Kickstarter projects of note

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
system11

Re: Kickstarter projects of note

Post by system11 »

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tw ... l-berryman

Having seen the short 'One Please', this one is worth backing, and it's already met funding.
System11's random blog, with things - and stuff!
http://blog.system11.org
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/15 ... operations

Big Stompy Robot miniatures. For Battletech or Heavy Gear or whatever (or even the official game CAV).

This is by far my favorite line of mech models (I have around 60 in metal already). I love the rugged military look to them; they are basically walking gun platforms :D . Also the different 'factions' of mechs have similar features, which means I can create a group with similar features that looks like a coordinated fighting force, instead of a random assortment from the used mech lot.
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
MommysBestGames

Post by MommysBestGames »

Backed "Substream". Of course, now I hope he can finish it! (4 years in the making...)

Looks like a nice, cell-shaded shooter with backgrounds that act along to the music, also has some coordinate-warping element... that repeats everything horizontally.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/be ... nav_search
Alpha trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGuAvsS ... e=youtu.be
Made a giant arcade-adventure: Pig Eat Ball. Also made shmup with multi-ships: Shoot 1UP DX, Gunstacking game: Serious Sam Double D XXL, and more shooters.
MommysBestGames

First off... they cancelled the Substream kickstarter... booh! It looked so cool. But fortunately didn't lose any money on it.

Next up: Red Cobra:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/37551334/red-cobra
Pretty looking, has a twin stick controls, and it's scrolling... then also claims there will be some Metroidvania exploration levels! Because... sure, why not. Anyway, pretty art.
I was concerned from the video about how small and sometimes unreadable the enemy bullets are, and asked one of the devs on facebook. They said they'll try to make them bigger. So, that's nice.
Made a giant arcade-adventure: Pig Eat Ball. Also made shmup with multi-ships: Shoot 1UP DX, Gunstacking game: Serious Sam Double D XXL, and more shooters.
Vexorg

Post by Vexorg »

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/hd ... ent-cables

This looks like it could be of interest to some people here. These people are making component video cables for Super NES and Genesis systems that can be used without any hardware modding. They're a little on the expensive side ($35 apiece for the cables) and compatibility is somewhat limited due to hardware variations, but this looks like it could be a good way to solve the problem of using older systems on newer TVs.
We want you, save our planet!
Xbox Live: Vexorg | The Sledgehammer - Version 2.0
Ruldra

Post by Ruldra »

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/12 ... elike-like

FTL meets Mad Max. Looks very interesting.

EDIT: Funded!
[Youtube | 1cc list | Steam]
mastermx wrote:
xorthen wrote:You guys are some hardcore MOFOs and masochists.
This is the biggest compliment you can give to people on this forum.
MommysBestGames

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/im ... tarr-mazer
"Point-and-Click Adventure Shoot 'em Up"
If you're done throwing up, take a look, because the art is gorgeous.

Ambitious sounding too, if they pull it off, it could be very interesting! But then it reminds me a touch of Sigma Star Saga... which I wanted to like, but I got tired of the shooting segments...
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

You're sure to be in a fine haze about now, but don't think too hard about all of this. Just go out and kill a few beasts. It's for your own good. You know, it's just what hunters do! You'll get used to it.
opt2not

Post by opt2not »

MommysBestGames wrote:https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/im ... tarr-mazer
"Point-and-Click Adventure Shoot 'em Up"
If you're done throwing up, take a look, because the art is gorgeous.

Ambitious sounding too, if they pull it off, it could be very interesting! But then it reminds me a touch of Sigma Star Saga... which I wanted to like, but I got tired of the shooting segments...
I backed this! I really love the art style. Too many games these days make Pixel art for the sake of pixel art, rather than actually hitting a proper style. I feel these guys nailed the overall look, and the seamless transitions from P&C to Shmup is pretty fucking cool. :D
It also looks like the shmup parts have some P&C adventure elements in it as well, which IMO is awesome...not all shmup gameplay needs to be about hi-scoring, and it's refreshing to see a dev team use this genre in a different way. Looking forward to this game ten-fold!
SriK

Post by SriK »

Oh hey, I didn't see there was a dedicated thread for Kickstarters. I got linked to this forum because you guys were talking about my game in this other thread, though I've had an account (and been lurking) for a while.
Image Image
So hey, I'm Sri, the programmer and composer for Steel Assault! It's a 2D side-scrolling action game for PC, set in the year 2040 after revolts and fascist uprising have shocked the United States. The game's aesthetic is inspired by late 8-bit games on the NES, such as Shatterhand and Batman. Mechanically, it focuses on close combat mixed with Rockman-style platforming (except with a double jump and no instakills). On the hardest difficulty, it's an arcade-style game with one life and seamlessly connected levels (though lower difficulties may have multiple/infinite lives with checkpoints).

We just launched campaigns on Kickstarter and Steam Greenlight:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/43113410/steel-assault

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=377961407

Also, here's the game's detailed internal style guide, which contains lots of info on NES restrictions. It's gotten a pretty good response throughout the Internet so I thought you guys might be interested.

mvsfan

Post by mvsfan »

The blinking light win was definately worth backing.

Its a completely redesigned cartridge connector and loading tray for the frontloading NES.

it gets rid of the zif connector and the push down tray. no more games not working.

It will be for sale soon through arcadeworks.net.
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

The Blinking Light Win kickstarter kits are shipping now? I'll have to keep an eye on the mail.
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
mvsfan

Post by mvsfan »

no blinking light wins havent shipped yet. The last update on kickstarter said that they were going to start making the kickstarter ones soon. i have no idea when it will ship.

