shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:02 am View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 245 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
 Post subject: Re: Yumi's Odd Odyssey, now about swallowing dry meds and su
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:29 pm 

yeah i can see that working actually as the games have always had kind of different routes through the game with all the different exits in each level. as you say, as long as they aren't gating stuff behind powers etc one interconnected world could work.

here's hoping it's good. (and it gets a pc/ps4 release)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:28 pm 

The branching paths in the original games can indeed be seen as sorta similar to sequence breaking stuff and alternate paths in Metroidvanias, but with the added bonus of different exits that give even more variety in the routes. If there's one classic Umihara Kawase aspect that Fresh should not forget when designing the map, it's this one. Getting to the same ending area every time regardless of your skills and your route would be a step backwards, even more if there's a long and mandatory boss fight there.

Given how the other three games have been ported to PC, I wouldn't find it fishy if there were a PC port later down the line, in any case.

EDIT : https://twitter.com/success_g3/status/1 ... 9612948481
Art-style is nice, but aside from that : Waaaat.

EDIT 2 : And now we have some gameplay footage !
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOHX_VNoZk0

The hunger jauge seems to be a life bar actually, and it decreases when you get hit by an enemy, as you get stunned instead of dying. You can pull up a menu mid-game and eat stuff you've caught in your bag to restore it, which may or may not impact the enemy-induced difficulty. No idea what the thirst jauge does, however.

The game seems to be divided into quests/missions but each has lots of platforming and stuff with a time limit, just like the previous games so at least this is kinda reassuring.

Bosses are back and you have to damage them, but it seems that you simply have to keep your rope attached to them for continuous damage, which sucks less than Sayonara and the original. Depending on the execution and boss HP it might be even faster than in Shun, though the video gave off the impression that if you have enough HP, it can devolve into a DPS race.

Overall it seems a bit mixed, but still a lot better than what I feared based on the first screenshot.

Remote Weapon GunFencer - My shmup project

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:02 am 

Time to move the topic to Shmups Chat.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:03 pm 

Might be interesting for fans of the series.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:05 pm 

BulletMagnet wrote:
Might be interesting for fans of the series.

Both protos give me the impression that the designer of the games is a huge fan of Dig Dug.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 245 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9