Kickstarter projects of note

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
drauch

Re: Kickstarter projects of note

Post by drauch »

Okay, well, I can give props to that, at least. ;)
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
null1024

Post by null1024 »

railslave wrote:
drauch wrote:
system11 wrote:Hm, why hasn't this been mentioned yet?

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/kungfury/kung-fury
Because it looks really, really awful. I think we have enough Adult Swim shows and revival horror/cult/indie/whatever Troma and DTV comedies in the last few years to last us a lifetime.
If it was just the trailer then.. genius, but im worried about 2 hours of that :P

Anyway, since when were the 80s dumb??, obviously made by 90s gen x 'ers. Any one looked at the 90s recently ?
The 90s were great! Somewhat. There are a lot of things that really shouldn't ever have been a thing though [for example, nearly all graphic design on television throughout that decade was atrocious -- actually, graphic design in general that decade was just bad, and then there were the boy bands]. On the other hand, the 90s was one of the best times for western animation [generally had more detail than 80s stuff and didn't have the Flash look that took root in the 2000s], arcade games [same thing -- better visuals than the 80s, more developed gameplay, and big budgets since home gaming didn't completely destroy arcade profitability until around the middle of the PS1's lifespan], practical effects in film were superb [being a time when practical effects were well developed and CGI was too crap/expensive to use on a wide scale -- those explosions were real! That car being destroyed? Real [for some degree of real :lol: ]!].

Although, other than tech levels being shit, the 80s were probably better, haha. Better design sense, often better music but not completely, etc, etc. And personal taste might shift one way or another, of course.

Also, Kung Fury looks neato. Sure, I'd worry about how they'd expand it to full length, and it doesn't seem like something that would have any real plot at all, but I really have a softspot for almost fully greenscreen films [like Speed Racer]. At worst, it'll be cool looking shit. At best, it'll be actually funny. Either way, it's passed its funding amount [but hasn't hit 1mil, so no feature length film yet], so we'll see how it goes come next year.
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
Ganelon

Post by Ganelon »

Yasumi Matsuno—creator of Ogre Battle, Tactics Ogre, Final Fantasy Tactics, Vagrant Story, and Final Fantasy XII—is working on a new Kickstarter SRPG called Unsung Story: Tales of the Guardians: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/482 ... -guardians

However, the extensiveness of Matsuno's involvement and the nature of the game itself is still relatively murky. The main game will be built by Playdek, an apparent card video game company. There are actually 3 upcoming games in the same universe: 2 card games and 1 SRPG. This Kickstarter is for the RPG with an option for the 1st card game.

So far, the concept art looks like it belongs in a Matsuno game. Also interesting is that Hitoshi Sakimoto—known for Matsuno's games as well as for his Raizing work—is a potential stretch goal composer for the card game. Overall, this project is currently really light on details compared to most other Kickstarter RPGs but it does have the cachet of the most well-known SRPG designer around.
railslave

Post by railslave »

"When I get my hands on some money
I'll kiss it's green skin
And I'll ask it's dirty face
"Where the hell have you been?" - Michael Gira (Swans)
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Olympia Rising isn't anything groundbreaking, but looks worth the five bucks for those who don't mind another vertical-heavy action platformer.
opt2not

Post by opt2not »

Mega Man Boardgame:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/182 ... board-game

Kinda expensive, but it looks pretty fun!
Ebbo

Post by Ebbo »

CRP

Post by CRP »

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sca ... -the-death
Genre combining, beat'em-up, shoot'em-up, action game

If it fits more in "Shmups Chat" then a mod can move it there instead.
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

Some Sol Divide vibes there.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
Ganelon

Post by Ganelon »

Not a new Kickstarter but some unexpected trouble for The Banner Saga: http://kotaku.com/candy-crush-saga-make ... 1506188958

Apparently, "Saga" is the new "Edge." As good a reason to boycott Candy Crush Saga as any.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Hopefully it'll end up going the same way as "edge" and happen a lot more quickly, damningly, and decisively, especially considering that the perpetrator this time around isn't a lone washed-up troll but an active and highly successful corporation, which should (theoretically) have a more "elevated" modus operandi.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Ebbo wrote:La-Mulana 2 got a Kickstarter page:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/playism/la-mulana-2
I hope they tone down the riddles, since everything else about the first game was great.

I think one person complained about the chest on the main character's design. Kind of blows my mind. I don't think it'll be mentioned again though. She's not exactly the sorceress, now is she?