Also you can pre-order them now on arcadeworks website knowing that those will ship sometime after the kickstarter is fulfilled.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Another interesting development in the ongoing Flying Hamster 2 saga: after Westone went belly-up, one of the company's co-founders teamed up with Game Atelier, and now their project has been repurposed as a spiritual new entry in the Monster World series proper.
Pretas
Banned User

Post by Pretas »

BulletMagnet wrote:Another interesting development in the ongoing Flying Hamster 2 saga: after Westone went belly-up, one of the company's co-founders teamed up with Game Atelier, and now their project has been repurposed as a spiritual new entry in the Monster World series proper.
Too bad the graphics seem to have been ripped out of any random mobile shovelware app. Should have been hand-drawn pixels or bust.
Kaiser

Post by Kaiser »

Pretas wrote:
BulletMagnet wrote:Another interesting development in the ongoing Flying Hamster 2 saga: after Westone went belly-up, one of the company's co-founders teamed up with Game Atelier, and now their project has been repurposed as a spiritual new entry in the Monster World series proper.
Too bad the graphics seem to have been ripped out of any random mobile shovelware app. Should have been hand-drawn pixels or bust.
Now you are just being a total asshole Pretas, not everyone can do pixel art neither everyone can hire a professional pixel artist to do massively-sized detailed sprites, especially when you work on zero budget or on a low budget, it's often much much easier realistically to get someone from deviantart and so on. But why would you have a clue about game design anyway?
Zenodyne R - My 2nd Steam Shmup
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

Man, any time the NES's gpu comes up, it always puts me into a cold sweat about its palette. A dreadful invention. It doesn't have the color red in it, it's a reddish-brown/"chocolate" color instead. But it has like three shades of an almost identical value of the color green, two for blue, perhaps a little too much of a fetish for the color purple, and the darkest shade of each color is too dark.. You know how the Genesis feels like it was intelligently designed by a heavy metal fan, putting only things that which were metal into it? The NES feels like it was the opposite of that: designed by Azathoth, instead of a human being...

So anyway, been entertained by the Godus fiasco. A nice trainwreck.

They asked for $800k to do hundreds and hundreds of different things, instead of just a PC Version. Or in other words, one year to make a small studio from scratch and then make it make its first game. Two years would have been more feasible; three, in the realm of being realistic.

I don't quite know what the backers were thinking (maybe that the team was going to be an anemic six or eight guys?)... but it amuses me greatly knowing that there are people out there who gave money to Peter Molyneux. Nostalgic optimists, I want to hug them.
EmperorIng

Re: Project Scissors: NightCry

Post by EmperorIng »

Anyone check out the horror game being pitched by the director of Clock Tower, with creatures by the Silent Hill monster designer? There are some other famous Japanese devs on board as well.

While I am not sure about the whole mobile premise, it looked promising enough to back. Has a waays to go though.
shmuppyLove

Post by shmuppyLove »

Starr Mazer is getting so close!

I should have jumped on the $30 tier earlier, sadly it's sold out. Went in for $25 instead.
qmish

Post by qmish »

with creatures by the Silent Hill monster designer
Sadly those concept arts from kickstarter pages looks like he wastes his talent or smth. Also, Project Scissors itself has a very generic look/art direction (yeah looks more like Nancy Drew or CSI Miami tv show license game than japanese horror - that was my impression from first screens but recent video of gameplay looks more *ok*), so i'm not raising my hopes high. Still, i'm wishing them good luck cause Clock Tower spiritual successor is a nice thing. Also, would be pretty solid addition to Vita's library :)
mikehaggar

Post by mikehaggar »

This looks incredible!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/91 ... enaissance

For anybody that's a fan of Shovel Knight music.....this is a brand new concept. A VR-concept album. It's an album that you experience wearing a VR helmet, created by Jake "Virt" Kaufman.

I think this is an amazing idea for anybody that is into music and wants a new experience....I personally can't wait for something like this to exist.
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

http://kck.st/1NMzRjw

From the same team that conjured the Sega Megadrive / Genesis Collected Works :)
X - P - B
mvsfan

Post by mvsfan »

speaking of kickstarter - kickstarter used to have a category for gaming hardware. they recently changed their interface a bit and i do not see a seperate category for gaming hardware anymore.

is it still there and im just not finding it?
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

mvsfan wrote:speaking of kickstarter - kickstarter used to have a category for gaming hardware. they recently changed their interface a bit and i do not see a seperate category for gaming hardware anymore.

is it still there and im just not finding it?
From the main page, click Discover, click Games. Then at the following page where it reads "Games sorted by Magic", click on Games again. Gaming Hardware is under that.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
mvsfan

Post by mvsfan »

thanks, ghegs. I dont see anything interesting at the moment for me. the last one i backed was the blinking light win, and its getting ready to ship soon.
nem

Post by nem »

Power Drive 2000
Spoiler
(gif in spoiler)

I don't back Kickstarter projects all that often, but my god, this needs to happen. 80's inspired super slick looking arcade racer featuring a soundtrack made by a bunch of amazing artists. Reminds me of old school PC racers MegaRace or MotorHead mixed with Tron and Knight Rider.
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

Well hot diggity, that looks pretty damn cool.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/in ... ds-tale-iv

Brian Fargo and inXile know how to do business, more importantly they know how to craft damn fine video games.
You're sure to be in a fine haze about now, but don't think too hard about all of this. Just go out and kill a few beasts. It's for your own good. You know, it's just what hunters do! You'll get used to it.
mvsfan

Post by mvsfan »

Did anyone here back and get their kickstarter Blinking light win yet?

Hows the fit on the connector?
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

In case anyone didn't already see it, Shenmue 3.