Complete list of "Cabal clones?" and similar games?

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
dave4shmups

Re: Complete list of "Cabal clones?" and similar games?

Post by dave4shmups »

Specineff wrote:Would Iwanaga count?
I remember that game! I think it would count.
"Farewell to false pretension
Farewell to hollow words
Farewell to fake affection
Farewell, tomorrow burns"
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

dave4shmups wrote:
I remember that game! I think it would count.
Awesome, I was trying to think of its name the other day. Thought it was more of a platformer, shows I didn't play it yet.
boagman

Post by boagman »

If it doesn't count, it's awfully close. It's certainly close enough in spirit to be neighbors, if you will.

I still prefer the "depth" of the games that CABAL, Nam-1975, Blood Bros., Gamshara, etc. have in their gameplay (background/foreground), but Iwanaga, based on the video I watched on Youtube, would be functionally literate.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

I'd call it an improvement if it doesn't have the annoying "escape the death cloud" type milking of Cabal and Blood Bros.
boagman

Post by boagman »

Ed Oscuro wrote:I'd call it an improvement if it doesn't have the annoying "escape the death cloud" type milking of Cabal and Blood Bros.
I wouldn't call it an improvement...just a different take on the idea. The whole background-to-foreground shot avoidance and shooting chances aren't in this particular game. It's still basically on one plane of play. Still, it's a very interesting take on the style of play, and I liked what I saw.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

boagman wrote:The whole background-to-foreground shot avoidance and shooting chances aren't in this particular game.
That doesn't address my criticism of Cabal and Blood Bros. having lousy scoring play :wink:

For a long while I wanted to get Blood Bros. but ended up avoiding it for this reason. I might still get a copy someday, but for now it's on hold.
boagman

Post by boagman »

Ed Oscuro wrote:
boagman wrote:The whole background-to-foreground shot avoidance and shooting chances aren't in this particular game.
That doesn't address my criticism of Cabal and Blood Bros. having lousy scoring play :wink:

For a long while I wanted to get Blood Bros. but ended up avoiding it for this reason. I might still get a copy someday, but for now it's on hold.
Wow...this dates me severely, or at the very least shows just how long it's been since I've played either game. I honestly have no idea about the lousy scoring play in either game. Would you say something similar about Nam-1975, with which I've far more familiar? Then I could at least have a decent point of reference.

It can't be as bad a scoring system as Konami had back in the late 80s/early 90s arcade side-scrolling beat-em-ups, where *everything* was *one single point*. So, for example in TMNT, if you killed one foot soldier, you got one point, and if you destroyed Krang at the end of the game, you got (here it is!) one point. Killing the foot soldier could take 3 seconds total, whereas the battle with Krang could take several minutes. Now *that's* a bad scoring system for you.

Anything that hideous?
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

What I mean is that the milking is severe and can detract from how enjoyable it is. But maybe it's just me - maybe somebody else will enjoy it.

Edit: Speaking of Iwanaga, what settings are people using with DxWnd to get it running smoothly? I get nasty colors and no mouse control, and it's really slow (maybe I need to alt-tab out to limit threads). I have gotten it looking a bit better than it first did, but not much.
D

Post by D »

system11 wrote:
szycag wrote:I wish I could get a better look at Gamshara, hardly any videos on Youtube where you can see the game clearly. Pretty sure someone brought it to a shmupmeet I was at one time.
It looks a little crappy in person too - it's interlaced. I imagine with Youtube only being 30fps it's quite hard to capture how it looks.
As expected:
In test mode (Display Test) the screen can be set to interlace or non-interlace mode. The graphics in interlace mode
are visually much smoother with noticeable screen flickering. Non-interlace modes gives a much blockier graphic display
(i.e. lower resolution) but without screen flickering. Both modes will work with a standard 15kHz monitor.

http://www.citylan.it/gamshara/readme.txt
Just like Mr. Driller G
Ruldra

Post by Ruldra »

The game is mostly 3rd person gallery shooter but it also has run'n'gun and top-down shooter levels.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNhbEAYYNLI
[Youtube | 1cc list | Steam]
mastermx wrote:
xorthen wrote:You guys are some hardcore MOFOs and masochists.
This is the biggest compliment you can give to people on this forum.
Marc

Post by Marc »

I finished Cabal back in the day. I played an hour tonight and made it to 2-3 once. Fucking love this game though. Never played Wild Guns on the SNES, any good?
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

YES. Get it. It's Cabal Meets Bravestarr/The Galaxy Rangers. Second only to masturbation.

(Sorry, been reading too many of GaijinPunch's posts.)
Don't hold grudges. GET EVEN.