Yumi's Odd Odyssey, now about swallowing dry meds and sushi

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
KennyMan666

Re: UMIHARA KAWASE 3DS FUCKING FUCK HOLY SHIT AAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Post by KennyMan666 »

Umihara Kawase is very much a game with a learning curve. When you start playing it for the first time, you're going to suck, and it's going to be infuriating. But the more you play, the better you'll get. You'll figure out more how the physics of the line works and then it becomes awesome.
My 1CCs so I can find the list easier myself
<Despatche> you've been a thorn in the shmups community since the beginning, you're largely responsible for the horrible face of modern speedrunning
RGC

Post by RGC »

Last edited by RGC on Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
VixyNyan

Post by VixyNyan »

KAI wrote:Any info about the composer?
This is for you, KAI.

http://www.4gamer.net/games/207/G020759/20130419095/

Shinji Tachikawa (from the past Umihara series) is mentioned there.
18 tracks soundtrack to be released on June 20th.
Rebecca Loveheart - Love & Snuggles~ <3
[ TrueAchievements | PSN Profile | Youtube | LiveStreaming ]
Giest118: SDOJ is great and the port will also be great.
moh: play games. they're fun.
VixyNyan

Post by VixyNyan »

Rebecca Loveheart - Love & Snuggles~ <3
[ TrueAchievements | PSN Profile | Youtube | LiveStreaming ]
Giest118: SDOJ is great and the port will also be great.
moh: play games. they're fun.
KAI

Post by KAI »

VixyNyan wrote:This is for you, KAI.
Thanks.

Atsuhiro Motoyama and Shinji Tachikawa, can't wait to hear it.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Another video, showing off bits of the new characters, and a handful of outfits for Umi.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

KAI wrote:Atsuhiro Motoyama and Shinji Tachikawa, can't wait to hear it.
Oh shit Motoyama!! Very excited :)
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

BulletMagnet wrote:Another video, showing off bits of the new characters, and a handful of outfits for Umi.
I don't know Japanese, but I heard the words "costume" and "BGM Play" around the same time. I wonder if different costumes make different music play during gameplay.
ExitPlanetDust

Post by ExitPlanetDust »

So um, I guess no western release announcement at E3, eh?
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

ExitPlanetDust wrote:So um, I guess no western release announcement at E3, eh?
As usual, it seems the big sites are mostly covering the consoles. Most sites didn't even have impressions of Yoshi's New Island, despite it being playable at E3. Etrian Odyssey Untold Millennium Girl wasn't mentioned at most sites either, despite it being announced. I was disappointed with the lack of 3DS announcements in general. I was hoping on news of Dragon Warrior VII, as well.
ExitPlanetDust

Post by ExitPlanetDust »

Found this: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/the-x-button/2013-06-19
BEHIND CLOSED DOORS
Every E3 stirs up reports of games shown in secret by publishers who haven't announced them just yet, and Sayonara Umihara Kawase supposedly lurked somewhere off the show floor. No U.S. publisher has announced the game, a 3DS sequel to the beloved grappling-hook puzzle-platformer, but Agatsuma Entertainment previously mentioned plans to release it on these shores.

Hearkening all the way back to the original Super Famicom title, Sayonara Umihara Kawase presents side-scrolling levels to be navigated with a fishing line and hook. Kawase herself returns in both an adult and child forms, and the latter makes the game slightly easier with checkpoint continues. Kawase's young friend Emiko has a similarly forgiving time, while the fourth playable character, police officer Nokko, actually slows the game's sense of physics. It's set to arrive in Japan this summer, and perhaps Agatsuma snagged a Western publisher during the E3 festivities. No, that was not a fishing pun. Good heavens.
dcharlieJP

Post by dcharlieJP »

Out yesterday - saw it but didnt get it. Will pick it up today and let you know
"It's really the only sensible thing to do, if its done safely. Therapeutically there's no danger involved."
Phellan Wolf

Post by Phellan Wolf »

dcharlieJP wrote:Out yesterday - saw it but didnt get it. Will pick it up today and let you know
I've read your post on the "what non shmup game are you playing" thread but since this is the real one, is it worth getting and a good homage???
Cant wait for a more comprehensive analysis.
dcharlieJP

Post by dcharlieJP »

Yes, so far it's pretty bang on - right down to some of the more , um, crappy parts which i -hope- are deliberate as that makes it awesome. The badly digitized style backdrops are gone but replaced with pretty ropey 3d backgrounds. The art style has remained intact despite the transition to 3D.

I'm only about 12 levels in and so far - yeah - it's Umihara alright. No weird glitches or physics bugs like in the PSP remake but again so far nothing in the way of crazy levels just yet.

Whilst one of the new characters introduces an "easy mode" of sorts (she can hit an enemy and is only stunned, not killed, and reappears if you drop down an infinite chasm) , i'm not found a use for the other characters ability to employ a second or so of bullet time. I suspect that'll come in handy with the later levels.

One thing that is quite interesting is playing a game that doesn't have cut scenes, doesn't have any bloat and just wants you to get on with gaming. It's refreshing, even if the menu system looks like it's straight out of the PS1 and the tutorial -needs- to be switched off!

