The Shmups Forum Dead Pool

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
BryanM

Re: The Shmups.com Dead Pool *now accepting tragedies from 2

Post by BryanM »

Robin was actually terminal, the Parkinson's thing wasn't ever correct. "Undiagnosed Lewy body disease" wikipedia helpfully provides. His friend went on the Joe Rogan podcast to clear up various rumors and bullshit. He mentioned things like Robin hallucinating people coming out of the TV and knowing that wasn't right. The media gave more of the impression he succumbed to his depression, when he was pushed much further than not being able to ride a bicycle again.

My uncle died of a similar brain disease last year. It's a fucking horrible way to go.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Broadway composer Stephen Sondheim (West Side Story, Sweeney Todd...and Into the Woods, which my high school did when I was a sophomore), age 91.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

BryanM wrote:

My uncle died of a similar brain disease last year. It's a fucking horrible way to go.
Watching a loved one waste away is s shitty road to drive down. You have my condolences.
My lord, I have come for you.
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

Alvin Lucier. Influential experimental sound artist. The noise community is going crazy over this one; he was a true master.

BIL

Post by BIL »

Jacqueline Avant, wife of Clarence Avant, murdered during a home invasion.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ ... 235055468/

The innate horror of home invasions aside *zip*

Sorry, just pissing on George Floyd's grave. That aside, it's pretty bleak stuff. 81y/o grandmother shot in her own home, the wife of music industry royalty at that. Invest in fugitive Eastern European war criminals, that's my advice. You'll have to marry a sister or daughter in return, sure, but it's better than your moms getting whacked!
CStarFlare

Post by CStarFlare »

I've never heard of her or her husband but her slaying seems to have the LA Times in a real tizzy. Sad story to be sure but I'd be lying if I wasn't a little perplexed by seeing several headlines with her name in it every day for the past several days.

Fortunately the killer was caught when he shot himself in the foot.

Bob Dole also died, at 98 following a stage 4 lung cancer diagnosis earlier this year.
Restart Syndrome::
Shmup leaderboards and Video Index! | My score history on RS
BIL

Post by BIL »

CStarFlare wrote:Fortunately the killer was caught when he shot himself in the foot.
Ha, saw that. Worst of the worst and a fucking dumbass, too.
KennyMan666

Post by KennyMan666 »

Masayuki Uemura, lead designer of the Famicom and Super Famicom, passed away on December 6th at 78 years of age.

Source.
My 1CCs so I can find the list easier myself
<Despatche> you've been a thorn in the shmups community since the beginning, you're largely responsible for the horrible face of modern speedrunning
BIL

Post by BIL »

Respects. Image I'm not the most fastidious with developer histories, so I didn't twig his name, but I instantly recognised him from a nice mook a friend in Japan sent me for the Famicom's 25th anniversary.

BIL

Post by BIL »

Screenwriter Keiko Nobumoto, 57. Wrote for all kinda rad shit even casuals like me will recognise - Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, Tokyo Godfathers, her own Wolf's Rain, and many more. Way too young. ;-;7
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Sayaka Kanda. Best known for the Japanese voice of Anna from Frozen, Yuna from Sword Art Online, and more tragically, Nagase Mana from Idoly Pride.
KennyMan666

Post by KennyMan666 »

Anti-apartheid activist and Nobel Peace Price winner Desmond Tutu has passed away at 90 years of age. Source.

And one I didn't see posted in here, Psygnosis co-founder Ian Hetherington passed away on the 14th of December, at 69 years of age. Source.
<Despatche> you've been a thorn in the shmups community since the beginning, you're largely responsible for the horrible face of modern speedrunning
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

My beloved dog died of blood cancer this morning. I was expecting him to go since late September but he managed to hold out until Christmas. I bought him the single largest toy in the pet store.

Here is the Humane Society's video trailer that convinced me to come in and adopt him. If you're wondering why he was sitting on a container, that was just his thing; climbing up on random pieces of furniture to get attention.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=za6-UCf2KN0
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

An oligarch walks in and grabs nine cookies for himself.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
BIL

Post by BIL »

Sorry to hear, MM. I could tell from your posts over the years that you loved him a lot, I'm sure it was mutual. Reminded me of my late friend Milano, when you mentioned the crate-standing thing, haha. His talent was hiding under things with remarkable effectiveness for a fairly big hound (he too was from a shelter).
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Condolences MM. It's never easy saying goodbye to a friend.
My lord, I have come for you.
KennyMan666

Post by KennyMan666 »

Football legend John Madden has passed away at 85 years of age. Source.
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

KennyMan666 wrote:Football legend John Madden has passed away at 85 years of age. Source.
Thanks to John Madden I learned that the best way to win a football game was to score more points than the other team. Quite a great strategy, more teams should try it.