The vid is funny, and I like the Japanese and American flag mix on her jeans. It reminds me of Inafune put on that U.S. cap at the end of the Mighty No. 9 vid. Suck up a little to the backers. :lol:

I chipped in my bit. I don't think it's gonna make it to consoles, but whatever. The first one didn't take much horsepower to run at all.
scrilla4rella

Post by scrilla4rella »

I pledged 20 to Unsung Story, the Matsuno game. I hope they meet their goal but thus far the kickstarter campaign has been confusing. Is Sakimoto making the music for the game, or is he just a stretch goal? It's all very unclear. Oh well, I wish them the best but I'm not going to get my hopes up. I really hope my buddy Alex Smith gets involved with the writing.
opt2not

Post by opt2not »

Ruldra

Post by Ruldra »

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/14 ... ok-studios

Roguelike turn-based RPG where your characters can become insane. Looks very promising.
[Youtube | 1cc list | Steam]
mastermx wrote:
xorthen wrote:You guys are some hardcore MOFOs and masochists.
This is the biggest compliment you can give to people on this forum.
BIL

Post by BIL »

evil_ash_xero wrote:I think one person complained about the chest on the main character's design.
Prob a paedo tbhqh
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

evil_ash_xero wrote:I think one person complained about the chest on the main character's design.
Well she is a female with breasts and a cleavage. We can't be having that sort of thing now can we? It's just improper.
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

system11

Post by system11 »

Quick, in the name of equality and not demeaning women, make her as ugly and flat as possible!
System11's random blog, with things - and stuff!
http://blog.system11.org
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

system11 wrote:Quick, in the name of equality and not demeaning women, make her as ugly and flat as possible!
Lol, that's about the gist of it.
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

nasty_wolverine

Post by nasty_wolverine »

system11 wrote:Quick, in the name of equality and not demeaning women, make her as ugly and flat as possible!
Not sure about the ugly part, but i dont mind DFC at all.
Elysian Door - Naraka (my WIP PC STG) in development hell for the moment
drauch

Post by drauch »

This is getting interesting...
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
Necronopticous

Post by Necronopticous »

Here's one I'm backing and excited for:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ra ... rain-world
Ruldra

Post by Ruldra »

Just noticed that La Mulana 2 still isn't funded yet. About 10 days to go and $20,000 left. A shame if this doesn't get funded, but then again $200,000 is quite a lot to ask for.
mastermx wrote:
system11

Post by system11 »

Change your passwords everyone, Kickstarter got hacked.
System11's random blog, with things - and stuff!
http://blog.system11.org
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

BLACKMORE: A Steampunk Adventure Game.

A sort of spiritual successor of Snatcher, with a dream team behind it: Jeremy Blaustein, Motoaki Furukawa (and just for him, everyone at shmups should pledge!), Satoshi Yoshioka (Snatcher, Policenauts charades), and voice talents David Hayter and Jeff Lupetin (Gillian Seed!)

Pledge on this, guys.
Last edited by Turrican on Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
X - P - B
Octopod

Post by Octopod »

Ruldra wrote:https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/14 ... ok-studios

Roguelike turn-based RPG where your characters can become insane. Looks very promising.
I'm backing this one. It looks pretty damn interesting. They hit their goal in the first day and it looks like all the stretch goals will end up being covered as well.

This project looks pretty cool to me.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/19 ... c-princess
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

just a reminder that the La-Mulana 2 Kickstarter will be ending tonight. A playable demo is available from the Kickstarter page as well. Unfortunately none of the stretch goals are in reach, but the game's gonna rock. I really really loved the first one.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/pl ... a-mulana-2
Ruldra

Post by Ruldra »

By the way, is the PC version of La Mulana not freeware anymore? There's no download link in the main site - although you can still find it for download in old sites.
mastermx wrote:
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Fudoh wrote:just a reminder that the La-Mulana 2 Kickstarter will be ending tonight. A playable demo is available from the Kickstarter page as well. Unfortunately none of the stretch goals are in reach, but the game's gonna rock. I really really loved the first one.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/pl ... a-mulana-2

I was a little disappointed in how much the game looked EXACTLY like La-Mulana. I was hoping for it to look at wee bit different. This is sorta like the Mega Man games. :lol:
That being said, this demo is from really early in development, so it may look different later.

I chipped in my cash. I'm hoping the best for Nigoro.

I wonder how much money Platinum could raise on Kickstarter? I have the feeling they wouldn't have had to go to Nintendo for Bayonetta 2, if they had put it up on there.
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

The BLACKMORE kickstarter project needs a bump... I'd recommend everyone who's following this thread to consider it. A steampunk adventure game with very talented people involved on every aspect of it: story, music, graphic design... For the sake of good gaming, let's make this true!
X - P - B