The one thing i mentioned on the RSG podcast that might drive people nuts... it tracks the number of times you fail a level on your profile. As far as i can see you have to delete the profile and restart - that's going to be on your profile forever. So whilst i was dicking about with the physics in one of the early levels i racked up a ton of deaths. :/

Online time leader boards are in there, you can save your replays too and there's a "show me" style option that will show you the basic way through the levels (without secrets/object finds).

And as i mentioned in the other thread - 3D mode makes the handling feel sluggish and the frame rate can plummet in the levels with a bit more elabourate lighting in them. I strongly advise switching to 2D only - it's a much better experience.
"It's really the only sensible thing to do, if its done safely. Therapeutically there's no danger involved."
Phellan Wolf

Post by Phellan Wolf »

I see it has the spirit of the original game and is a good entry in the franchise. I think I'll pick it up, and as far as it tracks my level fails I think I'll be the last in the ranking :lol:
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

KennyMan666 wrote:Umihara Kawase is very much a game with a learning curve. When you start playing it for the first time, you're going to suck, and it's going to be infuriating. But the more you play, the better you'll get. You'll figure out more how the physics of the line works and then it becomes awesome.
I don't have the patience for this :S Someone tell me how to like them!
I have both the PS1 game and the re-release for DS with both the original and the sequel, but like you said, I suck, and the games are infuriating. I really wanted to like them, but it just felt incredibly annoying. What's the key to having fun with this game?
KennyMan666

Post by KennyMan666 »

Keep playing. Learn the games. That is literally the only way. It's not gonna "click", it's not going to be one big revelation that makes you realize they're great. Umihara Kawase is a game you steadily get better at if you give yourself the chance to get better, which means playing. Practicing. Getting used to the physics. How to use the line.

charlie: Sounds nice. I really want some sort of actual release date for a western release. I think the earlier games tracked falls somewhere too, but it was kind of hidden away... but I have absolutely nothing against it displaying that.
<Despatche> you've been a thorn in the shmups community since the beginning, you're largely responsible for the horrible face of modern speedrunning
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

Just to be clear, is the plain old DS version of this game worth it?
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

An oligarch walks in and grabs nine cookies for himself.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
KennyMan666

Post by KennyMan666 »

It's more than worth it, it has the best version of the SFC game. Shorter loading times, less lag, timer tracks milliseconds. Has extra fields for Shun. Has both games on one cart and is portable. Also region-free. So. Yeah. Get it.
Phellan Wolf

Post by Phellan Wolf »

It looks like the game sold nicely last week. The game ranked on the 8th position wit more than 11000 copies sold. This may open the door for future and better sequels. Who knows.
dcharlieJP

Post by dcharlieJP »

I'm guessing the famitsu review score aided that a bit maybe? 9,8,9,8 is a pretty good pull for a retro game reborn (Ninja Jaja Marukun didn't fair anywhere near as well)
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

dcharlieJP wrote:I'm guessing the famitsu review score aided that a bit maybe? 9,8,9,8 is a pretty good pull for a retro game reborn (Ninja Jaja Marukun didn't fair anywhere near as well)
Did you get Jajamaru kun? I figured without Jaleco around to balls things up anymore there was some hope!
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

dcharlieJP

Post by dcharlieJP »

Just going to wait for the inevitable price collapse on Maru Kun - too many games coming out at the moment.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Skykid wrote: Did you get Jajamaru kun? I figured without Jaleco around to balls things up anymore there was some hope!
There's always Haggle Man :D
null1024

Post by null1024 »

Sweeeeeeeet. I love the PS1 game to death, I can't wait until this is released. I'm hype.

and yeah, it would be nice if it was getting a physical release stateside, but I never expected it
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

KennyMan666 wrote:[the DS version]It's more than worth it, it has the best version of the SFC game. Shorter loading times, less lag, timer tracks milliseconds. Has extra fields for Shun. Has both games on one cart and is portable. Also region-free. So. Yeah. Get it.
Thanks for the tip, btw. Ended up getting it and it's one of the most fun platformers I've ever played.

Too bad about the art style, though. How much cooler would this series have been if you played Scorpion from Mortal Kombat?
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

An oligarch walks in and grabs nine cookies for himself.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
null1024

Post by null1024 »

Mischief Maker wrote: Too bad about the art style, though. How much cooler would this series have been if you played Scorpion from Mortal Kombat?
ahahahaha, not sure whether to laugh or cry

That mental image is effing hilarious though.
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
Drum
Banned User

Post by Drum »

I would watch a fishing show hosted by Scorpion. I'll bet he knows some plum spots.
IGMO - Poorly emulated, never beaten.

Hi-score thread: http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=34327
hecheff

Post by hecheff »

Got my copy with the OST. Loving the remasters of the original themes.

First experience in a nutshell: Run forward, pressed wrong button for jump and walked straight into the water.
This is normal, isn't it?

Also, I don't happen to be the only person to call it "Welcome back, Umihara Kawase"?