Yumi's Odd Odyssey, now about swallowing dry meds and sushi

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
KennyMan666

Re: Yumi's Odd Odyssey, now about swallowing dry meds and su

Post by KennyMan666 »

M.Knight wrote:The game is really cool, the only thing I would complain about is the step backwards taken with the bosses. If the first one is any indication, they are no longer speedrunnable as in Umihara Kawase Shun.
They are in the sense of that you actually have to take actions to cause them damage. The "first" tadpole has three hit points, so you have to execute specific moves to damage it three times. The crab seems somewhat up to luck, the only time I've defeated it so far the first barrage of fruit took off almost all of its HP. They're not bosses where you wait around until you get access to the goal, you need to fight. And that means it can be done faster. Of course, once you have a strategy down, it's mostly going to be executing it every time, but even so.

Now, the other tadpole that I've found I simply can't beat at all. Can't figure out how to deal it damage.

There's also some doors I have massive problems reaching. They're evil.
My 1CCs so I can find the list easier myself
<Despatche> you've been a thorn in the shmups community since the beginning, you're largely responsible for the horrible face of modern speedrunning
M.Knight

Post by M.Knight »

I thought that even if you acted and quickly caused damage to the bosses, it took much longer than in Shun. The first tadople in that game did not actually require to be timed-out and it was possible to clear its stage in a few seconds. I don't know it it is possible to end the first tadople boss in Sayonara UK as fast.

However, I just reached two other bosses (the crab you mentionned and a spiky balloon-shaped fish) and could defeat both of them in less than a minute so my complain seems less valid and I am glad it is.
RegalSin wrote: I think I have downloaded so much I am bored with downloading. No really I bored with downloading stuff I might consider moving to Canada or the pacific.
Remote Weapon GunFencer - My shmup project
KennyMan666

Post by KennyMan666 »

umiharakawase.jpg

First success was after 131 failures, second success was when I grabbed the backpack too
<Despatche> you've been a thorn in the shmups community since the beginning, you're largely responsible for the horrible face of modern speedrunning
KennyMan666

Post by KennyMan666 »

And there we go, exactly one week after I bought the game I've cleared 50/50 fields, gotten 5/5 endings, found 60/60 doors and 40/40 backpacks, with a total play time of nine hours and 50 minutes. I had to take to Youtube to figure out the trick behind reaching one door and how to damage one boss (I thought I had an idea for how to do it. I was 100% wrong).

I think I want to call it second best game on the system. Well, of what I've played, at any rate.

Now to start playing Survival Mode and speedrun!
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

How does this compare to other games in the series? I tried to find a comparison by using search engines, but had no luck.
KennyMan666

Post by KennyMan666 »

It's about on the same level. It's a bit easier to 100% since you can unlock everything through the stage select, so that also means there's a greater chance to let the player see everything in the game, so it depends on how much of a Umihara Kawase purist you are I suppose. Given that the previous games in the series are essentially cult classics at best, I don't think you're going to have much luck finding comparisons.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Is there any reason to get this over the DS version of Shun (which I heard is the definitive version of the game)? Since, AFAIK, Shun isn't a DSi game, it should be playable on 3DS, as well. Shun is more expensive, but the content makes it sound like it's worth the price.
KennyMan666

Post by KennyMan666 »

idk if I'd call it "DS version of Shun", Kanzenban is a collection with the original and Shun and yeah it's the definitive version of both. And yeah it's perfectly playable since DS games don't have region locks. idk how much Kanzenban goes for these days, but if it's not too bad it's worth it. But that one's probably just going to get more expensive as time goes on while Sayonara is a digital release and so will stay the same price forever (apart from potential future sales), so getting Kanzenban first seems to me like a good idea.
M.Knight

Post by M.Knight »

KennyMan666 wrote:And there we go, exactly one week after I bought the game I've cleared 50/50 fields, gotten 5/5 endings, found 60/60 doors and 40/40 backpacks, with a total play time of nine hours and 50 minutes. I had to take to Youtube to figure out the trick behind reaching one door and how to damage one boss (I thought I had an idea for how to do it. I was 100% wrong).

I think I want to call it second best game on the system. Well, of what I've played, at any rate.

Now to start playing Survival Mode and speedrun!
Congratulations! "Completing" the game in only 10 hours is impressive. I have logged more than 25hours and I still have a few stages to complete and backpacks to collect, though I tried speedrunning and Survival challenge even before unlocking everything. As of now, I still have problems with Stage 35 (I think those trampolines are kinda gimmicky), the second exit of the stage just before that one, and the second tadople boss fight.

