The Shmups Forum Dead Pool

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
BryanM

Re: The Shmups.com Dead Pool *now accepting tragedies from 2

Post by BryanM »

Ah, shit. Terrible past year.

I'm one of those weirdos that listens to commentary, and afflicted with terrible insomnia if I don't have something to distract my brain, so I've heard the Ghostbuster's commentary a couple dozen times over.

He grasped the parasocial imaginary friend aspect of movies and media very well. When asked why he thought Ghostbusters was so successful, the reason he gave was "you'd want to be their friend". Which is frankly refreshing when so many movies are wooden boards walking through an "and then this happens" kind of story. If you're going to spend time with imaginary people, it'd help if they were the kind of people you'd want to spend time with.

He also directed a few zany Schwarzenegger movies: Kindergarten Cop and that one where he gets knocked up by Danny DeVito.
BIL

Post by BIL »

You sly devil x93, not specifying which Ghostbusters director had carked it ;3
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

Feig is just young enough to probably make it in time for the Dick Cheney immortality serum. He'll probably be fine.
BIL

Post by BIL »

You are ruthless Bryan, I like that 3;
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Comedian/magician John Edward Szeles, aka The Amazing Jonathan, dead at age 63 of a degenerative heart condition.

I'm not overly familiar with his stuff, but I will always remember the gag where he says he is sometimes overcome with the urge to remove his clothes and run through public places, then takes a swig from a bottle of Windex. "Keeps me from streaking!"
Bloodreign

Post by Bloodreign »

Sally Kellerman, the original Hot Lips from the movie version of M*A*S*H* has passed away.
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

so is this thread permanently stuck on 2021 bc NTSC-J is gone?
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Somebody's gotta change it to 2022...
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

thanks mods. good job
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Kirk Bailey, dead of lung cancer at age 59 - while most of his credits were for voice acting, folks of a certain generation will most immediately recognize him as "Ug" from Salute Your Shorts.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Aw, shit. RIP Ug.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movie ... 235104831/

Best known for playing the villain in the first Lethal Weapon. Though, to be honest, the first one is my least favorite of the franchise.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

There goes William Hurt.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Say goodnight to the bad guy. 3;

Scott Hall aka Razor Ramon, titan of the Monday Night Wars, 63. Not unexpected tbh, even amongst his notoriously grave-prone colleagues. Worth noting that he did clean up significantly in his later years, via DDP's rehab project.

EDIT: Ahh, fuck. He had a fall and broke his hip, developed complications. Bipedalism is one mean bitch in our later years, so many that are doing ok one minute get sent down the next. Later fella.

Like most small boys, I kinda fell off with the wrasslin after highschool, but that makes his passing feel that much more epochal. Hall had a pretty interesting life, if I recall. Was a janitor at one point before trying out for the WWF. Apparently Vince McMahon had never seen Scarface, so Hall's 1:1 photocopy of Tony Montana absolutely floored him, and convinced he'd encountered a genius of anti-hero craft, he signed Hall on the spot. :lol:
Bloodreign

Post by Bloodreign »

Man of all the wrestlers that have passed, Scott Hall's hurt the most. I thought the dude was just the coolest in the world, and he actually pretty much was from hearing people say it that met him. He wasn't perfect, none of us are, but I would've loved to have met him, and talked with him about wrestling, from his AWA days tagging with Mr Perfect Curt Hennig, to his nWo days, and after in his last run with Impact Wrestling, then known as TNA Wrestling.

R.I.P. Bad Guy, as you once said, bad times don't last, but Bad Guys do.
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

i was really upset when andre the giant passed away. don't think i was as attached to any of the others near as much. but that's my age. i was watching hulk hogan and macho man and jake the snake
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

vol.2 wrote:macho man
;_;
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

BryanM wrote:
;_;
I was just rewatching and thinking about this moment the other day.

To all the wrasslin' bros

xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

http://nakayosi.kodansha.co.jp/news/20220314.html

Man, and just when the new Tokyo Mew Mew anime is about to start.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Baby Cino dead :[

There was an issue / a problem, and they pulled up w/ the chopper :[ :[ :[

Blimey, even for this benighted genre, that was a bit on the nose. :o 2021 was Most Dead Rappers Ever, IIRC. 2022 looking to beat that. Granted, these days any young scamp with a Bandcamp is a self-certified rapper. Still, dangerous career path! Don't let me catch you dropping sick beats and/or insightful rhymez, young xxx1993! :shock:
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

BryanM wrote:
;_;
also i guess i should include chyna in that. i thought that was sad. basically an oxy death
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

Madeleine Albright.
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

An oligarch walks in and grabs nine cookies for himself.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

RIP Madeline.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

You might not know the name Stephen Wilhite, who died of Covid at age 74, but if you've ever gotten a chuckle out of anything in the .gif format he was the guy to thank.
BIL

Post by BIL »

A Gutenberg to shitposters of all colours and creeds ;-;7 Image
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

Ed Oscuro wrote:RIP Madeline.
she was such a sweetheart

Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Love 2 repeat ba'athist propaganda to make UN-approved sanctions look bad, reminds me of when people try to blame NATO for Libya where Russia and China abstained in the Security Council vote

ex:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5717930

I never supported the 2003 invasion (reminder: that was later), and I still consider it a crime (as a negligent fraud, at the least). But Saddam Hussein was ultimately responsible for continual genocides, ethnic cleansings, and invasions that Tankies & Dirtbag Leftists always conveniently forget:
The Iran Iraq War (launched by Saddam Hussein, half a million dead soldiers on each side and 100,000 more civilians)
The al-Anfal Campaign (genocidal campaign by Saddam Hussein, low estimate of dead is 50,000)
The Invasion of Kuwait
I might be forgetting some...

So yeah, gee, it's a complete mystery why the international community would want to sanction him. Also a total mystery why the numbers provided by the ba'athist regime, which did not let any outside observers in, turned out to be completely false!

Again, I'm not here to defend the US invasion of Iraq. But if there ever was a good target for sanctions it was Saddam "his opponents laughed at the motherfucker while they hung him" Hussein. Fuck him and his lies.

I gotta wonder what the dirtbag left thinks the world should do. Disband the UN, never expect countries to be sane and not invade their neighbors and do genocides? But hey, if I want that I can go to Twitter or YouTube where Serbian Nationalists are popping up to deny their boy Milosevich was doing a genocide on the Bosnians, too. Great company for the rabid anti-Albright factions.
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

Taylor Hawkins passed away today. He was the drummer for the Foo Fighters. He was incredible.

Saw them play live a few years back. Each member of the band got to do a cover or short solo. Taylor grabbed the mic and sung Bohemian Rhapsody. If you closed your eyes you'd think Freddie was singing it. He absolutely crushed it