Has anyone played Oddworld Stranger's Wrath for Xbox yet?

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
ArrogantBastard

Has anyone played Oddworld Stranger's Wrath for Xbox yet?

Post by ArrogantBastard »

I'm very, very, very curious about this game since I loved Abe's Oddysee and Abe's Exoddus, but hated Munch's Oddysee. I'll reiterate the topic subject again - has anyone played Oddworld Stranger's Wrath for Xbox yet?

This game looks very 'purty' and radiates radness with its cowboy-spaghetti western style.

There's a review and screens of said game over at Gamespot, and the link to the review can be found here.
Minzoku

Post by Minzoku »

I got so disappointed when I heard they were [finally] coming out with a new one. The series never should have gone 3D [though my physical inability to play 3D-engine titles without extreme discomfort had a factor in my opinion thereof].
"This is not an alien life form! He is an experimental government aircraft!"
dementia

Post by dementia »

I was going to buy it, but EA publishes it.
The n00b

Post by The n00b »

werd, fellow revolutionary brother. DOWN WITH EA! I was going to buy NBA street vol 3 but now I'll just mourn the death of sega sports.
Proud citizen of the American Empire!
Vexorg

Post by Vexorg »

Agreed. EA has recently earned a place next to Sony on my "Do not buy" list.
We want you, save our planet!
Xbox Live: Vexorg | The Sledgehammer - Version 2.0
captain ahar

Post by captain ahar »

i just bought my copy today. i'll be sure to post some impressions in the next couple days.
I have no sig whatsoever.
ArrogantBastard

Guys, save your EA bashing for another thread. This is not what I created for, so take it elsewhere.

I, myself, loathe EA too, but I certainly ain't going to bitch about it since the topic is irrelevant to the original post I made.
Brian

Post by Brian »

Are you guys serious about boycotting EA? The company is branching out into movies and just purchased 20% of Ubisoft. They really will not miss your $40, so just forget it. Besides, some of their products are truly worthy of your money, such as the Street series of games and even SSX.
captain ahar

My impressions (after a few hours of play).

Post by captain ahar »

First, let me just say that this game is a beauty. Wow, what a pretty game!

Okay, now that's over. A few hours ago, I would have gushed to no end about this game. I would have said it is really fun, inventive, and that the play-mechanics are well implemented.

But FUCK this game... seriously, I am on the fourth bounty and cannot get any farther. This is really not the right forum to complain about difficulty but this game is hard! I am in an arena with the main bounty and a bunch of henchmen. The main guy has a shotgun that has range of most of the arena, and the henchmen are pretty good marksmen. On top of that bullets deal a ton of damage. And the only way to heal is to stop moving and "shake" off the wounds (thus burning through your stamina super quickly). After playing this bounty for about a dozen tries, I lasted anywhere from 1 minute to 6 minutes, and wasn't even close to killing the bastard.

All in all a fun (hah) game though. I will continue trying, and if worse comes to worse I can always replay the first three bounties over and over.
ArrogantBastard

Re: My impressions (after a few hours of play).

captain ahar wrote:...FUCK this game... seriously, I am on the fourth bounty and cannot get any farther. This is really not the right forum to complain about difficulty but this game is hard! I am in an arena with the main bounty and a bunch of henchmen. The main guy has a shotgun that has range of most of the arena, and the henchmen are pretty good marksmen. On top of that bullets deal a ton of damage. And the only way to heal is to stop moving and "shake" off the wounds (thus burning through your stamina super quickly). After playing this bounty for about a dozen tries, I lasted anywhere from 1 minute to 6 minutes, and wasn't even close to killing the bastard.
How do you mean by 'hard'? Is it like cheap-hard, or challenging-hard? Elaborate, please!
ArrogantBastard

Brian wrote:Are you guys serious about boycotting EA? The company is branching out into movies and just purchased 20% of Ubisoft. They really will not miss your $40, so just forget it. Besides, some of their products are truly worthy of your money, such as the Street series of games and even SSX.
No shit... But I'm not a fan of their sports games, but I liked Burnout 3: Takedown and... Uhh... I think that's about it.
captain ahar

to be honest

Post by captain ahar »

as far as the "type" of difficulty goes. it seems cheap, but i have heard that with this game a lot of the difficulty comes from not approaching the situation correctly. in the IGN review, the reviewer makes a clear reference to the bounty I am stuck at.

"Another fight finds you smack in the middle of town after a jailbreak, and you have to fight Floyd's more powerful cousin, whose shotgun is way more dangerous, forcing you to avoid any close encounters and using more of a guerilla-style tactic to succeed."

my tactics for this battle are pretty much in line with his suggestion. perhaps, i just need to figure the fight out better, and be more calculating in my actions.

sorry about the rant by the way. i had just come off of my 12th try and was still fumin' a bit.

Final words (for this post anyway): It is definitely a good game so far. Worthy of at least a try (or buy, Oddworld Inhabitants' games are always a breath of fresh air, and I, for one, would love to see more of them).