@BrianC : You should get the DS compilation as it is great. It is better to pick both Kanzenban and Sayonara UK as none of the games can replace the others. If you have to choose, well, I think the DS compilation has more content (two games in one, plus Shun a ton of fields, and 146 exits) but you can directly support the series with Sayonara UK, and this one has online leaderboards, so more incentives to speedrun.
RegalSin wrote: I think I have downloaded so much I am bored with downloading. No really I bored with downloading stuff I might consider moving to Canada or the pacific.
KennyMan666

Post by KennyMan666 »

Yeah, I don't like the trampolines much. There's a reason I mostly try to solve stages that have them without using them. My stage 35 strategy uses exactly one trampoline once and it's not any of the three lower ones. I tried to do it without trampolines at all, but I just couldn't get a high enough swing. The second tadpole was the boss I had to look up on Youtube to see that the way I was trying to do was completely and utterly wrong. The other one involved a vertical trampoline, which might be the one you have problems with because that was one of the two worst doors in the game.

Also, playing this has meant I have some serious derusting to do in the original Umihara Kawase because good god it's so much faster and the button config I used in Sayonara has the jump and hook buttons swapped so my muscle memory is all wrong. Because I don't think you can change the button config in the original?
M.Knight

Post by M.Knight »

So it is possible to use none of the lower trampolines in stage 35? That's good to know, thanks. I would have tried using the slingshot technique to propel myself from the platform on top of the starting one but this trick doesn't seem to work with the new physics, so I'll try another way.
I am not too fond of using walkthroughs and I want to try to lure the tadople boss into jumping on the spikes to see if it works, but if it doesn't, I'll check videos like you did.

As far as I know, there is no button config for the original Umihara Kawase, though it is possible to change the configuration in Shun. The original also doesn't have buttons for diagonally throwing the lure.

By the way, do you use time stop? I never use it. I know it is in the game and you are supposed to take advantage of it, but I prefer playing it as I play the other games, and I don't like that it does also stop the timer, thus not rewarding those who don't use it.
KennyMan666

Post by KennyMan666 »

No, I've found no real use for time stop. (I also constantly forget it even exists.)

And oh yeah, second door of Field 24. Yeah, that one's a little shit and the second one of the two worst doors in the game. I've reached it a total of once, I only have like thirty deaths on that stage but when going for that door I used Emiko so I'd get two tries each life. Still so stupid.
M.Knight

Post by M.Knight »

I finally managed to clear Field 24's second door, and I was kinda disappointed as the way to reach the door does not feel very rewarding. Stage 35 with the trampolines still resists me though.
I also defeated the second tadople boss after watching a video on YouTube as you did. I initially thought you had to hang near the spikes without actually touching them to force the tadople to jump on them and lose its lives, but nope. It is just a 2-minute long rehash of the first one, and the frogs are even irrelevant if you stay nera the upper part of the stage.

Have you played a bit of Survival Challenge since the last time? Only endings 3 and 4 are left for me to reach in this mode, and I am surprised that there are only two players on the PAL leaderboards to have reached Ending 2 (with the porcupine fish). : Me in 8'50, and a kid Umihara player with something like 22 minutes.

I definetely miss the expansive paths and the numerous stages of Shun but at least the more streamlined roads to the exits make speedrunning endings neglect less stages.
GSK

Post by GSK »

YOO is going on sale for a couple weeks in NA, should be $19.99 until the 16th.
GSK

Post by GSK »

Sayonara Umihara Kawase will be 50% off on the PAL eShop for the next couple weeks, so 10GBP or 12.50EUR.

The NA version got a permanent price drop to $20, too.
GSK

Post by GSK »

The NA version is half-off ($10) until December 1.
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

60 FPS too (obviously, but worth mentioning).
KAI

Post by KAI »

BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

European release date is April 30th.
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

I remember the PSP version being regularly bashed as an atrocity done to the series. I don't have a Vita, but got a PSTV and the game seems compatible... So I'm in dire need of impressions from veteran players :)
X - P - B
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

Got the Vita version and enjoying. Definitely a game that pisses you off initially - even worse now it records your embarrassing death ratio - but I completed all the first fields and killed the tadpole boss (who's no way near as much of an asshole as in the SFC) in about 40 minutes, finally realised how to switch characters, then started over with what I'd learned and tried getting my field clear times down one by one. Now I have a better understanding of the line (still a few tricks to learn methinks) it's becoming progressively more enjoyable and interesting. Will try to clear Sayonara and then go for the SFC original, which busted my balls too many times before, but should be more manageable after practice.

Can anyone tell me:

What are the specific skills of the new characters? There may be some subtleties I can't see, but I know one has a bullet time style rope directional guide. Others possibly run faster/jump higher?
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

GSK

Post by GSK »

Skykid wrote:Can anyone tell me:

What are the specific skills of the new characters? There may be some subtleties I can't see, but I know one has a bullet time style rope directional guide. Others possibly run faster/jump higher?
The child characters get mid-level checkpoints.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

Ah, interesting. Is that it then (coupled with some bullet time properties) - everything else is the same?

Skykid

Post by Skykid »

Hey what the motherfuck kind of game is this? :evil:

I was just getting into it, getting a feel for performing various rope tricks, and then I got to stage 17. FUCKING STAGE 17!

What nonsense is this? I spent ages trying to figure out how to ping up the conveyor belt, but eventually worked out a solid technique of quickly hitting it near the upper part and pinging straight up to the ledge. I was feeling pretty good about that until I tried to jump to the next waiting ledge about three million fucking times.

In the end I looked at a YT replay, something which makes me want to take a cold shower - and it's not like I was missing a trick! How the hell is anyone supposed to figure this shit out? Reaching the apex of an ice slope, before sliding backwards, hopping, turning and jumping, shooting the rope straight up?

Anyway, I nailed that shit. And the last part is just insane. How to reach the door? No matter how many times I watch the guy do that pendulum swing, I can't replicate it.

I like challenge, but I don't know if this version is made for series veterans who have techniques programmed into their fingertips, or it's just insanely abstruse.

Skykid

Post by Skykid »

I don't understand. You were all waiting for this game so bad it was like it came with a free BJ. Now it's out cross-format the actual discussion is totally negligible. Only two people seem to have enjoyed talking about it at all.

What happened? Did you all buy it for those big cover jugs and then decide you hated it?

KAI

Post by KAI »

It's a hard game. People don't like hard games (even if this is the easiest game in the series).
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

I like the game a lot so far, but I have a backlog and haven't gotten around to playing it more.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

KAI wrote:It's a hard game. People don't like hard games (even if this is the easiest game in the series).
I really relish hellish challenges, but something's not quite right here. I'm not allowing myself to use any of the checkpoint girls or slo-mo biz because that feels like cheating for some reason - but I'll be damned if some of the requirements aren't almost bizarrely obscure. There's no weaning in by the point you get to stage 17, for example, it's just kind of like "now try this motherfucker". And that's fine, except of its three pitfalls the last two are basically maddening. I'm sure it qualifies as challenging, but I'm unsure if it's in a good way. Perhaps I don't have the patience for incredibly repetitive sequences within stages.

I'll keep at it.

KennyMan666

Post by KennyMan666 »

Skykid wrote:I don't understand. You were all waiting for this game so bad it was like it came with a free BJ. Now it's out cross-format the actual discussion is totally negligible. Only two people seem to have enjoyed talking about it at all.

What happened? Did you all buy it for those big cover jugs and then decide you hated it?
I would assume that most people who wanted it got it for 3DS when it came out on there.

Also just looking at my stage select screen for stage 17, I have 5 clears and 4 fails on it. Just tried playing it, not having touched the game in forever, and beat it first try in 2 minutes. For the hook after the first ice slope, the most common mistake you are (were?) probably doing is throwing out the line too early, you kinda have to do it later than you'd expect. For the second one, the method I'm using is basically stand at the edge of the platform to the right, face left. Throw hook diagonally up-right to the hookable ceiling there, take about two steps to the left, jump and start reeling in, then let go of the hook rougly when you pass under the spot where the hook is and immediately start holding right - this should get you enough speed to get far enough up the slope that you can jump and hook the corner of the block the door stands on, and then you just reel yourself up. And it's not like it's a stage where the hard part is instant death if you fuck up once, which is the case for a lot of other stages.

You want bad, try stage 35 (where my C/F ratio is 5/171, AND that stage has a backpack which to get involves jumping back down to the start of the stage). The second door of stage 24 is terrible too, and the second door of 32 was one fo the few I had to look up how to do, because good god that was esoteric.