is just a better version of its Rockman 2 incarnation. It charges faster, it's fairly energy efficient, you can treat it like a poor man's version of the charge shot you get by default from Rockman 4 onwards. The best weapon being a worse version of most Rockman games' default weapon is pretty unsatisfying. The only official game with a worse arsenal than this is Rockman 3.

Much like with Rockman 5: Air Sliding, the first 8 stages are enjoyable, but the fortress stages are aggravating enough that I can't recommend this.

C

You can download the patch for Rockman no Constancy here: https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/321/

Apparently, there's a new version with normal and hard modes? The read me gives me the impression that parts of the Wily stages were adjusted in Normal mode. Does normal mode fix some of the hack's flaws?

edit: I was confused by the wording on the game page. "Hard mode addition" meant that adjustments were made to hard mode.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:56 pm 

I only played through normal mode. Briefly tried out hard, but they buffed enemy health so that's a no from me.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:21 pm 

Vanguard wrote:
Spelunky 2. [...] for now I'm done with this game.

Give Noita a look. It's like a much more granular Spelunky where you start with the jetpack and shotgun. Much more action-packed than I expected.

Alternately it's the game Cortex Command tried to be but failed.

An oligarch walks in and grabs nine cookies for himself.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"

Online Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:41 am 

Vanguard wrote:
I only played through normal mode. Briefly tried out hard, but they buffed enemy health so that's a no from me.

Yeah, when the description says only normal is beatable without save states, avoiding the hard patch is a safe bet. The 1.3 patch is fairly recent, though. Interesting how the download includes all versions of the patch.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:39 pm 

Yet another romhack, this one's pretty good. There are two major additions. First, you can double jump, of course, and second, there are dash tank items that massively increase your speed placed in most of the levels. The boost seems to be about as fast as in Burst Chaser X Air Sliding. The mobility you get from combining the double jump with the dash tank lets you show serious disrespect to both the level designs and boss patterns alike.

As usual, being able to double jump makes character handling feel really good in exchange for the game demanding less responsible play. Even yoku blocks are fun when you can double jump. Instead of memorizing your way through, you can use your first jump to stall and see what's about to happen, and your second to get into the right position. Dying or finishing a level will remove your speed boost, and dash tanks don't respawn. Mess up and you have to do the rest of the stage as regular old slowpoke Rockman. Losing your blazing speed after dying feels like a cruel punishment, but conversely, it makes keeping it feel like a reward. There's an alternate game mode called dash mode where you have permanent super speed. This hack autosaves after every stage so if you pick one mode and regret it, all you have to do is reset the game, select the other mode, and you're right back where you were. Also, if you want to delete your save and start a new game, you need to hold B and press A on the title screen.

Rock makes the soy face as he takes a selfie with his new dash tank

The level design is good. It's fast-paced and you're always running into new ideas. The only outstanding weak point is that the enemy formations are about as threatening as the ones in the official games, but with double jumping and dash tanks you're a lot stronger than you were in the official games. There are a few hidden areas and branching paths, and sometimes you'll an upgrade item in one of them. They tend to give you useful features like removing knockback when you get hit, or convenience features like adding energy pickups to your other weapons if your current weapon is full. The latter really ought to be a available from the start, but better to have it hidden than to not have it at all.

There's a huge gap between how dangerous different bosses are. Star Man and Gravity Man are nasty without their weaknesses. Most of the Dark Man fights are a joke even with just the buster. The special weapon set is pretty nice this time around. For a few examples, napalm bomb gives bosses only a brief instant of mercy invincibility, meaning it has very high potential dps, but its short range makes that risky. Star crash seems able to block just about any projectile in exchange for quickly burning through your energy. The problem with these weapons is that they're largely unnecessary. The buster is plenty strong on its own, and double jumping removes its weakness against attacks from above. Bosses tend to be weak against weapons that are easy to use against them, like what Capcom did in Rockman 2. Star Man has a force field that makes him hard to attack, but gravity hold, which is his weakness, goes right through it. Dark Man 4 likes to jump up high on the walls where most weapons have a harder time hitting him, but crystal eye can do it easily, and it's also his weakness.

Setting aside the dash and double jump mechanics, this doesn't feel too far off from something Capcom could have made. I don't recognize the music from anywhere. It seems to be original, but it sounds distinctly like Rockman music. Double Jumper's one major flaw is that it's too easy. Might be even easier than the original Rockman 5. There are a few rough bosses to watch out for, but aside from them it's smooth sailing. One could draw a comparison between this and Rondo's Maria. Most of the game's enemies can't deal with your overwhelming mobility, but it's still a great hack for some low pressure, feel good gaming.

B+

You can download Rockman 5: Double Jumper here. https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2620/

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9914 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 327, 328, 329, 330, 331