What a legend though, and always entertaining. Probably the most famous guy in football outside of maybe Tom Brady?
Bloodreign

Post by Bloodreign »

KennyMan666 wrote:Football legend John Madden has passed away at 85 years of age. Source.
He and Pat Summerall made football on Sunday fun to watch, Pat was the more straight and monotone guy that called the game, Madden was the charismatic color analyst that would say the zaniest things, yet they made sense. Didn't hurt that he coached the Raiders, and even won a Super Bowl with them as head coach. Today's TV guys are too boring.
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

the first madden snes game was the only one i ever really got excited about. i'm admittedly not a sports game fan, but that one was special.
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

Bloodreign wrote:
He and Pat Summerall made football on Sunday fun to watch, Pat was the more straight and monotone guy that called the game, Madden was the charismatic color analyst that would say the zaniest things, yet they made sense. Didn't hurt that he coached the Raiders, and even won a Super Bowl with them as head coach. Today's TV guys are too boring.
I think the Inside the NBA guys should do all the sports broadcasting for all sporting events. I'd watch Chuck and Shaq bullshit for three hours and occasionally talk about football or baseball or whatever.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Mischief Maker wrote:My beloved dog died of blood cancer this morning. I was expecting him to go since late September but he managed to hold out until Christmas. I bought him the single largest toy in the pet store.

Here is the Humane Society's video trailer that convinced me to come in and adopt him. If you're wondering why he was sitting on a container, that was just his thing; climbing up on random pieces of furniture to get attention.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=za6-UCf2KN0
What a beautiful doggo. So cute they made a video for him. My sincere condolences. :(
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Betty White, she 99. She lived a long one.
popckorn

Post by popckorn »

GOT IN A LITTLE LATE, BUT I HAVE TO REPORT THE UNTIMELY DECEASE OF

ANNE RICE
(born Howard Allen Frances O'Brien; October 4, 1941 – December 11, 2021)
Was an American author of gothic fiction, erotic literature, and Christian literature.

REST IN PEACE

She was a based writer who created the whole The Vampire Chronicles from which stems Prince Lestat, Interview With The Vampire, etc etc...

She was based because she was a Catholic but never shied away from treading the dark side with grace and wits, and fell in love with the creatures of the night, which always had her in the edge of such Cognitive Dissonance. At the end she proved to be able to be a real Christian, loving even the most base and horrible creatures, romanticizing their search for Redemption and meaning. I left my mother at 14yo because she was a psycho; so I lived by myself, started reading Anne Rice and hanging with goth girls. Those were the best times of my life. I owe her so much regarding aesthetic sensibilities and sight into the human condition.

She also wrote the superb Jail Bait erotica "Belinda" under a the pen name "Anne Rampling"

We will miss you, Queen! You were baptized, so see you in heaven!

〄 Popckorn: Jerry Bean is Best Bean At DuckStation Harmful Park Leaderboards!
Bloodreign

Post by Bloodreign »

xxx1993 wrote:Betty White, she 99. She lived a long one.
About 17 days shy of being 100 too, loads of people loved her, and she was the last surviving Golden Girl.
popckorn

Post by popckorn »

Bloodreign wrote:
xxx1993 wrote:Betty White, she 99. She lived a long one.
About 17 days shy of being 100 too, loads of people loved her, and she was the last surviving Golden Girl.
SHE WAS BASED!
Betty White telling Ryan Reynolds to get over her literally the day before she dies is such a Betty White thing to do.

popckorn

Post by popckorn »

KennyMan666 wrote:Anti-apartheid activist and Nobel Peace Price winner Desmond Tutu has passed away at 90 years of age. Source.

And one I didn't see posted in here, Psygnosis co-founder Ian Hetherington passed away on the 14th of December, at 69 years of age. Source.
Psygnosis co-founder Ian Hetherington!!

Dude! May his Soul rest in Peace!
Dragon Blaze, Sol Divide, and Gunbird I & II are my favorite Arcade Shmups.

BIL

Post by BIL »

Those were Psikyo, but excellent picks regardless. ;3

(Psygnosis were the English devs known for Shadow Of The Beast, The Killing Game Show, Agony and other mean n' moody titles. cool guys. never played many of their games, but damn they always looked cool)
popckorn

Post by popckorn »

BIL wrote:Those were Psikyo, but excellent picks regardless. ;3
TOP FUCKING KEK!!

Oh Well.. hahaha,
Thank you for illustrating who they actually were.
I feel bad for confusing them but then again, I am a casual, so..
BIL

Post by BIL »

TBH they're sometimes regarded a bit uncharitably, around here - as I say, I've only played a few of theirs, mostly The Killing Game Show, which is pretty cool but has some typically Euroshmuppy issues (weak firepower, wafty collisions). I really like the menacingly arcadey premise, though - lava is rising, get climbing or die! With a little more oomph to its shooting, and tightened-up damage feedback (enemy waves can kinda just waft all over you, since there's no hitstun), it'd be a solid MD sleeper hit imo. Still love my little cart, I've got a thing for JP versions of Western games. :mrgreen:

What I know them for mostly is their strikingly twilight-hued aesthetics, really unlike the JP stuff of the time. Also some downright alien boxarts, posters and ads. They really had their own style.

(last two are rather big, click for full res)
Spoiler

^ TKGS has such a badass title + cover. Creepy, yet blunt as a sledgehammer, brimming with 80s Ultraviolence. :cool: